• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crysis 2 PS3 Demo Releasing Today

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
GraveRobberX said:
Sure buddy, we can play in 15-30 minutes, got the 1/3rd very quickly, the next 2/3rd is now a crawl, looks like a lot of people hitting the server hard
I have a 1MB internet connection so the demo will take a while to download V__V
Please post your impressions!

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
TTP said:
Guerrilla is chuckling. And this doesn't even do "proper" 3D. Nor it supports the Move.
There was never no doubt. The PC version doesn't look much better than the PS3 one though. PC has smooth frame rate but is held back for whatever reason. KZ3 is doing much more than this at a higher res and in proper 3d.

Shurs

amstradcpc said:
I was of course making a joke. No expert enough to tell about the real resolution. But the part about being a jaggy fest is true, IMHO.

It seems like you're making exaggerated statements in order to elicit a reaction from those who haven't played the demo yet.

What I'm interested in is comparisons from those who have played both console versions.

JB1981

LiquidMetal14 said:
There was never no doubt. The PC version doesn't look much better than the PS3 one though. PC has smooth frame rate but it held back for whatever reason. KZ3 is doing much more than this at a higher res and in proper 3d.

game looks rather impressive in a lot of ways on 360. much worse on ps3?

Installed and playing now. Im no resolution expert or even decent but I'll give my quick impressions.
brb.

edit1: Man that intro video looked terrible and was lame ugh.

edit2: Just got in a game...this looks absolutely terrible. Oh my god. Haze looks better than this. Ugh guess ill play instead of getting shot.

edit3: So uh it was interesting but not good looking at all. This looks grainy 24/7. Wow...

Shurs said:
It seems like you're making exaggerated statements in order to elicit a reaction from those who haven't played the demo yet.

What I'm interested in is comparisons from those who have played both console versions.

I am simply disappointed. I believed in that Castle in flames video that Crytek showed saying it was PS3 version of the engine, and at least, this demo ( maybe the multi is much downgraded from the single ) is far, very far from that video and claims of topping PS3 graphics...

LiquidMetal14

JB1981 said:
game looks rather impressive in a lot of ways on 360. much worse on ps3?
Not really to the naked eye. As I said, I'm finding it hard to even distinguish this from the PC version. I can tell it's more choppier with less impressive AA, has slowdown but not bad FR, runs sub-HD. In honesty, I expected worse. I'm actually impressed from a technical level but the KZ or Uncharted comparisons need to stop, this is not quite there.

JB1981

CozMick said:
I've yet to encounter these impressive looks you speak of in the 360 version.

you are night impressed with the lighting, the motion blur and the myriad of effects the engine is pushing all at a constant framerate? the temporal aa sucks but its easily one of the better looking games on the 360, even in multiplayer. come on now, son.

The 360 demo was a cluttered mess. I'm not sure what it does under the hood, but the end result was a cluttered mess. I suspect this will also be a cluttered mess, but with other problems on top of the clutter.

AltogetherAndrews said:
The 360 demo was a cluttered mess. I'm not sure what it does under the hood, but the end result was a cluttered mess. I suspect this will also be a cluttered mess, but with other problems on top of the clutter.

Temp AA + SubHD + Heavy pop in = cluttered mess

Won't be much different on PS3.

A.R.K

damn it...so it is the shittiest version? so much for setting the bar on the PS3 lol...is it even at least playable? how is the gun play?

also does the demo allow private matches? want to play with some friends over the weekend.

~Kinggi~

Banned
A.R.K said:
damn it...so it is the shittiest version? so much for setting the bar on the PS3 lol...is it even at least playable? how is the gun play?

also does the demo allow private matches? want to play with some friends over the weekend.
We dont really know if its the worst yet.

LiquidMetal14

This is a testiment to how poorly the PC demo was handled. If I were to be sitting 30 feet from my TV I would not be able to tell the difference outside of the frame rate. The PC demo destroys this in the frame rate but I'm surprised that the IQ is not far off outside of the res. The AA solution in the PC demo hurts it and you can't properly gauge until we see that DX11 patch. The lighting is great in my opinion on both platforms. PC wins this even despite a consolised port (it seems).

LiquidMetal14

A.R.K said:

I ain't read anyone say that. From high res caps of the 360 version and brief time at a colleagues house, I can't tell a difference. I'm more impressed that the consoles don't look substatially worse than the PC at this point. Goes to show how shoddy the PC demo/port is being handled.

LiquidMetal14

~Kinggi~ said:
You obviously did not press the motherfuckin START button dude!
The pressing of start buttonz on PC blew my KB up son! I'd like to see a pixel analysis just to make someone happy. I really don't care as both if not all versions look to have suffered to some extent. It does not look substantially worse or worse at all from the 360 version (to me, the non pixel expert).

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
LiquidMetal14 said:
This is a testiment to how poorly the PC demo was handled. If I were to be sitting 30 feet from my TV I would not be able to tell the difference outside of the frame rate. The PC demo destroys this in the frame rate but I'm surprised that the IQ is not far off outside of the res. The AA solution in the PC demo hurts it and you can't properly gauge until we see that DX11 patch. The lighting is great in my opinion on both platforms. PC wins this even despite a consolised port (it seems).
you sit 10 yards from your tv?

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
Just done a few rounds, was fine imo, even frame-rate felt ok on the pier17 map, not sure what all the fuss is about.

Koralsky

I didn't try Xbox 360 or PC demo, but used to play Killzone 3 the other day.

So here's my thought about visual quality in Crysis 2 PS3 demo (played it for about 15 minutes):

- resolution is well below 720P

- The sound is buggy (at the beginning i didn't hear any gunshot and in a couple of minutes everything goes in complete silence

- Framerate is below 30FPS. You can feel the lag even if you in increase sensitivity.

- Texture quality, for the most part, is terrible

- Lighting is flat. Just from videos i think ѝбоь 360 version is a miles better.

- Water quality is good.

- Pop-up is not that bad, but the LOD is awful (just look that the big boat)

- Overall image quality is very bad

Killzone 3 this is not. Very disappointed with the demo from visual standpoint (can't judge on gameplay yet) :/ I expected more - it's just don't look good on PS3...

CozMick said:
And don't forget the distance of the lod, I was expecting the 360 version to render my monitor while playing, it was horrible.

24wvj1w.gif

Mithos

lowrider007 said:
Just done a few rounds, was fine imo, even frame-rate felt ok on the pier17 map, not sure what all the fuss is about.

Maybe I'm not supposed to play from europe on this, but haven't gotten the demo to join a single match yet ;p

Mithos

Koralsky said:
I'm from Bulgaria and i've already played it without any problems.

Demo doesn't like me, i get 1 more player at any time but that's it, and after like 2mins waiting for players the game get a network dropout.

Will try more tomorrow...

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
Koralsky said:
I didn't try Xbox 360 or PC demo, but used to play Killzone 3 the other day.

So here's my thought about visual quality in Crysis 2 PS3 demo (played it for about 15 minutes):

- resolution is well below 720P

- The sound is buggy (at the beginning i didn't hear any gunshot and in a couple of minutes everything goes in complete silence

- Framerate is below 30FPS. You can feel the lag even if you in increase sensitivity.

- Texture quality, for the most part, is terrible

- Lighting is flat. Just from videos i think ѝбоь 360 version is a miles better.

- Water quality is good.

- Pop-up is not that bad, but the LOD is awful (just look that the big boat)

- Overall image quality is very bad

Killzone 3 this is not. Very disappointed with the demo from visual standpoint (can't judge on gameplay yet) :/ I expected more - it's just don't look good on PS3...

tbh it doesn't look amazing on the PC either, I've put a few hours into the PC version and noway in hell doesn't look like it's running at my selected resolution (1920x1200), the game has a 'muddy' look to it on any platform tbh.

Personally I didn't think frame-rate was that bad, gonna give it another go.

JB1981 said:
invite system is integrated into OS just like MW2. Beautiful.

That is nice to hear. After playing another round (and dominating) I can say it is def not 720p in no use of the word ever by anybody with eyes. It looks fuzzy and grainy to me but I didnt see any drops in framerate. Got my first air stomp kill, felt jawesome after doing it.
Will pick it up for $25 and under.

NHale

Mithos said:
Maybe I'm not supposed to play from europe on this, but haven't gotten the demo to join a single match yet ;p

I played it and I'm from Europe. I just had to wait a couple of minutes.

One thing I noticed right away was the lag. Maybe it's the Europe vs. North America thing but I don't believe the online in the full game will be region locked so it's a huge problem. Didn't notice any framerate drops and the HUD is horrible.

LiquidMetal14

Y2Kev said:
you sit 10 yards from your tv?
What I mean is that you would have to sit close to notice the res, texture, FR, and other subtle differences to distinguish the PC and PS3 version. That's how muddy the PC version looks. I'm sitting about 12 feet away and I've played the PC demo on this same TV and am surprised at how the PS3 version looks. This doesn't mean it runs and looks as good but it's not as bad as one would expect.

KKRT00

lowrider007 said:
tbh it doesn't look amazing on the PC either, I've put a few hours into the PC version and noway in hell doesn't look like it's running at my selected resolution (1920x1200), the game has a 'muddy' look to it on any platform tbh.

Personally I didn't think frame-rate was that bad, gonna give it another go.
Its because EdgeAA, Motion Blur and HDR.
Screens without them
http://strony.aster.pl/kakarotto/c2_demo/2/crysis2_demo_img001.jpg
http://strony.aster.pl/kakarotto/c2_demo/2/crysis2_demo_img002.jpg
http://strony.aster.pl/kakarotto/c2_demo/2/crysis2_demo_img005.jpg
http://strony.aster.pl/kakarotto/c2_demo/2/crysis2_demo_img006.jpg

----

I've played 3 rounds of PS3 demo. Looks a lot worse than Gamer settings from PC, IQ is horrible [no visible AA and subHD], framerate is unstable, but controller is quite responsive till You wont activate Nano Vision. On Nano Vision framerate goes down further and controller is no longer responsive.
Textures are bad, much worse than on PC, that same with shadows, LOD is aggresive [trees on Skyline change details 5 metres from You], reflections on water also has LOD, shadows has massive pop-up and water looks worse than on Gamer settings.

Definitely not a good showcase of CryEngine 3.

Looks fine. A bit worse than PC version, but not much.

I'll wait for Digital Foundry to do analysis of the graphics, but I don't get all the freak-outs in this thread.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
LiquidMetal14 said:
It runs well. I'll give it that. I had to drop Cry1 to 720p/no AA to get anywhere near 60fps and it still had drops. Cry2 runs 60fps locked. The demo is roughly on par with UE3.0 in terms of IQ and performance.

Top Bottom