• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crysis Remastered (XBLA/PSN) screenshots released [Up: New gameplay video]

Tain

Foliorum Viridum said:
I don't like the new lighting as much in some of the new shots. They look too bright.

For sure. It kinda looks like the blown-out contrast you see in some PC game mods.

plc268

Eh... it looks fine. It'll probably look even better in motion.

That said, I'm a PC gamer at heart, and I hope that more console players get to play Crysis 1 and realize what a pile of shit Crysis 2 was... assuming they don't stick the usual console trappings back into Crysis 1.

What I mean by that, is that Crysis 2 basically held your hand throughout the entire game telling you all the available tactical options, repeatedly telling to press a button to pick a weapon up, etc. It sounds relatively minor, and it is, but it makes a difference.

A lot of people like to think that Crysis 1 was all about graphics and had no gameplay... and if they thought that, then they took the most vanilla route possible. I can't explain the sheer fun I had sneaking around and flanking enemies, or bull rushing them and punching them with strength activated. Of course, doing some of that required you to map your suit powers to new keys (suit shortcuts worked too), so I'm not entirely sure how much of that would be possible on a controller.

But yea, Crysis 2 was a corridor shooter on rails at heart... where you had a few opportunities with open rooms. Crysis 1 gives you a large map (it's sectioned off by impassable mountains, so it's no completely open), and it's a much more open and organic experience. How much fun you have with the game won't rely on ridiculous set pieces, it will rely on how you decide to approach a particular situation with your suit powers.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
sleepykyo said:
Most likely the frame rate.
Well, the framerate in the trailer is very smooth and consistent, for the most part, which is smoother than how most people played the game back in 2007. It should be a solid experience for console players.

delta25

Banned
angular graphics said:
Are you talking to yourself? What do you think I am trying to prove?

You've done nothing in this thread but take pop shots at anything passively negative towards consoles and console gamers, Its bit insecure if you ask me, I mean, just look at you name for Christ sake.
The only thing your trying to prove is your inability to have an open mind towards the console version, I think we're all aware that it wont look as good as the PC version of Crysis Dx10 maxed at 1920x1080, but under the constraints of the current gen consoles the console version no doubt looks better, way better then anyone would have expected.
Face the facts bub, like or not, the console version is damn well near equivalent to The PC version running DX9 most settings set to high.

Mr_Brit

Banned
delta25 said:
You've done nothing in this thread but take pop shots at anything passively negative towards consoles and console gamers, Its bit insecure if you ask me, I mean, just look at you name for Christ sake.
The only thing your trying to prove is your inability to have an open mind towards the console version, I think we're all aware that it wont look as good as the PC version of Crysis Dx10 maxed at 1920x1080, but under the constraints of the current gen consoles the console version no doubt looks better, way better then anyone would have expected.
Face the facts bub, like or not, the console version is damn well near equivalent to The PC version running DX9 most settings set to high.

You can't be serious. Please tell me you're trolling.

delta25 said:

check your eyes bro.

Dam bro don't be so defensive those old ancient boxes have seen their time.
It's time to put them in a retirement box and wait till they get Rrod and Ylod.

Let the new generation flourish because if there's one thing this game and the leaked 360 footage of bf3 shows that its time to go on.

KageMaru

angular graphics said:

I thought you were turning the comparison into a pissing contest. If that wasn't your intention, I apologize.

delta25 said:

What the hell are you talking about?

Honestly, I think you are a bit insecure :p

Dabanton

dragonelite said:
check your eyes bro.

Let the new generation flourish because if there's one thing this game and the leaked 360 footage of bf3 shows that its time to go on.

Games like Gears 3 and Uncharted 3 say this gen has more than enough life left in it.

And that BF3 360 footage is pre - alpha.

KageMaru said:
I thought you were turning the comparison into a pissing contest. If that wasn't your intention, I apologize.

The very trailer that announces the game says "Remastered with all new lighting", "all new effects", it begs for comparisons to be made.

That being said I never said anywhere it looks bad in this thread.

Pranay

angular graphics said:

angular graphics said:
The very trailer that announces the game says "Remastered with all new lighting", "all new effects", it begs for comparisons to be made.

Whats the point comparing trailer screenshots with direct pc screenshot ?

Cant you compare it with the screenshots posted in the first page ? if u really want to compare it /?

dark10x

Mr_Brit said:
[/B]
You're right, the effects being used in the 360 version were not available in DX9 by default. They are using effects that were only enabled with the "Very High" settings in the PC version. Even under DX9, forcing motion blur resulted in visual errors in many situations.

So, the console version is giving us many of the effects of the DX10 Very High settings with reductions made to memory intensive details and things like parallax occlusion maps.

