• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crysis 2 PC Demo Comes March 1st [Update: OUT - Press Enter To Begin]

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
NotTarts said:
Wow, I didn't know NeoGAF could get so bitter.

You didn't think PC gamers would be in an uproar over a PC demo that's essentially a dump of the X360 build?

(Edited for succinctness.)

Ysiadmihi

Banned
MisterAnderson said:
This thread is getting ridiculous...

Maybe it's because of the motion blur abuse by Crytek, or just the lack of options, but I've seen Black Ops maxed out and think it looks better than this.

vocab

MisterAnderson said:
This thread is getting ridiculous...

I'm being serious. Crysis 2 is fucking muddy as shit. At least in COD I can see what the hell is in front of me with a better FOV. Don't sit there and tell me this is as good as it gets in 2011 when Crysis 1, a 2007 game still looks better.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
downloaaaaaading

Dreohboy

JaseC said:
You didn't think PC gamers would be in an uproar over a PC demo that's essentially a dump of the X360 build?

They shouldn't be.

1) It's a demo
2) it looks and runs better than the 360/PS3 versions

The way I see it those should have been the only two expectations for a demo.

Does the leaked game look like this?

Izayoi

Banned
Welp, five separate attempts to create an account, with over an hour spent sitting at the "Creating Account" screen.

I'm done. Keep your shitty port, Crytek.

strata8

JaseC said:

Oh no, I think the whole thing is a complete f***ing joke. 'Press START to continue' was the final nail in the coffin for me. Saying it looks worse than CoD is a bit of a hyperbole overuse, though.

I'm going to skip the PC version, though I might pick up a 360 copy when I get the money.

Max

I am not Max
Everything's fucking cool other than the FOV. Making me feel sick.

There better be a slider in the final release.

I probably won't play any multiplayer but I dl'd the demo just to see how it would run on my $900 system (i5-2500k, GTX 460, 4gb ram) and it's looking very promising. It runs quite a bit better than Warhead does me. I get Warhead at like 35-45fps with 'cheap very high' settings and this is 45-60 and super smooth with everything maxed, no v-sync. Nice.

Mystery

I would love to max it on my SLI GTX 480s and 980x, but all I get is a Creating Account screen. :(

At least I get 1800 fps on that screen, though.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
NotTarts said:
Oh no, I think the whole thing is a complete f***ing joke. 'Press START to continue' was the final nail in the coffin for me. Saying it looks worse than CoD is a bit of a hyperbole overuse, though.

I'm going to skip the PC version, though I might pick up a 360 copy when I get the money.
Not by much:

crysis2demo.exe_2011-00u2w.jpg

blackops2010-11-0922-35hvp.jpg

Damn.

DSN2K

jackdoe said:
Ironically, the mediocre MP demo has finally pushed me to start playing Crysis 1. It was sitting in my Steam account, unplayed. Damn, the game is actually quite fun and is really picking up steam.

I pretty much hated the first few hours of Crysis, infact stopped playing for 2 weeks, but I went back and it just got better and better till the end.

vocab

NotTarts said:
Saying it looks worse than CoD is a bit of a hyperbole overuse, though.

All I want is some clarity and sharpness when it comes to graphics. That's all I ask. Get rid of that filter and temporal AA, and maybe I'll give it another look.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Dreohboy said:
They shouldn't be.

1) It's a demo

And? With the game just a few weeks away, it's unlikely this demo was borne from an old build, and as such is it unreasonable to expect the demo to be of quality or even playable (many in this very thread seem to be having account issues)?

2) it looks and runs better than the 360/PS3 versions

But far from what we'd been lead to expect. Even the original in DX9 looks better than this demo.

The way I see it those should have been the only two expectations for a demo.

And of course you're entitled to that opinion, but surely you can agree that dumping the 360 code, slapping in a few pre-configured settings choices and limiting the renderer to DX9 is a rather stupid considering the PC is meant to be the flagship platform for the engine?

Does the leaked game look like this?

It's locked to DX9, so most likely, yes.

jackdoe

DSN2K said:
I pretty much hated the first few hours of Crysis, infact stopped playing for 2 weeks, but I went back and it just got better and better till the end.
Same, though I stopped playing for six months.

Just wondering, why did it seem that everyone was ejaculating over the youtube footage of the leaked game and now everyone is pissed off? Is it the limited/consolized graphics options? "Press start to begin"? The CoD multiplayer? Gamespy? Does the youtube footage make it look 1728397127038 times better or something?

