• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crysis Remastered Leaked Trailer vs Crysis Original - Graphics Evolution Comparison

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

A direct and detailed graphics evolution comparison of Crysis Remastered vs original Crysis! Let's see how the graphics have evolved in Crysis Remastered compared to the original Crysis game, which was released way back in 2007 by EA and Crytek! Enjoy!

NOTE : This is an EARLY comparison, using footage from the cancelled trailer. So graphics are not final! Crytek can still improve and fix the remastered version until they finally release it for PC,PS4 and Xbox One. Possibly even for PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X!

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
I don't get it man. The lighting's clearly better in some scenes (not all...) and a number of effects have been added, but the resulting image is nowhere near as good-looking as the original. Plus the textures are a big downgrade.

Maybe they'll up the visuals before they're ready for an official trailer release. My expectations were always pretty low though, since the remaster's targeting consoles, so I guess they can't disappoint me.

edit: the more i watch the worse it gets wtf

Last edited:

Venom Snake

The remaster actually looks better imo. The lighting isn't as flat anymore and shadows are much more pronounced.
As for the textures themselves, I don't know, the footage looks too blurry.

If anything looks worse here, it is a lack of proper tuning/balancing of graphical effects, it's an early conversion after all.
Let them work on it a bit longer, there is still room for improvement.

Last edited:

sinnergy

The color grading / tone mapping needs to be tweaked , could be the fastest solution. So that it artistically matches to original.

jigglet

Banned
I honestly think it's all a little disappointing. The original Crysis was built for PC's that wouldn't be released for 5 years, it was like the monolith from 2001 that pushed us further. It was an absurdly high benchmark. I was hoping the remaster would aim for a level of computational power we wouldn't see for another 5-10 years. You might think; well who would buy that? I think there would be a huge enthusiast community that would be into this sort of concept. This would work well on consoles too now that they are designed with variable framerates, VRR, and backwards compatibility. Aim for PS6 / PS7. This should be the mother of all meme releases.

Last edited:

Beer Baelly

Al Pachinko, Konami President

images_qtbn3aand9gcqo9sjkf.jpg

MadAnon

In some cases the lighting and shadow improvements look great but it's amazing how bad that remaster can look in other scenes. In the scene used in thumbnail Prophet's face looks like it's made out of clay. Wtf is this ugly shit!? Just cancel it ffs.

Last edited:

Rikkori

That's the problem with remastering graphical juggernauts - you can't just add extra effects like with older games that weren't pushing the envelope, because the art direction is then no longer respected & you end up staring at obvious down-grades artistically and not getting much in return because again, the game is still to this day a graphical showcase, especially if you also mod/reshade it a bit.

Crysis still holds up VERY well today so if you aren't 100% committed to respecting the artistical choices made in the past then you are going to be coming up short regardless of how pretty the new lighting is.

To me the most obvious example here is when he barges into the room with the hostage and you can see how different the lighting is but the original atmosphere is gone. Yes - the newer lighting is the one closer to reality but that doesn't make it better for that scene, it makes it worse because now that harsh shadowing is lost and with it a lot of the tension in the scene. That's what I mean when I say you can't just add new effects without understanding the art direction, because you're gonna mess things up in those kinds of situations.

tl;dr
tumblr_inline_p11jzulAd71rpi6r3_500.gifv

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
The very good motion blur is gone, textures are worse. Everything else looks better

Kuranghi

The remaster actually looks better imo. The lighting isn't as flat anymore and shadows are much more pronounced.
As for the textures themselves, I don't know, the footage looks too blurry.

If anything looks worse here, it is a lack of proper tuning/balancing of graphical effects, it's an early conversion after all.
Let them work on it a bit longer, there is still room for improvement.

If thats what you like in the new version you could lower the gamma and increase the contrast in the old game and have the best of all worlds, do the boat turret scenes look good to you? I can't see a damn thing haha

baphomet

That remake is embarrassingly ugly.

