• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • The Politics forum has been nuked. Please do not bring political discussion to the rest of the site, or you will be removed. Thanks.

Crysis 2 pulled from Steam Store, [Move To New Thread, See Last Post For Link]

Status
Not open for further replies.

VisanidethDM

Banned
Feb 17, 2011
1,200
0
0
ROBOKITTYZILLA said:
That almost makes it sound like Steam's agreement was broken intentionally so that it would be removed from the service.

If the choice was between "A wizard did it" and "Valve's fault", option A would probably win by a landslide.
 

Mr_Zombie

Member
Jul 25, 2009
7,826
0
0
Poland
mrzombie.deviantart.com
Warrior_Keoni said:
I apologize in advance if this has not been linked before:

So...I only own the game for a year?

No, you own the game for at least one year, ie. if something happens (EA goes bankrupt or decides that Origin isn't worth supporting anymore) they would still need to give you the ability to download the game.
 
Mar 16, 2011
6,492
0
680
It's going to be hilarious when we can't buy ME3 and Battlefield 3 on Steam and we go to buy them retail and all that's in the box is a code for origin. EA is going to go all the way with this, every copy of these games is going to be locked to origin, guaranteed. I honestly don't know if I'd buy them.
 

Durante

Member
Oct 1, 2006
48,836
1
0
peter.metaclassofnil.com
subversus said:
What???? You seem to completely miss the point. I won't bother arguing with you anymore it's as effective as arguing with my left shoe. I'm saying it for the last time: Valve built a good service with features I enjoy and with a client that's not bloated. I prefer buying games on Steam because it's convenient for me. EA built nothing and they did nothing to convince me to use their service but they force me to use it. Do you see difference?
I'm sorry, I don't see the difference. Valve also "convinced" me to use their service by forcing me to use it back when HL2 launched, and they still do so.
The only real difference I see is EA offering their games on non-steam non-origin platforms while Valve don't.
 

VisanidethDM

Banned
Feb 17, 2011
1,200
0
0
water_wendi said:
Makes me wonder what came first, the agreement or the new rules?

If my (mocked and insulted and berated) previous theory is correct, Crytek may have signed some kind of agreement with either EA/Origins or someone else that didn't please Valve, and Valve may have changed the rules to affect it.

Of course, Valve can make a glorious comeback here by announcing they're not distributing games that pull bs preorder DLC practices, unleashing the fanboyism of thousands of gamers over the world. A moment Gabe Newell will remember fondly in 2017, during his insediation speech as the President of the United States of the Universe.
 

szaromir

Banned
Apr 26, 2006
14,216
0
1,265
Mr_Zombie said:
No, you own the game for at least one year, ie. if something happens (EA goes bankrupt or decides that Origin isn't worth supporting anymore) they would still need to give you the ability to download the game.
The way I understand it is that EA would never shut down servers for any game at least until after a year after they stop selling the game. Which is not so good, but nothing will stop EA from shutting the servers if you buy the game on Steam.
 

1-D_FTW

Member
Jun 14, 2006
17,069
0
0
Gully State said:
Gotta play Devil's advocate here. Yes Valve has eventually built a great service but they did initially force people to use Steam since it was necessary to run it with HL2.

And the devil's advocate to that would be: EA did such a shitty job of leadership that the PC market basically became a wasteland.

Valve was forced into this position because it didn't want to follow the carpetbaggers to console land and wanted to keep publishing in the PC space. And if nobody else was going to provide a DRM that prevented pre-release piracy, then the market forced them to do it themselves. If EA hadn't been such a shitty caretaker, I doubt Valve would have ever created Steam.
 

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Oct 26, 2009
24,268
0
0
szaromir said:
Valve build a service I don't care about and force me to use it - bad.
EA build a service I don't care about and force me to use it - bad.

yes, but I tried to explain you my POV. I already understood that either client is bad for you. My condolences.
 
Dec 28, 2008
19,767
0
0
UK.
VisanidethDM said:
If my (mocked and insulted and berated) previous theory is correct, Crytek may have signed some kind of agreement with either EA/Origins or someone else that didn't please Valve, and Valve may have changed the rules to affect it.

Of course, Valve can make a glorious comeback here by announcing they're not distributing games that pull bs preorder DLC practices, unleashing the fanboyism of thousands of gamers over the world. A moment Gabe Newell will remember fondly in 2017, during his insediation speech as the President of the United States of the Universe.
You know your anti-Valve trolling tops any Valve fanboyism, right?

