• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crytek: Next gen Crysis trilogy re-release possible

Part of a larger article here.

Crytek's ambitions for future hardware, then, seem fairly clear, which makes the decision to launch Crysis 3 at the end of a console cycle, rather than hold off for the imminent next-gen launch all the more puzzling. After all, with the company looking to secure licensees for its "next-gen ready" engine, surely it would be within Crytek's best interests to prove CryEngine 3's capabilities via its own next-gen release, rather than launching Crysis 3 now?

"I think it was just a timing thing," says Read. "That's kind of where we ended up on Crysis." But Crytek hasn't ruled out a next-generation re-release, Read suggests.

"It would be a cool idea to see something like that
," Read replies, when I ask him whether Crytek was considering re-releasing the Crysis trilogy on next-generation consoles, complete with all the bells, whistles and tessellated toads offered by the PC version. "I haven't heard anything about that internally, but I have had a lot of people asking about that. I think if enough people are crying out and going, 'Hey, let's see something', then, you know, that may just end up being awesome."

Reiko

Banned
Read between the lines guys.

PC crowd missed out on Crysis 1 with the CryEngine 3 upgrades...

Well, if you were ever in doubt of current gen practices being a complete repeat next gen...well...

All three of the games on consoles never were in HD so...

sant

Didn't the mods make the game look incredible? Why would anyone care next gen when every other game looks as good or better.

Into

I would not mind seeing more compilations of current games, say slap all the Uncharted's, Assassins Creed's, Crysisisis's's etc. together, 1080p, 60fps and give a good affordable price and i am there.

RoKKeR

I'd but it.

On PC.

This will definitely happen for next gen, no doubt about it. Spring 2014 Crysis Trilogy Edition. Calling it now.

Jindujun

Neo Member
Didnt they say they were done releasing games that would cost money and that they'd switch to a free 2 play model for their upcoming releases?

I'm totally down for this

Don't wanna go back to PC gaming yet and current Crysis ports range from okay (Crysis1 and 2 Xbox360) to horrid (Crysis1 and 3 PS3)

I'd be very interested in playing a decent version of that first game. Just to fuck around in that first level.

Dude, I can fuck around that first level for the rest of my gaming days

lord knows how many hours I already have over the years between PC, XBox, and PS3 versions of Crysis

rrs

Would seem easy enough with next gen being similar to PC, and would print money. Doesn't seem suprising.

Sojgat

My PC could run Crysis (for about 5 minutes, and then it crashed) but I've mainly played the series on consoles. Even though I'll be picking up Crysis 3 on 360 I'd happily double dip on a next gen release. I thought Crytek would wait until well after the new game released to even comment on the possibility though.

sp3000

The first level of Crysis is amazing level design. It's like a open world island. The amount of things you can just do in that mission that have nothing to do with the objective is great.

Hypron

The first level of Crysis is amazing level design. It's like a open world island. The amount of things you can just do in that mission that have nothing to do with the objective is great.

Yeah, it's absolutely awesome. You haven't played Crysis until you have killed a Korean by throwing live animals at him :p

SparkTR

Is this gonna end up like Timesplitters HD? "If there's community support we'll do it", followed by them saying there isn't enough support...

Sethos

Banned
You gotta give it to Crytek, they sure know how to stay in the spotlight all. the. time. When they aren't releasing a new game or promising sequels / re-releases they are making 'edgy' statements regarding the industry. Feels like they've been in the press for the last year, every day.

Hypron

Would buy if they are the same as maxed out PC-version @ 60 fps

That + Keyboard and mouse support and they would have a sale. Otherwise, I'll just wait for my next computer upgrade which won't happen anytime soon (the joy of being an unemployed student).

Glass Rebel

Fuck you Crytek, fuck you for forcing these poor journalists to interview you all the time. Don't you have like anything better to do?!

Pikma

Banned
Crysis is a "Trilogy" only in the loosest sense of the word, given that the first game has little to do with the latter two.

Why? (Serious question, I've just barely played the 2nd one, didn't like it but I'm still slightly interested in the series because I keep reading very good things here on GAF about the first one)

Bedlam

Why? (Serious question, I've just barely played the 2nd one, didn't like it but I'm still slightly interested in the series because I keep reading very good things here on GAF about the first one)
The first one is a really good game, not great but it's also not just pretty graphics as some people claim.

The second game bored me to death, however. Couldn't finish it for that reason.

xemumanic

I've been saying this since the original Crysis came to 360 and PS3, powered by CryEngine 3 (the Crysis 2 engine). I was hoping for Warhead to come out, and I'd said a number of times (I think here even), that'd I'd gladly buy Crysis/Crysis Warhead yet again on PC if they took those ports and brought them to PC.

Sojgat

I've been saying this since the original Crysis came to 360 and PS3, powered by CryEngine 3 (the Crysis 2 engine). I was hoping for Warhead to come out, and I'd said a number of times (I think here even), that'd I'd gladly buy Crysis/Crysis Warhead yet again on PC if they took those ports and brought them to PC.

Was about to mention this in relation to the trilogy question. Many people hold Warhead as the best one. It would be a shame if Crytek never get around to porting it. It's probably much less work to just pretend it doesn't exist though, since it's not a numbered sequel.

Second game barely references the first in plot terms, and the aliens, nanosuit etc changed a lot. For example, in C1 the aliens were blue floating things that snap-froze the jungle, and in 2 they are strange, brown/red biotechnology aliens who unleash big bio-weapons to infect and kill people. It's like they're from different series, honestly. They look nothing alike, they act nothing alike. The Nanosuit became a wierd symbiote deal in 2, when in the first it was clearly just a military exoskeleton which the North Koreans had reverse engineered themselves. The first game ended on a cliffhanger, which the second ignores completely.

The gameplay didn't get changed as much as the story/world stuff, but still felt pretty different. Much less open, although still good in its own way.

Top Bottom