• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cuphead |OT| 2 Cups 1 Screen

Justinh

Love how the devil can hit you with absolutely nothing if he does his snake head thing going from right to left. Such bullshit. Ends so many S attempts and A+ for that matter because it's infuriating.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3b_0SoeULpg&feature=youtu.be

People in that love drunk phase where the game can do no wrong despite the many bullshit scenarios it throws at you.
That stuff was driving me nuts.
I just could not figure out why I was taking a hit from that part. It happened over an over again so I would start recording it to see if I just wasn't seeing something else (I usually do this when I have trouble with bosses to help me figure out tells), I guess I totally missed that he makes waves that you could just hide under.
[
Also, I never even thought of
ducking under the two arm slap, lol. I'd just jump and dash over it to stay mid-air just long enough until he retracted
(glad there's an easier way, the timing for jumping and dashing was really strict).

Mupod

finally picked this up yesterday, as a longtime fan of 'boss rush' games like Contra Hard Corps and Alien Soldier I was looking forward to it, but had no time. Even though this game is shaping up to be pretty short for me, I'm a good ways into the third island with around 3 hours played.

I started off using lobber/chaser and switched to the charge shot once I unlocked it. I was a little perplexed at the sheer damage output considering it was killing the candy boss' summons in like 4 hits. But the other two aforementioned games in this genre had blatantly OP weapons too so I just shrugged and moved on. Interesting to see that the devs think it needs to be toned down but I wouldn't have known that if I hadn't checked this thread, so I'm gonna keep on playing as I was.

Hardest boss for me so far was maybe the bird? But that was only because I wasn't sure if he was taking damage in the final phase and kept getting immediately hit by random crap from his mouth when I was trying to tell if his body was flashing or not. Once I realized I didn't need to wait for the heart to come out I beat him that attempt.

Easiest was the boat guy. I beat him on the first try and the only hit I took was when he sucker punched me with that beam out of nowhere.

Favorite is definitely the genie, everything looks incredible. Dragon was fun too once I stopped being stupid and watched the little fireballs to see what direction they jump.

gweemz

Beat the game! Loved it. How am I supposed to parry
on the cards for King Dice? I am able to parry on one of the pink cards, but always end up getting hit.

Was having a blast with this, got it running on my mid-2012 Macbook, but now it just keeps freezing at
the Genie level
and I don't think I'll be able to continue for the foreseeable future.

PSqueak

Banned
Unlocked the B&W Filter before work today, it was so, so...easy?!

No, seriously i was expecting to be stuck doing this a lot, but it didn't take many tries for any of the levels.

This made me realize, when you're not shooting everything like a fucking maniac violent little mug, the last bit of Perilous Piers becomes so clear and you realize dodging the shrimps and pearls is not too hard.

Beat the game! Loved it. How am I supposed to parry
on the cards for King Dice? I am able to parry on one of the pink cards, but always end up getting hit.

if you try to
Parry from one card to the next as fast as you can in a single chain
you will get hit, the key here is
Parrying one card multiple times so you can adjust your momentum
, it's still tricky to pull perfectly.

Love how the devil can hit you with absolutely nothing if he does his snake head thing going from right to left. Such bullshit. Ends so many S attempts and A+ for that matter because it's infuriating.

People in that love drunk phase where the game can do no wrong despite the many bullshit scenarios it throws at you.

Edit: Also, for a bit of praise. The cigar mini boss my favorite in the game. Such wonderful animation.

Yeah, it's tricky to dodge that, but if you wait till the head comes just about all the way out, and duck under the last wave, the waves don't move and you can successfully avoid getting hit this way over and over.

Just beat the game. Anything that I got a little ragey with, something eventually struck me and I was like 'oooohh... alright, I get it, fine'. This game is great. Almost every battle feels impossible at first, and by the time you beat it, you've mastered all the phases and their attacks, even if you do get hit a few times in the chaos toward that final win.

So I'm really happy with it. Awesome game. Favorite game in a long time! Didn't even get the pleasure to play on Co-op.... boo. Maybe later someone can join and help me through expert mode, which I haven't touched yet.

Also, how does one get that black and white mode? The turtle implies some sort of pacifist run... I'm guessing on the run and gun stages, trying to get through without killing any enemies?

HiiiLife

Stepping away from this game and coming back later makes such a difference. Just breezed through two bosses on first try. Ones I struggled with.

