• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crytek to Announce 'Absolutely Fantastic' New Project [Likely Crysis 3]

DieH@rd

Banned
That is rumoured to be Ryse.

Isnt Ryse set in Rome with gladiators and legionares?

If they make a game that follows the early days of Codex Alera fantasy books fiction [one roman legion transproted into fantasy land] I will fucking die from happiness right away!

[and then return to life so i could play it]

TheOddOne

If they make a game that follows the early days of Codex Alera fantasy books fiction [one roman legion transproted into fantasy land] I will fucking die from happiness right away!

It is said to be first-person melee type game and those characters in the art all feature melee type weapons. Ryse was said to be high concept fantasy like too.

I hope, if Crysis'll be, that it is Crysis for real this time and not another crossbreed with CoD.

Gameplay wise Crysis 2 was still pretty great, even if it did sacrifice some of what made C1 special, mainly thanks to the differences in level design. For me the sticking point is that the aliens are totally different. Not in gameplay terms - them using humanoid exosuits is fine, and they're quite fun to fight. I mean how they have like no connection to the C1 aliens. No wierd antigrav environments, no blue colour scheme, no ice weapon/snap freezing of environments, etc etc. I like the name Ceph they got in C2, but really, they aren't the same aliens at all. Such a weird shift from C1 to C2.

Also, bring back voiced protagonists. Most of the big name shooters post HL2/Doom 3 have had silent protagonists for some reason, and the fact that Nomad was voiced made me breathe a sigh of relief. Then C2 went silent protag for some reason :(

Xyber

This is from the Swedish site Gamereactor
94.jpg

They have an exclusive announcement about some big new game and the next issue is out the 16th. That sure looks like something from Crysis (pattern at the top).

-SD-

Banned
94.jpg

They have an exclusive announcement about some big new game and the next issue is out the 16th. That sure looks like something from Crysis (pattern at the top).
It looks like something out of Crysis 2, not Crysis. I'm betting for Crysis 2 expansion.

A Crysis 2 expansion would be horrible :(

I don't know if they can ever go back to what made Crysis so good though. Crysis 2 was very popular and a two year dev cycle almost certainly isn't long enough to drastically change the things I want changed.

I want to embrace a Crysis 3 that goes back to the roots of the first game. Make it happen, Crytek :(

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Really hope this is slated for next gen consoles ( or while I'm still dreaming, a pc exclusive ) and not a current gen multiplatform game.

DieH@rd

Banned
94.jpg

Crysis 2: Return to New York

Starring, Snake Pliskin and Psycho

Maybe he is talking about the setting, which was just "the usual stuff".

Tropical island with aliens has definitely been done before, but the suit alone is anything but uninspired.

Not to mention the ridiculous variety of ways you could approach each and every situation. Those first few levels are FPS perfection. I'm not sure we'll see anything that can touch it for a long time.

Truant

Nothing happened in Crysis 2. I felt like a lot of stuff was cut from the game, and all that remained was the filler.

I honestly love the shit out of both Crysis games, but they're pretty unoriginal, thematically speaking.

In setting and narrative, sure. But even then that's only to a degree - I'm not aware of many other products that have this tropical land suddenly get frozen, though there may be a lot.

But in terms of game design it is the complete opposite of uninspired and that's what matters.

robin2

Tropical island with aliens has definitely been done before, but the suit alone is anything but uninspired.

Not to mention the ridiculous variety of ways you could approach each and every situation. Those first few levels are FPS perfection. I'm not sure we'll see anything that can touch it for a long time.
I was referring to the "contemporary military" part of the setting. The aliens design also wasn't earth shattering.

And I agree with what you write in the second paragraph, but mind you: I'm a schmuck.