The very trailer says "Remastered with all new lighting", "all new effects", it begs for comparisons to be made.
I think those comparisons are fair as well. The first two shots are inferior in the 360 footage, but the rest actually look better in many ways.

Mr_Brit

Banned
dark10x said:
You're right, the effects being used in the 360 version were not available in DX9 by default. They are using effects that were only enabled with the "Very High" settings in the PC version. Even under DX9, forcing motion blur resulted in visual errors in many situations.

So, the console version is giving us many of the effects of the DX10 Very High settings with reductions made to memory intensive details and things like parallax occlusion maps.
He said most settings were equivalent to PC on high, aside from lighting, nothing else is even close.

delta25

Banned
Mr_Brit said:
[/B]

How is that trolling? Based on the video we've seen thus far and a few of the screen comparisons IMO it does indeed look pretty damn close. I guess ultimately we'll all have to wait and see because comparing direct in-game footage to direct feed image's isn't necessarily fair if you ask me.

Pranay_ said:
Whats the point comparing trailer screenshots with direct pc screenshot ?

Cant you compare it with the screenshots posted in the first page ? if u really want to compare it /?

You can compare the "all new" lighting, (missing) foliage, poly counts.

You can't compare IQ, and maybe texture resolution.

Mr_Brit

Banned
delta25 said:
How is that trolling? Based on the video we've seen thus far and a few of the screen comparisons IMO it does indeed look pretty damn close. I guess ultimately we'll all have to wait and see because comparing direct in-game footage to direct feed image's isn't necessarily fair if you ask me.
Anyone with functioning eyes can tell that no aspect of the console port aside from the lighting is anywhere near high.

GamerSciz

Crysis was a graphics revolution in gaming but it was also a fun game. To bring it to consoles after Crysis 2 has already come out is really sad imho. It's just a "milking" technique that hopefully not many gamers will fall for. So far it looks horrible. Cryengine3 might be console friendly but CryEngine2 made Crysis look better then Crysis 2.

I was thinking about getting a new pc to play the witcher 2 and crysis.

Seeing this competent version, i might put that on hold.

Its really insane how well these old school consoles hold up to the pc.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
I don't give a fuck about all this platform warring, all I know is that I never got to play Crysis because I never had a PC good enough, so I'm glad I will be able to now. And it looks pretty good to me.

dark10x

Mr_Brit said:
He said most settings were equivalent to PC on high, aside from lighting, nothing else is even close.
I disagree.

The trailer seems to indicate that many of the settings in effect are comparable to High or Very High in the PC version.

Post processing, game effects, volumetric effects, shaders, and physics quality all seem to be at least equivalent to High or Very High.

Texture quality, object quality, and shadow quality are the three that have taken a hit.

Sound quality is unknown, of course.

Again, it's difficult to pass judgement, but there is plenty of indication in the trailer and shots that this is the case. You can never really make a 1:1 comparison, however, as they are clearly producing results that are customized for consoles. I'd imagine textures, for instance, vary heavily with some of them being close to High or Very High textures on the PC while others being reduced significantly. Same deal with object quality where some objects are still of high detail while others (including distant objects) are reduced. I don't think we can simply say they are using settings equivalent to the PC original. We DO know that a lot of the things going on in that trailer were not possible with settings below High or even Very High in some cases (such as motion blur).

DarkChild

Banned
Mr_Brit said:
Anyone with functioning eyes can tell that no aspect of the console port aside from the lighting is anywhere near high.
I can say post processing and shaders look damn comparable. RAM/CPU intense things won't be as good of course, neither is going to be AF/AA, but lighting,shaders and post processing effects are higher than most people played it 2 years ago.

This is how it looked like 2 years ago(back when everybody said low-med settings)
cryengine3_trailer2.jpg

44275_orig.jpg

This is now
3gvi4.jpg

Dennis

Banned
Shadow of the BEAST said:

Satire is live and well on GAF, I see. Thats good, a hearty belly laugh is healthy.

Frankfurt

Banned
Shadow of the BEAST said:

Check the 360 videos of Witcher 2 while you're at it. PC GAF went just as nuts over at that thread.

dark10x said:
I disagree.

The trailer seems to indicate that many of the settings in effect are comparable to High or Very High in the PC version.

Post processing, game effects, volumetric effects, shaders, and physics quality all seem to be at least equivalent to High or Very High.

Texture quality, object quality, and shadow quality are the three that have taken a hit.

Sound quality is unknown, of course.

