• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crysis 2 pulled from Steam Store, [Move To New Thread, See Last Post For Link]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shambles

I'm not going to deal with multiple DD services. Put it on steam I won't buy it unless it's on a service-less DD system like D2D, or if you sell it on disc without crappy DRM but it's EA so that's not going to happen.

Tough luck EA.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
coopolon said:
I think this is premature. Steam has too much penetration and Crysis 2/Alice don't have anywhere near the clout to pull the Steam diehards away. BF3 might, but I doubt it as well. Steam is just too well entrenched at this point.
I wouldn't have a problem with this, except that it bodes poorly for EA's service. It makes it seem like they're not confident that it will top Steam because its more fully featured and better for the consumer. I dislike fragmentation when its not for the sake of genuine capitalistic competition, but just to screw consumers.

1-D_FTW

#1.) Fuck EA. You wanna fuck them, but not yourself? Hurt them where it counts. The wallet. Retail gives them the smallest cut. They'll see less of your money than any other method.

#2.) Amazon and release day delivery. Thanks to Kmart's aggressive ways, they're constantly running big sales that Amazon price matches. This means you're 99% guaranteed to be seeing a 20 gift card on pre-orders. Think of it as a reward for being spiteful. Save money and get it on release day.

#3.) The pre-order bonus maps are included in all the release window boxes. You'll get those pre-order maps even if you don't pre-order.

#4.) You can tie that retail purchase to your Origins account and go DVD free. You can even just install it directly from DD and cost EA a couple more pennies in bandwidth expenses.

GJS

No problem for me, I'm not obsessed with sticking to Steam the programs are a pittance to run and I don't really care about the route publishers are taking to take on Steam.

The fact that they are advertising Crysis 2 as "Only on Origin" now means it will likely be pulled from the other services as well, Steam was just the first store to act.

leadbelly

Banned
PatzCU said:
If BF3 isn't available on Steam, I'll just buy the game from Amazon.

For it to work on Steam though it needs to be compatible with Steamworks. It makes little difference if they sell it on Steam and it's not you see.

Some games on Steam make you sign into GFWL. You sign into steam so you can access the game and then you have to sign into GFWL to play it. You basically have two similar services running at the same time just to play one game. lol

beast786

As long as EA provides some dedicated servers. I don't care. Just Like when I picked up Portal 2 only from steam.

If anything, you should be pissed at valve for starting this crap about valve games only on steam.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Unless a game uses steamworks I always buy physical anyway. And yeah, if i have to start installing extra services just to play my games from different companies I just won't bother. Steam is enough.

Whatever happened to EA's "choose your own DRM" thing they had with BC2?

Omikron

venne said:
It's just a rumor, but I've heard from a mole deep inside Microsoft that the Windows team is working on a service pack that will allow any version of Windows, from XP up, to run multiple programs of the same type. They got the idea when people had to uninstall Internet Explorer to use Firefox or Chrome. It's cutting edge stuff if they can pull it off. Supposedly it's been delayed to a Q1 2013 release as it's more difficult than they expected.

Hold out hope! In a couple years you may be able to use Steam and Origin on the same PC!

That isn't the point and you know it.

mhayze

To steal a meme from Winston Churchill, "Steam is the worst PC online gaming service, except for all the other PC online gaming services."

Seriously, you trust EA more than Steam? Really? REALLY?

Dmented

Banned
fly high ~ayunite~ said:
How is this any different than what Steam/Valve does with their own games? I mean, I wouldn't expect Valve to put their games up on EA's Origin.

Maybe not but when it comes to EA, Valve uses EA as their retail distribution. If EA stops putting games on Steam, then EA isn't using Valve for anything at all while Valve at least uses EA for retail.

EA could be shitting on a partnership.

beast786

1-D_FTW said:
#1.) Fuck EA. You wanna fuck them, but not yourself? Hurt them where it counts. The wallet. Retail gives them the smallest cut. They'll see less of your money than any other method.

Why in the world would I wanna do that?

What is this rage based on?

Makoto

beast786 said:
If anything, you should be pissed at valve for starting this crap about valve games only on steam.
This man understands.

mhayze said:
To steal a meme from Winston Churchill, "Steam is the worst PC online gaming service, except for all the other PC online gaming services."

Seriously, you trust EA more than Steam? Really? REALLY?
Aside from a few trivial features, they're essentially the same when it actually comes down to playing a game. I need both obnoxious clients in order to play my game.

Salazar

I'm already done with Origin after EA Download Manager kept on trying to install it, and then threatened me that I might not be able to play EA content if I stopped it.

Fuck you.

Grayman

Too bad for Crysis 2 as I was waiting to buy it cheap in a summer or xmas deal. The only loser in this battle is customers, and EA may join then.

szaromir said:
I am not as fond of Steam as many people here. Maybe it's only my PC, but Steam adds 15-20 seconds to the booting process of any game which is really annoying. If other DD services help me avoid that and offer competetive pricing than I have no objections using them.
EA's service typically adds as much or more time after the game has launched as it logs in.

Ploid 3.0

GJS said:
No problem for me, I'm not obsessed with sticking to Steam the programs are a pittance to run and I don't really care about the route publishers are taking to take on Steam.

The fact that they are advertising Crysis 2 as "Only on Origin" now means it will likely be pulled from the other services as well, Steam was just the first store to act.

The thing with steam is that you have to boot it everytime you want to play a steam game. With Amazon, Orgin, and GOG(?) I don't. I can just hit the shortcut and bam. Orgin is just a way to download the game. When it's on your system you don't have to load it again.

