• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crysis 2: First PS3 footage | PS3 Multiplayer Demo March 16th

StuBurns

Banned
Cornbread78 said:
I mean for consoles with all the talk from Gabe. I will have to wait and see, sometimes you just have to fear the "Bayonetta effect" on a port...
There's no way Valve would ship any product in that state. Both console versions of Portal 2 will be perfectly playable.

The Omega Man said:
lol I doesn't help that Killzone 3 literally puts this engine to shame at least on the PS3.
i know crytek made some bold claims early on, but if you understand the kind of multiplatform tools this engine has you'd be amazed. you can work on your dev PC and instantly see how the new level/textures/whatever look and play on your 360 and ps3 dev kits side by side. that's amazing really and it has the potential of leading to the PS3 getting better multiplatform support.

that said, you can't really expect a dedicated engine designed for one game and one platform to be surpassed by a multiplatform engine like CryEngine 3 (but again, if you want to call out Crytek for their unrealistic promises, feel free).

StuBurns

Banned
jett said:
Isn't this game less then a month away, and aren't these videos are direct from Crytek? Keep the faith alive.
The game isn't far off, but that's no indication these builds aren't old. And no, they're from EA, Crytek mentioned it last week. The version they showed on the Gamespot video the other day was notably smoother than the video EA put out.

I'm not saying they'll hit 30 solid or anything, but I wouldn't write them off as incompetent just yet.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
downloaded the 150mb 720p file from gamersyde

It looks like the game was running at sub 720p resolution, and below 30fps at that. But again it's just a clip and my eyes aren't accurate measuring tools so :p

Corky said:
downloaded the 150mb 720p file from gamersyde

It looks like the game was running at sub 720p resolution, and below 30fps at that. But again it's just a clip and my eyes aren't accurate measuring tools so :p
the 360 is version sub 720. the question is is whether or not this is MORE sub 720.

plagiarize said:
i know crytek made some bold claims early on, but if you understand the kind of multiplatform tools this engine has you'd be amazed. you can work on your dev PC and instantly see how the new level/textures/whatever look and play on your 360 and ps3 dev kits side by side. that's amazing really and it has the potential of leading to the PS3 getting better multiplatform support.

that said, you can't really expect a dedicated engine designed for one game and one platform to be surpassed by a multiplatform engine like CryEngine 3 (but again, if you want to call out Crytek for their unrealistic promises, feel free).

Actually I agree with what you say, but after Crytek claiming that this engine would be the ultimate awesomeness in consoles I can't help but feel a little bit underwhelmed. I do want this engine to be amazing and to run ultra smooth so other games can use it as well.

X-Frame

As long as the PS3 version is more or less the same as the 360 I will go PS3, but if it takes after BLOPS, Bayonetta, RDR, etc I will have to go 360 (which sucks because I have no friends on the 360).

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
plagiarize said:
the 360 is version sub 720. the question is is whether or not this is MORE sub 720.

oh well then, maybe my eyes aren't as bad as I thought.

StuBurns said:
I'm not saying they'll hit 30 solid or anything, but I wouldn't write them off as incompetent just yet.
And it seems they actually have with the multiplayer, no? Didn't the analysis of the 360 demo show that the FPS never fell beneath 29 or something like that?

evolution

I kinda wish there was a game that combined the open nature of crysis, with the environments of KZ. These "sandbox" shooters are too sterile for my taste.

shagg_187 said:
I CANNOT wait for eurogamer and digitalfoundry and the rest to do comparison of PC, PS3 and 360 version. Fanboy tears shall be bitter and sweet!!
Many a junior blood shall be spilled!

aeolist

Banned
My first playthrough of Crysis 1 on my 8800GT was mostly sub-30fps and it was fine. Crytek games play really smoothly on low framerates.

Arklite

Considering they were keeping this version in the dark for so long, it's looking surprisingly not terrible. Pretty good port.

