• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cuphead |OT| 2 Cups 1 Screen

Here's the problem with the Charge shot - at this point, it is universally the best weapon in every situation. That is not the way it's supposed to be. Each weapon should have its own situational use.

The goal is to have the charge shot be situationally the best weapon but not universally the best weapon. The goal is to make you want to switch out your weapon depending on which boss or level you are on.

Due to the design of most bosses, the only general weakness of the Charge shot is when there are a ton of fast moving enemies on the screen at once that you have to clear out, which rarely happens.

Additionally, it allows you "package" or "save" damage during invincible portions/transitions, which no other weapons can, and its base level of damage is too high anyway. Being able to crush a boss within 45 seconds with the charge shot alone, while the next fastest weapon taking 1:20 means it's broken, flat out.

so what are you guys going to do after you nerf the charge shot and people realize that getting in close with the spread shot is the new best thing to do in the game

because if you nerf that so help me God

Taramoor

So what’s the best way to bring Charge in line with the other weapons?

1. Damage reduction
2. Longer Charge time
3. More actions that break charge (Jumping?)
4. Reduce range
5. Beam backfires if you hold the charge too long, costing you a heart
6. Lock you in position while charging, like holding RB.

jviggy43

Can you get S rankings in the run and gun stages? I hit all yellow marks but can only get As.

-HoQd-Ga_3YIF_tWac1VSqHZNaHLFsRjilOmpN9w0nk.png

1upsuper

Finally had time to finish Cuphead tonight. What a stellar game! I'll post more thoughts at some point but for now I'll just post my stats.

My final death count was 266, but this was with me repeating each boss until I got at least an A- rank before moving on, doing the same for the run 'n guns (sans two stages I just could not A rank for some reason), and then
completing pacifist runs of all the run 'n guns.

I'll definitely put some time into expert and pick up the last few achievements.

Teeth

so what are you guys going to do after you nerf the charge shot and people realize that getting in close with the spread shot is the new best thing to do in the game

because if you nerf that so help me God

Nothing, that's how you're supposed to use the spread. It already has higher DPS than the charge, but the charge can deliver it from anywhere and package damage during down time. There's no risk in charge, that's the problem. Also, lobber can package damage in certain situations at a higher rate than charge, but the key is "in certain situations".

Charge is getting a straight damage nerf. It's not immense (maybe 8-10% down) with maybe a little fiddling with other weapons by 1 or 2% to keep things in line.

If your favourite weapon is charge, it'll probably still be charge after the patch. But you'll know that the other options are more competitive than before.

Ravelle

I beat the entire game without charge shot because the one time I used it, it was immediately noticeable how broken it was. Don't trivialize the game by leaning on an unbalanced crutch.

Considering how much the game fucks me over a hundred times over I would be fine doing the same.

Nothing, that's how you're supposed to use the spread. It already has higher DPS than the charge, but the charge can deliver it from anywhere and package damage during down time. There's no risk in charge, that's the problem. Also, lobber can package damage in certain situations at a higher rate than charge, but the key is "in certain situations".

Charge is getting a straight damage nerf. It's not immense (maybe 8-10% down) with maybe a little fiddling with other weapons by 1 or 2% to keep things in line.

If your favourite weapon is charge, it'll probably still be charge after the patch. But you'll know that the other options are more competitive than before.

I always figured the risk in it is that it's a single, straight shot that takes a long time to charge, so you often have to go out of your way or put yourself at risk to set up a good shot. The bosses where it would seem unbalanced are the ones where you have an easy shot, but at that point why wouldn't you use the spread since it actually does a better job?

Teeth

I always figured the risk in it is that it's a single, straight shot that takes a long time to charge, so you often have to go out of your way or put yourself at risk to set up a good shot. The bosses where it would seem unbalanced are the ones where you have an easy shot, but at that point why wouldn't you use the spread since it actually does a better job?

But you never have to put yourself at a greater risk than you would with any other shot. Quite the opposite. With most of the bosses, you are jumping around and weaving through hazards, unable to fully commit your play to dealing damage. With the charge shot, you can be charging, fire off a shot that does as much damage as the sustained fire of any other weapon. And you can do it from anywhere.

Think of the bosses most people struggle on; it's always bosses where continual movement reduces their damage time (the bee, dragon ph2, pirate, clown, etc) or where continual shots create hazards (dragon ph3)- the charge has clear advantages in the ability to package DPS into a single shot. Hitting the boss is rarely hard, and if it is, it's harder to sustain damage on them than to land a single hit.

With spread you have to hit with all of the bullets to actually have the high DPS and you have to sustain it continuously. That means you have to be close. That puts you in danger. No such problem with charge.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Anyone notice minor stuttering or dropped frames on Xbox One?

