Crysis 2 DirectX11 Tessellation Pack/High Res Texture Pack [Update: released]

I like tessellation. Now if someone were only to make a game where the gameplay involved looking closely at the virtual world around you, instead of running around like a lunatic shooting at space aliens.
 

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Hawk269 said:
There is a download link, but it does nothing. Are these out and my comp. is messing up?
The page was accidentally found. It's not ready for release yet. It must be soon though. Hopefully this week.
 
qazqaNii said:
Isn't the bricks with tesselation off, more realistic? I mean most apartments with bricks are made in one clean line and I barely see any houses made with bricks like that.

Well I will just go shit bricks for now.
I'll admit, yeah, the bricks look way too worn and rounded for even an old NYC building (not that I've ever been to NY...)

Pulling the junior card on him? That's classy...
Hmm? It has nothing to do with him being a junior, it's on him being a huge douche.
 
jim-jam bongs said:
What the fuck? I'm saying he's being extremely aggressive with his posts which can be a death-sentence when you're a junior member, I'm not having a go at him.
Then I didn't say anything.

I just see people using it all the time just to be a dick.
 

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Vitet said:
For blind people:

Every brick has volume now, in DX9 it's just a flat textured surface
All the ruckus at release due the lack of DX11 support is pretty funny right now.
 

Raistlin

Post Count: 9999
sp3000 said:
It's still essentially a lazy substitute for actually hand making high poly models.
Traditional tessellation is the opposite. The models are really high res, and lose geometry as you move away. It's not just making up polys as you get closer.
 

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Fersis said:
All the ruckus at release due the lack of DX11 support is pretty funny right now.
DX11 is not just tessellation. Try reading the webpage the op linked to that showed the other half dozen or so improvements that the new DX11 patch will introduce.
 

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
cyberheater said:
DX11 is not just tessellation. Try reading the webpage the op linked to that showed the other half dozen or so improvements that the new DX11 patch will introduce.
I know dude im just joking. ^__^

cyberheater said:
It's hard to tell with all the trolling happening in this thread...
Sorry.
Though those two shots arent a good showcase of the new features.
 

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
RedSwirl said:
Far Cry 2 ended up being an incredibly shallow game though for how wide it was. Whenever such a sandbox game is made on consoles there have always been sacrifices somewhere whether it's model detail, AI, or general depth of level design. That's why stuff like Crysis 1 and STALKER are PC only, the only exceptions being Bethesda's games.

I think Crytek said that the main issue with Crysis 1 and consoles was insufficient RAM.
I think this reasoning is specious, because you're basically cherry picking the good PC only sandbox games and ignoring all the not so good ones, and vice versa. Then the biased selection is used to justify the argument that technical limitations are solely to blame for design decisions.

The fact is, all those titles ran just fine on unimpressive PC hardware. The graphics would not have survived the transition but I don't see why the gameplay couldn't.
 
jim-jam bongs said:
What's the over/under on BlackDove making it to full member status?
He's trying too hard already.
qazqaNii said:
Isn't the bricks with tesselation off, more realistic? I mean most apartments with bricks are made in one clean line and I barely see any houses made with bricks like that.
Only if your house is made out of cardboard and painted with a brick pattern would it look like the "tesselation off" pic. Though the tesselation on those rocks is a bit much. There seems to be a tendency for tesselation to be used for the obvious instead of the more appealing subtle, I guess to show off the effect or something. Like the overuse of bloom, an in-your-face display of "isn't this awesome?" The ideal would be something between the original and the jutting bricks of the tesselated pic, but I guess we'll have to wait for the technique to mature before we start seeing it used more effectively.

Not that it isn't impressive. It's a marked improvement; the addition of depth can help virtually any scene. But I prefer a more low-key approach.
 

Easy_D

never left the stone age
DennisK4 said:
Why the fucking hell are they releasing high res textures now instead of having them as an option at release?

Now I had to play through with inferior textures.

Sick and tired of this shit. The way things are going I have to shelve most new games for 6 months before I can play them.
At least it's slightly better than having to wait a few years for fans to make nice textures (Hello, Elder Scrolls)
 
Raistlin said:
Since it requires 64-bit, I suspect it was more complicated than that.
if it needs more than 3 gb of ram then sure 64 bit would be needed. But crysis 2 was built around console hardware limitations and thats ~450mb. So either its bullshit or this download is going to be a HUGE bastard of a file.
 
Deadbeat said:
if it needs more than 3 gb of ram then sure 64 bit would be needed. But crysis 2 was built around console hardware limitations and thats ~450mb. So either its bullshit or this download is going to be a HUGE bastard of a file.
... what would console RAM limits have to do with the high-resolution, PC-only texture pack?
 
Raistlin said:
Since it requires 64-bit, I suspect it was more complicated than that.
Unless they store all their textures in one big encrypted file when you install it, why would it matter.
And if they do , then that is their fault.

I don't remember the huge fallout 3 texture packs etc needing a 64 bit file system.

I just read the post above, if the game is going to need 4 GB of ram (yeah, right) with this texture pack, that's still not an excuse for not having at least semi decent textures for the pc version.

The textures in the game at release are awful.
 

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Have they fixed the shitty single-player AI yet?
Nope, they're still dumb as ever. It's a blessing and a curse for me. I laugh when they do something monumentally stupid, but I also love toying with them.
 
I'm still on a DX10 card. There isn't a DX11 game that's made me want to rush out and upgrade. This update, while nice, isn't going to be the one either. Considering that guy from DICE tweeted that those awesome BF3 screens didn't have DX11 enabled makes my waiting game even easier.
 
Deadbeat said:
Because you only need 64 bit if your memory usage goes over 3.2gb. Crysis 2 was less than 1 gb EVERYWHERE cause it was a console port.
Okay, seriously now. What does Crysis 2 being a console port have to do with the memory requirements of the PC-only, high-resolution texture pack addon? I'm getting confused here. You people seem to be saying that because the textures take up only 450mb RAM on a console, that's all they'll take up on a PC as well, even if they are higher resolution.

So I honestly don't get what you're saying.
 
I was going to complain since I only just literally finished the game, but the differences aren't that huge and I enjoyed playing it with MAXIMUM performance. Ran like butter all the way through at Extreme everything.
 
Suairyu said:
You people seem to be saying that because the textures take up only 450mb RAM on a console, that's all they'll take up on a PC as well, even if they are higher resolution.
Noone is saying that. The point is you only need 64 bit support for more than 3.2gb of ram. Crysis 2 doesnt use that much. What makes you think that when they release this pack its going to increase ram usage 6 times its normal amount? Is the download going to be 10gb?
 

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Deadbeat said:
Noone is saying that. The point is you only need 64 bit support for more than 3.2gb of ram. Crysis 2 doesnt use that much. What makes you think that when they release this pack its going to increase ram usage 6 times its normal amount? Is the download going to be 10gb?
A lot of devs talked about upcoming 64-bit only optimizations in the past. Maybe Crytek is making heavy use of them in the patch.
 

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
nib95 said:
I was going to complain since I only just literally finished the game, but the differences aren't that huge and I enjoyed playing it with MAXIMUM performance. Ran like butter all the way through at Extreme everything.
Now you have an excuse for a second playthrough!
 
Crakatak187 said:
What's POM?
Parallax Occlusion Mapping

It's basically making a texture seem pop out and have a 3D effect relative to the player.
It doesn't have actual geometry like tessellation does.

Edit: Does displacement mapping create actual geometry?