• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crysis 3 (2013) vs Halo Infinite (2020)

Halo Infinite vs Crysis 3

• Halo Infinite

Votes: 32 18.3%
  • Crysis 3

Votes: 143 81.7%

• Total voters

Denton

You could do this with 2007 Crysis 1 and it still wouldn't be favourable to Halo.

But I still quite like the Halo look..it looks like it will be a good game. Just not graphical showpiece.

Will probably be more fun than Crysis 3, though... (Crysis 1 was the last good game Crytek have made, then they started to chase after Call of Duty)

Completely wrong. Crysis 2 while urban based and less open than Crysis 1, was still a great game, better than any CoD. Crysis Warhead was Crysis 1 on steroids. Crysis 3 combined 2 and 1. The sequels had bad stories, but design-wise, gameplay-wise, level-wise - they are years ahead of any CoD.

And Hunt Showdown is fantastic.

Last edited:

Romulus

You could do this with 2007 Crysis 1 and it still wouldn't be favourable to Halo.

But I still quite like the Halo look..it looks like it will be a good game. Just not graphical showpiece

I disagree that this halo looks like a good game, but there was a time when Halo was a graphical showpiece, even sitting next to realistic games.

Unlike Doom, which continues to set the benchmark with nearly every release, halo had one showing that wowed everyone.

You can be stylized and also be a graphical marvel. Halo 3 even recaptured a sliver of it.

LostDonkey

Does this actually happen IRL? I've never seen formations like this outside of video games. I live in Florida though. The closest thing we have to a mountain here is the landfill.
Giants Causeway, Ireland.

1PaZTMF.jpg

Hudo

But I still quite like the Halo look..it looks like it will be a good game. Just not graphical showpiece.

Completely wrong. Crysis 2 while urban based and less open than Crysis 1, was still a great game, better than any CoD. Crysis Warhead was Crysis 1 on steroids. Crysis 3 combined 2 and 1. The sequels had bad stories, but design-wise, gameplay-wise, level-wise - they are years ahead of any CoD.

And Hunt Showdown is fantastic.
Oh, I agree that every Crysis game is leaps and bounds ahead of any CoD. But Crysis 2 and 3 have taken a more linear/guided approach when compared to Crysis 1 (and Far Cry 1). Doesn't mean that Crysis 3 is a bad game, just means that it's not what I'd consider a Crysis game should be about. Crysis 2 was "just another shooter", unfortunately.

My post was merely saying that even if Halo Infinite's graphics "aren't good" I think it looked fun and snappy. Halo was never really about high-tech graphics. It was more the artstyle that made Halo games look good. The same thing can be said about the Destiny games: It's the artstyle that visually makes those games, not the sheer technical capabilities of their renderer. And my conjecture that Halo Infinite might be more fun than Crysis 3 is based upon the superior gameplay feedback the Halo games have. Halo is one of the franchises that gets "the feeling of shooting" right, in the sense that it's just fun. Crysis is weaker in that respect, IMHO.

Last edited:

Kuranghi

This person adjusted a few filters on the halo video and noticeably it does look better

For me there are a few things that the game needs that makes the world feel a little more dynamic. All of these items could be turned off or scaled for slower hardware
  • Make use of more particle effects, for blowing grass, dirt, leaves
  • Trees and brush should move in the wind
  • Trees and brush should move if the chief interacts with it
  • Trees and brush should catch fire if explosions happen nearby
  • You should be able to cut trees in half with certain weapons or vehicles if you hit them
  • Simulate wind, dust, rain to a limited extent
  • Objects that you can melee an enemy into should rock from the impact (objects on the battlefield.)
  • I'd add the ability to body check if you sprint at an enemy
  • using the grapple should show a vignette blur as you get pulled in
  • add the ability to grapple, plant chief feet and swing objects, or small enemies into other objects or enemies

*343i staff reading this list*

giphy.gif

The bolded is all they see through the blurry vision.

John on the intercom: "SHIRLEY!!?! You can you do VIGNETTES, right?!??"

Mister Wolf

This is the video I was talking about... I don't understand much about specs but I just reported what he say in the description

MaxwellParrish I provided a video for you with the author showing you the options of the game as proof and a visible benchmark while playing showing the framerate and GPU being utilized(2080TI) paired with one of Intel's best CPU's overclocked. That really should be enough proof of my statement. In this video The Coalition(Gears 4/5) told and showed Digital Foundry during a visit that the Series X ran the Gears 5(Unreal Engine 4) benchmark on Ultra setting Identical to a RTX 2080:

Now look at the difference between a 2080ti vs 2080:

relative-performance_3840-2160.png

Last edited:

Dabaus

Banned
Some people just don't have a life and lives on making unnecessary drama.
This NEEDED to be done.

EDIT: Can I get a xBox supporter to explain those weird, minecraft-looking structures built into the mountains in Infinite? Like, how can they possibly be justified in a graphically ambitious title? And, furthermore, I'm not sure they can be painted as being 'early' versions of a, shall we say, more polygonal model to come in future. It looks like they're very deliberate and baked in to the design. Right?

Isn’t halo partnered with some LEGO competitor? Blox or something? Anyways, I bet that’s the reason why it looks like legos off in the distance. In fact I wouldn’t be surprised if the two creative directors left because Microsoft insisted on incorporating LEGO knock off brand and visual style into the new halo.