Edit: Oh and he's banned. Good work.
 

Mr_Zombie

Member
Jul 25, 2009
7,826
0
0
Poland
mrzombie.deviantart.com
subversus said:
EA built nothing and they did nothing to convince me to use their service but they force me to use it.[/B]

Let me play the devil's advocate for a moment, because actually EA does not force you to use Origin (apart from the SW MMO game). You can buy EA games in retail and easily run them without even launching the application. It's Valve that forced people to use Steam when Half-Life 2 was released; you also have to install and use Steam in order to run Valve games.

So, who's the bad guy now?
 

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Oct 24, 2007
49,169
0
1,010
1-D_FTW said:
And the devil's advocate to that would be: EA did such a shitty job of leadership that the PC market basically became a wasteland.

Valve was forced into this position because it didn't want to follow the carpetbaggers to console land and wanted to keep publishing in the PC space. And if nobody else was going to provide a DRM that prevented pre-release piracy, then the market forced them to do it themselves. If EA hadn't been such a shitty caretaker, I doubt Valve would have ever created Steam.

EA and MS. Dont forget MS
 
Aug 10, 2008
38,700
0
0
U.S.A.
Foliorum Viridum said:
You know your anti-Valve trolling tops any Valve fanboyism, right?

Edit: Oh and he's banned. Good work.

I disagree. Not to go OT but I don't see anything he said that deserved a ban. I disagreed with him fundamentally in this thread but I don't think it deserved a ban.
 
Mar 16, 2011
6,492
0
680
Mr_Zombie said:
Let me play the devil's advocate for a moment, because actually EA does not force you to use Origin (apart from the SW MMO game). You can buy EA games in retail and easily run them without even launching the application. It's Valve that forced people to use Steam when Half-Life 2 was released; you also have to install and use Steam in order to run Valve games.

So, who's the bad guy now?
You honestly think that is how it's going to be forever? You think that when you install Battlefield 3 that it won't install Origin as well?
 

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Oct 26, 2009
24,268
0
0
Mr_Zombie said:
Let me play the devil's advocate for a moment, because actually EA does not force you to use Origin (apart from the SW MMO game). You can buy EA games in retail and easily run them without even launching the application. It's Valve that forced people to use Steam when Half Life 2 was released; you also have to install and use Steam in order to run Valve games.

So, who's the bad guy now?

Why "exclusive" to Origin then?? How is that exclusive?
 

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Oct 8, 2006
19,066
0
0
HK-47 said:
He is in a bunch of threads. Who knows.
Well hopefully its not a permaban. Even though i rarely agreed on anything they posted at least they always made solid cases for their opinion.
 

Dunlop

Member
Oct 2, 2007
10,961
3
965
Mr_Zombie said:
Let me play the devil's advocate for a moment, because actually EA does not force you to use Origin (apart from the SW MMO game). You can buy EA games in retail and easily run them without even launching the application. It's Valve that forced people to use Steam when Half-Life 2 was released; you also have to install and use Steam in order to run Valve games.

So, who's the bad guy now?

Neither,

While not an avid PC gamer anymore, pretty much all of my PC purchases are on steam. I don't get why people get up in arms about competition, it is good for the consumer.

I've brought it up before, but without Microsoft's heavy risk/investment in LIVE, you would not have PSN in anything near it's current form.

Like Steam "enthusiasts", Sega/Sony/Nintendo "enthusiasts" were deadset against microsoft from entering the console race and today online/social integration in games is the norm.

Same deal here, Original will probably go down in flames..but maybe they won't and we will all gain from it.

sidebar: I still have a grudge from EA fucking over my beloved Dreamcast as I write this :p
 

desu

Member
Aug 9, 2009
5,534
1
0
EU
Mr_Zombie said:
Let me play the devil's advocate for a moment, because actually EA does not force you to use Origin (apart from the SW MMO game). You can buy EA games in retail and easily run them without even launching the application. It's Valve that forced people to use Steam when Half-Life 2 was released; you also have to install and use Steam in order to run Valve games.

So, who's the bad guy now?

Ehm I think you're a possibly too late for that already. They already force you to use Origin (as of today). Alice needs a Origin activation, dunno if you need to run it to launch the game but well it stats right now already.
 

Wallach

Member
Jun 26, 2008
29,844
1
0
subversus said:
Why "exclusive" to Origin then?? How is that exclusive?

