• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crytek Opens New Austin, Texas studio - Hires 36 Vigil staff

scitek

Actually, that's not what they claimed at all.
They said all Crysis games were profitable.
But they also claimed that without piracy spoiling their sales could have been three or four times better.
Which honestly I find a very silly claim, more wishful thinking that something grounded in reality.

I remember after the Crysis 2 alpha build leaked early, people actually preordering the game because they liked what they played.

tragic, if you're reading this, are you working for Crytek now? Can you say?

I hope you're ready for a F2P Darksiders. Seriously.

After Crysis 3, Homefront 2 and Ryse, it's done with boxed stuff. I'm happy for the Vigil lot that got jobs there, but they won't be working on a boxed Darksiders 3. It'll be Darksiders 3-to-play (I know that joke's been done, but still).

EDIT: Just seen the GameSpot tweet. Seems like they won't be working on Darksiders at all, then.

I hope you're already for a F2P Darksiders. Seriously.

After Crysis 3, Homefront 2 and Ryse, it's done with boxed stuff. I'm happy for the Vigil lot that got jobs there, but they won't be working on a boxed Darksiders 3. It'll be Darksiders 3-to-play (I know that joke's been done, but still).

EDIT: Just seen the GameSpot tweet. Seems like they won't be working on Darksiders at all, then.

they have to own the ip to work on the game.

element

This is a very smart move by Crytek. By not buying Vigil whole, they don't have to take on the overhead of the previous company. This allows them to start from scratch, which sometimes is better for your books.

Haunted

Crytek's expansion continues. Several European studios, some in Asia, now one in the US.

Good for the core Vigil people to be able to stay together. Looking forward to their next game done in the CryEngine.

Saty

PaulLFC

Excellent. Well done Crytek.

Maybe, funds allowing, they can bring back any other former Vigil employees who want to work there as well.

Shame they won't be purchasing Darksiders, couldn't they get it pretty cheaply at this point?

fenners

So Crytek got a good chunk and Retro got a few, how many more Vigil members are left?

Plenty. Company was around 80-100 people, I believe. Austin doesn't have the capacity job-wise to handle all ex-Vigil stuff plus the exodus from Junction Point.

tkscz

Plenty. Company was around 80-100 people, I believe. Austin doesn't have the capacity job-wise to handle all ex-Vigil stuff plus the exodus from Junction Point.

Ah, well I hope Retro picks more of them up. Also, isn't Retro's new studio in Austin Texas? Or was that their old one?

x-Lundz-x

Really happy for all the Vigil employee's who got hired on, they are a great team with tons of talent. Really looking forward to seeing what they can do with Crytek's tech.

Wiktor

I'm not sure how to feel about this. Crytek isn't a company in good terms with Nintendo.

That's a bad thing? People want a huge jump from whatever next thing they do. Which isn't something that's really achievable on Wii U. At this point the worse the relationship multiplat devs have with Nintendo the better, as Wii U would just drag all the other versions down. Wii U should be left for Wii U exclusives

Sentenza

At this point Vigil's Odyssey begs for the question: what about Dark Millenium?
Last time they spoke about it, they were heavily redesigning the game to be a single player/co-op experience.

Are they just going to throw all the investments made on that project out of the window or is there a plan to salvage what can be salvaged?

BY2K

Membero Americo
So is Platinum Darksider's last hope?

Or maybe we'll get a surprise buyer at the second auction.

Top Bottom