• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cuphead DLC ‘The Delicious Last Course’ delayed to 2020

Mista

Banned

Cuphead downloadable content “The Delicious Last Course,” which was previously planned for release in 2019, will now launch in 2020 for Xbox One, Switch, and PC, developer Studio MDHR announced.

Here is the message from the studio:
Hello old friends and new!

Our highest priority with “The Delicious Last Course” is making sure this new adventure meets the meticulous level of care and quality we always strive for. It’s also important to us that we make things in a way that’s healthy and sustainable for our team. With that in mind, we’ll be moving the release for all platforms to 2020.

Our many thanks for your understanding,
Chad & Jared Moldenhaur

Enjay

Banned
It'll be delayed again too. Remember this game was was announced originally in 2010. Dumbass studios gonna be dumbass studios.

iconmaster

Banned
It'll be delayed again too. Remember this game was was announced originally in 2010. Dumbass studios gonna be dumbass studios.

No one else is attempting animation like Cuphead’s. How long should it take? I can’t estimate it, and probably the devs never could either.

When people complain about frame-by-frame animation disappearing from games in favor of puppet warps and 3D rigs, I feel the loss with them… but I also realize the former way of working is seriously time-consuming.

Are you sure you're in the right time line here? You do understand this is just DLC and the original game launched in 2017 right?

Enjay

Banned
No one else is attempting animation like Cuphead’s. How long should it take? I can’t estimate it, and probably the devs never could either.

When people complain about frame-by-frame animation disappearing from games in favor of puppet warps and 3D rigs, I feel the loss with them… but I also realize the former way of working is seriously time-consuming.
I know that, just they should have learned from their experience in making the game not to make trailers and release dates they can't keep.

Are you sure you're in the right time line here? You do understand this is just DLC and the original game launched in 2017 right?
Yes. They started work on that way back in 2010.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member

How long did Vanillaware take to make Dragon's Crown?

ad68ad5717da19c54da90aee5350e4b0b352d18c.jpg

I mean, the first game got delayed and was both a critical and commercial success when it was released...

Hand drawn animation takes a shitload of work to do and they are (or used to be) a tiny studio.

Enjay

Banned
To clarify, I didn't call them dumbasses for hand drawing their animation they're dumbasses for announcing yet another release date they are unable to make. They should've just delayed it indefinitely especially since they should already know better after having made the rest of the game.

Last edited:

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
To clarify, I didn't call them dumbasses for hand drawing their animation they're dumbasses for announcing yet another release date they are unable to make. They should've just delayed it indefinitely especially since they should already know better after having made the rest of the game.
Missing a target date for a ambitious title with everything being hand drawn makes you a dumbass studio. Gotcha.

D

Deleted member 738976

Unconfirmed Member
Alright but what about the physical versions? Are they waiting for this to be a thing before they do them?

Enjay

Banned
Alright but what about the physical versions? Are they waiting for this to be a thing before they do them?
Yeah they wanted to wait until all the dlc is out to have a physical complete edition.

Missing a target date for a ambitious title with everything being hand drawn makes you a dumbass studio. Gotcha.
When you do it consistently for over 10 years yes. It's way past time to stop giving release dates until your sure.

Last edited:

Mista

Banned
And? This is different news. We don’t have to shove everything in one thread :)

#Phonepunk#

Banned
ill say what i said on the last thread: this being delayed will probably lead me to double dip. i got it on PC 2 years ago on release and would love to play it again on Switch. it's that good.

To anyone poo-pooing the delays,

The first game was delayed because they ended up making more bosses than originally intended. They kept coming up with more ideas and decided to use them all. There is a good chance they are doing the same thing with this DLC. On top of that the complexity of the boss fights ended up way higher than the original plans. They also made some bosses (like the octopus shown in the early demo) that they later replaced with much more complex battles.

While making the first game they discovered new ways to emulate Fleisher's various animation techniques from the 1930's, which added more time to the process but if you look at finished Cuphead compared to the first released promo material the quality had improved a great deal before the final release.

Finally Studio MDHR is a tiny studio made up mostly of Chad, Jared, a lot of their family, and some remote staff. If any of the artists or animators had any issues in the past year (family, illness, etc) the game would get delayed. I think for a studio like that, an announced release date is more of a "This is when we'd LIKE to have it done."