The only advantage over the original is the lighting is no longer super flat. But now the remake lighting is blown out and looks equally bad, if not worse.

Venom Snake

If thats what you like in the new version you could lower the gamma and increase the contrast in the old game and have the best of all worlds, do the boat turret scenes look good to you? I can't see a damn thing haha

This part of the clip looks the least convincing to me, the night sections need modifications for sure. On the other hand, when it comes to the daytime, i'm afraid that playing with contrast and gamma will not make up for deficiencies in the quality of shadows, AO or transparency effects, at least not to the level provided by a more modern renderer.

Anyway, I agree that the remaster of such a graphically advanced game requires more attention, and so far it's just missing. Crytek has to spend more time and resources, there is no other way.

MiguelItUp

Man, this is the worst looking "remaster" we've seen in a bit. Hopefully they're able to do quite a bit more with it.

Venom Snake

So ps4 could run this at 1080p/max with 30fps, Xbone at 900p. And that's on DX10.
Another example:

The potential quality reduction should not result from the hardware capabilities of the consoles in this case.
Edit: unless they wanted 60fps or something close to that.

Last edited:

Orta

Banned
Going by that video they needn't have bothered.

A remastered Far Cry 1 could have been a sight to behold though.

diffusionx

Gold Member
So ps4 could run this at 1080p/max with 30fps, Xbone at 900p. And that's on DX10.
Another example:

The potential quality reduction should not result from the hardware capabilities of the consoles in this case.
Edit: unless they wanted 60fps or something close to that.

I see what you are saying, guess we can nitpick but 1080p/max at 30fps doesn't strike me as eating it for breakfast. I don't think they're "dumbing it down for console" but making really bad decisions on the look of the game based on rendering techniques today. To some extent they did that for the 360/PS3 ports which were fine for what they were. But, part of the thing about Crysis is that it doesn't look like everything else, it's very unique. I would want them to preserve that.

The old game still looks fantastic, outside of some textures (which makes sense considering GPUs had, I think, 512MB of memory at the time), so this has to bring something big to the table to be worth bothering with. If it just looks like every other outdoor FPS, screw it.

Last edited:

UnNamed

Banned
Every time the autor of this video use the words "less natural" I feel the impulse to choke a kitten. Another case of "I have no idea of what I've just saw" video.

We can debate if the original game art style was better, and in some cases it was, but you cannot miss the better lighting model, the use of proper materials, SSR (and maybe some RTX reflection in the final game on PC), more objects casting (better) shadows, and so on.

Some people say this is a Crysis X60 Remaster, and they are not far from the true, since the console iteration improved some technical aspects using the Cryengine 3 over CE2.

It's a remaster, not a remake. The last remasters I've seen just had some better texture and a better resolution.

pawel86ck

Banned
I was a huge crysis 1 fan, however I must say this remaster looks really disappointing. Not only there is a different and ugly color aesthetic (oversaturated and unrealistic), but even mountains in the distance looks less detailed.

Personally I would be still happy if crysis 1 remaster would look the same. All I want is a proper multicore support.

It takes more than adjusting gamma to make the two versions similar. It could be that the remaster was held back for the Switch version though, is there a next gen version planned with ray tracing? ...

faisalasif

is a solid port actually

Well , I had a lot frame-drops while playing the game . Some texture loading issue as well but the main issue that I was facing while playing the game in extreme explosion or heavy gun fight I see a lot frame drops which makes game unplayable during some fights. Driving a car is also is very difficult with frame drops.

Kerotan

I know it was a tech marvel but as an actual game how good is this game. If you don't care about graphics what was it out of 10? Gameplay and story wise? I've played crysis 3 but not this.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I know it was a tech marvel but as an actual game how good is this game. If you don't care about graphics what was it out of 10? Gameplay and story wise? I've played crysis 3 but not this.
Not good. Clunk and bad story. Crysis 2 was much better

-Arcadia-

Banned
On a quick look, in an in-Gaf YouTube player it looks good... until it doesn't. Some really weird absences and changes.

Top Bottom