StuBurns

Banned
The Nature Roy said:
And it seems they actually have with the multiplayer, no? Didn't the analysis of the 360 demo show that the FPS never fell beneath 29 or something like that?
Indeed yeah, it was basically rock solid 30 from the analysis that came out (the 360 version). Very little screen tear too. However the single player is unlikely to match that kind of performance, although it'd be nice.

aeolist

Banned
Also fwiw the pop-in and LOD seem a hell of a lot smoother than they were on Crysis vanilla settings. That shit was janky before I downloaded a custom config.

Afrikan

The Omega Man said:
Actually I agree with what you say, but after Crytek claiming that this engine would be the ultimate awesomeness in consoles I can't help but feel a little bit underwhelmed. I do want this engine to be amazing and to run ultra smooth so other games can use it as well.

don't worry, Frostbite 2.0 might live up to those expectations :)

StuBurns said:
Indeed yeah, it was basically rock solid 30 from the analysis that came out (the 360 version). Very little screen tear too. However the single player is unlikely to match that kind of performance, although it'd be nice.
Could be but singleplayer will also likely be much prettier (and I felt the multiplayer looked rather nice).

Either way, I'm playing on PC.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
The Omega Man said:
lol I doesn't help that Killzone 3 literally puts this engine to shame at least on the PS3.
I don't know about Crysis 2 but the first title was technically a sandbox game. If that's the case with the second one too then that's kind of an apples and oranges comparison.

SapientWolf said:
I don't know about Crysis 2 but the first title was technically a sandbox game. If that's the case with the second one too then that's kind of an apples and oranges comparison.
that's stretching it a bit. this isn't a sandbox game in the way that it effects the engine itself. it was sandbox in mission structure and gameplay design, but not world design. you had seperate levels that fit entirely in your PCs memory, rather than a big massive open world.

the levels were bigger than most games, yes, but not in the just cause 2 or gta4 kind of way.

Nizz

StuBurns said:
The game isn't far off, but that's no indication these builds aren't old. And no, they're from EA, Crytek mentioned it last week. The version they showed on the Gamespot video the other day was notably smoother than the video EA put out.

Yep, here's the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lr5lrgHqhIs It definitely looks smoother than the Road Rage video they put out earlier. I'm guessing that's the case with the PS3 video as well as that Road Rage video: older builds.

I'm guessing the upcoming PS3 P demo will give us a better idea how the game runs. The conclusion from the 360 MP demo was that it ran at a pretty rock solid 30fps with dips to 29fps: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrtOkNOgm1Q

Zzoram

Crysis gameplay is more similar to Halo in terms of open spaces with multiple angles of approach to set piece encounters than the corridor shooters like CoD. I think people who like Halo will really enjoy Crysis 2. People expecting CoD may or may not like it.

StuBurns

Banned
One thing that is nice is it appears the PS3 build doesn't have the horrific ghosting the 360 video had. That shit drove me crazy in Reach.

EDIT: I spoke too soon, the evil persists.

Nizz

Zzoram said:
Crysis gameplay is more similar to Halo in terms of open spaces with multiple angles of approach to set piece encounters than the corridor shooters like CoD. I think people who like Halo will really enjoy Crysis 2. People expecting CoD may or may not like it.
This is what is interesting me in the game, the way you can approach different situations. I love all kinds of FPS games: COD, Battlefield:BC, Killzone, Far Cry 2. Crysis 2 maybe seems a little closer to Far Cry 2 in letting you handle encounters in different ways.

Kibbles

plagiarize said:
Was the single player version confirmed not 720p? The configuration file says it is and we know the MP demo wasn't 720p exactly, but that may have just been to help get the locked 30fps in MP.

BeeDog

I really can't wait for a proper DF analysis between the 360 and PS3 versions in near-identical conditions. I think it's hard to draw any conclusions from this video, seeing as:

1) It's hard to know the degree of compression of the video. Granted, this looks like ass (especially the hi-res Gamersyde version), but one can hope the retail game won't exhibit the same blurriness.
2) The levels are entirely different, so no comparison to earlier 360 videos can be done in terms of pop-in, framerate, lighting and so on.