My apologies then

You have to keep in mind, no matter what you post, IbizaPocholo IbizaPocholo has almost certainly already beaten you to it. That's his mutant power :messenger_winking:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Good question; but while there is some frame-by-frame animation in Vanillaware's games, they use a lot of puppet warping too. The Cuphead guys are all in to a degree that you really don't see at HD resolutions.
OTM. i was surprised at how few corners were cut, almost everything is hand drawn animation. so many 2D games use the same transform, rotate, stretch, etc. moves but not here. it's astounding the amount of work put into it. this is one of the times when a game company makes crazy promises they not only deliver on, but they go one step beyond.

Last edited:

nkarafo

Those detailed, hand drawn, animation frames take time to produce. Especially if you take into consideration it's frame by frame animation.

ToadMan

I’d like to think I’ll havefinished the game by then ... but nope. In fact this is probably the first DLC I’m sure I won’t buy for a game I own - the basic product is so hard I’ll almost certainly never exhaust its content lol.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Those detailed, hand drawn, animation frames take time to produce. Especially if you take into consideration it's frame by frame animation.
they also do a lot of brainstorming on the way to the final designs. this is a really cool video walking through the King Dice bossfight which has many different stages to it. he goes into the thoughts behind them, how they were developed, and showing different stages of the designs that they made and rejected on their way to the final boss. fascinating stuff.

Last edited:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Good question; but while there is some frame-by-frame animation in Vanillaware's games, they use a lot of puppet warping too. The Cuphead guys are all in to a degree that you really don't see at HD resolutions.

This looks way better than Cuphead.

JimmyJones

Banned
I need to get back and finish Cuphead. I got an A rank on all bosses on isles one and two but got overwhelmed and gave up on isle three.

This looks way better than Cuphead.

While your opinion is your own and you're certainly entitled to it, you're comparing apples and oranges. While you might argue for one art style vs another, the animation in DC is nowhere near the level shown in Cuphead. For starters it's much more choppy despite using puppet animations for most of the game assets (manipulating static limbs drawn on seperate polygons by altering their orientation). Cuphead uses no asset warping, no puppet animation, or any polygonal based effects. It's entirely animation and hand painted/drawn assets completely faithful to the 1930's art it's based on. Even the "3D" pyramid in the background on Djimmi's stage was filmed with a stereoscopic rotary process like the 1930's cartoons it's trying to emulate. The only shortcut the studio took was digital coloring, because it's way faster and the end result is identical to painting the cells individually by hand.

Ultimadrago

I've been waiting for this DLC for what feels like forever. Cuphead turned out awesome, so I'm sure the final product will be grand, but I wish they initially announced this DLC later than they did or something. The "DLC" tagged onto it
makes it feel long in the tooth for the development wait, even if it's required for the amount of content. I'm hoping there'll be plenty by the time it releases in 2020.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
While your opinion is your own and you're certainly entitled to it, you're comparing apples and oranges. While you might argue for one art style vs another, the animation in DC is nowhere near the level shown in Cuphead. For starters it's much more choppy despite using puppet animations for most of the game assets (manipulating static limbs drawn on seperate polygons by altering their orientation). Cuphead uses no asset warping, no puppet animation, or any polygonal based effects. It's entirely animation and hand painted/drawn assets completely faithful to the 1930's art it's based on. Even the "3D" pyramid in the background on Djimmi's stage was filmed with a stereoscopic rotary process like the 1930's cartoons it's trying to emulate. The only shortcut the studio took was digital coloring, because it's way faster and the end result is identical to painting the cells individually by hand.
I don't see that? Hell every single action is hand drawn unless this artbook is a lie or I'm blind. First time I hear Vanilla is using "puppet manipulation" as well.

iconmaster

Banned
I don't see that? Hell every single action is hand drawn unless this artbook is a lie or I'm blind. First time I hear Vanilla is using "puppet manipulation" as well.

Roughly 7:26 to 9:00 in the video you linked. That’s all done with programmatic warping of image parts. I don’t know what the art book is telling you but it’s pretty easy to tell.

Vanillaware pours an incredible amount of labor into their art, I won’t take that away from them. But they do take shortcuts on animation.

Top Bottom