• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cuphead |OT| 2 Cups 1 Screen

Wozzer

BwxNa9X.png

Iis158w.png

Official Website
Official Twitter
Platform: Xbox One, Windows (Steam/Windows Store)
Release Date: 29th September 2017 (6:00 a.m. PT)
Publisher/Developer: StudioMDHR Entertainment
Genre: Platformer, Run and Gun
Rating: E (Everyone) | 3 PEGI
Price: $19.99 | £14.99
Size: 11 GB

PC Minimum Specifications
  • Processor: Intel Core2 Duo E8400, 3.0GHz or AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+, 3.0GHz or higher
  • Memory: 2 GB RAM
  • Graphics: Geforce 9600 GT or AMD HD 3870 512MB or higher
  • DirectX: Version 9.0
  • Storage: 20 GB available space

lxKv8GL.png

Cuphead is a classic run and gun action game heavily focused on boss battles. Inspired by cartoons of the 1930s, the visuals and audio are painstakingly created with the same techniques of the era, i.e. traditional hand drawn cel animation, watercolor backgrounds, and original jazz recordings.

Play as Cuphead or Mugman (in single player or local co-op) as you traverse strange worlds, acquire new weapons, learn powerful super moves, and discover hidden secrets while you try to pay your debt back to the devil! The game features a branching level sequence and is based around continuous boss fights. The levels are accessible through an action RPG-style overworld with its own secret areas.

f2KwWu2.png

dgnfcIS.gif
qaHEbE5.gif
4Zb3G5f.gif
YVR6Si1.gif
ccugRH5.gif

LEALlui.png

Metacritic - 86
OpenCritic - 88

The review thread can be found here.

QFvLelA.png

Is this an Xbox Play Anywhere supported title?
Yup, but as always you'll have to play it through the Windows Store on PC.

So this is a boss rush game, right?
The first iteration was solely a boss rush game. Years of delays gave opportunity to add in a slew of platforming levels. The developers consider the game to be roughly 75% bosses and 25% platforming levels.

How about multiplayer; can I use the interwebs?
Afraid not. The internet wasn't a thing back in the 1930's, so you're going to have to stick with two cups on one screen for local co-op goodness. The developers have hinted at online support post release though!

The weird color separation hurts my eyes!
Fear not there's a chromatic aberration slider that should allow you to turn it all the way off, or blast it up to 11.

Is this the Dark Souls of...
Please stop right there. Sure yup, its considered a tough one and there's that popular journalist video doing the rounds but the developers coin it ”tough but fair". Cuphead has its roots in classic arcade-style games, games that really made you earn success. Also to get past that first jump in the tutorial, try jumping off the rock and dashing!

Does this game have one of those horrible streaming policies?
It sure does! But it's not one of those restrictive and odd ones. You can read it in full here, but essentially go wild and share the beauty of Cuphead with everyone and anyone.

c0lKl6L.png

NsHkMmp.png

Raptomex

Is this the Contra of... Modern sidescrolling run and gun shooters? /s
I hope so. I love Contra.

Already pre-ordered. Can't wait.

jbug617

Banned
Great work on the OT. Super excited to play this. I hope they sell a lot because of all the hard work they put in.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Perhaps the thread title is actually informing people about the lack of online co-op

Anyway, I'm day one-ing in this game tomorrow. Been waiting for years!

MadMod

Don't know why everyones hating on the OT, I find it hilarious haha. Anyway, can't wait for this! Unfortunately, i'll have to wait for a Mac/PS4 release.

Who the hell choose this OT title?

The most beautiful game of all time is now tied to one of the most disgusting videos of all time.

2 Cups, 1 Terrible OT Title.

That has to be the worst OT title I've seen in a while lol.

So ready for the game!

Wack as fuck OT title. Come on now. This game deserves better.

That thread title though 😞

awful title aside, can't wait!

gaf sure loves terrible ot titles

Y'all are a bit too upset at a hilarious and informative title. No fun allowed.

Wozzer

Perhaps the thread title is actually informing people about the lack of online co-op

Bingo! Sorry for those not keen on the title, I couldn't help myself, it fit too well.

reminder that I came up with "Runneth and Gunneth Over" as a title and everybody loved it

Also loved it, and was very very close to being the title of choice. The pull to have an informative title, and an eye catching reference as an aside, was too strong.

Megatron

Come on, thats the OT title? A reference to a terrible meme from a decade ago about girls shitting in a cup? What were you thinking OP?

There were a lot of genuinely good ideas in the preview thread. My favorite was this one:

|OT| Grab a Straw (because you're gonna suck)

PM a mod and do the right thing, OP.

Famassu

This game looks in-fucking-sanely incredible. Like holy fuck how does a game that looks like this even exist. :O

Top Bottom