I haven't watched the youtube videos because I want to avoid spoilers, just genuinely curious because everyone has pulled a complete 180.

With all the 'press start', temporal AA etc its really shame for Crytek. I'd expected better. BUT remember this is the MP, hence saying Crytek wont deliver in the graphics department judging by the multiplayer version is unfair, for now at least. I mean we all saw the leaked screenshots with medium settings (SP), some couldnt even believe that it was on medium.
You can find lots of other leaked screens on other forums. Anyway back to C2.

Izayoi

Banned
MisterAnderson said:
Just wondering, why did it seem that everyone was ejaculating over the youtube footage of the leaked game and now everyone is pissed off? Is it the limited/consolized graphics options? "Press start to begin"? The CoD multiplayer? Gamespy? Does the youtube footage make it look 1728397127038 times better or something?

I haven't watched the youtube videos because I want to avoid spoilers, just genuinely curious because everyone has pulled a complete 180.
Were people actually drooling over the YouTube footage?

It and the various screenshots that I have seen looked, quite frankly, terrible.

Mr_Zombie

MisterAnderson said:
- "Press start to begin"
- autoaim being turned on on default
- no advanced graphic settings, you can only choose predefined settings
- no DX10/11 in the demo
- temporal AA
- low-res textures (seriously, when even Black Ops have better textures than a game that should be a PC benchmark, then you know something is wrong)
- 6v6 multiplayer

overall: consolized game (demo)

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
subversus said:
why the fuck no company is fucking able to fucking improve fucking servers capacity when they fucking launch their fucking beta/game/demo? WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY?????????
It's at times like this that my Fileplanet sub actually does make sense. Currently downloading the Crysis 2 demo at a cool 1.5MB/s

Still, I have to go to work, so I can't try the demo until lunch, darn.

Izayoi

Banned
Stop It said:
It's at times like this that my Fileplanet sub actually does make sense. Currently downloading the Crysis 2 demo at a cool 1.5MB/s

Uh, the problem here isn't download speeds. EA's link maxed my connection.

The problem is sitting at the account creation screen for over an hour.

Sn4ke_911 said:
Creating Account
Yeah, I gave up. I guess I'll try again tomorrow before uninstalling it.

G_Berry

Banned
Stop It said:

IF you can log in that is.

Dreohboy

MisterAnderson said:
now everyone is pissed off? Is it the limited/consolized graphics options? "Press start to begin"? The CoD multiplayer?

Those are the reasons others are unhappy with this demo.

I'm personally happy with the demo because...
1) I like the simplified controls
2) I like that Crytek fully supports the 360 controller in their FPS
3) The multiplayer version of this runs just fine at 1680 x 1050
4) the single player game will look MUCH better than this multi player version.

The Germany studio coded the single player. The guys in England put this demo together.

jackdoe

Stop It said:

No. It still doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Do you get anything else with the sub besides demo access and some beta access?

Stitch said:
suit shortcuts are gone :(

??

E cloak
Q armor
Shift speed
Hold space for jump

Edit: Is it even confirmed if the final build has DX10/11? If not... what a travesty. Lol. I'll take back everything I said in defense of the game if that's the case.

nib95

Banned
Dreohboy said:
Those are the reasons others are unhappy with this demo.

I'm personally happy with the demo because...
1) I like the simplified controls
2) I like that Crytek fully supports the 360 controller in their FPS
3) The multiplayer version of this runs just fine at 1680 x 1050
4) the single player game will look MUCH better than this multi player version.

The Germany studio coded the single player. The guys in England put this demo together.

There is hope!!

strata8

jackdoe said:
"Unlike the first game, Crysis 2 doesn't have any graphical sliders or checkboxes to enable. Instead, there are three preset modes: Gamer, Advanced, and Hardcore."

Haha. I was hoping it would be a demo only thing, but guess it isn't. And they don't really mention anything about DX10 or DX11 modes...
Wow. They removed the graphics settings entirely?

Jubbly

MisterAnderson said:
I wonder what the chances are of Crytek patching in proper graphics options after the insane amounts of imminent backlash?

They've said in interviews that they deliberately gimped Hardcore so that it runs on today's GPUs and that they intend to unlock other options in the future when the hardware is available to run them. That doesn't prevent you from manually edited the .inis though, but you better have an SLI/Crossfire rig if you want to keep above 30fps.

