• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crytek: Next consoles need to have 4x NV590 + 8GB of RAM for a Far Cry -> Crysis leap

...and that will bring "Avatar Quality" graphics in realtime.

siTVH.jpg

Source: http://www.crytek.com/sites/default/files/S2011_SecretsCryENGINE3Tech_0.ppt

They've talked a bit about it before, but this is the first time we learn of their 4x 590 vision. For those that don't know what this practically means, a 590 costs about $700: http://blogs.nvidia.com/2011/03/the-geforce-gtx-590-has-arrived/

And here are their past comments: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-the-making-of-crysis-2?page=3

"My finger-pointing at Microsoft/Sony would really be on the memory side. It's way too low, and the biggest crippling factor from a visual perspective. I would really like to see next-gen console platforms with a minimum of 8GB."

"I'm a strong believer that we should already be at Avatar quality in real-time, but the mass market (not everyone has the highest end cards or CPUs for example) is significantly delaying this next step," observes Tiago Sousa.

edit: from another presentation:

R0E1k.jpg

edit: from twitter:

@CRYTEK_TIAGO Carmack say today that next-gen consoles will be 10 times as powerful as Xbox360 or PS3. What do you think about that?

@ric84italy 10x is a modern high end PC non-sli. We need at least 4x the power of a NV590 - then I will be happy. At least for a while :)

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
They can pay for my console.

Aegus

It's good to have faith that your company will be around in 10 years to see consoles with 4x NV 590s.

Don't really remember THAT kind of a jump between FC on max and Crysis on PCs that could max FC.

THE jump is something like Quake 1 to Quake 2, FF9 to FF10.

rvy

Banned
I like Crytek. As insane as they sound, they mean well. I think if we get more than 4 GB of RAM, we're already in a great place.

Solal

I don't get how professional programmers can seriously expect Avatar quality anytime soon... Sounds like Toy story quality on PS2: bullshit.

In 20 years, consoles will be 10x larger, twice as powerful, and so expensive that only the 5 richest Kardashians will be able to afford them.

Noirulus

Current consoles only have 512MB of RAM, i'm pretty sure 2GB of RAM will be more than sufficient. Any high-end GPU on a console will easily make consoles stronger than current PCs.

Atilac

Considering some games look better then crytek's offerings, this sounds like laziness to cover up for bad art assets.

Shtof

Isn't RAM supposed to be rather cheap these days? Anyway, 8 gigs of RAM shouldn't be much of a problem, really.

Orayn

Shtof said:
Isn't RAM supposed to be rather cheap these days? Anyway, 8 gigs of RAM shouldn't be much of a problem, really.
DDR3 is, but that's probably not what next-gen consoles will be using.

Solal said:
I don't get how professional programmers can seriously expect Avatar quality anytime soon... Sounds like Toy story quality on PS2: bullshit.
When they make remarks like this, it's simply in terms of the fidelity of the character models. A game will never animate as well as a movie, with the exception of mo-capped stuff.

DieH@rd

Banned
This is just speculation, move along people. If we are lucky we will get gf560Ti equivalent and 4gb of ram, and nothing higher than that.

Shtof said:

Not this again.

THEY ARE NOT USING SLOW PC RAM FOR CONSOLES. Console makers are paying ~40$ for a 512mb of high quality XDR/gddr ram. 8gb is way to much for upcoming console generation. 4gb is the max that we will get, and that is fine.

Marco1

FFS, not this again.
Although it's always makes for a good thread.
Crytek you should know by now that what we want and what we get are two totally different things.

CatPee

Maybe they should just learn to optimize their shit instead of begging for ridiculous hardware.

And learn how to make good games too.

Angry Fork

Next consoles will have 8gb. 4gb is already becoming meh with gaming PC's, by the time consoles come out if they have 4gb they'll be way behind. Usually when consoles come out they're able to rival gaming PC's for at least 6 months or so at launch.

Proelite

Angry Fork said:
Next consoles will have 8gb. 4gb is already becoming meh with gaming PC's, by the time consoles come out if they have 4gb they'll be way behind. Usually when consoles come out they're able to rival gaming PC's for at least 6 months or so at launch.

DDR3 != GDDR5

8gb of DDR3 might be cheapter than 2gb of GDDR5 in a few years.

confused

Banned
I'm almost dying of laughter here. Oh Crytek, you so crazy.

Basically this thing should have 8 GPU's ?? and no micro-stutter, right.

DieH@rd

Banned
CatPee said:
Maybe they should just learn to optimize their shit instead of begging for ridiculous hardware.

And learn how to make good games too.

Crysis 2 is very optimized game. Anyone who says otherwise did not witness how it preforms on cheaper PC hardware [hint: it works awesome].

And its a good game also.

Orayn

charsace said:
2 gigs of fast ram for the cards and 6 gigs of DDR3 for other things.
Plausible, though I don't think there are enough other things to justify and entire 6GB - Console OSes are already pretty svelte, and you'd need to be actively trying to waste memory to insist on 6 for things like Facebook, cross-game chat, web browsers, a fancy dashboard, etc.

vocab

DieH@rd said:
Crysis 2 is very optimized game. Anyone who says otherwize did not witnes how it preforms on cheaper PC hardware [hint: it works awesome].

Of course it is optimized. It looks fucking terrible.

Azure J

Wait, they're still on this? Nevermind that consoles have all of their power streamlined and dedicated to visuals/gaming grunt work and having something modest by PC GPU standards for 2012 -2013 (say a AMD Radeon 6850/70 or nVidia GTX 560 with 2GB unified RAM) would utterly cockslap this generation and provide gorgeous looking games, don't these guys worry about price? Heating/cooling? Developer budgets to make things and remain competitive with those that can burn money to make the awesome looking games?

It's like they want to be console developers making games for PCs.

Derrick01

Banned
Gamer @ Heart said:
Bullshit. Build your game defrently to work then like you did with Cry sis 1.

What they described is a 1000 dollar machine.

Way more than that. 1 590 now is in the $600-$700 range.

thuway

Are they out of their goddamn minds? Isn't Four GTX 590s = EIGHT GTX 580s :-O.

I've been hoping for ONE GTX 590 power in my PS4 but even that is LOL worthy.

Shadow of the BEAST said:
you mean wii u will be lucky if it has 2gb.

ps4/xbox3 is almost guaranteed to have 4gb or more.
Well, with that much RAM you're either guaranteed a fantasy console worth 600+ dollars or a crappy console with crappy RAM speeds.

In the meanwhile the rest of us will live in a saner world with less but faster RAM.

I don't get why we need it.

I have a PC with half that RAM and probably a quarter of that hypothetical graphical capability - I'm yet to find a game that it cannot max out.

They don't even remotely justify why we need this, and why its worth hugely expensive consoles and investment.

Top Bottom