Blizzard

Banned

Bah, either the Codex Alera or the Harry Dresden universe could be pretty awesome for games, but it would be very hard to do it justice.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Crysis has two excellent levels: Onslaught and Assault. The rest of the game is mediocre enemy variety and dumb alien combat stretched across repetitive encounters and environments, faux open world level design (and a handful of junk levels, see: zero g), and a forgettably cliche plot. It looked incredible, used physics well, and had a cool suit, and that was apparently enough to make people forget the open world shooter concept had been done before (eg: Far Cry and Operation Flashpoint).

Crysis made me realise I don't ever want to play another shooter in a fucking tropical jungle ever again.

Blizzard

Banned
Universally acclaimed by schmucks.
"Schmuck or shmuck in American English is a pejorative meaning an obnoxious, contemptible or detestable person, or one who is stupid or foolish."?

Metacritic shows universal acclaim by reviewers for Crysis 1, which could potentially be "shmucks", but I thought even normal gamers (such as GAF PC gamers in particular) broadly praised Crysis 1.

Do you mind if I ask what your objections to Crysis 1 are?

*edit* I posted right after you clarified. Thanks, that helped, I too had to google the "schmucks" thing. XD

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Every fucking stupid PC mag ranted and raved about the game, then I played it, and all it did is convince me of what I suspected after the original Far Cry: as long as it looks pretty and pushes PC technology that is apparently enough to warrant unbridled praise. PC Powerplay's coveted 10/10 for Crysis single handedly caused me to stop reading their mag. I was that disappointed.

And for what it's worth, I think Crysis had some amazing ideas and technology. The marriage of suit abilities, weapon customisation, freedom of play, and the core idea was really unlike anything we'd seen at that point. The idea that Crysis was the first of it's kind in terms of open environment shooting is a flat out lie, but the way Crysis did it, and the experience it presented, was wholey unique.

But I never felt the game had the content and polish to back it up. It was a game that built an excellent foundation and relied off this handful of gimmicks to drive the experience across a whole game. It lacked enemy variety. The weapons variety bored me. The attachment system was a huge gimmick due to how few attachments there were and their minimal effect on gameplay. The jungle environment, by the end of the game, had grown very stale due to remixing the same kind of encounters, the same level structure, and the same climaxes.

I also didn't buy the "play how you want!" shtick. It was there, but a lot of the levels (especially early ones) are deceptively linear. You're often funnelled down a specific path towards specific objectives. Take the creek on the left, the middle ground in the centre, or the high, foresty area on the right. Choice? Sure. But predictable and bland.

This is why I love Assault and Onslaught so much. Like, a lot. Of all levels in the game, they to me feel the most open and dynamic. These levels play to the concept's strength of multiple objectives, a huge variety of dynamic battles and encounters, all of which heavily encourage the player to play however you want. Onslaught alone has basically every single human enemy from the other levels with numerous enemy vehicles added for good measure, along with tons of weapons and vehicles for you to play with. It's a massive, open and dynamic battle with tons of shit going on and a lot of variety. The rest of the game was too forgettable and boring for my liking.

Crysis wouldn't even break my top ten shooters.

EDIT: Oh, and I'm well aware I'm in a minority with this opinion :p.

sn00zer

Totally disagree...yeah it was linear shooter, but it has the widest corridors of any shooter before it....the way gameplay changes drastically depending on the difficulty level...and weapon modifications come in very handy depending on what you want to do....scope and silencer for stealth, red dot for hit and run, iron sights or laser dot for heavy assault.. game was fantastic in the way you could either go gung ho (medium/easy difficulty) or predator (Delta difficulty)...and you had way more camp assault options than what you said, and you could constantly switch between them...like sneaking into a base only to realize side x is heavily fortified so you move around to the back and hop a wall, or set off an alarm to attract a boat and attack from another angle...dunno would put Crysis as actually my number 2 shooter behind FEAR1
EDIT: I would advise playing on Delta difficulty if it didnt really click

Also I thought Warhead was okay, but it sorta flipped Crysis around in that the snow levels were better but the jungle levels were worse

EatChildren

FEAR wouldn't break my top ten either :lol.

