• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crytek Engineer praising PS5 and Chris "Series X PS5 difference is staggering" Grannell may be both complete utter frauds

Nickolaidas

Banned
Credit to OpticalPrime35 for writing this on reddit.

"A little while ago there was an article in an overseas site that had an interview with a Crytek Engineer. That part is real of course, the guy actually does work at Crytek. But it was found out that the guy did not have direct access to either devkit and was a mobile developer at the time.

So in an effort for fairness, this needs to be known about Chris Grannell.

Chris Grannell is the source you keep hearing about on social media sites, supposed game news sites, and of course YouTube sites ( the bastion of fake insiders currently ). He is the one who says the " difference between the PS5 and Series X is staggering ". And makes claims that the PS5 would have difficulty rendering open world games and such and such.

What's the problem you ask? Remember what I said about the above Crytek developer? The same thing is happening here with this former Sony developer. He has no devkit. He does not work for any game company even. He hasn't been In the game industry for 10+ years. Yet here he is creating headlines talking about the technical aspects of both systems.

Beyond just that information. Chris Grannell is a fraud. His PUBLIC LinkedIn is a lie. Within the LinkedIn he claims to actually be a game designer for Killzone 2. This is a staggering claim and absolutely false. He is not credited at all during the creative portion of the Killzone 2 credits. The only time his name is seen is when the list of employees at other studios is shown. In his case his name pops up during the SCEE Liverpool section. He did not have anything to do with the creation of Killzone.

He also mentions he is the game designer of Wipeout. This is another lie. His name can be found nowhere in regards to the Wipeout titles. ( Edit. After further research I cannot find his name mentioned anywhere in regards to Wipeout HD. What I found was actually his own words stating he worked on Wipeout HD in a forum esque looking post. Researched further and for alot longer and his name never comes up with Wipeout credits anywhere at anytime )

His only legitimate claim to anything in regards to game design for Sony is the Formula One series on PS3. From 2001-2007 ( edited ) He is credited as " lead design ". Not lead game design, just lead design. Lead Game Design is credited for someone else. ( Edit someone found more info, he is credited as game design in the formula one series, Lead once )

So we have a guy running around social media claiming 14+ years experience as a game developer for Sony and claiming game design ( even saying Lead game design ) for Killzone 2 and Wipeout and such like that when in reality he worked on a few formula one games as game design for 6 years.

That is what you call a fraud.

If Ali Salehi should have all his statements retracted because he didn't have a devkit. So should this guy.

Will it happen? Lol. Probably not. Not with this current media cycle. Just look at the headlines created by this guy.

I'm seeing articles even claiming he worked on Horizon Zero Dawn lol. That he was a lead game designer at Guerilla Games ( he never worked for Guerilla Games ever ), etc etc. It's staggering.

So as I said. Simply for fairness sake. Let's let the truth be known about this so called insider. If he will lie in a public record, what truth can he possibly claim to actually knowing people with PS5/Series X hardware ? None. His credibility is gone.

It's unfortunate the hype surrounding the next generation allows such people as the above to flood media sites with false information but here we are. People like to use times like these to bolster their image or whatever. This is when you see all those fake insiders appear out of the woodworks with " secret information ". Just follow my channel and click that subscribe button for more!"

I know there have been other talks about Chris in the forums, but this particular one makes valid points on him not only being a dev anymore, but actually diminishing his supposed contribution to the Wipeout/Killzone IPs. Guy's not half the legit source he portrays himself to be.

D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
People that actually know, don't share information except for the "it's amazingly fast/powerful" stuff, which is pure PR, and that's ok.

We shouldn't give attention to people that think they know the system, but haven't worked with it. Just wait for the games

Last edited by a moderator:

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
I could validate the crytek engineer more then the other fool. If he didnt have a ps5 devkit. Other crytek developers mught have a ps5 devkit

If you go down that rabbit hole Grannell sure can have contacts that have devkits. How about we settle for they are both full of shit and just repeating nonsense they heard on the internet and pretend they know stuff?

thelastword

Banned
For emphasis

The only time his name is seen is when the list of employees at other studios is shown. In his case his name pops up during the SCEE Liverpool section. He did not have anything to do with the creation of Killzone.

He also mentions he is the game designer of Wipeout. This is another lie. His name can be found nowhere in regards to the Wipeout titles. ( Edit. After further research I cannot find his name mentioned anywhere in regards to Wipeout HD. What I found was actually his own words stating he worked on Wipeout HD in a forum esque looking post. Researched further and for alot longer and his name never comes up with Wipeout credits anywhere at anytime )

It should have been clear that Chris Grannell was FOS from the get-go.......Anybody who uses the word staggering to spell out the next gen GPU differences is straight up lieing......If next gen is staggering, 2013 should have been intergalactic light speed years of a difference then.......Pretty much every time I've seen it, such forced and fake hype always falls dead flat on it's back....

Dory16

Banned
Anybody who uses the word staggering to spell out the next gen GPU differences is straight up lieing......If next gen is staggering, 2013 should have been intergalactic light speed years of a difference then......
And that’s because 4 GCN CUs are lightspeed years ahead of 16 RDNA2 CUs?
I don’t know how people do their maths.
Not saying that either one of those guys are right. I think both manufacturers should hurry and reveal some games. By this time in 2013 we had seen a lot of Sony games running and nobody could use the word staggering without looking like a fool.

PocoJoe

Banned
Only fanboys want to believe this "console X is so shitty that it cant do even y"

Like how low IQ you must have if you think that if even ps2 had open world games, PS5 could not have them because of some random attention seeker saays so? Pretty low I guess.

If somebody said that "xsex cant have modern games because it is shitty! believe me I made Halo!" whom would believe that, really?

It just seems to be that if someting made up and negative is said about Sony = certain group takes it as truth because of their agenda.

And that’s because 4 GCN CUs are lightspeed years ahead of 16 RDNA2 CUs?
I don’t know how people do their maths.
Not saying that either one of those guys are right. I think both manufacturers should hurry and reveal some games. By this time in 2013 we had seen a lot of Sony games running and nobody could use the word staggering without looking like a fool.

Maths by using relativity?

16 > 4 is true, yes. but real point should be that on "small numbers" small differences are bigger than on big numbers.

Kind of simple. if you have 1 Tflop vs 2 Tflops of course it is much more remarkable difference than lets say 20 vs 21

How this simple thing is so difficult to understand?

On tech when things get faster it doesnt add directly to the output.

Like look some 90's computers and what they did with 16 megs of RAM vs what modern PC does with 16 Gigs. Huge difference yet things havent changed that much, they are just prettier.

Same with consoles, the faster they get, less it matters as we are already well past the point of "enough to do highly realistic games" and arent struggling with it like Switch still is

Last edited:

TBiddy

Only fanboys want to believe this "console X is so shitty that it cant do even y"

Like how low IQ you must have if you think that if even ps2 had open world games, PS5 could not have them because of some random attention seeker saays so? Pretty low I guess.

If somebody said that "xsex cant have modern games because it is shitty! believe me I made Halo!" whom would believe that, really?

It just seems to be that if someting made up and negative is said about Sony = certain group takes it as truth because of their agenda.

Of course he didn't say "PS5 can't do open world". No need to twist anything to further your own agenda.

thelastword

Banned
BTW, this is what OpticalPrime said later....I don't think anyone can call Salehi a fraud...….

I kind of feel bad using the term Fraud in regards to him. That was just the term that was currently in my head at the time of writing lol.

Because in reality your right. He was asked at the beginning of the interview what his job was. He stated he was a rendering engineer. That is what he is. He was never asked by the interviewer " do you personally have a devkit for these systems ? " And was never asked if he was creating a game currently with the systems. Just questions about the specific technical details that had started to become topics of discussion. So he gave his opinion on the matter based off what he knew from the known technical information.

Also, Salehi worked on Hunt for current gen consoles, so he is not simply a mobile developer...….His name is in the credits as opposed to many claims from Grannell which did not pan out......There's just one man standing from the rubble now and it's Salehi....

TBiddy

This issue is any comment game developers make console warriors run with it and spin it to fit their narrative.

Also, I don't know if I should be impressed or genuinely scared by the lenghts some of these extreme fanboys will go to invalidate anyone who might have a differing opinion. I'm sure the OP (on Reddit) spent countless hours stalking this Grannell guy just to get some internet points on reddits.

Dory16

Banned

Maths by using relativity?

16 > 4 is true, yes. but real point should be that on "small numbers" small differences are bigger than on big numbers.

Kind of simple. if you have 1 Tflop vs 2 Tflops of course it is much more remarkable difference than lets say 20 vs 21

How this simple thing is so difficult to understand?

On tech when things get faster it doesnt add directly to the output.

Like look some 90's computers and what they did with 16 megs of RAM vs what modern PC does with 16 Gigs. Huge difference yet things havent changed that much, they are just prettier.

Same with consoles, the faster they get, less it matters as we are already well past the point of "enough to do highly realistic games" and arent struggling with it like Switch still is
This is an assessment metric that allows you to make the difference whatever you want it to be. You’re not completely wrong. Neither is someone who looks at 16 RDNA2 CUs and knowing that each of them has 60% more efficiency than the previous generation CUs, uses the term staggering.
The definitive judge will be the eye test and digital Foundry. Im happy if we ALL refrain from difference explanations until then.

TBiddy

The fact the Crytec comments were expunged indicates an air of legitimacy, otherwise why kill the story?

The other guy is just an obvious fraud the fantastical nonsense he spins.

I think that Salehi was probably attacked and stalked as much as Grannell is. It's insane the amount of work being put into digging into these peoples lives just to find some dirt on them. It appears the OP on Reddit even watched the entire Killzone 2 credits just to see if he could spot a name.

If I was Salehi or Grannell, I'd delete my comments as well and wait for the insane people on the internet to move on to their next target.

McRazzle

Credit to OpticalPrime35 for writing this on reddit.

I know there have been other talks about Chris in the forums, but this particular one makes valid points on him not only being a dev anymore, but actually diminishing his supposed contribution to the Wipeout/Killzone IPs. Guy's not half the legit source he portrays himself to be.
He didn't portray himself as anything,
He was responding to the avalanche of obviously paid developers that were insinuating that PS5 was more powerful than XSX.
He simply stated on Twitter that developers he knew had told him otherwise.

He's been harassed and threatened ever since.
Now people are playing detective, and poking around in his real life.

I love it!
I was always suspicious that nothing had changed among gamers since the early 00's; it makes me feel comfy somehow.

joe_zazen

I think that Salehi was probably attacked and stalked as much as Grannell is. It's insane the amount of work being put into digging into these peoples lives just to find some dirt on them. It appears the OP on Reddit even watched the entire Killzone 2 credits just to see if he could spot a name.

If I was Salehi or Grannell, I'd delete my comments as well and wait for the insane people on the internet to move on to their next target.

Insane, yeah, lol. psychopathology of sociopaths:

• Cannot form normal relationships
  • lack empathy and understanding of other humans
  • can form obsessive attachments to ideas and/or things (e.g. plastic toys and megacorps)
  • generally under or unemployed (have lots of time)
  • make up 3-5% of population (lots of them out there)
  • emotionally unstable
  • there is no ‘cure’, only pallative tx
There are other traits, but those are why you see scary insanity in gaming. Btw, they are different than psychopaths (1% of pop) generally those people are very successful and very smart, so yeah, executives of companies etc.

edit: and you see them everywhere the public is allowed on the internet. That is why, whenever you put yourself out there, you are putting yourself at rick. Because if you become a target...woof. Just ask people like EviLore EviLore how cracra people can be when they know your name.

once you understand this, stuff becomes a lot more understandable.

Last edited:
Crytek dev/engineer is not mobile dev at the time as the reddit says. His last game with his name in credits released few months back :

4uqnaI4.jpg

Last edited:

Dory16

Banned
The fact the Crytec comments were expunged indicates an air of legitimacy, otherwise why kill the story?

The other guy is just an obvious fraud the fantastical nonsense he spins.
Let me get this right. The credible comments are the one said in Turkish and retracted just after whereas the ones repeatedly maintained on several venues including some where contradiction was possible are not. Not sure. They're equally dodgy to me because of the lack of evidence.

Last edited:

Nickolaidas

Banned
I think that Salehi was probably attacked and stalked as much as Grannell is. It's insane the amount of work being put into digging into these peoples lives just to find some dirt on them.

I don't think it's 'dirt', more like 'let's see who da fook is that guy and he if knows what the hey he's talking about'. I mean, if some dev came out and said the PS5 is four times stronger than the Series X (before the specs were released), I'd like to know who that guy is - in terms of whether he knows what he's talking about.

But yeah, bullying and harassment is NOT ok, not in the slightest.

Last edited:

thelastword

Banned
Nice. A thread with the only intention to shit on a guy - and all of this based on a random reddit post.
Well done, NeoGAF. Keep fighting the good fight.
No, somebody just did a background check, you would think people would not lie these days, especially on the internet when things can be checked so quickly....It will come to bite you hard, why do it? So that Grannell guy has proven himself to be a fraud and FUDster, he was probably on that famous XBOX discord too when they did their plan of action to defeat the evil Sony Forces worldwide and resume peace and a sense of Utopia in the land....

Funny enough, I remember there was an entire thread on GAF a few days back about Grannell on a Dealer Gaming podcast.....Dealer gaming fcol, and I'm not sure that thread was ever locked and shut down from the pure FUD that poured from the cup......

Like anything else, you talk a fake hype online, it will hurt you tenfold when your lies are discovered......Just like that Dynamic Voltage Guy talking a storm about how the SSD will bottleneck the CPU and he would show us, still crickets on that btw......Yet his big reveal is some Ecco the Dolphin clone with sound bites from the MS-DOS days in the 90's.....If anything, these guys are doing more damage to MS than anything, because when the series X does not deliver the staggering performance or any game that looks better than SWWS, there will be a lot of spinning in the vein of "Multiplat devs are lazy, they are not using the full series of the X, Those Japanese devs again, Sony games only look this good because of all the money they spend on them, yet they will conveniently use 1 trillion dollars MS vs 68 Billion for Sony, when it suits them......

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster

Not necessary, you can simply look up Grannell's credits on mobygames. Essentially its equivalent to searching imdb, a database collating public information and thus nothing too intrusive.

I covered the Killzone2 thing myself a couple of days ago, and the fact of the matter is it looks dubious. Especially as the guy has absolutely zero experience elsewhere of working on a FPS project before or after, and the fact that the game in question was developed not only at a different studio, but in a different country to where he was employed.

I'm not disputing that Grannell had a job description of designer at SCEE Liverpool, furthermore I'm willing to accept that he he had some input on Killzone2, most likely in some sort of consultation/feedback capacity basically as an adjunct to FPQA effort*. Wavertree after all was/is Sony's main QA hub, and Killzone2 includes credits for staff at both Sony's Liverpool and Cambridge studios in addition to the primary Guerrilla team.

What I'm doubtful about is that he had sufficient impact on Killzone 2 to justify crediting himself on his Twiitter profile as a designer of Killzone 2. My suspicions would be that its an exaggeration intemded to create a better impression, something that happens quite often in the business and a thing that I personally abhor.

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
What I'm doubtful about is that he had sufficient impact on Killzone 2 to justify crediting himself on his Twiitter profile as a designer of Killzone 2. My suspicions would be that its an exaggeration intemded to create a better impression, something that happens quite often in the business and a thing that I personally abhor.

Like everybody does. If he was a designer at Liverpool at the time and is named in the credits of Killzone 2 - that's exactly what he was, a designer working on Killzone 2.

Dory16

Banned
Not necessary, you can simply look up Grannell's credits on mobygames. Essentially its equivalent to searching imdb, a database collating public information and thus nothing too intrusive.

I covered the Killzone2 thing myself a couple of days ago, and the fact of the matter is it looks dubious. Especially as the guy has absolutely zero experience elsewhere of working on a FPS project before or after, and the fact that the game in question was developed not only at a different studio, but in a different country to where he was employed.

I'm not disputing that Grannell had a job description of designer at SCEE Liverpool, furthermore I'm willing to accept that he he had some input on Killzone2, most likely in some sort of consultation/feedback capacity basically as an adjunct to FPQA effort*. Wavertree after all was/is Sony's main QA hub, and Killzone2 includes credits for staff at both Sony's Liverpool and Cambridge studios in addition to the primary Guerrilla team.

I fail to see how the exact impact of his work on killzone 2 enlightens us on whether the difference between 2 consoles is staggering or not. If anything he could be suspected of bias towards Sony based on his (however doubtful) work history. He said what his technical eyes tells him looking at the spec sheets and hearing what he's been hearing. You can dismiss the claims without demeaning the man if that's what you want to do.

TBiddy

"Simply looking up information" is what every stalker has been using as an excuse.

When you start digging into peoples past like that, you're going down a road to some scary shit.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Like everybody does. If he was a designer at Liverpool at the time and is named in the credits of Killzone 2 - that's exactly what he was, a designer working on Killzone 2.

That's bullshit. People deserve credit for their contributions, not for having the luck of being around for some of the time. Above all else its disrespectful to the people who actually put months if not years of focussed full-time effort on the project.

As for his claim of working on "new and exciting concepts", yeah riiiiiight, sure is a lot of new IP on that list of credits and in fact Liverpool's utter inability to get a project greenlit throughout that period was one of the reasons the place got shitcanned. Its not my place to talk but the stories I heard about the state of the place and failures like Combat Games (think that was the name of one particular multi-year shit show project) made it sound to me like the design team was utterly clueless.

Nickolaidas

Banned
If you make claims for yourself or your career achievements in a public forum. you invite public scrutiny.

End of story.
This. It's not like people started masturbating to his facebook pictures or phoned him to tell him they know where his kid goes to school or something.

Suddenly someone who questions the validity of his claims is a 'stalker' and a 'sociopath' now? Christ.

Last edited:

Jon Neu

Banned
That's bullshit. People deserve credit for their contributions, not for having the luck of being around for some of the time.

So you are the judge of who deserves credit and who doesn't in a game developing.

A very “unbiased” judge.

Funny how the goalposts are being moved, First, the dude never worked on Killzone 2, now, he worked, but he did nothing and was just credited by mere luck.

And all of this just because he dares to voice the wrong kind of opinion.

Are you on a Sony discord by some chance?

This one response would invalidate his opinion on ps5 and xsx

KEcqkt8.jpg

That's why he said he talked to people who have access to the devkits and they told him the difference was staggering. He didn't said he had access himself.

thelastword

Banned
The crazy thing about that, nothing is detailed, you don't know what exactly he did on Formula 1, Wipeout or Killzone…….Since he worked at Liverpool, his Killzone input could have been as minimal as "is the chirp sound awesome, do you think it will resonate with the UK crowd?" there, consultant/designer on Killzone 2….

Knowing how some of these things go on the internet, people have been noted as devs, who are pr guys, testers or those who had very little to do in the game design and development of the game...…….It seems to me Grannell worked predominantly on Formula 1 and could not sustain/transition himself too far into the PS3 era......So from what I've seen, he mostly worked with the (design team or additional design) for Formula 1...… Even on Formula 1......he never really had a top tier position, farless on Wipeout or Killzone…..where his roles on said titles are proving to be even more dubious...

Goliathy

Banned
So you are the judge of who deserves credit and who doesn't in a game developing.

A very “unbiased” judge.

Funny how the goalposts are being moved, First, the dude never worked on Killzone 2, now, he worked, but he did nothing and was just credited by mere luck.

That's why he said he talked to people who have access to the devkits and they told him the difference was staggering. He didn't said he had access himself.

yup, that's why I don't get why it matters what he actually did there.

HE WORKED there, so he KNOWS a lot of people in the industry. He is able to ask those people, who have access to devkits. That's the only thing that is important.

Anyway, doesn't really matter what all those people we, we need to see the GAMES and then DF will tell us whats better and what not.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
But he says things like
- The PS5 will struggle with open world games
- Can't do Real-Time RT
- Difference between both consoles are staggering.

“There’s only one next-gen console that will be able to do real time ray tracing," said Grannell. "That’s a bit of a controversial statemet, but Cerny skipped over it and didn’t talk about it. It comes down to CUs, consistency, what’s on the hardware.”

Doesn't surprise me that he hands out with Xbox fanboys and is willing to go on their podcast to spread this crap.

xHunter

yup, that's why I don't get why it matters what he actually did there.

HE WORKED there, so he KNOWS a lot of people in the industry. He is able to ask those people, who have access to devkits. That's the only thing that is important.

Anyway, doesn't really matter what all those people we, we need to see the GAMES and then DF will tell us whats better and what not.

I mean the same could be said about the crytek guy since he literally works there and would know people that could have access to nextgen devkits. But people would rather do a background check and find 2 tweets where he posted a picture of the ps4 version of the game he worked on just to discredit him.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster

A very “unbiased” judge.

Go back and read every post I've made on the subject, my position hasn't shifted one iota and I've taken care with how I've commented to STRESS THAT THIS IS ENTIRELY ABOUT CREDIBILITY.

He's using his past experience to bolster his credibility, and all I've done is look at that experience -a topic I know a lot about as I'm an industry veteran who knows plenty of people who worked on those projects, and at SCEE Liverpool around then- and comment upon its relevance as I see it.

Personally I don't like people who bullshit to pad their resumes, I've had fuckers co-opt MY work in the past and that's not something I take lying down. Not that I'm accusing Grannell of that. To be 100% clear I am not saying that.

What I am saying is that I'm sensitive to that sort of thing, and just the faintest suspicion that he might be exaggerating his contribition (which I feel is far from unreasonable as he wasn't working at the studio developing KZ2) hurts his credibility in my eyes because it makes me question what else is being exaggerated and misrepresented.

That's fucking fair in my book.

Top Bottom