Kibbles said:
Was the single player version confirmed not 720p? The configuration file says it is and we know the MP demo wasn't 720p exactly, but that may have just been to help get the locked 30fps in MP.
we don't know for a fact no, but until we see otherwise i think it's safe to presume both modes will have the same resolution. unless someone has examples of a game where the resolution is worse in MP than SP, or an instance of the native resolution changing from demo to full game, i'll keep presuming what we saw in the MP demo on 360 is going to be an accurate example of resolution in both modes.

i stress resolution. lots of other things often improve from demo to final, but as far as i know, resolution doesn't tend to.

McLovin

X-Frame said:
As long as the PS3 version is more or less the same as the 360 I will go PS3, but if it takes after BLOPS, Bayonetta, RDR, etc I will have to go 360 (which sucks because I have no friends on the 360).
Ditto, I got BLOPS on ps3 mostly because I only have friends on that system, but damn did it hurt. I had lots of fun with it, but sometimes those visuals hurt my eyes. I got RDR for 360 and, even though it was a beautiful game, I never took it online even though I have a gold account.

GrayFoxPL

Die you squid motherfuckers!

Haha, so corny.

Never played Crisis, so I hope this shit is fun(and have fully customizable controls).

Jadedx said:
I only played an hour of KZ3 at a friend's house but this to me looks better, and the 360 vids I saw look better than this.

The first hour has some impressive stuff but Pyrrhus rise is easily head and shoulders above anything I have seen for console Crysis.

plagiarize said:

After looking at the Gamersyde videos I have to say it does look like a lower res than the 360.

BeeDog

While rewatching the video, I noticed that when the player stealth-kills the alien, a message says "Collected 100 Nano Catalyst". Does this game feature some kind of upgrade system, or is that simply ammo of some sort?

EDIT: nevermind, noticed the energy bar filled up.

McLovin said:
Ditto, I got BLOPS on ps3 mostly because I only have friends on that system, but damn did it hurt. I had lots of fun with it, but sometimes those visuals hurt my eyes. I got RDR for 360 and, even though it was a beautiful game, I never took it online even though I have a gold account.

Blops is a pretty shitty looking game regardless but on the PS3 I swear if you stood a couple feet back and watched someone play it looked like a upscaled PSP game.

Stitch

Gold Member
BeeDog said:
While rewatching the video, I noticed that when the player stealth-kills the alien, a message says "Collected 100 Nano Catalyst". Does this game feature some kind of upgrade system, or is that simply ammo of some sort?

yes you can upgrade your suit

BeeDog said:

It's an upgrade point thing, the energy bar fills up on its own pretty quickly when it's not being used.

Mooreberg

After playing the original and the MP Demo a few weeks ago on the 360, I'm just not ready to jump into Crysis 2.

I hated the multiplayer demo. Constant invisibility camping = zzzz. At least in Reach people become visible when they move or fire a weapon. I'll rent this down the line to try out the campaign but there are too many good shooters coming out for it to be a purchase.

Mooreberg said:
I hated the multiplayer demo. Constant invisibility camping = zzzz. At least in Reach people become visible when they move or fire a weapon. I'll rent this down the line to try out the campaign but there are too many good shooters coming out for it to be a purchase.

Yeah that was some terrible mp. I'm still there day one for the campaign.

Raide

Mooreberg said:

Later suit upgrades actually help you track invisible players. The counter stealth stuff actually looks like fun and a great way to annoy players who spend all day camping for kills. :D

X-Frame said:

There haven't been a lot of bad ports on the PS3 recently. They definitely still exist as you mentioned some of them, but it's not like the early days when there really weren't any good ports on the system. Just for this year I think that Skyrim, Crysis 2 and the new CoD are the only high profile ports that you should have any concern for as a PS3 owner.

StuBurns

Banned
domlolz said:
crysis of duty
izyd1u.gif

Mooreberg said:
You become visible when you fire a weapon in this too. And if I remember right and it's like Crysis, you instantly lose all of your suit energy (and armor ability) if you fire before manually turning your cloak off first.

As for the 360 version's resolution -- it's pretty damn close to 720p though, right? I mean close enough that its biggest weakness compared to true 720p is in message board battles?

Anyway, give me 1080p.

Top Bottom