• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cuphead |OT| 2 Cups 1 Screen

Teeth

Why am I not surprised that most of the OT so far is discussing the OT title lol xD

Game looks great. I'm terrible at shmups though. How many levels are shmups, as opposed to run-and-gun?

A little less than a quarter of the bosses are shmup style. If you count the levels and stuff, I'd say about 1/6 of the game is shmuppy.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
I've seen way more than enough of this game to know I'll enjoy it. Even with the addition of the Run'N'Guns, the "premium" feel of the bosses still seems retained. And with the heights the early game bosses get to, in terms of designs and wackiness, I feel pretty confident in the idea that the rest of the game will continue to deliver.

Gladly pre-ordered on XB1 alongside purchasing Sonic Mania, which gets something like $5 back in reward points. There might not have been a pre-order discount on the console, but that's a decent replacement.

And thank goodness for Local Co-Op! All the way back with Super Time Force, or even the XB1 release of Raiden V, that's something that just... needs to exist. I don't mind the lack of online. The caveats that often come with games like this via online play usually make such a thing feel sub-optimal VS local. To the point where catering to the online can negatively affect the online experience (such as forcing the imposition of movement restrictions, worse patterns, or slower button responses as a default, to help hide the lag online will inevitably introduce).

I really don't think the game looks incredibly hard either. I'm impressed by some of the restraint shown with the enemy patterns and attacks, the counterplay offered by things like shrinking in ship, or parrying anytime, and the length of a form encounter, when actually using your Supers properly. Good play seems to promote a nice pace, that even feels right when watching.

It's those kind of things, atop the gorgeous graphic style, that make me feel safe with buying this without hesitation. They clearly GET what made these types of games feel engrossing and fun to play. And that should be worth a lot more than the asking price.

Jacqli

I think that with my cold, I might even play the game worse than that journalist. But I need to try it tomorrow.

Ovid

Cross post

Hi everyone.

I was wondering my current laptop could run Cuphead. It's a MacBook Air with these specs: https://support.apple.com/kb/sp670?locale=en_US

I have 8GB of RAM and Win10 installed via Bootcamp.

The specs for Cuphead are as follows:

Processor: Intel Core2 Duo E8400, 3.0GHz or AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+, 3.0GHz or higher.
Memory: 2 GB RAM.
Graphics: Geforce 9600 GT or AMD HD 3870 512MB or higher.
DirectX: Version 9.0.
Storage: 20 GB available space.

What do you think?

Teeth

Cross post

Hi everyone.

I was wondering my current laptop could run Cuphead. It's a MacBook Air with these specs: https://support.apple.com/kb/sp670?locale=en_US

I have 8GB of RAM and Win10 installed via Bootcamp.

The specs for Cuphead are as follows:

What do you think?

Honestly, I'm not sure. To be safe, I might recommend waiting til after release to see if someone running bootcamp on similar specs has impressions.

If not that, if you buy on Steam, you can refund it if it doesn't work. Just watch your play time.

Rafroel

Honestly, I'm not sure. To be safe, I might recommend waiting til after release to see if someone running bootcamp on similar specs has impressions.

If not that, if you buy on Steam, you can refund it if it doesn't work. Just watch your play time.

Apologies for the hijack, but you may be able to help me! My laptop also runs on an Intel HD graphics card with shared VRAM - the dedicated portion is less than the 1GB requirements (128MB to be precise)... am I SOL? Just pre-ordered through GMG, and I'm wondering if I should get a refund before it unlocks...

Ovid

Thank you.

I never purchased anything from Steam. Why does playtime matter? How do they track it?

I have the exact same configuration of Macbook Air except in 11 inches. I'll test this weekend. Remind me if I forget.
Awesome!

I'll definitely send you a PM.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
Should we be nervous of the review embargo?

I figured this game would have reviews published days ago to increase hype???

Eh, if there's one game i can do without reviews it's this. Looks and sounds amazing, game may end up being a three hours pew pew only fest and I'd be ok with it, which is decent enough for such an experience and price. Unless it turns out to be the biggest hoax of the year, which is highly unlikely

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Was going to hold off but couldn’t.

Once I heard the devs story I simply had to support them. It only cost me $25AU for fuck’s sake.

I’m just pissed it’s the 29th here and it’s not unlocked

Was good ng to hold off but couldn’t.

Once I heard the devs story I simply had to support them. It only cost me $25AU for fuck’s sake.

I’m just pissed it’s the 29th here and it’s not unlocked

100% with you on supporting the devs. Plus I think they'll work their asses off to give this game some legs after all they sacrificed for it. I am hopeful we have a gem incoming.

Yukinari

Eh, if there's one game i can do without reviews it's this. Looks and sounds amazing, game may end up being a three hours pew pew only fest and I'd be ok with it, which is decent enough for such an experience and price. Unless it turns out to be the biggest hoax of the year, which is highly unlikely

The part thats probably going to hurt this game is the run and gun levels.

We have so many franchises with quality sidescrolling shooting gameplay to compare those levels to.

The game is legit hard, its fun but its hard. Yall will see. Its that good type of hard though when you learn and start whooping some tail you feel like an idiot when you were dying.

RoyalFool

Banned
The game is legit hard, its fun but its hard. Yall will see. Its that good type of hard though when you learn and start whooping some tail you feel like an idiot when you were dying.

Did we play the same game? It commits the rookie mistake of creating scenarios where the player blames the game way too often. It's nowhere near the punch out style harsh but fair boss mechanics I was expecting.

But maybe I'm just old and past it.

This is going to be great. I can't wait. Common Cupdevs. How about an EST midnight release tonight. Like...pretty please. I'll rub the cup handle. :D

Finalow

I forgot how to jump and dash while playing all these modern games, I don't think I can't get past that unforgiving merciless tutorial without a few hours of practice.

kudos to Dean for completing it in only 3 minutes

Top Bottom