• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crytek: Next consoles need to have 4x NV590 + 8GB of RAM for a Far Cry -> Crysis leap

Azure J

IcyBlueStrawberry said:
Am I crazy, or was a thread almost exactly like this posted over a month ago?

I seriously feel like the same thing down to even the content of the OP was posted some time earlier this year. I was expecting an update but eh. :p

Orayn

mrklaw said:
the ones before that only had 32MB. And before that only 2MB. So a 16x jump followed by another 16x jump. on that basis the next gen would have 8GB.
It's not a hard and fast rule - The Xbox had 64MB, the Gamecube 43, and the PS2 32MB. A lot of it depends on what type of RAM, how it interacts with the rest of the components, etc.

PROTIP: I takes a single GTX 590 to run Crysis @1200p, 60+ fps, everything on Max.

yhjiU.jpg

Something like a 9800GT which is comparable to the fastest single graphics card when Crysis was released in 2007, is not up to the task:

o4f3o.jpg

Is a GTX 590 4x faster than a 9800GT? Probably. This is the kind of leap they're looking for.

mrklaw said:
the ones before that only had 32MB. And before that only 2MB. So a 16x jump followed by another 16x jump. on that basis the next gen would have 8GB.

And then you take in to account that those generations where shorter than this one. And that next generation is probably going to be even longer than this one.

so yea.

Proelite

confused said:
No fucking way. A single 590 already causes heat issues, no way we are getting something that powerful in a small box underneath the television set at an affordable price soon.

At 22nm the next GPU should have 17 times the amount of transistors of the Xenos.

~ 6 billion transistors. Which is what the NV590 will have.

6 billion transistor in 2013 in a console with EDRAM will probably FAR more efficient than the NV590.

The only thing that can change this is if MS somehow wants to shrink the die space for the x720's GPU, otherwise I don't see how they could end up with anything less powerful than a NV590 in the x720.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Lol are they forgetting about the price? Old news btw. I'm pretty sure I read this somewhere on GAF, regarding 8gb RAM and stuff.

confused

Banned
Proelite said:
At 22nm the next GPU should have 17 times the amount of transistors of the Xenos.

~ 6 billion transistors. Which is what the NV590 will have.

6 billion transistor in 2013 in a console with EDRAM will probably FAR more efficient than the NV590.

You said double 590's

KKRT00

IcyBlueStrawberry said:
Am I crazy, or was a thread almost exactly like this posted over a month ago?
Exactly and people said same stupid things back then.

And lol at guy who thinks that Crysis 2 looks terrible, when it's the best looking game on the market right now.
From tech standpoint CE 3 is the most feature rich and best optimized engine ever and slide from OP is just wishes of Crytek tech team, not claim of tech in PS4/X720.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Angry Fork said:
Next consoles will have 8gb. 4gb is already becoming meh with gaming PC's.
In 2005-6, 512MB was barely adequate to run an XP SP2 installation. Gaming PC had 2GB+ of RAM.

rvy

Banned
Plinko said:
I wouldn't be shocked at all to see Sony go this route for the next go-round of consoles.
To make up for their previously batshit, insane bullshit regarding specs? Maybe they'll truly deliver for once? I'm cool with that.

mgslol.gif

Hyuga

Banned
DieH@rd said:
Not this again.

THEY ARE NOT USING SLOW PC RAM FOR CONSOLES. Console makers are paying ~40$ for a 512mb of high quality XDR/gddr ram. 8gb is way to much for upcoming console generation. 4gb is the max that we will get, and that is fine.

Reuenthal

Banned
Orayn said:
I, for one, welcome our $900 1000-watt space heater overlords.
I doubt it would be that cheap. Now in five years maybe they can make it at such price or cheaper.

Anyway Crytek sounds like

medical-lunatic-white-inmate-costume-769-p.jpg

mrklaw

MrArseFace
(._.) said:
You do realize 4gb for a console is a tremendous amount? Well, it is believable but that is like the highest end I would expect.

no way will Xbox 360 have 512MB. 128MB is probably enough, perhaps 256MB if we're lucky.

StuBurns

Banned
I'm sure the industry would love Avatar style budgets to go with those Avatar style assets.

They're probably right, maybe it would take that for a FC to Crysis leap, but I don't believe anyone even wants that.