The boat / pirate level was nice and manageable. Robot giving me major grief though. I think the fact that you don't see any change on his health bar makes it sort of frustrating.

gfxtwin

So without spoiling too much, after I finish world three and take the Phantom express, will the destination be another world map? Will I need to fight King Dice and the Devil all in one go, or are they separate boss fights? Can I go back to precious worlds at any time?

jholmes

So without spoiling too much, after I finish world three and take the Phantom express, will the destination be another world map? Will I need to fight King Dice and the Devil all in one go, or are they separate boss fights? Can I go back to precious worlds at any time?

1. Ehh, yes?
  2. Separate
  3. Yep!

Yeef

The boat / pirate level was nice and manageable. Robot giving me major grief though. I think the fact that you don't see any change on his health bar makes it sort of frustrating.
I had a hard time with the robot the first time. Like you, I thought the retry screen not showing how far along you were was both frustrating and cute (it's a robot, so of course it's binary).
The trick is in how you sequence your attacks in the first stage. I like to focus fire the antenna first, then time it so that the other two parts go down at the same time. By then you should have enough super for a bomb to take out the heart. The 2nd and th3rd stages are both easy and pretty boring, if I'm being honest.

Lijik

took a break for a few days, but now that im back in the saddle ive finally got the first phase down pretty well in the robot fight. the final phase keeps kicking my butt though.

im always near the end when i die on that phase so at least i know that knockouts in sight

I'm sorry if posted already found it funny :D

hhvn2sgp4brz.jpg

dankir

The Medusa fight is TIER AAA BULLSHIT

The stone mechanic is unfair, and goes against everything Cuphead taught so far.

You can literally avoid it by going up right to her face. You should be doing that most of the fight unloading bombs and your main attack. She was pretty easy on expert.

Dr Khan's robot though... fuck its not even a crazy bullet hell I keep moving back into bullets that I've passed already!!!

Bah!

eso76

So, I was one of those who thought this was a case of all style, little substance (which, mind you, would have still been ok for me, because a 'style' this great is enough to warrant a purchase from me anyway).

Turns out it's my favourite game this year and an instant classic.
Masterpiece even.

That's not to say the presentation isn't important (best graphics and best OST this gen certainly have an impact :p) but the gameplay beneath those is solid with a deep understanding of what makes a game fun, challenging and rewarding.

Whatever you guys do next, i'll have a copy.
I can preorder right now

Any control tweaks that improve the gameplay? Playing with an Xbox One pad on PC.

Dash and super on triggers helped tremendously for me.

I had a hard time with the robot the first time. Like you, I thought the retry screen not showing how far along you were was both frustrating and cute (it's a robot, so of course it's binary).
The trick is in how you sequence your attacks in the first stage. I like to focus fire the antenna first, then time it so that the other two parts go down at the same time. By then you should have enough super for a bomb to take out the heart. The 2nd and th3rd stages are both easy and pretty boring, if I'm being honest.

Third phase is hard as hell. I do not / have not played bullet hell games and it feels like I've just been told I'm late for an exam in the class I didn't realize I'd enrolled in. Still stuck on it :/

Nabs

I suck at the bullet hell stages, but I've had good luck by staying as far back as possible. It helps with the last parts of Maria and Robot.

jb1234

Beat it. JESUS, that final boss is rough. I never felt like I got particularly great at him and mostly just won out of luck. That and switching to the spreadshot helped for his final phase with all the enemies.

(I never used the charge shot. I'm pretty proud about this.)

Died 277 times. Lots and lots of resets though, especially near the end.

NEO0MJ

ducking under the two arm slap, lol. I'd just jump and dash over it to stay mid-air just long enough until he retracted
(glad there's an easier way, the timing for jumping and dashing was really strict).

Ducking in general is something I really should have learned to use more.

With Cagney Carnation, I've noticed if the first attack is the neck extending attack (as opposed to turning into a gun), the roar sound will get stuck on a loop and I'll have to retry, as the sound is horrible on a loop! I think it's more likely to occur if the attack goes low, as opposed to high? It has been a reoccurring issue, even playing the game across multiple days. (The flower is evil, okay.) ETA: Yeah, I don't seem to have the problem if the attack goes high.

gfxtwin

I'm near the end of the game and still thirsty for more. Some stuff that I'd love to see in the sequel:

- Intro and ending that are full-on cartoons in that 30's style. Don't need to be long, maybe a minute or two, but it would be amazing to see and would fit the presentation of this game perfectly.

