• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crytek Austin (Vigil) dev & Crytek UK (Free Radical) closed, Hunt moved to Frankfurt

Tripon

Edge wrote this in their May 2014 issue.

Our Making Of looks at the remaking of a cherished strategy game in XCOM: Enemy Unknown, and we visit Crytek UK to find out how German technology saved a UK studio on the verge of collapse. In Time Extend we rewind the clock to take a fresh look at Braid, and Johnny Vegas talks coding, coin-ops and Pokémon in My Favourite Game.

From saved to selling off the IP and closing down the studio in 4 months. Yikes.

Seems like Yerli wants to keep his vision of Crytek as a Digital Publisher and F2P games. Man I hope the guys in Austin get a good job and Deep Silver hires most of the UK guys.

Silky

Banned
What's so funny, i would love to play another 4 player splitscreen game on my tv. Something neither Sony or MS are pursuiting....

Halo: TMCC has split-screen.

I'd rather have a proper Timesplitters game instead of something different. But again--that's another topic for another day.

Considering Crytek practically dismantled Free Radical Design....your post seems funny...

Note: Deep Silver is hiring the vast majority of staff from Crytek UK

?

I knew it...I knew that Crytek selling Homefront was a sign that Crytek UK dissolved.

My condolences to all of those who lost their jobs and weren't able to reapply at Deep Silver. I hope everyone lands on their feet.

But I'm glad that Deep Silver is taking over the reigns for the good majority of the former Crytek UK studio. They really needed more competent management.

Ridley327

Jesus, Vigil has the worst goddamned luck. There are certainly no shortage of studios in the Austin area that would be hiring, but still.

Bricky

Well, there it is. Not like anyone didn't see it coming at this point.

You have to wonder how Crytek got this big anyway. They had one AAA franchise and its good looking engine, which were both doing okay, and all of a sudden they turned into some kind of mini-Ubisoft with eight studios under its belt. Unless Cryengine became the new Unreal Engine and Crysis turned into Halo in terms of succes they were never gonna last this way. One new IP and a bunch of F2P titles aren't enough (unless you're Valve).

Silky

Banned
Yes, but they are currently heavily banking on Dead Island. If Dead Island starts to flounder, they might be in a similar situation as Crytek.

Sacred, Saints Row, Metro, and now this? Along with publishing a lot of other shit. Deep Silver is doing quite well.

The problem is it's Halo, which is nothing like timesplitters/PerfectDark/Goldeneye....

You said MS/Sony isn't pursuing split-screen games anymore. Which isn't true. I listed an example, no matter how different the game is from TS. Stop backpedaling.

Deep Silver Dambuster, Formerly Crytek UK, Formerly Free Radical. why /wouldn't/ you or anyone in the thread want the original devs work on an IP that they created in the first place?

They aren't pursuing local multiplayer....that's for sure....

and yet one of MS's biggest games on Xbox One right now is a local mp focused game

Please let me know when you're done.

Sacred, Saints Row, Metro, and now this? Along with publishing a lot of other shit. Deep Silver is doing quite well.

You said MS/Sony isn't pursuing split-screen games anymore. Which isn't true. I listed an example, no matter how different the game is from TS. Stop backpedaling.

They aren't pursuing local multiplayer....that's for sure....

I feel really bad for everyone at Vigil. They've gotten fucked over repeatedly due to poor management at the parent company. Hope they all land on their feet.

The writing has been on the wall for Crytek for some time. They've released nothing but mediocre to bad games in the last few years, their engine has no traction externally, and management has been playing a game where they've tried to best each boneheaded decision with an even more shortsighted one. They probably should have given MS the Ryse IP, especially since they'll probably get it for pennies now (I'm still not convinced it's worth much more anyway).

GoaThief

It's pretty well understood that Deep Silver at one point was a very low budget and often shovelware publisher.

However, they have been significantly revamping themselves over the years and this is part of that effort.
Indeed.

They know what they're about, it doesn't have to be top quality but if the books balance they'll go for it. I do not think Deep Silver will be going under any time soon at all, they're building nicely. If DS were not savvy they wouldn't be in this position right now.

Kurdel

Banned
We knew things were going bad in the UK, but I didn't read anything about Austin, how horrible.

Cryptic were extremely ambitious. I wonder what their projected sales for Crysis 3 and Ryse were...

Tripon

Your point?

Nintendo never published a shit game per chance?

Oh boy, one blemish. rad

453px-No_fun_allowed.jpg

It's pretty well understood that Deep Silver at one point was a very low budget and often shovelware publisher.

However, they have been significantly revamping themselves over the years and this is part of that effort.

Yeah, I agree with that. And I think that DS did the right thing with Ride to Hell. It was always going to be a stinker, I'm just amused that the same company that produced Ride to Hell has grown into what is one of the more respectable mid-sized publishers we have today.

Porcile

R.I.P Free Radical. Timesplitters on Gamecube wast the bomb. Closest a game came to re-capturing everything so good about Goldeneye.

Yeah, I agree with that. And I think that DS did the right thing with Ride to Hell. It was always going to be a stinker, I'm just amused that the same company that produced Ride to Hell has grown into what is one of the more respectable mid-sized publishers we have today.
Well to be fair Ride to Hell is in a league of it's own.
This makes no sense. Do you know who own's the Darksiders IP?
Nintendo should buy whoever owns the IP too!

Top Bottom