• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crytek: PC Market Can Not Support Large/Expensive Games By Itself, Consoles Needed

Mr_Brit

Banned
DigitalFoundry interview with Crytek

So whilst reading through DigitalFoundry's latest article I noticed Crytek had these wise words(lol) to say about the PC market:

"We could not have created a game with the scope, scale, and multiplayer features of Crysis 2 if it were a PC-only title,"

"The PC market just does not support that cost of development, but going multi-platform does."

"The decision to go multi-platform has allowed us to bring a better game to everyone, which has been our goal all along."

What happened to you Crytek, you used to be cool.

sflufan

Banned
Far Cry 2 had infinitely more scope and scale than Crysis 2 and that was on the consoles as well.

Shut up, Crytek.

antonz

heh. They sell Millions of units being PC only then launch a console version and Homefront outsells it.

Good job Crytek!

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
He is right - even though there are exceptions.
Most companies can`t spend 50 million dollars developing a PC exclusive title.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
i bet for all those years that crysis funded crytek's pan-european expansion, they all dreamt of one day creating the kind of red letter money-spinner that could come in just below lego star wars in an all format npd.

StuBurns

Banned
sflufan said:
Far Cry 2 had infinitely more scope and scale than Crysis 2 and that was on the consoles as well.

Shut up, Crytek.
How does that in any way go against what he said?

Personally, I thought FC2 was shit. However I do think Crysis 1 is still better than Crysis 2, so I don't agree with the claim going multiplatform allowed 'everyone' to get a better game.

However, the scope and scale of Crysis 2 felt significantly less impressive than the first game, and most reports in the Crysis 2 thread claim the the MP is pretty much broken.

Maybe it's a sad reality that from a business perspective they couldn't do a Crysis-scale game for PC only, but I wish they did. I enjoyed Crysis 2 a lot but it definitely felt like the shell of what Crysis was at time. I have to believe that most of the things I miss in the game are a direct result of it being developed for consoles too.

Dennis

Banned
The Witcher 2 seems to be a large and beautiful game developed specifically for PC (but with possibe console ports later) on a very modest budget (US$ 8 million).

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
cw_sasuke said:
He is right - even though there are exceptions.
Most companies can`t spend 50 million dollars developing a PC exclusive title.

As far as I know, budget of Crysis 1 was 22 million dollars, including the engine development and everything.

I'm not sure I actually understand this statement. Is he saying that it's impossible to have a big, expensive PC-exclusive? Is he saying that the size of multi-platform games is generally bigger than PC games?

41jywROj7rL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I don't get it.

"We could not have created a game with the scope, scale, and multiplayer features of Crysis 2 if it were a PC-only title,"

I know that this is bullshit but I can understand the reasoning that being on more platforms would allow them to make a game with bigger scope and scale, however the "multiplayer features" part is just perplexing. The multiplayer in Crysis 2 just seems like pretty dull, standard stuff and from what I hear it's filled with cheaters because Crytek didn't put in any anti-cheat protection.

Dennis

Banned
Fuck this shitty idea that every game has to have multiplayer.

How many people would have cared in there where no MP in Crysis 2? Resources better spent elsewhere.

antonz

To be fair to Crytek.

It is hard to get support from the PC Market when you design your new game to be inferior to the original and dont even use the maximum potential of the PC market.

Wheres DX11 Crytek? Hell where is DX10?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
but crysis 1 had a larger scope and scale than crysis 2, and it was pc exclusive, and it was evidently popular and profitable enough to help crytek massively massively expand over the years.

DennisK4 said:
Fuck this shitty idea that every game has to have multiplayer.

How many people would have cared in there where no MP in Crysis 2? Resources better spent elsewhere.
I think that's how they got their sales on consoles, though. Two multiplayer betas, heavily COD focused. That had to pull a lot of people in who wouldn't've been interested otherwise.

I mean we were in it for the SP only from the very start, but we also played/loved Crysis, so we knew what we wanted.

hauton

DennisK4 said:
The Witcher 2 seems to be a large and beautiful game developed specifically for PC (but with possibe console ports later) on a very modest budget (US$ 8 million).
real .

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Pretty embarrassing. Everyone knows why Crytek went multiplatform with Crysis 2. Making up crazy shit in interviews is only going to draw attention to it.

A game like Crysis 2 is going to be very front loaded on consoles and since it didn't do blockbuster numbers I'd say it's pretty much dead in the water.

People generally stick to one MP game. Despite how good or bad it was, it wasn't going to snatch a significant audience from the CoD/Halo crowd. Crysis was always about the great single player experience and the visual spectacle. A lot of resources were wasted developing a MP which is probably going to be deserted in a few months.

edit

DennisK4 said:
Resources better spent elsewhere.

Damn it, Dennis.