- Same overall game design: three or four worlds, bosses and platform levels on each to clear, etc. But what if you were required to beat platforming stages before tackling each boss? Don't know how many would be a reasonable amount to make. From a player perspective it seems like two platforming stages and then a boss that you unlock would be ideal, but that also feels like it would take a hell of a long time to make, dunno. One platform stage per boss would be amazing to see too and the game would feel plenty "complete" as a platformer to me. Go through a platformer level, with a mini boss at the end. Beat it and a roadblock disappears, letting you access the boss (which I hope would still be represented by those squiggly large objects on the map).

- In addition to more platform/run and gun levels, boss fights, shmup levels, and the ghost-parrying minigames (or whatever may or may not replace them in the sequel), how cool would it be to have puzzle stages too? Seems like there are tons of directions you could go in with the hyper creative/surreal 30's animation style.

Still, everything in the first game is so quality and I have a few bosses remaining. Don't see myself getting tired of playing and then replaying to unlock stuff any time soon, but kinda fun to think about what might be next.

eso76

- In addition to more platform/run and gun levels, boss fights, shmup levels, and the ghost-parrying minigames (or whatever may or may not replace them in the sequel), how cool would it be to have puzzle stages too? Seems like there are tons of directions you could go in with the hyper creative/surreal 30's animation style.

The studio said before they're throwing around a few ideas for their next game and they'd like to explore different animation styles that haven't been done in videogames before.
But with Cuphead being a commercial success i can see them doing Cuphead 2 and they'd be able to reuse a few assets i think ?

CloudWolf

Edit: Also, for a bit of praise. The cigar mini boss my favorite in the game. Such wonderful animation.

You can duck under the hand slap? ...Fuck

Anyway, about that snake thing. It's annoying, but once you know that it happens, you can easily avoid taking damage by jumping up as soon as the head moves away.

Yeah, doing the laser first is mandatory basically. I did it like this: Laser -> Lower body with the planes, then just focus all of your fire on the chest/heart area with occassionally moving an inch down to shoot down any bombs as soon as they appear. Don't use any supers or EX's during the first phase and you can kill the second phase almost instantly by just using your super once. If you don't kill the laser first, it becomes a lot harder. The third phase is where shit gets real if you never play bullet hell games (which I don't).

So I do really, really like what this game is doing, 2 bosses down in the second island after 100% the first. I don't normally enjoy so-called 'hardcore' games where the difficulty is a huge part of the enjoyment, I could reduce the difficulty but I'd feel unaccomplished if I did so I've beaten all the bosses so far on the regular difficulty. Had some ups and downs, game hasn't been truly frustrating (yet) and it does have that "NEXT time for sure!" thing about it. Art style is amazing of course, and I like the customisation options as well as the non-linearity of it all. Oh and the run and gun sections are surprisingly enjoyable too.

So it's been great so far but I can only take so much of it at a time unfortunately. The frustration is never the overwhelming emotion I feel but it will probably be what ends up holding the game back for me.

gfxtwin

The studio said before they're throwing around a few ideas for their next game and they'd like to explore different animation styles that haven't been done in videogames before.
But with Cuphead being a commercial success i can see them doing Cuphead 2 and they'd be able to reuse a few assets i think ?

Most likely. Some stuff might only need to be tweaked at most. But most of the game - environments, bosses, sidescrolling enemy types, etc - would probably need to be done from scratch. But the important thing is that Cuphead was a groundbreaking game with a visual style that had never been attempted before. Even many of the artists on the team said they were never classically trained and figured it out as they went along. Now that that've made the game and pulled it off wonderfully, it shouldn't have as steep of a curve going into a sequel I'd imagine. Even if there is more content, development time might not be significantly longer, if longer at all.

Mdk7

You can duck under the hand slap? ...Fuck

Anyway, about that snake thing. It's annoying, but once you know that it happens, you can easily avoid taking damage by jumping up as soon as the head moves away.

Yeah, doing the laser first is mandatory basically. I did it like this: Laser -> Lower body with the planes, then just focus all of your fire on the chest/heart area with occassionally moving an inch down to shoot down any bombs as soon as they appear. Don't use any supers or EX's during the first phase and you can kill the second phase almost instantly by just using your super once. If you don't kill the laser first, it becomes a lot harder. The third phase is where shit gets real if you never play bullet hell games (which I don't).
This X1000 times

jedezel

Neo Member

Same here, I missed so many times the timing... And then, I saw someone just ducking and it blew my mind.

Top Bottom