DieH@rd

Banned
Nostalgia~4ever said:
seems far-fetched considering what Frostbite 2 achieves on current gen graphics cards.

But they are talking about Avatar quality visuals on consoles. Battlefield 3 on consoles cant event be rendered at 720p...

We are ways of this kind of hardware for consoles, maybe for PS5.

charsace

confused said:
No fucking way. A single 590 already causes heat issues, no way we are getting something that powerful in a small box underneath the television set at an affordable price soon.
People say this every gen. Same thing was said for the xbox and the 360.

mrklaw said:
no way will Xbox 360 have 512MB. 128MB is probably enough, perhaps 256MB if we're lucky.
This deserves quoting too because you're right.

Next gen will be Xbox 1 & PS2 reboxed. No way we're getting faster hardware. We will be lucky if they leave 3d acceleration in.

I may be terribly wrong but wouldn't 2gb of XDR2 dram be comparable to the performance (data/speed) of 8gb of ddr3?

Allied to a 1 or 2gb GDDR5, I'd guess that would be more than enough for a new videogame look better than current (ultra high) computer graphics, wouldn't it?

Proelite

DieH@rd said:
But they are talking about Avatar quality visuals on consoles. Battlefield 3 on consoles cant event be rendered at 720p...

We are ways of this kind of hardware for consoles, maybe for PS5.

At 15nm, if it releases in 2014 or later, PS4 will have ~ 14 billion transistors if it dedicates the same amount of die space to CPU + GPU as the PS3 did. That's enough transistors to attempt a GPU with the power of 2xN590, and possibly way more since it'll be vastly more efficient in 2015.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
charsace said:
People say this every gen. Same thing was said for the xbox and the 360.
PC tech has progressed way too ahead this gen. It is pretty much impossible to do that right now, when you consider three factors on consoles - Price, power and space.

charsace

Lonely1 said:
And were true.
No. The video card in the xbox was the most powerful card nvidia was putting out until they released the 4 series. The 360 card was better than the cards at the time and has direct x 10 and 11 features and features that haven't even been implemented in direct x yet.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
charsace said:
No. The video card in the xbox was the most powerful card nvidia was putting out until they released the 4 series. The 360 card was better than the cards at the time and has direct x 10 and 11 features and features that haven't even been implemented in direct x yet.

And the Ps3 has a nerfed 7800's. And the best featured? Yes. Most powerful? I have my doubts. Until the 4's series? Simply. no.

Azure J

I just want next gen to run efficiently, quietly and without me having to bleed out more than 400 bucks at launch. It's an easily met goal and with the strides in graphics and general computing design, even for this price you should get monsters that make this gen look like "babby's first vidya game".

I just feel like sometimes, people buy too hard into the marketing with things like "generational leaps", "Avatar-like graphics" and the like and don't actually understand the specifics to console design or why one option is better for the whole than awesome for a singular.

This is exactly the reason why next consoles from Sony and Microsoft won't outrageously outperform Wii U on the graphics side.

Even if they're more technically impressive, visuals won't reflect that.

charsace

Lonely1 said:
And the Ps3 has a nerfed 7800's.
That's sony. They didn't plan as well as MS. MS plan since the 90's was to get a box in homes around the world. The xbox has done the best job of that. They are going to use xbox brand the way they have been using it since the first xbox; to get a share of the entertainment industry. The 360 is MS's media box and they will do whatever it takes to keep it that way.

i think they mean console need to have that if they are going to be toe-to-toe with PC's of that point in time.

consoles couldn't run FC when it first released, and can barely run Crysis (from the looks of the trailer) so maybe he should scale things back a little and consider that the FC > Crysis jump was done on PC's, not consoles.

Proelite said:
At 15nm, if it releases in 2014 or later, PS4 will have ~ 14 billion transistors if it dedicates the same amount of die space to CPU + GPU as the PS3 did. That's enough transistors to attempt a GPU with the power of 2xN590, and possibly way more since it'll be vastly more efficient in 2015.

I didn't even though about cell.

I don't know how expensive cell production is right now (or if it even would be a feasible/worth architecture) but imagine a twin cell structure...
...or even a triple!

It would be magical!

Eva-Magi.jpg

Top Bottom