• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cult County (Renegade Kid x 3DS eShop x FPS Horror) Announced

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I6IBbfSl.jpg

Info:

• Sandstorm effect is this game's "mist." Game takes place in Texas.

• Might be released in 2013, but most likely a 2014 release.

• Will be released episodically; there will be three episodes per season, each episode will be about fours long, and each season will take about a year to wrap up. (Might be faster or slower depending on sales.)

• Bigger emphasis on story than any previous Renegade Kid game.

• Probably won't be 60fps.

• They know the game looks like a DS game right now, but they wanted some footage to go with the announcement to set the feel. (The demo is called an "atmosphere" demo and there's basically no gameplay other than walking around the area.)

• Jools Watsham (RK co-founder, designer) said they have the story all planned, but Gregg Hargrove (RK co-founder, art director) said they keep thinking of gameplay stuff they want to add to it ("Really do something special for our original fans", paraphrased.)

• Circle Pad Pro-compatible.

"Atmosphere Demo" Screens:

lfDmkRp.jpg

3f7QPMY.jpg

11dJ9UP.jpg

From the Show Floor:

IMG_20130322_111227.jpg

Me "playing" the demo.

IMG_20130322_155744.jpg

Line to see Cult County.

Glass Rebel

For some reason I thought their FPS would be multi-only, but they have confirmed that it's SP. Looking forward to finding out more about it.

rjc571

Banned
I liked Dementium 2 and Moon but if they have to chop the framerate in half like they did with their ATV Wild Ride port then I'll give it a pass.

Glass Rebel

Yes, it's just an image:

http://www.renegadekid.com/images/cultcounty.jpg[IMG]

maybe if someone can scan the QR code..[/QUOTE]

I did and I meant the pictures on 3DS :) dat fog, I guess they're going for N64 nostalgia.

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/lfDmkRp.jpg

3f7QPMY.jpg

11dJ9UP.jpg

Disguises

First 3DS FPS? I hope this turns out to be good. I loved MP:H on DS and hoped there would be something similar for 3DS.

It might have been more wise to either not reveal any screens or just not even mention the game at all if it looks like that currently.

cacildo

Banner and Eshop info:

Great! Horror game, eshop means cheaper than $40... im in! 3ds best system

Screens:

ehn.... well.... they´re really poorly choosen...

wrowa

These guys pulled some magic on DS. Are they just using those same engines now or something?

I think their games are pretty average at best, the graphics really were the most appealing thing about them.

So.. eh... yeah. Maybe they shouldn't have shown this already. Looks bad.

Gfx look horrible, even for an early stage. Fog is fine but geometry and textures look like DS. It's a small project and everything but they should work on that big time. Otherwise looking forward to hearing more from it.

Neo Child

Banned
Gfx look horrible, even for an early stage. Fog is fine but geometry and textures look like DS. It's a small project and everything but they should work on that big time. Otherwise looking forward to hearing more from it.

oh no the gemoetry how will it ever be a good game

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
it looks very poor in terms of polycount, let's hope that framerate, 3d effect and overal general atmoshpere are able to provide us a good horror fps for the eshop

rjc571

Banned
With graphics like these, if they can't get 60 fps again they should just turn in their 3DS dev kits.

The 3D screenshots actually look fairly nice though, love that 3D depth!

Dascu

Horror games lose a lot by having some LEGO-like environments.

Not really.

To elaborate: Many 2D or older low-poly 3D horror games are still as effective or even more than modern games at being scary. Graphics, next to gameplay, sound and story design, are an important part in creating atmosphere and immersion. But they are not the most important part, nor are technical prowess and realism the main factor behind its horror quality and potential.

Top Bottom