Acosta

szaromir said:
I am not as fond of Steam as many people here. Maybe it's only my PC, but Steam adds 15-20 seconds to the booting process of any game which is really annoying. If other DD services help me avoid that and offer competetive pricing than I have no objections using them.

Your PC sucks, that's not Steam fault. And competitive pricing to what? There is no competition here anymore, EA has removed it.

And good luck buying anything that's not EA from Origin, or do you see Activision, Ubi, and the rest of big publishers willing to give money to EA for selling their games?

Steam has a community, a catalogue and years of good service, Origin has nothing. I could give it a pass for The Old Republic for being a MMO, but for Crysis 2? or Battlefield? haha, no. If EA don't want me to buy more of their games, so be it.

Ploid 3.0

Salazar said:
I'm already done with Origin after EA Download Manager kept on trying to install it, and then threatened me that I might not be able to play EA content if I stopped it.

Fuck you.

Wow, it's just a update to EA Download manager. This is amazing, so much anger over a logo change and a company that already had a download service to sell their own games on their site. EA is a publisher with the means to sell their own products, why wouldn't they do this?

GJS

Salazar said:

Fuck you.
EADM = Origin.

You already had EADM/Origin installed, it's no different than the name change from EA Link to EA Downloader and then EADM.

I don't understand some people.

venne

Ploid 3.0 said:
The thing with steam is that you have to boot it everytime you want to play a steam game. With Amazon, Orgin, and GOG(?) I don't. I can just hit the shortcut and bam. Orgin is just a way to download the game. When it's on your system you don't have to load it again.

Do you get lovely popup ads every time you exit a game with those other services?

Corto

So this Origins service will have summer sales too? If so, I'm good with this, if not, fuck you EA and from now on I'll buy retail at crash prices and download afterwards the DD version from your service.

Ploid 3.0

venne said:
Do you get lovely popup ads every time you exit a game with those other services?

Not amazon or Orgin games. It's just like old times where you install a game on your pc and put your disk away. Don't have to touch amazon download program, or Orgin unless you want to download a new game.

Blizzard

Banned
venne said:
If you're referring to Steam, you are aware that you can click the box to disable those ads, right?

I'm pretty sure you can, at least. I actually leave them enabled because I like the sale reminders.

vhHJB.gif

1-D_FTW

beast786 said:
Why in the world would I wanna do that?

What is this rage based on?

The unspoken war that EA has waged on Steam for the past year or so (and not any other DD service). Fuck them. They abandoned the PC market. If it weren't for Steam, they'd never have re-embraced it. So, yeah, I'll take retail. They don't want quality DD services carrying it, I'll go old-school and really take a slice out of their pockets.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Ploid 3.0 said:
Wow, it's just a update to EA Download manager. This is amazing, so much anger over a logo change and a company that already had a download service to sell their own games on their site. EA is a publisher with the means to sell their own products, why wouldn't they do this?

"It's just a update to EA Download manager"

Have you been paying attention? It's a publisher, known for being greedy and short sighted, pulling their content from preferred DD services and making it exclusive to their own. Unless EA goes against all logical expectations and offers a quality and/or competitive service, we will not benefit from this in any way. Ideally, they could run their store but offer incentives to use it instead of forced exclusivity, but instead they simply leave us with no choice. This means that EA would have no reason to be competitive or offer a better value, because if gamers want to play their current PC games they have no choice but to use the store.

Is it the end of the world? No. But it's EA trying to take a shot at Steam and we're the ones caught in the middle.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
SneakyStephan said:
If I have to get bf3 from that eadm reboot shit then I'll just get a second hand retail copy instead, no money for those cunts.
On the PC? I think your plan has a flaw in it.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Don't know what to think yet. I have several games bought off that service (Origin) as it is BUT it's dumb not to put it on Steam.

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
Oh EA, it's like you don't want me to buy your games at all... and given your insistence, I obviously won't.

Makoto

Snuggler said:
"It's just a update to EA Download manager"

Have you been paying attention? It's a publisher, known for being greedy and short sighted, pulling their content from preferred DD services and making it exclusive to their own. Unless EA goes against all logical expectations and offers a quality and/or competitive service, we will not benefit from this in any way. Ideally, they could run their store but offer incentives to use it instead of forced exclusivity, but instead they simply leave us with no choice.

Is it the end of the world? No. But it's EA trying to take a shot at Steam and we're caught in the middle.
What have they made exclusive to their store so far?

Salazar

GJS said:
EADM = Origin.

You already had EADM/Origin installed, it's no different than the name change from EA Link to EA Downloader and then EADM.

I don't understand some people.

I had a window repeatedly telling me to begin the steps to start up Origin on my PC. It was fucking intrusive, and wasn't even related to any game I was playing or trying to load at the time - as would be the case with installing Steam.

It was just EA pushing its service onto me.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
So, how's DRM in EA Origins store? The main reason for buying EA games through Steam for me was the lack of SeCuROM. Does Origins use SercuROM? If so, then 0 EA games for me in the future.

szaromir

Banned
Acosta said:
Your PC sucks, that's not Steam fault. And competitive pricing to what? There is no competition here anymore, EA has removed it.

And good luck buying anything that's not EA from Origin, or do you see Activision, Ubi, and the rest of big publishers willing to give money to EA for selling their games?

Steam has a community, a catalogue and years of good service, Origin has nothing. I could give it a pass for The Old Republic for being a MMO, but for Crysis 2? or Battlefield? haha, no. If EA don't want me to buy more of their games, so be it.
My PC plays majority of new games at 60fps and high settings, it's perfectly fine.
Unlike you I have no emotional attachment to Steam and if EA wants to sell their games on their own e-store only, I'll just use it if the game interests me. No big deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom