• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crysis Warhead teaser site launched!

zaidr

onemic said:
?

The reason a whole ton of people pirated crysis was that they thought it probably would play like shit on their PC's. "hat's the point of buying a game if there's a good chance it won't run on your PC? might as well pirate it and see how it goes." This was probably their line of thinking. By making the game more accessable to people on a wider range of GPU's, it makes it a lot less likely that these same people will pirate the game again, since they know fully well that it will run well on their PC's.

Isn't that what demos are for?

Onemic

zaidr said:
Isn't that what demos are for?

Exactly. But these people either don't DL the demo, or they DL it and it runs like crap, but they still want it so they pirate it and don't bother buying the game as it would be more or less a waste of money.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
onemic said:
It's definately partially true to a certain extent.
Yup, it is. I wasn't arguing that.

edit: btw, yeah. I could definitely see people pirating because they're not sure if their comps could handle it. Then again I know someone who uses a 8000-era ATI card that bought the game. He runs it mostly on medium too since he doesn't have all that new-fangled pixelshader shit bogging his fps down.

zaidr

onemic said:
Exactly. But these people either don't DL the demo, or they DL it and it runs like crap, but they still want it so they pirate it and don't bother buying the game as it would be more or less a waste of money.

Thats kind of convoluted reasoning. Why bother with the actual game at all if you know your computer can't handle it based on the demo? And conversely, whats stopping these same people, if the game runs well on their computer, from pirating it still? Its easy enough whether you have a capable PC or not, and it seems to me, if you DO have a capable PC, these people have more of an inclination to "try and not buy" these games even more than if it were otherwise.

All I'm trying to get across is, if your moral compass already says pirating games is OK, having a capable PC for gaming isn't going to change that.

Edit: What it WILL do, is skew the NPD and off the collar research numbers into making the story of "look how many sales we've lost on PC" even grander...

Onemic

zaidr said:
Thats kind of convoluted reasoning. Why bother with the actual game at all if you know your computer can't handle it based on the demo? And conversely, whats stopping these same people, if the game runs well on their computer, from pirating it still? Its easy enough whether you have a capable PC or not, and it seems to me, if you DO have a capable PC, these people have more of an inclination to "try and not buy" these games even more than if it were otherwise.

All I'm trying to get across is, if your moral compass already says pirating games is OK, having a capable PC for gaming isn't going to change that.

True, but that's typically how piraters think when they pirate PC games that they actually most likely would have bought in the first place.

If you really like a game that isn't that playable on your PC, wouldn't you still want to play it? To pirates even though they may not be able to run the game properly after looking at system requirements or playing a demo, they still want the full experience, so they may as well just pirate it.

zaidr

onemic said:
True, but that's typically how piraters think when they pirate PC games that they actually most likely would have bought in the first place.

If you really like a game that isn't that playable on your PC, wouldn't you still want to play it? To pirates even though they may not be able to run the game properly after looking at system requirements or playing a demo, they still want the full experience, so they may as well just pirate it.

I get that last part totally, but for these people, its unrealistic to think that they would have bought the game at all. If they really like a game, and have no problem with pirating a game in the first place, having a game they really enjoy work better on their PC would just make it more appealing to pirate.

Thats not to say games shouldn't be made to work well on current hardware, but that expecting pirates to move over into being real consumers based on how well a game runs is unrealistic.

Onemic

zaidr said:
I get that last part totally, but for these people, its unrealistic to think that they would have bought the game at all. If they really like a game, and have no problem with pirating a game in the first place, having a game they really enjoy work better on their PC would just make it more appealing to pirate.

Thats not to say games shouldn't be made to work well on current hardware, but that expecting pirates to move over into being real consumers based on how well a game runs is unrealistic.

But it's not like everyone that pirates is a full out pirater and never buys any games whatsoever. There are plenty of people I know that pirate based on specific circumstances, and for Crysis there were a rather large number of non-piraters that pirated it simply because they were afraid of how well it would run on their PC. For those general non-piraters making the game more accessable would definately make them buy it.

Of course there will always be your typical pirater that pirates everything and anything regardless of how much they want it.

einhard

onemic said:
But it's not like everyone that pirates is a full out pirater and never buys any games whatsoever. There are plenty of people I know that pirate based on specific circumstances, and for Crysis there were a rather large number of non-piraters that pirated it simply because they were afraid of how well it would run on their PC. For those general non-piraters making the game more accessable would definately make them buy it.

Of course there will always be your typical pirater that pirates everything and anything regardless of how much they want it.
Did the people who pirated turn around and buy the game if it worked on their setups?

-SD-

Banned
Crysis: Warhead teaser screenshots. Really small ones.

http://www.incrysis.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=667

crysis_warhead_pcaction1.png

crysis_warhead_pcaction2.png

crysis_warhead_pcaction3.png

crysis_warhead_pcaction4.png

crysis_warhead_pcaction5.png

crysis_warhead_pcaction6.png

crysis_warhead_pcaction7.png

Zenith

Banned
I don't know why but I just got a sudden feeling that this will be to Crysis what all those FEAR expansion packs were to the original.

VaLiancY

Zenith said:
I don't know why but I just got a sudden feeling that this will be to Crysis what all those FEAR expansion packs were to the original.

I think the developer of Warhead is relatively close to the original studio. The guys who did the FEAR expansion, I think the closest they were on was the edge of the universe.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Can't fucking unsee it...

Top Bottom