Dennis

Banned
"Unlike the first game, Crysis 2 doesn't have any graphical sliders or checkboxes to enable. Instead, there are three preset modes: Gamer, Advanced, and Hardcore."
Is this shit for real? Does that include the SP campaign?

If it does, I am actually insulted. And baffled.

Does Crytek not understand its PC audience at all? This makes no sense to me. Make it so people with modest rigs still get a good looking game but allow those with uber rigs to push the graphics hard.

Bizarre

Jubbly said:
They've said in interviews that they deliberately gimped Hardcore so that it runs on today's GPUs and that they intend to unlock other options in the future when the hardware is available to run them. That doesn't prevent you from manually edited the .inis though, but you better have an SLI/Crossfire rig if you want to keep above 30fps.
Fuck it. Stop treating me like a damn baby.

Releasing a game with deliberately gimped graphics is an insult to customers.

Mr_Zombie said:
- "Press start to begin"
- autoaim being turned on on default
- no advanced graphic settings, you can only choose predefined settings
- no DX10/11 in the demo

- temporal AA
- low-res textures (seriously, when even Black Ops have better textures than a game that should be a PC benchmark, then you know something is wrong)
- 6v6 multiplayer

overall: consolized game (demo)
Oh dear. That doesn't sound good. The bolded is especially bad.

Downloading now...

nib95

Banned
Jubbly said:

But what about the people with mad hardware that CAN run it? Pretty sure even with the settings unlcoked I could go fairly bonkers on my GTX 570 SSC and get away with it. I only game at 1080p so it's not exactly that strenuous.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
I am pretty sure this demo doesn't have Hardcore level textures.

So why release a PC demo if it's so gimped? This is meant to be the benchmark for what the game can do, and we're getting a semi-console experience?

Crytek aren't doing themselves any favours considering a lot of people are expecting a less than amazing game compared to the first already.

Izayoi

Banned
ThoseDeafMutes said:
No, they added them in when they ported it from console. It also has other PC exclusive features, like mouse support.
This shit is an embarrassment.

Went from might buy it when it goes on sale on Steam in a few years to never buying it ever.

Maybe they'll get it right with Crysis 3.
Who am I kidding.

So everyone was always under the impression or knowledge that the final Crysis 2 had DX10/11 and that the leaked build just "didn't have it" or in this case they "left it out of the demo."

Is it possible they just don't have a DX10/11 build of the game? Is it known for a fact that Crysis 2 is going to have DX10/11 option? Imagine the backlash...

Dennis

Banned
MisterAnderson said:
So everyone was always under the impression or knowledge that the final Crysis 2 had DX10/11 and that the leaked build just "didn't have it" or in this case they "left it out of the demo."

Is it possible they just don't have a DX10/11 build of the game? Is it known for a fact that Crysis 2 is going to have DX10/11 option? Imagine the backlash...
How can they not have a DX11 build? The Game is coming out very soon....

jackdoe

MisterAnderson said:

Was it ever confirmed? I remember reading about CRYENGINE 3 supporting DX11, but I don't remember reading about Crysis 2 supporting it.

demolitio

So Gamer is medium and Hardcore is High, correct? Some other forum said Gamer was low while Advanced was medium and Hardcore was high but I thought Advanced was just the usual though the advanced settings aren't in the demo, right?

So is there any difference between Gamer and leaving it on Advanced in the demo? I'm still deciding whether there's a big enough difference between Gamer and Hardcore to warrant the FPS drop.

Izayoi said:
This shit is an embarrassment.

Went from might buy it when it goes on sale on Steam in a few years to never buying it ever.

Maybe they'll get it right with Crysis 3.
Who am I kidding.

Super Wii launches March 2012 with modern GPU. Crysis 3 releases March 2013 for SWii and PC, not letting itself be held back by PS360.

BELIEVE.

DennisK4 said:
How can they not have a DX11 build? The Game is coming out very soon....

I meant what if there is no DX11 build planned to be released? Lol. I was wondering if it was confirmed or everyone was just assuming.

demolitio said:
So Gamer is medium and Hardcore is High, correct? Some other forum said Gamer was low while Advanced was medium and Hardcore was high but I thought Advanced was just the usual though the advanced settings aren't in the demo, right?

So is there any difference between Gamer and leaving it on Advanced in the demo? I'm still deciding whether there's a big enough difference between Gamer and Hardcore to warrant the FPS drop.

Gamer is "Low" Advanced is "Medium" and Hardcore is "High."

Don't feel bad though...you're a gamer!!! We're all winners!

Top Bottom