The scope and scale of the Crysis 2 campaign is inferior to Crysis 1, so I dont understand what they mean. why the fuck do developers says things that they know full well wont survive a moment of scrutiny? That is BAD PR.

TheOddOne

HiddenWings said:
I'm not sure I actually understand this statement. Is he saying that it's impossible to have a big, expensive PC-exclusive? Is he saying that the size of multi-platform games is generally bigger than PC games?
I don't get it.
To be fair, Blizzard lives in its own perfect world. They have so much respect in the gaming, that whatever they release will sell. And rightfully so, they make awesome stuff.

MrHicks

Banned
its "kinda" true though
how many high budget/mega blockbuster exclusives does PC have?

most pc exclusive stuff is low/medium budget type stuff these days

offcourse theres blizzard as one of the few exceptions

theres no argument that consoles have way more expensive projects going on

sn00zer

antonz said:
To be fair to Crytek.

It is hard to get support from the PC Market when you design your new game to be inferior to the original and dont even use the maximum potential of the PC market.

Wheres DX11 Crytek? Hell where is DX10?
Crytek make best looking game ever people complain it doesnt look better....

MrHicks said:
its "kinda" true though
how many high budget/mega blockbuster exclusives does PC have?

most pc exclusive stuff is low/medium budget type stuff these days

offcourse theres blizzard as one of the few exceptions

theres no argument that consoles have way more expensive projects going on

There's also no real argument that the HD Console centric devs are having a heck of a lot more financial woes than the PC centric devs. Or... well, every other kind of developer, actually.

tok

Neo Member
They could have just made a bunch of levels using the original Crysis engine and still had a better PC only title than Crysis 2 at a fraction of the price.

I understand the point of a business is to make money, but Crytek seems to talk out of their asses a lot. Its OK to just say it... The game had to be simplified for console hardware.

I'm praying STALKER 2 doesn't suffer the same fate.

Dennis

Banned
DennisK4: "CryTek have betrayed us, the loyal PC fans. I will never buy another game from them until they go PC exclusive again!"

*CryTek announces multiplatform open-world RPG and Crysis 3 games running on CryEngine 4*

DennisK4: "Oh my godz, Day 1 PC !!!"

HiddenWings said:

41jywROj7rL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I don't get it.
You can't throw out Diablo 3 as if its the norm. In the realm of PC gaming, Blizzard is not the norm for business it would seem.

StuBurns

Banned
Pureauthor said:
There's also no real argument that the HD Console centric devs are having a heck of a lot more financial woes than the PC centric devs. Or... well, every other kind of developer, actually.
This is true. That's because the consoles really need to allow a more healthy mid-budget infrastructure, triple A or no play needs to die before the next-gen budget increases fuck the whole thing up.

There's no question the PC market is so much more effective in that regard.

Iztli

inflight9418979.jpg

-.-

"The PC market just does not support that cost of development, but going multi-platform does."

CEO and President of game developer Crytek said Crysis cost 15 million Euros (22 million USD) to develop during a panel about the future of gaming graphics at the Games Convention Developers Conference in Leipzig, Germany. Yet despite the cost, Yerli maintained the game was profitable, adding, "if it wasn't profitable I wouldn't be able to stand here."

"The decision to go multi-platform has allowed us to bring a better game to everyone, which has been our goal all along."

Metacritic:

Crysis 91

Crysis 2 86 average

szaromir

Banned
I wonder about one thing. Codename Kingdoms is a platform exclusive, does it mean less features and smaller scope than Crysis 2?

Draft

I have a feeling Crytek might be about to find out that even consoles won't be able to support the development cost of Crysis 2.

spazzfish

I don't understand this:

Maybe I'm not reading it right, but is he implying that if Crysis 2 was PC only then it would be even more dumbed down? How the heck does that work out?

I had better go and get more caffine or something, that quote has hurt my head.

Iztli

MrHicks said:
OMG!!! 5 point metacritic difference
total shit sequal confirmed

I hope you arent confusing "average" with me calling the game crap :S I meant thats the average based on all 3 systems

"The decision to go multi-platform has allowed us to bring a better game to everyone"

StuBurns

Banned
spazzfish said:
I don't understand this:

Maybe I'm not reading it right, but is he implying that if Crysis 2 was PC only then it would be even more dumbed down? How the heck does that work out?

I don't know what's confusing about that. They're saying as it is, Crysis 2 couldn't be PC exclusive. The PS360 install base is like 100M, that changes the viability of a project's success a lot.

This is false, you can still do a successful PC exclusive. I loved Crysis 2, I love the online, I didn't like the story but the campaign was amazing but even i can see this game would have been better just on PC.

markao

spazzfish said:
I don't understand this:

scale as in budget, EA is now willing to give a PC only dev 30/60 million for a game.

Top Bottom