• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crytek Opens New Austin, Texas studio - Hires 36 Vigil staff

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
jrthqcrytekhjuoa.png

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Hmm I wonder if they will pick it up. It's probably more worth from a quality standpoint than Homefront.

They might take Crawler as well if it was really impressing people.

Can't be that expensive and it was an FPS so it'd fit with what Crytek does.

So Jason Rubin just told me that the reason Crytek did not bid on Vigil during the auction was they were not prepared for it then.

https://twitter.com/Jason_Rubin

Not sure how much I believe that, considering that Crytek pulled off the same exact move for Free Radical.

I think the real reason was two-fold:

1. Crytek wanted the Vigil developers to create something new and had no use for their IPs / assets

2. Crytek picked up the core team of Vigil for free, essentially. Free is better than a bid at an auction.

Omega

Banned
is this even a good thing?

only time I ever hear about crytek is that Cervat Yerli always hyping up Crysis and how it's going to change lives and all this other nonsense

Xater

Not sure how much I believe that, considering that Crytek pulled off the same exact move for Free Radical.

I think the real reason was two-fold:

1. Crytek wanted the Vigil developers to create something new and had no use for their IPs / assets

2. Crytek picked up the core team of Vigil for free, essentially. Free is better than a bid at an auction.

I guess he means that they were not prepared to pick up a studio during the auction. Crytek probably did not expect no one picking up Vigil. Now they had some time to work out a deal.

Glass Rebel

Fantastic news. I'm not the biggest Crytek fan but I'm happy to see the Vigil guys finding a new home. Can't wait for their first CryEngine 3 game.

ozfunghi

I was wondering last week if Nintendo wouldn't want to expand Retro with some extra Vigil forces... but i guess not :)

scitek

Uh this could be a huge deal for CryEngine support, no? Wasn't one of the knocks against it that Crytek didn't have a US branch?

If they need a dude with no discernible talent, hit me up. Glad there's an opportunity for people to find employment after the fallout.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
How long until Crytek runs out of money? They have like 400 studios, that make like 3 games.
Crysis 3, Homefront 2, Warface (F2P, already out in some countries), Ryse, all that engine work and probably 1-2 unknown projects with less than 800 people. Doesn't sound too crazy to me.

edit: With Koch and Crytek, Germany is representing pretty hard right now.

So Jason Rubin just told me that the reason Crytek did not bid on Vigil during the auction was they were not prepared for it then.

https://twitter.com/Jason_Rubin

I knew it. This quick auction process seemed way too fast for a lot of companies to be ready. Its probably why everything sold for relatively cheap. Probably why big companies with a lot of red tape (WB, EA, Activision) weren't in on anything.

R1CHO

Yerli keeps saying that they are not very happy with the sales, that crysis didn't sell what it deserved on pc because piracy, that this and that... and yet they keep growing and growing.

So what's the deal? Is Crytek a bubble?

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Great news for the Vigil peeps. Very talented people that deserve to have their hard work rewarded. Would love for them to coax Joe Mad to come back to the studio, and have the whole team back together to make a new IP.

Even if they don't get Darksiders, I would love for them to work on a "spiritual sequel" like the Xeno series.

I'm a huge fan of Vigil's work, but I've been a Joe Madureira fan for years, from his Uncanny X-Men work, to his PSM cover art, to Battle Chasers. Joe Mad's art is a huge part of what I consider to be the Darksiders universe. Would really love for him to at least do part time work with them to develop art for the next game.

I've been told like, half an hour ago by Crytek's RP that they also bought Darksiders (I'm in Frankfurt right now): http://www.jeuxvideomagazine.com/ac...udio-au-texas-et-rachete-darksiders--a1063058

Maybe she spoke too soon or misunderstood what happened but she seemed pretty sure.

Well then! Let the Darksiders 3 development....BEGIN!

apana

The art of Darksiders never appealed to me. I'd like to see a mature Zelda style game set in a LOTR or Song of Ice and Fire style universe. It would get better sales than Darksiders. Perhaps Crytek wants to use them to demonstrate the ability of Cryengine 3 to create fantasy worlds. Cryengine 3 is their next gen engine which will compete with Unreal 4, correct?

why not jump into the party with DmC,MGS revenge, bayonetta 2 so on make it a blast with a new ip in the mix

I say they make a BERSERK game :)

Sentenza

Lets see a Cryengine 3 Darksiders.
I would pay a lot of money for it.
Or for any Zelda-like Vigil could come out with, for all that matters.

Just ditch the shitty Diablo-like random loot system that almost single-handledly ruined DSII and go back to unique rewards for unique accomplishments.

Raptor

Great news.

Maybe a more mature(see non comic book Example: Dark Souls) art wise Darksiders made with Cry Engine 3 will bring the sales!

Crytek is just freaking loaded. They have studios everywhere. At this point I wouldn't be surprised if they are the largest independent studio in the world.

Achieved with CryEngine 3...

18-Volt

I guess ex-Vigil employees should just stay unemployed if there's a possibility they won't make games for Nintendo systems, huh.

I hoped that someone related to Nintendo would hire them, like Retro, since they're both located in Austin, Texas. Nintendo is losing more 3rd party support every day and this isn't good.

Isn't Epic bigger?

nah, crytek UK (free radical) is doing that already.

1. Epic Games
2. People Can Fly
3. Chair Entertainment
4. Epic Games Seattle
Epic Games China (Yingpei Games) (no longer part of Epic)
Titan Studios (Defunct)
5. Epic Games Korea
6. Epic Games Japan
7. Epic Games Baltimore

They're about equal in size.

Top Bottom