Tschumi

[
Isn’t halo partnered with some LEGO competitor? Blox or something? Anyways, I bet that’s the reason why it looks like legos off in the distance. In fact I wouldn’t be surprised if the two creative directors left because Microsoft insisted on incorporating LEGO knock off brand and visual style into the new halo.
Don't know whether to give a laughing reaction or a thoughtful one

Last edited by a moderator:

Turk1993

GAFs #1 source for car graphic comparisons
I know the game isn't the best looking thing ever after all the hype but it still look decent for a 4K 60fps cross gen game with huge open levels. Sure it has issues like pop in, missing shadows, weird lighting and that ugly gorilla looking alien but it still looked decent after watching the 4K 60 footage on youtube. I just want to play it its Halo after all and the game looks fun. Hope they can fix most of the issues by release or even after if they can't hit the death line. Here are some captures that show atleast the decent parts
50156907611_e14b92c86d_o.png

50157149837_ce5921ca32_o.png

50156340193_f0937a617e_o.png

50156357178_d6fcc60d20_o.png

50156901671_171f958182_o.png

50156903381_1544b8243b_o.png

50157133277_f3ffffa220_o.png

This NEEDED to be done.

EDIT: Can I get a xBox supporter to explain those weird, minecraft-looking structures built into the mountains in Infinite? Like, how can they possibly be justified in a graphically ambitious title? And, furthermore, I'm not sure they can be painted as being 'early' versions of a, shall we say, more polygonal model to come in future. It looks like they're very deliberate and baked in to the design. Right?
It appeared to be the Halo rebuilding itself. It takes time to make rocks, so maybe by the end of the game the world evolves.

The Alien

Banned
I'll wait for the final complete game to actually be released. I dont think the game looked great, for sure. But I wont believe the final, released game will look like this gameplay.

Justin9mm

To be honest Halo Infinite doesn't look that bad as people are making it out to be but for a coming next gen game considering Halo 5 looked better, it is still a little disappointing!

Anyone in denial of this is a delusional fanboy of either Halo or Xbox or both.

Justin9mm

Completely different games lol, nice try. And man Halo has WAY better gameplay its not even close.
For someone like me who thinks Halo Infinite looks like shit, I will admit the gameplay is way better and looks way better!

And when I try and say it looks like shit, I only mean it in the way that it should look better then its predecessor. It's a coming next gen/cross gen game, they needed to make a better effort on that front.

Neo_game

People forget how demanding Crysis 3 is, wich is because it was far ahead of its time. Not even a RTX 2080ti can play Crysis 3 at 4K ultra at locked 60, its that demanding. Still one of the best looking game ever and technical marvel, looks better than 95% games

Crysis games look amazing even on medium settings. Crysis1 trailer even on Switch was very impressive. Console version usually run on medium settings anyways. Halo does not hold a candle in front of Crysis gfx.

Denton

I disagree that this halo looks like a good game, but there was a time when Halo was a graphical showpiece, even sitting next to realistic games.
The days of Halo being graphical showpiece ended with Halo 1 and 2. Those came out in 2001 and 2003 at a time when pixel shaders were still not being used on PC much - on PC we were playing MOHAA and next to it, Halo looked next gen with its water and ice and bumpmapping effects.
But then Halo 3 came out same year as Crysis and looked several gens older next to it.

Vaelka

It's supposed to represent a natural phenomenon called columnar jointing like in this image, but it is much too clean and synthetic looking in the game.

epXfDl3.jpg

I thought that it was just because the ring they were on was unfinished?
Like it was a constructure thing.

Shubh_C63

Putting aside the graphical shortcomings of this demo. Even from a gameplay perspective it lacked gravity. Like the gun punch isn't there.

A love letter to halo fans isn't really just making the same first game again like a Starwars movie. Take some risks. Re-innovate that shit. Its a sci-fi game, go freakin Titanfall with it I don't care. Point to me ONE thing in the demo that was different than...idk Medal of Honor Allied Assault ?

Mister Wolf

How is it posible that the visual on Xbox 360 look better than series x

343 using different engine now or what

Yeah they made a new engine. 343 fell into the the same trap as square enix. Not everyone should be making their own engine. The Coalition are better than 343 and they just stick with Unreal Engine.

Eliciel

Okay... that does actually look better. You are giving me hope.
it does look better, but it does look also far, far away from a Next Gen "Killer-App"... to be brutally honest.
There is not 1 WOW Moment in the entirety of this clip and this is a 8 minute clip. Good Luck creating a 20-30 hour gaming experience that keeps creating these moments....

How is it posible that the visual on Xbox 360 look better than series x

343 using different engine now or what

I thought they are, yes, Slipstream, no?

Last edited:

JimiNutz

Banned
Somebody posted this on Reddit. This is Halo-4 8 freakin years ago.
6s9jgwug28d51.jpg

Halo 4 looked mind meltingly good at the time and looks even better on Xbox One.

That being said, the game felt a lot more linear and smaller in scope compared to past Halo games if I remember correctly? It wasn't quite 'corridor shooter' but the levels weren't semi open world either.

Infinite being completely open world and also running at 4K and 60fps at least partially explains why it doesn't look so hot. It is embarrassing that an 8 year old game on hardware two generations old even looks comparable though...

Zato

Banned
The halo art style will never look impressive, it never has so why are people surprised?

Nothing to do with art style; textures are really poor, pop in, character models look really low poly in some instances, looks static and lacking visual atmosphere.

Its a poor and rather cheap looking game visually.

As for those talking about gameplay ............. this is a graphics thread you clowns.

aries_71

Somebody posted this on Reddit. This is Halo-4 8 freakin years ago.
6s9jgwug28d51.jpg
This is when 343 Industries amazed everybody with the graphics. The story was a mess and scenarios far smaller than on H3, but graphics were godly for the PS360 era.

H4 is part of the reason why we expected amazing graphics. It’s clear to me the engineers that made this are not working at 343 anymore.

Top Bottom