I'm curious about this too. I wonder if there's anything unique about the version they offer on Origin.
 

scorpscarx

Member
Feb 16, 2011
3,698
1
0
Wallach said:
I'm curious about this too. I wonder if there's anything unique about the version they offer on Origin.

That's the thing, the catch phrase is exclusive. I.e you can only get it there, pay the same as a console game, and realize that you don't own it and are only entitled to play it for a while.

Alice comes with the original Alice, I think that's all they have so far.
 

TwIsTeD

Member
Jan 24, 2005
1,618
0
0
RVA
I was forced recently to buy 2 EA Games ironically on other services due to blow out prices (MOH on D2D and DA on EADM)

I solved my Steam problem by copying the shortcuts into Steam... Doubt that's gonna be the case with Origin... Damnit EA
 

cRIPticon

Member
Jul 25, 2006
1,764
34
1,020
subversus said:
I agree and I get angry because their services are crap indeed and they're bloated, they offer me nothing or the same but worse. Why should I use them? I'm not saying that Steam should be mandatory. What irks me about the whole debacle is the fact that they omitted Steam but not other stores. I'm not bitter about Steam, I'm bitter about people who work at EA because they're assholes, so I'm likely to be unpleasantly surprised numerous times about EA games in the future.

THAT is the justification for not installing their storefront to play a game you want? Seriously? How have they wronged you personally?

If they are going to try and establish a storefront, why would they take their premiere titles to a competing channel where that competitor makes money off of their games?

It so clear that they can't produce anything good
incorrect
and it's now completely clear that they don't care about me as a consumer at all. Because if they were they would make their service on par with Steam.

it's not about you and me, it's about assholes in EA.

I'm a bit more bitter about this, because I wasn't that interested in gaming 2000-2007 so I missed best EA years. And this new EA seems to be an old EA.

Perhaps they are trying and want to give themselves every opportunity to build that competitive storefront?

Dunlop said:
Neither,

While not an avid PC gamer anymore, pretty much all of my PC purchases are on steam. I don't get why people get up in arms about competition, it is good for the consumer.

I've brought it up before, but without Microsoft's heavy risk/investment in LIVE, you would not have PSN in anything near it's current form.

Like Steam "enthusiasts", Sega/Sony/Nintendo "enthusiasts" were deadset against microsoft from entering the console race and today online/social integration in games is the norm.

Same deal here, Original will probably go down in flames..but maybe they won't and we will all gain from it.

sidebar: I still have a grudge from EA fucking over my beloved Dreamcast as I write this :p

STOP BEING SO DAMN REASONABLE!!!
 

Wallach

Member
Jun 26, 2008
29,844
1
0
scorpscarx said:
That's the thing, the catch phrase is exclusive. I.e you can only get it there, pay the same as a console game, and realize that you don't own it and are only entitled to play it for a while.

Alice comes with the original Alice, I think that's all they have so far.

Hrm... when I look at the link posted in the OP:

http://www.ea.com/crysis-2/pc-download

It doesn't say "only on Origin" like it does in the screenshots shown in various news pieces.
 

Smash88

Banned
Dec 6, 2008
5,867
0
0
Canada
"Electronic Arts has responded to my questions regarding its current relationship with Steam, claiming Crysis 2 was not removed from Steam because EA asked. Instead, EA claims Steam "imposed a set of business terms" that resulted in an existing agreement Crytek had regarding Crysis 2 that "violates the new rules," resulting in the "expulsion" of Crysis 2.

I've asked EA for better clarification on what "business terms" have changed and why games like Alice: Madness Returns are no longer on Steam. I've also requested comment from Valve.

The full statement is below:

"It’s unfortunate that Steam has removed Crysis 2 from their service. This was not an EA decision or the result of any action by EA.

Steam has imposed a set of business terms for developers hoping to sell content on that service – many of which are not imposed by other online game services. Unfortunately, Crytek has an agreement with another download service which violates the new rules from Steam and resulted in its expulsion of Crysis 2 from Steam.

Crysis 2 continues to be available on several other download services including GameStop, Amazon, Origin.com and more."

Source: http://www.giantbomb.com/news/crysis-2-and-others-disappear-from-steam-eas-relationship-with-steam-unknown-updated/3382/

So, because Crytek has a deal with another DD service, it cannot allow the same deal to be had with Steam, thus Steam has removed them. Could it be sale related for Steam's summer sale...who knows.
 

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Oct 26, 2009
24,268
0
0
I see...

may be this happened (in case with Alice) because you had to activate the game on Origin?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.