I see it while playing but can't pick it up using a frame-rate analyzer and each frame looks unique. It doesn't seem to appear in the capture - almost like the issue is happening on the display, which makes no sense.

I see it while playing but can't pick it up using a frame-rate analyzer and each frame looks unique. It doesn't seem to appear in the capture - almost like the issue is happening on the display, which makes no sense.

Not Xbox, but I get intermittent stutters that are registered by Steam's framecounter. They don't seem to happen with any rhyme or reason though, and not in a way that can be replicated. Like maybe on retry #9 or #15 one bit of the fight will stutter but it won't happen ever again.

tauke

Game do stutter occasionally but not frequent for me. Playing on Steam with fullscreen windowed with V-Sync.

Also left one more run and gun stage for the Pacifist achievement.

Some acquaintances mentioned suffering from weird frame pacing issues on their Xbone version and it's been quite erratic for me on Steam as well, where sometimes it's (temporarily) remedied after rebooting the game or sometimes it briefly goes away by itself. Severity varies, since it's never really in the same spots on a consistent basis either. This is with and without v-sync enabled, either in windowed or full-screen mode.

Stoze

There's something extra surreal about seeing a Magikoopa or Pac-Man inspired enemy in this game. Like my brain is telling me this shouldn't be possible because they didn't exist in the 20s/30s.

Also left one more run and gun stage for the Pacifist achievement.
If it's the pier, uh, have fun. I got all achievements and doing the pier pacifist is definitely the single hardest thing I did in this game.

But you never have to put yourself at a greater risk than you would with any other shot. Quite the opposite. With most of the bosses, you are jumping around and weaving through hazards, unable to fully commit your play to dealing damage. With the charge shot, you can be charging, fire off a shot that does as much damage as the sustained fire of any other weapon. And you can do it from anywhere.

Think of the bosses most people struggle on; it's always bosses where continual movement reduces their damage time (the bee, dragon ph2, pirate, clown, etc) or where continual shots create hazards (dragon ph3)- the charge has clear advantages in the ability to package DPS into a single shot. Hitting the boss is rarely hard, and if it is, it's harder to sustain damage on them than to land a single hit.

With spread you have to hit with all of the bullets to actually have the high DPS and you have to sustain it continuously. That means you have to be close. That puts you in danger. No such problem with charge.

Sustaining damage for every other weapon usually means holding the fire button down and paying it little to no mind while you do so. Actually getting the highest possible DPS for the charge shot requires just a bit more multitasking, since you have to get into a rhythm and time out pressing and releasing the button perfectly. I have my doubts about many low/mid-level players actually getting that constant 40DPS through perfect timing on fights like Captain Brineybeard or Grim Matchstick when they have so many other things to worry about on top of that.

I'm not going to act like it doesn't trivialize some fights (and I'm not really that affected by the change since I favor the spread in most cases), but I'd argue that other weapons do their fair share of that as well, and it's probably easier to do so in those cases. My one legitimate concern about the nerf is how it would effect coop. I already found myself failing to kill enemies that would normally take a single shot (the barnacle-like things in Perilous Pier come to mind), and I'm worried that it would make it less viable in cases beyond that.

Anyway, I also wanted to float this by you and see if you could provide any insight.

Izuna

Banned

Don't know about Xbox, but I was able to pick up stuttering when using a 144hz monitor non GSync.

Other than that, PC is solid af.

It might be the filter tricking you.

CloudWolf

Fuck yeah, beat the Devil! In total it took me 37 hours and >1100 deaths, but I persevered and it feels so good to finally beat that final boss.

Gonna take some time to get my sanity back and then back in for those A and S-ratings.

FinKL

Should I just beat the game before they nerf charge shot?

How does one get it I'm in world 2 and the shop doesn't sell it

tauke

There's something extra surreal about seeing a Magikoopa or Pac-Man inspired enemy in this game. Like my brain is telling me this shouldn't be possible because they didn't exist in the 20s/30s.

If it's the pier, uh, have fun. I got all achievements and doing the pier pacifist is definitely the single hardest thing I did in this game.

The pier was pretty straightforward once I got the extra two hearts and dozens of muscle memory retry to survive to the end (and left one more HP to reach the end lol).

The cliff was giving me trouble until I realise that
I can parry the bloody face thingy on the wall. That blew my mind as I was trying to dodge the spit and the goatman keep fucking up my pacing. :(

Should I just beat the game before they nerf charge shot?

How does one get it I'm in world 2 and the shop doesn't sell it

It should be one of the default items sold in the shop when you first visit it if I'm not mistaken. If not, try buying a few more stuff and it should be in the rotation list.

There is a patch coming out ?

btw the bee was a pain in the ass, too much element on screen, always jump down because I forgot to not press down to jump after crouching and the last part is basically horrible if I didn't swap to the boomerang shot

Coreda

It should be one of the default items sold in the shop when you first visit it if I'm not mistaken. If not, try buying a few more stuff and it should be in the rotation list.

