• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crysis 2 |OT| This is what happens Larry...

Stallion Free said:
I wish Steam had done a pre-load.
Question: why more people didn't buy (Edit: the PC version) from Amazon? $57.99 + $10 gift credit = $47.99 shipped and you get the retail box, DVD, manual, and whatever other things they put in there. Free release day shipping if you have Prime (most should have it thanks to the free 1 year for people with access to a college e-mail which is 90% of us) and no tax.

Vampire Hunter Vizier said:
LMAO! holy crap

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Heavy said:
Question: why more people didn't buy from Amazon? $57.99 + $10 gift credit = $47.99 shipped and you get the retail box, DVD, manual, and whatever other things they put in there. Free release day shipping if you have Prime (most should have it thanks to the free 1 year for people with access to a college e-mail which is 90% of us) and no tax.
People buy games for the platform they use the most. I use Steam the most. I don't give a shit about the physical stuff and I'm not exactly a penny-pincher.

Stallion Free said:
People buy games for the platform they use the most. I use Steam the most. I don't give a shit about the physical stuff and I'm not exactly a penny-pincher.
Yeah, I was referring to the PC version. Doesn't make sense to buy it for $59.99 + tax when you can get it for 47.99 shipped + retail box/manual/DVD. The game isn't a Steamworks title and even if it was it's still a much better deal. I dunno, was just curious.

I wish the Steam pre-load was up for the UK, too. Hate staying up late Thursday nights to have it pre-loaded for Friday when they put it up last minute.

When they do it 2/3 days before is the sweet spot.

Heavy said:
Yeah, I was referring to the PC version. Doesn't make sense to buy it for $59.99 + tax when you can get it for 47.99 shipped + retail box/manual/DVD. The game isn't a Steamworks title and even if it was it's still a much better deal. I dunno, was just curious.

I like PC games in my Steam library. I don't buy PC games if they're not on Steam.

scitek

Is this gonna be like Dead Space 2 where I went and picked up the PC version from Gamestop at midnight but wasn't able to activate it online and play until 7am?

I pre-ordered from Direct2Drive this time.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Heavy said:
Steam = Platform

I guess I'm the opposite. I just don't like the feeling of having everything tied to Gabe's enormous nutsack. Any time there's an option to get a non-Steamworks game at cheaper price, whether it's digital or a physical copy, I'm all for it. I'll be getting The Witcher 2 on GOG, for example. Completely DRM-free.

scitek

Patrick Bateman said:
Crysis 2 - PS3 gameplay

Is it just me or are there lots of popups in the first minute of the video.

The LOD in Crysis was awful.

Look at the ground

loddxli.gif

http://ps3authority.com/crysis-2-review/
fired up the Xbox version to do a comparison. I noticed a slight increase in sharpness, but it was still a tad soft in outdoor scenery. The blacks seemed a little crushed as well with not as much shadow detail as the PS3 version. One thing to note is that the PS3 version is inexplicably limited to 720p while the xbox version will run at full 1080, which probably accounts for the sharper image on the 360.
http://www.vgarabia.com/2011/03/21/crysis-2-vs-killzone-3-the-truth/
One area where Crysis 2 shines over Killzone 3 is in the impressive lighting technology of the Cryengine 3. Crysis 2 lighting effects are the best I have ever seen in a videogame. On top of that, Crysis 2 render more light sources than any game on the market right now. Crysis 2 is leagues beyond everything else out there. I have never seen an engine handle the sheer magnitude of light sources with the ease that Crysis 2 does. Light is coming from everywhere and casting shadows on everything.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
scitek said:
The LOD in Crysis was awful.

Look at the ground

loddxli.gif
Yeah, the LOD was pretty aggressive for smaller objects like that even with Very High settings.

You could modify this, of course, and completely eliminate any sort of LOD if you wished, but doing so destroyed your framerate. It's neat to push the full detail draw distance all the way back, though, even if it isn't smooth at all.

Darkkn

RoboPlato said:
Those are a lot more clear than the earlier names but LOL at calling the lowest setting high. Oh, Crytek.
I think it's fair since it looks better on high than most games out there. If they named it 'low' people would feel bad playing game on 'low', even if game looked great.

JoeBoy101

Jubbly said:
PC graphics settings have been changed to High, Very High and Extreme in the release version of the game: http://vr-zone.com/articles/crysis-2-launched-quick-performance-preview/11662.html

Whoa, wait a second. More details than that in the article.

Additional options like details and antialiasing can be specified at launch/in the drop-down console.

Article refers to using a Day 1 patch, but does NOT have DX11 support yet.

Anybody with the PC version have any word on the launch console offering more graphics options?

Mr_Brit

Banned
dark10x said:
Yeah, the LOD was pretty aggressive for smaller objects like that even with Very High settings.

You could modify this, of course, and completely eliminate any sort of LOD if you wished, but doing so destroyed your framerate. It's neat to push the full detail draw distance all the way back, though, even if it isn't smooth at all.
It's probably since high end cards at the time only has 512mb VRAM and pushing the LOD up would have destroyed the framerate even if those cards were capable of running the game at a good framerate.

Mad_Ban

GANGSTERKILLER said:
The blacks seemed a little crushed as well with not as much shadow detail as the PS3 version. One thing to note is that the PS3 version is inexplicably limited to 720p while the xbox version will run at full 1080, which probably accounts for the sharper image on the 360.

http://ps3authority.com/crysis-2-review/
I guess they've made some changes in the retail version then? The MP demo on PS3 defaulted to 1080p.

JB1981

Mad_Ban said:
I guess they've made some changes in the retail version then? The MP demo on PS3 defaulted to 1080p.

Was about to say the same thing. The game forces 1080i/p and looks blurrier for it.

JaxJag

Banned
The 360 can upscale all games in 1080p.

So is the reviewer trying to say the 360 version runs in true 1080p? Or he just doesn't realize that the 360 can upscale any game to 1080p?

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
JaxJag said:
The 360 can upscale all games in 1080p.

So is the reviewer trying to say the 360 version runs in true 1080p? Or he just doesn't realize that the 360 can upscale any game to 1080p?
The PS3 can scale to 1080p as well. I'm guessing he's just saying that the PS3 version only scales to 720p while the 360 scales to 1080p.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Anyone else (in Europe) order the game from the EA Store? Just wondering if it had appeared in their games list at all?

JaxJag

Banned
RoboPlato said:
The PS3 can scale to 1080p as well. I'm guessing he's just saying that the PS3 version only scales to 720p while the 360 scales to 1080p.

Yes, but from my understanding the PS3 can upscale but it requires some work on the developers end. With the 360 that isn't the case.

:edit: It's a really odd thing to point out, unless of course the 360 version was running at true 1080p, which it isn't.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
JaxJag said:
Yes, but from my understanding the PS3 can upscale but it requires some work on the developers end. With the 360 that isn't the case.
Ah, I didn't know that. Thanks for the info.

Mad_Ban said:

Yep also on the back of the retail box it has 1080 i and p as being res supported someone posted a pic of the box a few pages back.

nib95 said:
Is that to do with the LOD or AF? Pretty sure it's just AF is set on fairly low no?
no. the texture filtering in that gif is great. if AF was low, you'd see the texture blurring in the mid distances, and being practically one colour by the end of the beach.

those are actual 3d objects that pop in.

Top Bottom