• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crysis 2 |OT| This is what happens Larry...

Can we have a new thread when said Digital Foundry comparison is released?

It's pretty boring when you are a PC gamer and all everyone is doing is cheerleading their console of choice.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I NEED SCISSORS said:
Can we have a new thread when said Digital Foundry comparison is released?

It's pretty boring when you are a PC gamer and all everyone is doing is cheerleading their console of choice.
lol I know it. I am dying to see more of the PC version in proper form.

REMEMBER CITADEL said:
? On the last few pages there's been more PC talk than anything else.
Where's the footages though?

G_Berry

Banned
JB1981 said:
man hard to believe that is running on 360. best looking game on system. holy shit killzone at your heart out

Yeah looks great. Killzone has nice GFX (and not much else) but it's mostly baked.

REMEMBER CITADEL said:
? On the last few pages there's been more PC talk than anything else.

I wouldn't mind seeing the DX9 vs DX11 argument dying as well since it's the same re-hashed retorts from both sides (and I believe there is already a DX11 patch thread).

Did you not see the comparison shots creeping in?

CozMick

Banned
shinobi602 said:
Best looking console game confirmed?

No, technically maybe (lighting), but best looking, not in my opinion.

Textures in most areas look shockingly bad and as said, being sub-hd is a big no-no.

xion4360

JB1981 said:
man hard to believe that is running on 360. best looking game on system. holy shit killzone at your heart out

I think the saying is "eat your heart out" lol

But IDK I personally think Killzone 3 looks amazing with the amount of detail it has and so many effects. I may change my mind one way or the other but from what ive seen I consider them on about equal footing.

I NEED SCISSORS said:
Did you not see the comparison shots creeping in?

Sure, but that's to be expected with multiplatform releases, especially as high profile as Crysis 2. It's not like that's all that's being talked about.

I am for a separate comparison thread, however.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
~Kinggi~ said:
Spoilers Galore, but framerate is much smoother than that other guys youtube vids, confirming encoding issues like he said.

Decision made! Preordering 360.

Yep, day one 360 version for me also based off of that video and I normally buy PS3 versions for multi-plats, very smooth frame rate and crisp, I'll double dip and grab the PC version further down the road off steam, I will say though that PS3 version is not looking as bad as I initially thought and certainly not terrible of that it is your only choice.

CozMick

Banned
G_Berry said:
Ouch, huge difference in clarity of the image compared to the 360. What resolution is it running in?

360 is 1152x720 and the PS3 version is 1024x720

So not a huge difference technically.

strata8

G_Berry said:
Ouch, huge difference in clarity of the image compared to the 360. What resolution is it running in?
He's just used bad encoding, here's a proper comparison:
PS3vs360.gif

Not too bad, really.

EDIT: PS3 has a higher FOV.

G_Berry

Banned
lowrider007 said:
Yep, day one 360 version for me also based off of that video and I normally buy PS3 versions for multi-plats, very smooth frame rate and crisp, I'll double dip and grab the PC version further down the road off steam, I will say though that PS3 version is not looking as bad as I initially thought and certainly not terrible of that it is your only choice.

I may grab the 360 version also. I was all pumped to get it on PC but after seeing and hearing the impressions of the 360 it looks great.

Ill pick up the PC version after the DX11 patch (and the no doubt 100 patches that come out after release)

jackdoe

CozMick said:
Gears 3 on 360 and Uncharted 2/KZ3/GoWIII on PS3 look better graphically.
And Gears 3 has Global Illumination as well, not to mention all of the games don't have Temporal AA or native resolutions lower than 720p.

And as you mentioned, there are some shockingly bad textures in the console versions Crysis 2.

strata8

jackdoe said:
And Gears 3 has Global Illumination as well, not to mention all of the games don't have Temporal AA or native resolutions lower than 720p.

And as you mentioned, there are some shockingly bad textures in the console versions Crysis 2.
Gears 3 uses baked lighting...

G_Berry

Banned
NotTarts said:
He's just used bad encoding, here's a proper comparison:
PS3vs360.gif

Not too bad, really.

Yeah it is.

The blur destroys the clarity big time. It reminds me of the 360 vs PS3 versions of GTA IV and Red Dead. Smudgy blur is never good.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
G_Berry said:
Yeah it is.

The blur destroys the clarity big time. It reminds me of the 360 vs PS3 versions of GTA IV and Red Dead. Smudgy blur is never good.
I think it shows up more in screens than it will in motion. The resolution difference between the versions is a lot smaller than it was in either Red Dead or GTA4 and it doesn't have a different type of AA. I can't think of any other multiplatfrom games where the PS3 version, if it had a resolution difference, that's been so close.

The wider FoV on the PS3 version is a bit weird, though. Don't console games usually have a lower FoV to limit the amount on screen? It seems odd that, if they were going for parity, they would have different FoVs between the console versions.

G_Berry

Banned
CozMick said:
Crushed blacks = better grafix, it's fact.

And I just noticed the FOV, wonder why Crytek gave the PS3 version the wider FOV?

If a better black level is the only difference you see in that GIF then you need your eyes tested.

Bring on DF comparison!

-PXG-

This is in response to something from yesterday:

I use a PC monitor for my console games, so setting the RGB range to full and enabling super white makes it better. I used to have Vizio HDTV. Like my current monitor, the IQ on my HDTV was better when set to full. Limited had less contast and looked washed out.

I guess I assumed it was universal. My bad.

eso76

man.

MAN.

My friend just called telling me he had something cool to show me.

I was just spoiled that central station chapter (and the beginning to the chapter after that) on a 360.

Not a huge spoiler, mind you; that's the same segment demoed at E3 2010 so you've probably seen it already anyway.

For anyone calling BS, i can certify that youtube vid is genuine X360 footage, looks every bit as good as the E3 2010 demo - from what i remember at least - and downright incredible.
Might very well be the best looking console game i've laid eyes upon.

Friend said the game gets exponentially better as you progress and you shouldn't let the rather underwhelming initial chapters fool you. It takes very long to take off; that chapter in particular is very far into the game; considering the end is not in sight he believes SP campaign could be very long too.

More importantly, he even went as far as claiming it's the best fps he has played this gen and to tell you the truth, after seeing parts of it, i don't even think he's getting carried away.
Seeing the game demoed by someone who knows what he's doing you realize how different Crysis 2 is. The amount of possibilities and sheer badassery make it something else.

Well even the PS3 version looks ok. Gives me hope now that the PC version should be pretty solid looking. Crysis was one of my favorite SP fps in years.

I don't like calling a game the best on consoles before I play it myself.

Gamefly should be sending it soon, then I'll judge for myself.

Nizz

-PXG- said:
This is in response to something from yesterday:

I use a PC monitor for my console games, so setting the RGB range to full and enabling super white makes it better. I used to have Vizio HDTV. Like my current monitor, the IQ on my HDTV was better when set to full. Limited had less contast and looked washed out.

I guess I assumed it was universal. My bad.
I've set my PS3 to Full in the past and it's always crushed blacks. I lose a lot of detail in the picture. TV's a Bravia LCD I picked up in summer 09. I ended up going back to limited. As long as the set's adjusted well colors look great.

JB1981

eso76 said:
man.

MAN.

My friend just called telling me he had something cool to show me.

I was just spoiled that central station chapter (and the beginning to the chapter after that) on a 360.

Not a huge spoiler, mind you; that's the same segment demoed at E3 2010 so you've probably seen it already anyway.

For anyone calling BS, i can certify that youtube vid is genuine X360 footage, looks every bit as good as the E3 2010 demo - from what i remember at least - and downright incredible.
Might very well be the best looking console game i've laid eyes upon.

Friend said the game gets exponentially better as you progress and you shouldn't let the rather underwhelming initial chapters fool you. It takes very long to take off; that chapter in particular is very far into the game; considering the end is not in sight he believes SP campaign could be very long too.

More importantly, he even went as far as claiming it's the best fps he has played this gen and to tell you the truth, after seeing parts of it, i don't even think he's getting carried away.
Seeing the game demoed by someone who knows what he's doing you realize how different Crysis 2 is. The amount of possibilities and sheer badassery make it something else.

great to hear, game looks amazing

sleepykyo

CozMick said:
Obviously, but then again the least I was expecting from Crytek and there game engine was native 720p

Well the 360 version looks great despite the resolution. It is just the PS3 version that looks like someone smeared vaseline over the screen.

Top Bottom