Again, it's difficult to pass judgement, but there is plenty of indication in the trailer and shots that this is the case. You can never really make a 1:1 comparison, however, as they are clearly producing results that are customized for consoles. I'd imagine textures, for instance, vary heavily with some of them being close to High or Very High textures on the PC while others being reduced significantly. Same deal with object quality where some objects are still of high detail while others (including distant objects) are reduced. I don't think we can simply say they are using settings equivalent to the PC original. We DO know that a lot of the things going on in that trailer were not possible with settings below High or even Very High in some cases (such as motion blur).

True, these effects are functional even on the lowest quality setting in Crysis 2, because they have been redone in CryEngine 3 and cost much less than before. In Crysis 1 times, they didn't care to take any shortcuts.

"We learned a lot with the consoles, especially how to make smarter and efficient usage of scarce rendering resources. In Crysis 1 times, our attitude was, 'oh what the heck, what's one more additional full resolution FP16 target or a couple of full-screen passes, let's just add it.' You can't take such a naive approach for consoles,"

SonnyBoy

Emerson said:
I don't give a fuck about all this platform warring, all I know is that I never got to play Crysis because I never had a PC good enough, so I'm glad I will be able to now. And it looks pretty good to me.

This.

diffusionx

Gold Member
I'm not sure if this is comparable to Crysis on High, but it's definitely closer to High than medium.

DennisK4 said:
Satire is live and well on GAF, I see. Thats good, a hearty belly laugh is healthy.

It's not really satire though... I too was thinking of building a new PC but with Witcher 2 coming out on 360 I'd just rather not. I need more than just fancier graphics to compel me to build a $600+ PC.

KageMaru

angular graphics said:

My mistake. It's not easy to keep up in these threads while I'm at work =p

I have no beef with comparisons to be made to put things in perspective or to discuss different approaches taken between the various platforms. I just never understood people who will compare games running on hardware that differs in price by $600 or more, which is what I thought you were doing.

I'm amazed that they got Crysis 1 to run at all, and even more impressed that they got it to look this good.

DarkChild

Banned
Holy shit that trailer in HD looked amazing. Seriously, amazing. Kuddos to Crytek for achieving all that on 6 year old machine...

dragonelite said:
check your eyes bro.

So much salt! :lol

Considering crysis 2 was a real pop up lag fest, I can't imagine how this one will be.

Graphics wise it looks like pc version on medium settings

dark10x

Lovely Salsa said:
Considering crysis 2 was a real pop up lag fest, I can't imagine how this one will be.

Graphics wise it looks like pc version on medium settings
People keep saying this, but it's not that straight forward. The effects in play are of Very High quality, for instance. There is no object motion blur, god rays, or various other advanced effects when using Medium across the board.

DarkChild

Banned
dark10x said:
People keep saying this, but it's not that straight forward. The effects in play are of Very High quality, for instance. There is no object motion blur, god rays, or various other advanced effects when using Medium across the board.
Is there bokeh DOF in any version of Crysis 1? I'll have to check, I don't think there was, but they have awesome DOF.

Basically, console version will benefit from high settings shaders, lighting and post processing. Memory and cpu intense things will have to be pared back, thats it. 512mb people...

KKRT00

dragonelite said:
check your eyes bro.
But he's right about high settings.

Features exclusive to very high settings that are in console version:
Object Motion Blur, ToneMapping, Godrays, better DOF [than high, there are no dof on medium settings!] and CE3 has bokeh simulations

Features exclusive to high and very high that are in console version:
SSAO, shadows on all object in distance, better distance view
http://strony.aster.pl/kakarotto/c1_comp.png

Textures are on more high level than medium. Just compare this
http://www.ea.com/crysis-1/images/b1e2a382e1f42310VgnVCM1000001065140aRCRD

vs
http://ve3d.ign.com/images/fullsize/18462/PC/Crysis/Screenshots/DX10-Merged-Comparison
http://ve3d.ign.com/images/fullsize/18460/PC/Crysis/Screenshots/DX10-Merged-Comparison
http://ve3d.ign.com/images/fullsize...Merged-Very-High-To-Low-Comparison-Screenshot

You also get better lighting, better refraction and transparency effects and unfortunately lower shadow resolution and less foliage [vs any PC settings]

----
DarkChild said:
Is there bokeh DOF in any version of Crysis 1? I'll have to check, I don't think there was, but they have awesome DOF.

Basically, console version will benefit from high settings shaders, lighting and post processing. Memory and cpu intense things will have to be pared back, thats it. 512mb people...
No there's not. There is one mod that adds that, but its eats to much ms.

KKRT00 said:
But he's right about high settings.

Features exclusive to very high settings that are in console version:
Object Motion Blur, ToneMapping, Godrays, better DOF [than high, there are no dof on medium settings!] and CE3 has bokeh simulations

Features exclusive to high and very high that are in console version:
SSAO, shadows on all object in distance, better distance view
http://strony.aster.pl/kakarotto/c1_comp.png

Textures are on more high level than medium. Just compare this
http://www.ea.com/crysis-1/images/b1e2a382e1f42310VgnVCM1000001065140aRCRD

vs
http://ve3d.ign.com/images/fullsize/18462/PC/Crysis/Screenshots/DX10-Merged-Comparison
http://ve3d.ign.com/images/fullsize/18460/PC/Crysis/Screenshots/DX10-Merged-Comparison
http://ve3d.ign.com/images/fullsize...Merged-Very-High-To-Low-Comparison-Screenshot

You also get better lighting, better refraction and transparency effects and unfortunately lower shadow resolution and less foliage [vs any PC settings]

----

No there's not. There is one mod that adds that, but its eats to much ms.

No no and no. And by just looking at the nano suit from the pictures, Its definitely not high settings (textures)

KKRT00

Lovely Salsa said:
No no and no. And by just looking at the nano suit from the pictures, Its definitely not high settings
Next constructive post... Can You elaborate more? Or proof me what i wrote wrong, but with examples from a game!

What a pity that i dont have Crysis 1 installed.

Zen

Banned
Pranay_ said:
The rest of the screenshots are not compared with the exact location so i didnt bother posting them

To be honest, I didn't catch the 'PC" 'PS3/360' tags the first time and assumed that the top shots were PC shots because they looked much better.

Good job, Crytek.

KKRT00 said:
Next constructive post... Can You elaborate more? Or proof me what i wrote wrong, but with examples from a game!

What a pity that i dont have Crysis 1 installed.

Give me a high res screenshot of the console version looking at the boxes or whatever, and not a screenshot looking from the distance. Then lets compare

Edit: By looking at the screenshots in the OP, I can already tell its definitely not high settings

is it just me or have they dropped god rays for and just added a load of light bloom?

I spent way to much time looking at tree's as the light goes around it or pointing my gun at the sun in crysis and crysis 2 so I hope they didnt remove it.

KKRT00

Lovely Salsa said:
Give me a high res screenshot of the console version looking at the boxes or whatever, and not a screenshot looking from distance. Then lets compare

Edit: By looking at the screenshots in the OP, I can already tell its definitely not high quality
But You have the same distance from boxes, ground and other elements in both versions and You can see difference between high and medium from those distances, so what do You want more?

funkystudent said:
is it just me or have they dropped god rays for and just added a load of light bloom?

I spent way to much time looking at tree's as the light goes around it or pointing my gun at the sun in crysis and crysis 2 so I hope they didnt remove it.
You can see them here
http://i.imgur.com/puhU3.jpg

Xzero, the guy that wrote a ton of shaders for Crysis 1, even fixing AF + POM, now that he works @Crytek says this:

At first I was like "ugh the colorgrading ruins the night scenes"... then I saw the sunset and I was like "Linear lighting at work! <3".

Seriously, the new lighting makes it look so much more vivid. :)

You'd be amazed by how bad C1 is in terms of optimizations. You'd also be amazed by how much merging shaders can help speed up the engine. CE2 was a huge waste of resources, it really was. Just.... trust me on that.

I hope you realize a lot of the shaders I wrote include several things that are in the new engine, such as linear lighting or consistent specular lighting. The lighting in CE3 is unarguably better and so the console versions of C1 will also benefit. Don't underestimate physically correct lighting and correct math.

;)

Also: environment probes. ;)

Anyway, tetxures, objects, LODs, all of these things were not well optimized for memory usage in CE2. With some correct optimizations they could easily get the game to run within the consolelimits. Again, the game was actually horribly optimized, and everyone at Crytek knows it. Everything from the assets to the post-process pipeline wasn't given much thought as they were purely PC at the time. The move to consoles really opened their eyes to it. And now CE3 runs as smooth as butter. :D

Though obviously draw distance and texture res might suffer a bit more, but honestly the original game's textures were crap too. Most of them are just 512x512 (some are even 256x256!) with some detail-bump mapping applied. Most people have sugar-coated their memory of Crysis' textures. They were never that good. :p

Then I ask you, why was Tessellation in Crysis 2 used so horribly?

Because someone was trigger happy with it :S. Even Tiago is face-palming over the implementation of tessellation.

Is that your only argument? xD Unless you know more about the engine than the actual R&D team, I'd like to see you disprove my statements. lol

I know people want a CE3 version of C1 on PC, I know I do, but I don't see the need. We have a mod SDK, we have a skilled community. If we had the GO to port it to the CE3 SDK, then I'm sure we can do that as well.

I don't know why it matters so much to anyone that C1 looks better on PC than it does on consoles. This whole console nonsense is borderline racism, and to be quite honest it's fairly ignorant. Just enjoy the damn game peeps, stop busting other peoples nuts over their preferred platform. If you want the new stuff, pick up the console copy. Don't like the controls? Then don't get it. You can't always have things the way you want them, so pick whichever one you want more and stick with it. Otherwise you'll soon find yourself at a dead end in more than just your game decisions. :p

Note: If you don't have that particular console, then that's just an inconvenience you'll have to deal with. :(

Sorry, can't say. Partially because well.. I can't.. and partially because I actually don't know. I've been focusing more on my own work than that of others. >.>

The tessellation was a mess, I'm sure everyone agrees on that. Also IIRC it doesn't support smoothing, which is why most of the tessellated objects never really "looked" tessellated aside from displacement mapping. :B

Nobody's losing anything. I think the problem is many PC gamers take things for granted. Look at the crap that went down when there were no mod tools for C2. We're given the world and expect the universe. As far as I'm concerned, any arguments you're trying to win are pointless. It's all system wars, and it's completely useless.

It seems rather silly to go to the extent of saying your treated so poorly. What do we do to you? We don't beat you or anything horrible like that. We don't overcharge you for games (on average PC gamers are usually cheaper). We give you an independent SDK and Crysis 2 Mod SDK (which alone are probably worth a crapload). And in return we get "**** you Crytek, y u no give us (input name of something here)". If it's not one thing then it's another. Like spoiled children, nothing is ever enough.

Also "standing out from the rest" as a PC gamer is easy. We've got awesome controls, wicked systems and powerhouse displays and GPUs. Regardless of exclusivity we still get some pretty wicked stuff. Everyone knows that the console version of a game will look worse than it's PC counterpart, particularly if the game was developed on PC first. But console gamers don't really care, they just like playing games. :D

Anyway I'm out lol, sleep is needed and I get incoherent and rambly (and say random things that I might not otherwise say) when I'm tired. Kinda like a drunk. XD

And from another Crytek staffer:

The lighting overall is far superior to that that was originally in CE2, and actually properly lights were its supposed to - the scene in the airplane shows that quite well, along with the dawn picture.

Crytek never denied that CE2 was massively unoptimised. It was pretty damn clear it was, and you didn't have to work at Crytek to find that out. What exactly has anyone lied about in regards to this? In regards to the graphics settings, if you compare Crysis 2's low setting to Crysis 1.. well, lets just say theres a considerable difference. :rolleyes:

I'm not entirely sure what you're getting at here really. Crytek has enough staff to not be having to use all their staff for a single project, there is several development teams at Frankfurt alone, nevermind Nottingham, Kiev etc. and its got the funding to be able to do it. God forbid that Console gamers get to play the same game. Or is it because it uses a controller, the same kind of gameplay is impossible... which, by the way, is total rubbish. :rolleyes:

KKRT00 said:
But You have the same distance from boxes, ground and other elements in both versions and You can see difference between high and medium from those distances, so what do You want more?

Look at the ground on the first screen. The ground and the rock look more like low/medium settings than anything. About same thing with the other screens, all look kinda blurry from distance if you catch my drift.

My opinion is that overall it looks like the pc version on medium settings with better lighting.

graphics aside, the main problem will probably be the game in motion. With fps dropping below 30 occasionaly and having to deal with the annoying pop ups.

.la1n

I have no need to play through Crysis again but don't see anything particularly appalling about these screens?

It kind of reminds of way back when I first started getting into building my own PC's, you always wanted the slightly faster video card than your friend had but you both ended just having fun in the end and not giving a shit.

Console players get to play Crysis? Awesome! I can still play it on PC too. What is the issue here guys?

Demon Ice

Banned
Meisadragon said:
Nice bullshots, EA. Perfect color palette and rich looking textures and all that, oh and 1080p res, what?

Er, what? I don't think you know what good textures are if you think the ones in the OP are "rich looking".

.la1n

Somebody needs to start an elitist vs elitist crysis thread so actual talk about the console version can be done.

Dennis

Banned
Its quite possible that the lighting is much better technically in CE3 than CE2 but their color choices for Crysis 2 was nothing short of horrendous. Nearly broke my heart when I first saw it.

Yes Crysis 2 is still a gobsmackingly beautiful game but it could have been so much more visually.

Fucking Crytek for aping that piss filter grimdark gritty bullshit.

Top Bottom