• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crysis 2 pulled from Steam Store, [Move To New Thread, See Last Post For Link]

Status
Not open for further replies.
ROBOKITTYZILLA said:
That almost makes it sound like Steam's agreement was broken intentionally so that it would be removed from the service.

If the choice was between "A wizard did it" and "Valve's fault", option A would probably win by a landslide.

Mr_Zombie

Warrior_Keoni said:
I apologize in advance if this has not been linked before:

So...I only own the game for a year?

No, you own the game for at least one year, ie. if something happens (EA goes bankrupt or decides that Origin isn't worth supporting anymore) they would still need to give you the ability to download the game.

It's going to be hilarious when we can't buy ME3 and Battlefield 3 on Steam and we go to buy them retail and all that's in the box is a code for origin. EA is going to go all the way with this, every copy of these games is going to be locked to origin, guaranteed. I honestly don't know if I'd buy them.

Durante

subversus said:
What???? You seem to completely miss the point. I won't bother arguing with you anymore it's as effective as arguing with my left shoe. I'm saying it for the last time: Valve built a good service with features I enjoy and with a client that's not bloated. I prefer buying games on Steam because it's convenient for me. EA built nothing and they did nothing to convince me to use their service but they force me to use it. Do you see difference?
I'm sorry, I don't see the difference. Valve also "convinced" me to use their service by forcing me to use it back when HL2 launched, and they still do so.
The only real difference I see is EA offering their games on non-steam non-origin platforms while Valve don't.

water_wendi said:
Makes me wonder what came first, the agreement or the new rules?

If my (mocked and insulted and berated) previous theory is correct, Crytek may have signed some kind of agreement with either EA/Origins or someone else that didn't please Valve, and Valve may have changed the rules to affect it.

Of course, Valve can make a glorious comeback here by announcing they're not distributing games that pull bs preorder DLC practices, unleashing the fanboyism of thousands of gamers over the world. A moment Gabe Newell will remember fondly in 2017, during his insediation speech as the President of the United States of the Universe.

szaromir

Banned
Mr_Zombie said:
No, you own the game for at least one year, ie. if something happens (EA goes bankrupt or decides that Origin isn't worth supporting anymore) they would still need to give you the ability to download the game.
The way I understand it is that EA would never shut down servers for any game at least until after a year after they stop selling the game. Which is not so good, but nothing will stop EA from shutting the servers if you buy the game on Steam.

1-D_FTW

Gully State said:
Gotta play Devil's advocate here. Yes Valve has eventually built a great service but they did initially force people to use Steam since it was necessary to run it with HL2.

And the devil's advocate to that would be: EA did such a shitty job of leadership that the PC market basically became a wasteland.

Valve was forced into this position because it didn't want to follow the carpetbaggers to console land and wanted to keep publishing in the PC space. And if nobody else was going to provide a DRM that prevented pre-release piracy, then the market forced them to do it themselves. If EA hadn't been such a shitty caretaker, I doubt Valve would have ever created Steam.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
szaromir said:
Valve build a service I don't care about and force me to use it - bad.
EA build a service I don't care about and force me to use it - bad.

yes, but I tried to explain you my POV. I already understood that either client is bad for you. My condolences.

VisanidethDM said:
If my (mocked and insulted and berated) previous theory is correct, Crytek may have signed some kind of agreement with either EA/Origins or someone else that didn't please Valve, and Valve may have changed the rules to affect it.

Of course, Valve can make a glorious comeback here by announcing they're not distributing games that pull bs preorder DLC practices, unleashing the fanboyism of thousands of gamers over the world. A moment Gabe Newell will remember fondly in 2017, during his insediation speech as the President of the United States of the Universe.
You know your anti-Valve trolling tops any Valve fanboyism, right?

Edit: Oh and he's banned. Good work.

Salsa

That's good news. Just some new rules that conflict with Crytek's involvment. Im sure they'll arrange something.

This could mean BF3 could make it to Steam eventually

doubt Alice though

Mr_Zombie

subversus said:
EA built nothing and they did nothing to convince me to use their service but they force me to use it.[/B]

Let me play the devil's advocate for a moment, because actually EA does not force you to use Origin (apart from the SW MMO game). You can buy EA games in retail and easily run them without even launching the application. It's Valve that forced people to use Steam when Half-Life 2 was released; you also have to install and use Steam in order to run Valve games.

So, who's the bad guy now?

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
1-D_FTW said:
And the devil's advocate to that would be: EA did such a shitty job of leadership that the PC market basically became a wasteland.

Valve was forced into this position because it didn't want to follow the carpetbaggers to console land and wanted to keep publishing in the PC space. And if nobody else was going to provide a DRM that prevented pre-release piracy, then the market forced them to do it themselves. If EA hadn't been such a shitty caretaker, I doubt Valve would have ever created Steam.

EA and MS. Dont forget MS

Foliorum Viridum said:
You know your anti-Valve trolling tops any Valve fanboyism, right?

Edit: Oh and he's banned. Good work.

I disagree. Not to go OT but I don't see anything he said that deserved a ban. I disagreed with him fundamentally in this thread but I don't think it deserved a ban.

Mr_Zombie said:
Let me play the devil's advocate for a moment, because actually EA does not force you to use Origin (apart from the SW MMO game). You can buy EA games in retail and easily run them without even launching the application. It's Valve that forced people to use Steam when Half-Life 2 was released; you also have to install and use Steam in order to run Valve games.

