• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crystal Dynamics (Marvel's The Avengers) sounds online, is 3rd person cover based

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
"Various [online] game modes and campaigns." sounds... suspiciously like an online oriented title, especially the campaigns part.

Cover based shooter sounds kind of odd for an Avengers title given the heroes in question as well, but it is what their strength is.

Lead Level Designer
Redwood City, CA, United States

Position Summary:

Crystal Dynamics is looking for an outstanding Lead Level Designer to join our design team to develop fun and unique online experiences. The Lead Level Designer will primarily focus on level development. A successful Lead Level Designer will be a hands-on individual contributor with a strong understanding of everything from the fundamentals of game balance and tuning to the social implications of shared gameplay. They will have experience leading other developers to build engaging various game modes and campaigns.

Essential Duties:

Concept, design and implement fun and engaging game levels from the ground up.
Guide, mentor, and lead the design and development of cutting-edge online experiences.

https://crystald.com/careers/getJob/oEWB5fw0
Description

Join now to be part of our incredibly talented Design team working on the "Avengers Project" in our Redwood City studio, just south of San Francisco. Benefits for this full-time position include competitive salary, health insurance options to suit all lifestyles, generous paid time-off, as well as other studio and corporate perks, such as a free gym and discounts on games and goodies.

Position Summary:

Reporting to the Lead Combat Designer, Crystal Dynamics is on the hunt for an experienced Combat Systems Designer. This Designer will be responsible for working with the Lead Designer, Lead Combat designer and Game Directors to plan, prototype and build combat systems that directly apply to a 3rd person cover based action adventure game.

https://crystald.com/careers/getJob/oRAK5fw0
Position Requirements:

Own vast sections of our multiplayer game engine.
Relentlessly improve our online experience.
Work with designers to specify and cost multiplayer features.

https://crystald.com/careers/getJob/ouzK4fwB

Worth noting:

squaregamesasaservice2cp01.png

Interesting, i wonder if it be anything like that cancelled first person multiplayer Marvel game that I don't remember much about, aside from a PowerPoint presentation and some gameplay clips floating around.

Couldn't tell you if it was an Avengers title, sorry I don't know much about comics.

The Argus

So this confirms that a young B team is handling Tomb Raider then huh? Boo. ME:A says hello.

On the bright side this game will look phenomenal.

Zukkoyaki

3rd-Person, Cover Based can cover a lot of ground. Technically, Infamous for example is "cover based" if you want it to be. I'd have to imagine that's the mold they're aiming for with this game.

As for the online portion, I would have been shocked if there wasn't an online component in a game like this.

Awesome. Paying once for games I could keep playing forever was stupid. I've been waiting forever for games makers to figure out that I'd rather keep paying for random ass bullshit and more grind.

Game as a service, interesting..

I'm all for 3rd person cover shooters.

The idea of The Hulk or Thor in a 3rd person cover environment sounds hilarious.

Or what if the players aren't actually the heroes?

The Avengers will be there, but as NPCs helping us through the missions.

I AM THANOS

DESTROYER OF WORLDS

WITH THE FLICK OF MY FINGER I CAN MAKE YOU DISAPPEAR FROM EXISTENCE

EVERY PLANET COWERS IN MY PRESENCE, CHILDREN WEEP AT MY NAME

*gets behind cover*

*takes out SMG and shoots at you occasionally*

Hmm... Okay, so maybe this is more like Battlefront, where most players will play random soldiers/agents from each faction (Shield/Hydra), and every once in a while a player is picked to play actually important characters.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

Well, the teaser did seem to imply something about reuniting the Avengers.

Maybe you play as an Agent of SHIELD.

You are a regular person who has a machine gun and a sub-machinegun, and you cover-shoot at various Hydra soldiers until you free an Avenger, who thanks you and flies off into the distance.

Bosses consist of people like Ultron who float around and have 5000 HP, so you shoot at them and then move to a new piece of cover when they throw a grenade at you once every 15 seconds.

It can be like that Batman Arkham Origins multiplayer mode where you played as one of Joker's clown makeup prison thugs.

Neoxon

You are a regular person who has a machine gun and a sub-machinegun, and you cover-shoot at various Hydra soldiers until you free an Avenger, who thanks you and flies off into the distance.

Bosses consist of people like Ultron who float around and have 5000 HP, so you shoot at them and then move to a new piece of cover when they throw a grenade at you once every 15 seconds.

It can be like that Batman Arkham Origins multiplayer mode where you played as one of Joker's clown makeup prison thugs.
It could also be a new Avengers team trying to reassemble the old crew. I'd imagine that the team would be not unlike the new team on Avengers Assemble (Captain Marvel & Black Panther as co-leaders, Ant-Man, Wasp, Ms. Marvel, & Vision).

snap

Banned

that sounds like a colossal misfire

you finally get the marvel license for a good, AAA action video game and instead of playing as the avengers you play as some nameless mook

jackdoe

that sounds like a colossal misfire

you finally get the marvel license for a good, AAA action video game and instead of playing as the avengers you play as some nameless mook
Or to put it in other words, you buy the game hoping to play a Marvel movie, but you end up with an ABC TV series at worst and a Netflix TV series at best.

Surprised people are putting so much weight behind the 'cover' quote.

This reeks of a 3rd-person class-based (Marvel) Hero Shooter. Which could be compelling if there's a good amount of Singleplayer, PVE, and balanced competitive.

Games as a service just isn't my jam. I'm hoping for at least a single player campaign separate from the games as a service. (in the vein of Arkham)

I wonder though, is Gaas really the future?

The God

god this sounds so wack it's probably accurate

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Games as a service just isn't my jam. I'm hoping for at least a single player campaign separate from the games as a service. (in the vein of Arkham)

I wonder though, is Gaas really the future?

It's probably the direction of most $100+ million budget AAA games going forward.

That said, I expect people to make lots of non-service games at other budget tiers.

LaNaranja

Or to put it in other words, you buy the game hoping to play a Marvel movie, but you end up with an ABC TV series at worst and a Netflix TV series at best.

I would totally be down for an Agents of SHIELD game. Give me that playable Quake, Ghost Rider and Yo-Yo. And Mac with his shotgun axe. Oh and Coulson with his shield. Make it play like the inFamous games only with multiple protagonists like GTA 5. Fuck it, while we are at inFamous comparisons might as well put Lincoln in the game too.

The trailer made it sound like you would be making your own hero, but having gameplay around cover-based combat sounds like the only abilities you get are based on "has a gun", which would be really bad.

bananas

Banned
I always thought an Overwatch/TF2 type game with Marvel characters would be a pretty obvious idea, but maybe I'm wrong?

Now the game based on a Marvel comic they should be making is Strikeforce Morituri, a comic set in an alternate universe where an army of scavenger aliens attacks earth to take our tech and kill us off and the only hope are soldiers given powers at random through a procedure with a high mortality rate (which will kill them in a year if they do survive) and deadly training. That's the only Marvel thing I can think of that could work as a 3rd person shooter.

latest

moriturihousead.jpg

I always thought an Overwatch/TF2 type game with Marvel characters would be a pretty obvious idea, but maybe I'm wrong?
A Marvel/DC game done as Overwatch can't really work. Overwatch works because the heroes aren't really superheroes in the standard comic book sense (more of a saturday morning cartoon).

All OW characters main ability boils down to having a gun to shoot people with, which wouldn't really work with Superman, the Hulk, Spider-Man, or numerous others. Hell, they tried do a Batman team-based shooter with Gotham City Imposters, and the only way they could justify it is that the cast is made up of crazy fans of Batman and the Joker who dress up like them and get into zany shootouts.

jdstorm

Banned
I'd be up for a TPS Destiny clone hero shooter staring various Avengers characters as each specific class

IE using Destiny equivalents

Titan - Striker = Hulk, Sentinal = Cap
Hunter- Nightstalker = Hawkeye, bladedancer = Widdow
Warlock- Voidwalker = Wanda ect

barit

That all sounds a little ... worrying

Online based (Nothing makes money anymore if it's not fucking GaSS), 3rd person cover shooter (Whaaat?), Crystal Dynamics who gave us two medicore TR so far (buuuhh).

Maybe they can surprise us but I don't believe it

A Marvel/DC game done as Overwatch can't really work. Overwatch works because the heroes aren't really superheroes in the standard comic book sense (more of a saturday morning cartoon).

All OW characters main ability boils down to having a gun to shoot people with, which wouldn't really work with Superman, the Hulk, Spider-Man, or numerous others. Hell, they tried do a Batman team-based shooter with Gotham City Imposters, and the only way they could justify it is that the cast is made up of crazy fans of Batman and the Joker who dress up like them and get into zany shootouts.

I think this would obviously be a limitation in design, but don't you think they could resolve, or at least skirt around this issue somehow? Obviously it like couldn't be class-based like Overwatch, as adapting Marvel Heroes to the Tank/DPS/Healer trifecta just wouldn't work. But as a 3rd-person hero Arena shooter?

Alexious

While I was sure of the online service-based model and I'm actually okay with it, I don't believe for a moment that it will be a cover shooter only. That would be utterly ridiculous.

Some Marvel heroes could use that kind of gameplay, though, like Hawkeye I guess.

The only way I could see this being both the worst case scenario for game mechanics and that would actually turn out awesome would be if they took Tomb Raider and reskinned it to make a Black Widow game.

Forced online and GAAS can fuck right off though. GAAS exists solely to exploit an excessive amount of money out of people, and adds nothing to a product to improve it. It's the most blatant example of toxic capitalism the industry has ever come up with, taking all the evils of microtransactions, forced online, content removal to sell back to you later, having no respect for your free time and gambling mechanics, a cynical Skinner box all wrapped up in a bow and served up to an audience that's all too often grateful to be blatantly taking advantage of.

I'm also not in the least bit surprised it's CD that's apparently making these decisions, if the worst comes to pass. They've got incredibly talented developers working for them, but the people in charge have proven time and again that they'll chase any trend going if they think it'll make money, and that they have fuck all respect for any property they're given, or any desire to put what's best for their audience above their own selfishness.

Watch it become a F2P hero shooter with MOBA and Battle Royale mode. Also Star Wars guest characters.

;)
Honestly: Let's wait for the official reveal before going into negativity.

FelipeMGM

this would be one of the dumbest decisions ever

People have been waiting years for an Avengers game, and thats what they will spend dozens and dozens of millions of dollars on it? Using them as NPC's?

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
still intent on wasting this IP

fingers crossed we get that marvel moba bethesda so i can actually play as the avengers / guardians

stryke

Cover based action adventure in an Avengers game...

Someone with brain cells actually wrote that down in a job description.

Tomb Raider is a "cover shooter" even though your not attached to any cover in that game. Cover shooter can mean a lot of things.

LaNaranja

Cover based action adventure in an Avengers game...

Someone with brain cells actually wrote that down in a job description.

I mean, as has been said in this thread, that is what inFamous is. If they are using inFamous 1 and 2 as inspiration for their game then I would say that they are going to make something truly special. InFamous 2 in particular let you play however the hell you wanted, even hand to hand if that is what your heart desired.

This just reminds me of what a bummer Second Son was. :(

DMVfan123

Banned
A 3rd person Avengers/Justice League game where one player could be one Avenger and other players different ones while you kick Kree/Skrull/Chitauri ass was always something I dreamed about
Seems like it's coming true
EDIT: It would make sense that human-based characters like Hawkeye would have to get into cover to fight, while Iron Man or Vision would just fly around wrecking shit, like many others have stated in this thread

Top Bottom