I don't feel like a lack of enemy variety, weapons or weapon attachments really hurts the game at all because it's about how you use them. Crysis didn't make me forget about Far Cry (I never played OpFlash) but it was a total refinement of that idea with a much, much better execution. You're right that it's not a complete open world game, but to say it's "left, middle, right path" is too reductionist. On each path is literally dozens of way to different approach each encounter. I've spent hours in the game quicksaving before one enemy outpost and then re-playing that small bit over and over again in different ways.

I never felt the need for different enemies or weapons because the Koreans were fun enemies to hunt and what I could do with the weapons/attachments/suit abilities that I had was so ridiculously varied that I'm sure I still haven't done everything I could have.

EatChildren

Funny thing with FEAR is that my issues with the game are almost the same as Crysis: fucking amazing shooting bogged down by terrible repetition and a lack of variety. In terms of pure gunplay, FEAR is sublime, but I wish the game had more 'substance'.

I'll have to sit down and crank out a full top ten, and my reasoning, some other time. Maybe when I wake up. But, off the top of my head, I felt the following were, as whole games, better shooters: Quake 3 Arena, Half-Life, Half-Life 2 (and both Episodes), Serious Sam (and I'd consider Serious Sam 3 better as well), Operation Flashpoint, STALKER, the original Rainbow Six, Battlefield 1942 and 2, Tribes 2, Dark Forces, and No One Lives Forever. I'd probably throw No One Lives Forever 2 in there as well.

Lots of multiplayer stuff there which might be unfair. On second thoughts FEAR might just make the cut due to how incredible the gunplay is.

Every fucking stupid PC mag ranted and raved about the game, then I played it, and all it did is convince me of what I suspected after the original Far Cry: as long as it looks pretty and pushes PC technology that is apparently enough to warrant unbridled praise. PC Powerplay's coveted 10/10 for Crysis single handedly caused me to stop reading their mag. I was that disappointed.

And for what it's worth, I think Crysis had some amazing ideas and technology. The marriage of suit abilities, weapon customisation, freedom of play, and the core idea was really unlike anything we'd seen at that point. The idea that Crysis was the first of it's kind in terms of open environment shooting is a flat out lie, but the way Crysis did it, and the experience it presented, was wholey unique.

But I never felt the game had the content and polish to back it up. It was a game that built an excellent foundation and relied off this handful of gimmicks to drive the experience across a whole game. It lacked enemy variety. The weapons variety bored me. The attachment system was a huge gimmick due to how few attachments there were and their minimal effect on gameplay. The jungle environment, by the end of the game, had grown very stale due to remixing the same kind of encounters, the same level structure, and the same climaxes.

I also didn't buy the "play how you want!" shtick. It was there, but a lot of the levels (especially early ones) are deceptively linear. You're often funnelled down a specific path towards specific objectives. Take the creek on the left, the middle ground in the centre, or the high, foresty area on the right. Choice? Sure. But predictable and bland.

This is why I love Assault and Onslaught so much. Like, a lot. Of all levels in the game, they to me feel the most open and dynamic. These levels play to the concept's strength of multiple objectives, a huge variety of dynamic battles and encounters, all of which heavily encourage the player to play however you want. Onslaught alone has basically every single human enemy from the other levels with numerous enemy vehicles added for good measure, along with tons of weapons and vehicles for you to play with. It's a massive, open and dynamic battle with tons of shit going on and a lot of variety. The rest of the game was too forgettable and boring for my liking.

EDIT: Oh, and I'm well aware I'm in a minority with this opinion :p.

Well fucking said! My thoughts exactly, although I did stick around to beating it on Delta which I'd argue really utilizes the open-ended nature/design (and smart use of suit powers) a lot better due to increased difficulty.

EatChildren

Oh and if we branch out of 'first person shooter' into just 'shooter', including third person stuff, then we really scrub Crysis off the list. Vanquish and Resident Evil 4 eat Crysis for breakfast.

Top Bottom