You honestly think that is how it's going to be forever? You think that when you install Battlefield 3 that it won't install Origin as well?

subversus

Mr_Zombie said:
Let me play the devil's advocate for a moment, because actually EA does not force you to use Origin (apart from the SW MMO game). You can buy EA games in retail and easily run them without even launching the application. It's Valve that forced people to use Steam when Half Life 2 was released; you also have to install and use Steam in order to run Valve games.

Why "exclusive" to Origin then?? How is that exclusive?

Dunlop

Mr_Zombie said:

Neither,

While not an avid PC gamer anymore, pretty much all of my PC purchases are on steam. I don't get why people get up in arms about competition, it is good for the consumer.

I've brought it up before, but without Microsoft's heavy risk/investment in LIVE, you would not have PSN in anything near it's current form.

Like Steam "enthusiasts", Sega/Sony/Nintendo "enthusiasts" were deadset against microsoft from entering the console race and today online/social integration in games is the norm.

Same deal here, Original will probably go down in flames..but maybe they won't and we will all gain from it.

sidebar: I still have a grudge from EA fucking over my beloved Dreamcast as I write this :p

desu

Mr_Zombie said:

Ehm I think you're a possibly too late for that already. They already force you to use Origin (as of today). Alice needs a Origin activation, dunno if you need to run it to launch the game but well it stats right now already.

Wallach said:
I'm curious about this too. I wonder if there's anything unique about the version they offer on Origin.

That's the thing, the catch phrase is exclusive. I.e you can only get it there, pay the same as a console game, and realize that you don't own it and are only entitled to play it for a while.

Alice comes with the original Alice, I think that's all they have so far.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Nabs said:
I bet it has to do with the DLC not being available on Steam.
The weird ghetto as fuck in-game DLC store in Crysis 2 scares me. I wonder if anyone actually even bothered to buy those singleplayer maps tweaked for multiplayer maps.

TwIsTeD

I was forced recently to buy 2 EA Games ironically on other services due to blow out prices (MOH on D2D and DA on EADM)

I solved my Steam problem by copying the shortcuts into Steam... Doubt that's gonna be the case with Origin... Damnit EA

cRIPticon

subversus said:
I agree and I get angry because their services are crap indeed and they're bloated, they offer me nothing or the same but worse. Why should I use them? I'm not saying that Steam should be mandatory. What irks me about the whole debacle is the fact that they omitted Steam but not other stores. I'm not bitter about Steam, I'm bitter about people who work at EA because they're assholes, so I'm likely to be unpleasantly surprised numerous times about EA games in the future.

THAT is the justification for not installing their storefront to play a game you want? Seriously? How have they wronged you personally?

If they are going to try and establish a storefront, why would they take their premiere titles to a competing channel where that competitor makes money off of their games?

It so clear that they can't produce anything good
incorrect
and it's now completely clear that they don't care about me as a consumer at all. Because if they were they would make their service on par with Steam.

it's not about you and me, it's about assholes in EA.

I'm a bit more bitter about this, because I wasn't that interested in gaming 2000-2007 so I missed best EA years. And this new EA seems to be an old EA.

Perhaps they are trying and want to give themselves every opportunity to build that competitive storefront?

Dunlop said:
Neither,

While not an avid PC gamer anymore, pretty much all of my PC purchases are on steam. I don't get why people get up in arms about competition, it is good for the consumer.

I've brought it up before, but without Microsoft's heavy risk/investment in LIVE, you would not have PSN in anything near it's current form.

Like Steam "enthusiasts", Sega/Sony/Nintendo "enthusiasts" were deadset against microsoft from entering the console race and today online/social integration in games is the norm.

Same deal here, Original will probably go down in flames..but maybe they won't and we will all gain from it.

sidebar: I still have a grudge from EA fucking over my beloved Dreamcast as I write this :p

STOP BEING SO DAMN REASONABLE!!!

Wallach

scorpscarx said:
That's the thing, the catch phrase is exclusive. I.e you can only get it there, pay the same as a console game, and realize that you don't own it and are only entitled to play it for a while.

Alice comes with the original Alice, I think that's all they have so far.

Hrm... when I look at the link posted in the OP:

http://www.ea.com/crysis-2/pc-download

It doesn't say "only on Origin" like it does in the screenshots shown in various news pieces.

Smash88

Banned
"Electronic Arts has responded to my questions regarding its current relationship with Steam, claiming Crysis 2 was not removed from Steam because EA asked. Instead, EA claims Steam "imposed a set of business terms" that resulted in an existing agreement Crytek had regarding Crysis 2 that "violates the new rules," resulting in the "expulsion" of Crysis 2.

I've asked EA for better clarification on what "business terms" have changed and why games like Alice: Madness Returns are no longer on Steam. I've also requested comment from Valve.

The full statement is below:

"It’s unfortunate that Steam has removed Crysis 2 from their service. This was not an EA decision or the result of any action by EA.

Steam has imposed a set of business terms for developers hoping to sell content on that service – many of which are not imposed by other online game services. Unfortunately, Crytek has an agreement with another download service which violates the new rules from Steam and resulted in its expulsion of Crysis 2 from Steam.

Crysis 2 continues to be available on several other download services including GameStop, Amazon, Origin.com and more."

Source: http://www.giantbomb.com/news/crysis-2-and-others-disappear-from-steam-eas-relationship-with-steam-unknown-updated/3382/

So, because Crytek has a deal with another DD service, it cannot allow the same deal to be had with Steam, thus Steam has removed them. Could it be sale related for Steam's summer sale...who knows.

subversus

I see...

may be this happened (in case with Alice) because you had to activate the game on Origin?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom