• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crytek implies Monster Hunter Online might be headed to the West

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
At least that's what I am assuming "internationally" and "worldwide" are implying.

This is also probably good news for entries in the series in general getting released worldwide.

Press Release said:
CryEngine 3 set to Bring Monster Hunter Online and Legend of Yulong to Life

Crytek’s groundbreaking CryEngine technology is being used to create Monster Hunter Online, a major new collaboration between Tencent Games and Capcom that will see the popular Monster Hunter series released internationally on Windows platforms for the first time.

As a PC-exclusive installment in the hit Monster Hunter franchise, Monster Hunter Online will give millions of new players the chance to experience the Japanese phenomenon. The MMORPG will contain Monster Hunter’s trademark blend of vast environments, awe-inspiring fantasy creatures and in-depth customization options.

“The Monster Hunter games are known for immersing players in breathtaking worlds where great gameplay and spectacular sights go hand in hand,” said Areil Cai, Director of Business Development. “CryEngine 3 is the perfect fit for the series, and will ensure Tencent Games and Capcom are well equipped to make Monster Hunter Online the groundbreaking MMORPG experience fans worldwide are eagerly anticipating

As well as being used in the creation of Monster Hunter Online, Tencent Games announced this week that Crytek’s CryEngine 3 would also be utilized for the development of Legend of Yulong Platinum Edition – a new version of a popular Chinese MMORPG that will offer players an enhanced, more realistic visual experience. With long-standing experience of the global engine business and an enthusiastic gaming community of millions to serve, Tencent’s continued reliance on CryEngine for high profile new projects is testament to the growing reputation of Crytek’s proprietary development software.

With over 20 million sales to date, Capcom’s Monster Hunter series enjoys huge popularity in Japan and boasts a growing army of followers around the globe. Monster Hunter Online will be developed for the international market by Tencent Games and Capcom, and marks an exciting new era for a series that has enjoyed critical praise to match its popularity with players.

wrowa

Well, why wouldn't it? It's quite obvious that Capcom isn't interested in bringing MH Frontier to the West, so it's not like there's a conflict of interest to allow Tencent to release their licensed product in the EU and US.

The question is if Japan will be getting the game too or if it'll be left behind empty handed.

Pooya

I don't see any implications there, they are saying it very directly and multiple times in that pr :p

I imagine it must be clarified to Crytek in their licensing agreement that how widely a product is going to be distributed? makes sense if they know imo.

MightyKAC

Everything about this sounds promising to me except for the implications of how a MMO Monster Hunter might work.

Edit: oh F2P? Well that might not be so bad.

Sandfox

I'm just going to assume its Asia only until told otherwise. It would be interesting if Capcom tried to make a big MMO with the west in mind though(As much as I like MH I doubt it would end well).

If they decide to release it in the west they will probably have to stop it with their monthly fees but they will probably use microtransactions or something.

Wasn't this a F2P game? At least, that's what I thought.

Frontier and the Japanese version of Tri weren't F2P.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I'm just going to assume its Asia only until told otherwise. It would be interesting if Capcom tried to make a big MMO with the west in mind though(As much as I like MH I doubt it would end well).

If they decide to release it in the west they will probably have to stop it with their monthly fees but they will probably use microtransactions or something.

To my knowledge this is already an f2p game.

Edit:

Yes: http://www.polygon.com/2013/4/18/4238172/monster-hunter-online-free-to-play-mmo-tencent-capcom

Dinda

Tencent will also use Cry Engine 3 for another new Game? What's up with that? Seems really strange for them to not use the Unreal Engine.

Ridley327

Have they announced what version of MH MHO is based upon?
What weapons, monsters, and areas?
It seems like it's all new areas, but outside of the beaver monster, the other monsters are from gen 1. I'm guessing that it will be largely going for a unique mix like MHF has gone and done (especially with vehicles in the mix), but I'm suspecting that it will be based in gen 2.

Eh, it probably doesn't matter. I was getting excited about Double Fine doing a Monster Hunter clone, and they haven't put out a single mechanically sound game so far. I'll play and enjoy this. All I want is online play without hassle. The game is too niche to convince everybody you know to buy it.

WHAT?

Details please.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Not if it sucks. Capcom isn't developing so it could be a disaster for the series chance to break out in the West.

A Monster Hunter with actually competent graphics in the year of its release, on a userbase of zillions, developed as close to the original's mechanics as possible and free to play is a pretty god step compared to funding terrible western studios to fuck up their already successful properties even further.

Clearly Monster Hunter just isn't finding the console or dedicated handheld audience Capcom would want of it in the west, so trying PC for once is a pretty good idea. Must feel pretty weird to be on the dev-team of MonHun 4 though seeing their property with actual HD-gen graphics for once, all while they're putting out the ugliest (yet mechanically excellent) MonHun in quite a while. Also seeing Ono in China presenting it as a big thing.

Wanny

Am I the only one not worried that Capcom won't completely handle this one? It's not like they are gods anyway... Capcom didn't do much to please me so far on PC platform.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Am I the only one not worried that Capcom won't completely handle this one? It's not like they are gods anyway... Capcom didn't do much to please me so far on PC platform.
What does the platform have to do with it all? It's about making sure the game is as good as the series it's now part of. If the series wasn't good people wouldn't care about this either. As it's good, then why not want the original developers to handle it? Also, maybe Capcom didn't previously port some of their best console games you might have wanted (or whatever makes you unhappy with them) but their modern ports have all been great. Starting with titles like Devil May Cry 4, Resident Evil 5 and Lost Planet 2, and ending I guess with Resident Evil 6 (as a port not as a game, it doesn't change between platforms) what issues did you have with their PC efforts? I don't see anything that indicates they couldn't handle a PC game like this. This doesn't even look as good as their own older multiplatform games held back as they were by those console systems or whatever.

LostAnkh

Make that push, Capcom, it would have a nice home on Steam and a community will surely build to give it some life. I don't plan on getting a Wii U, so here's hoping this happens.

Codeblue

A Monster Hunter with actually competent graphics in the year of its release, on a userbase of zillions, developed as close to the original's mechanics as possible and free to play is a pretty god step compared to funding terrible western studios to fuck up their already successful properties even further.

This is what I'm worried about except it's a Chinese dev instead of a Western studio. No one will be happier if this is great and gives the series the break it deserves here, but I can't say I trust Tencent to deliver that product.

I dunno, I think this has potential to do well in China, and seems like a good idea, but I think they shouldn't plan on releasing it west for a couple of years unless they really think they can build a large, distinct and new audience for the game. We're already facing potential series fatigue with the announcement of 4,and I think it won't come out here for a long time as a result.

I'm assuming their "international" means "not in Japan", or maybe Korea...

I dunno, I think this has potential to do well in China, and seems like a good idea, but I think they shouldn't plan on releasing it west for a couple of years unless they really think they can build a large, distinct and new audience for the game. We're already facing potential series fatigue with the announcement of 4,and I think it won't come out here for a long time as a result.

Geez, I wonder why.

Kade

This is what I'm worried about except it's a Chinese dev instead of a Western studio. No one will be happier if this is great and gives the series the break it deserves here, but I can't say I trust Tencent to deliver that product.

Have they talked about how development has been split between the two? Hopefully Capcom is taking on the bulk of development while Tencent handles publishing and servers. They seem to be using animations from the other Monster Hunter games in the trailer so hopefully that means that Capcom is at the helm here.

Have they talked about how development has been split between the two? Hopefully Capcom is taking on the bulk of development while Tencent handles publishing and servers. They seem to be using animations from the other Monster Hunter games in the trailer so hopefully that means that Capcom is at the helm here.

I'm kinda assuming that the development is being handled by the chinese studios. Capcom has their own PC dev tools so I don't think they would need Cryengine 3 at all. Unless someone can confirm that Capcom's PS4 output is using Cryengine 3 as well?

Raide

If MMO MH does indeed come stateside I hope it gets a console release. Lack of a MH on PS3/360 is a crying shame

It's hilarious that the boss has that jerky stop-motion animation while the characters are smooth. With more time and effort, Brazen could be amazen (womp womp).

They said they wanted a Ray Harryhausen stop-motion style for the monsters. :D

Ridley327

I'm kinda assuming that the development is being handled by the chinese studios. Capcom has their own PC dev tools so I don't think they would need Cryengine 3 at all. Unless someone can confirm that Capcom's PS4 output is using Cryengine 3 as well?

No, it's their own internal engine (named Panta Rhei).

I'm fairly sure that Capcom's involvement has been licensing the IP out to Tencent, as well as lending out whatever assets they need.

Hellraider

Monster Hunter fatigue in the West?What the fuck am I reading?Not even to mention how a potential online western release doesn't really affect the mainline series.

Instead of releasing frontier in the west they are creating a new one with the international fanbase in mind.The can co-exist just fine.

Mileena

Banned
I'll be there day one. I'm not expecting something as good as MH3U but I'm sure it'll be worth playing with some friends and the visuals upgrade is super appealing.

Tencent's doing all the development. It started development before they had Capcom approval. Capcom accepted their pitch, and here we are.

Edit: also, crytek would be announcing Capcom as a licensee if they were doing any development.

Top Bottom