• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crytek Austin (Vigil) dev & Crytek UK (Free Radical) closed, Hunt moved to Frankfurt

KKRT00

Cryptic were extremely ambitious. I wonder what their projected sales for Crysis 3 and Ryse were...

Doesnt matter really, they were not getting royalties from copies sold from those games.

----------

Pretty good decision from Crytek, but they need to still trim some fat. They probably still have at least 200 employees over their budget.

And they have no possibility to go completely under, CryEngine is still very profitable for them, especially when they started selling it to movie studios as a pre-production tool:
http://www.fxguide.com/featured/cryteks-cinebox-an-update/

Still, losing Tiago Sousa must be a big blow for CE's R&D department.

JohnGrimm

Deep Silver has it now? Heh heh heh.

tumblr_lx9ifmGWWf1r25dcg.gif

Quentyn

More from jschreier. Most of the Crytek USA staff already left over a week ago because the weren't paid.

This afternoon, Crytek announced that they had downsized their Texas-based USA studio and moved development of the free-to-play co-op shooter Hunt: Horrors of the Guilded Age to their main offices in Frankfurt, Germany.

What they didn't say is that Crytek USA's senior staff, including studio head David Adams, quit over a week ago because they weren't getting paid, according to people familiar with goings-on at the company.

As of last week, the bulk of the studio—which employed 30-35 people—was gone, and as a result of their departure, Crytek was forced to shift development of Hunt (pictured above) to their Frankfurt office

http://kotaku.com/sources-crytek-usas-leadership-quit-last-week-1613456108

colt92

Neo Member
And a few days ago they were almost diminishing the claims that their financial situation is bad. They sure as hell screwed up by switching to F2P and console exclusive games after having expanded that fast and to that extent.

sn00zer

This is fucking awful, but Im really hoping that Nordic picks up ex-Vigil guys, and this is the perfect opportunity

W.S.

I REALLY hope the ex-Vigil developers get another chance somewhere, it's frustrating to see such good talent always undermined by bad management.

Hopefully Nordic contracts the crew to do Darksiders 3.

Calmine

Good to hear that the UK guys are being hired but shame for Austin/Vigil, I was hoping to see what they were cooking up since Darksiders.

Was kind of looking forward to Hunt. It looked fun in the E3 gameplay vids.
But if development is now handled by a team who had nothing to do with the original development I don't have much faith.

Moonstone

Cervat Yerli said:
With Warface, Arena of Fate, and Hunt, we believe we have the perfect portfolio and teams to make that happen.

Really? Is there anybody at Crytek who can tell Mr. Yerli that nobody gives a shit about those IPs?

Kuni

Wow it's all happening now huh?

Gutting to hear about Crytek UK. UK Game Dev is lean enough as it is. But thankfully Deep Silver has stepped in. Major props to them investing in UK game dev and not taking it somewhere else. Actually gives hope for this game again and shows how serious Deep are about game development.

As for Crytek their mismanagement now is clearly massive. You can tell from the last few years they have been chasing the apparent "next big things" with magpie eyes when forgetting the thing that actually got them there was making actual games instead of free 2 play, game streaming and whatever else they chased. My thoughts go out to everyone affected by this and I hope they all land somewhere good sooner rather than later.

taps

Neo Member
Gosh Austin's game development scene seems really tough for new people who want to start a job in the field. Seems like you're working for not too long then your entire division is liquidated. I ask y'all, if I am a young designer is Austin a stable enough job community to uproot everything and move there over another city in the U.S.?

(Posted in the Deep Silver thread, I thought it was this one, so cross-posting)

Not sure if I'm reading this right, but this sounds...interesting.

Crytek will retain a presence in Austin, with several staff members maintaining the CRYENGINE support team to assist North American licensees. Employees who are not set to be part of that support team will be invited to apply for new positions at Crytek in Germany.

...I can apply to move to Germany to work for a company that just fired me, after not paying me for a few months? Uhh, thanks but no thanks.

(Posted in the Deep Silver thread, I thought it was this one, so cross-posting)

Not sure if I'm reading this right, but this sounds...interesting.

...I can apply to move to Germany to work for a company that just fired me, after not paying me for a few months? Uhh, thanks but no thanks.

Do (did) you work for Crytek Austin or were you being hypothetical?

oh god, hypothetical, hypothetical! I'm a nobody, I swear!

Just was laughing at the thought, reading the press release.

Haha, fair enough. It is the sort of thing that would probably seem difficult to comprehend although people need jobs so I guess its worth trying if they were prepared to move to Germany

Bundy

Banned
This disgusts me ;(

But good that some people will get new jobs asap :)

First they bought Vigil and the Homefront IP and months later they're selling it?
Doesn't sound like great management + planning.....

Free Radical and Vigil....... ;(((((((((((((((

Top Bottom