I needed to buy two weapons from the shop before it showed up. Still don't have enough for it yet.

Stoze

The pier was pretty straightforward once I got the extra two hearts and dozens of muscle memory retry to survive to the end (and left one more HP to reach the end lol).
Yeah the ending is brutal. I did smoke dash instead of two hearts, it felt like it would take too long on retries for me otherwise but maybe that was a mistake in the long run.

Justinh

Finally beat it after 20 hours of play and way too many deaths lol.

almost 500

This game is seriously great. I think the bosses that gave me the most rage was probably Beppi, candy lady, and the junkyard fight.

End of the pier drove me crazy because I had no clue what I supposed to be doing. So I recorded it with background recording and figured it out after watching it over a few times. A great thing to do if you're ever stuck anywhere in this game. It's always easier to see what's going on/what you should be doing when you're not playing and just watching. I needed to do that for Beppi and Matchstick too.

btw the bee was a pain in the ass, too much element on screen, always jump down because I forgot to not press down to jump after crouching and the last part is basically horrible if I didn't swap to the boomerang shot

this was another boss for which I used a weapon that moved downward, the Lobber. It helped a lot with the beginning and final parts, I think. It also takes out those drone bees flying by with one shot.

I’m seriously gonna take my Xbox offline until I beat this. I won’t lose fast weapon switching before I finish this run

Can't you just uncheck auto-update and decline it when it pops up? That's what I was planning to do, but if it's still possible to have the game update then I'll just take unplug the ethernet cable lol. It's funny because I haven't even used charge yet.

FinKL

Woops spent all my coins on charms. I had to have Spread and Chaser

Anustart

Discovered a slight bug/inconsistency.

Your rating for a boss seems to be determined the instant the boss dies. I beat Baroness von bon bon meeting every criteria, 1:01, 3 health, 3 parries, 6/6 super. But only got an A.

Difference was my third parry was after the boss died and a peppermint was still rolling about. I parried it in desperation.

I definitely noticed it skipping a frame or two here and there. Mostly in Run & Gun levels.

Imur

Just started it. Played for 2 minutes, fell into the first big pit - changed the controls. Dash on RT and aim on LT feels so much better for now. Had a lot of fun in Level 1.

I read a little bit in the Thread and I think I really should buy the charged shot ASAP. Anything else I should know?

jviggy43

Considering how much the game fucks me over a hundred times over I would be fine doing the same.

I'm going through on expert trying to get S on everything right now and I still have yet to get in a situation where I felt the game fucked me over, where it wasn't my fault.

Anustart

I'm going through on expert trying to get S on everything right now and I still have yet to get in a situation where I felt the game fucked me over, where it wasn't my fault.

Parrying seeds against Cagney is pretty bullshit. Bounce way up but another seed spawns, boom, free hit.

jviggy43

Parrying seeds against Cagney is pretty bullshit. Bounce way up but another seed spawns, boom, free hit.

Wait for them to come down further, theres usually a pause between the pink one and when they start to drop again. Additionally, you can let them spawn the floating flowers, and parry their shots in second phase for a much easier parry. Lastly parrying the pink shots on third phase give you more than enough opportunity to get 3 if youre having trouble with the first phase.

Finally beat it with 314 deaths, 9 hours. Amazing game. Only a few minor quibbles:

-Foreground objects on a couple of bosses are a little too large or frequent.
-A few hitbox issues, mostly while jumping.

Overall, a fantastic experience.

And as a side note, it's nice to see some of the elitist douchebags on this forum coming out of the woodwork to tell others how to enjoy the game they bought. I'm forecasting this will be the seeds of the eventual backlash against the game, as people forget how wonderful it looks and just have others push the difficulty in their faces.

Looking forward to it. I give it a couple of weeks.

NEO0MJ

The most I feel the game is unfair is when I'm hit after using Super I. They really should give you just enough invincibility to dodge the next hit. I just stopped using it all together because of this.

And as a side note, it's nice to see some of the elitist douchebags on this forum coming out of the woodwork to tell others how to enjoy the game they bought. I'm forecasting this will be the seeds of the eventual backlash against the game, as people forget how wonderful it looks and just have others push the difficulty in their faces.

Whenever a game is sold as hard people like to feel that they're awesome and spacial gamers for beating it.

jviggy43

Finally beat it with 314 deaths, 9 hours. Amazing game. Only a few minor quibbles:

-Foreground objects on a couple of bosses are a little too large or frequent.
-A few hitbox issues, mostly while jumping.

Overall, a fantastic experience.

Who is doing that? Because if youre referring to me my point was never telling people how to play the game as much as it was pointing out that the developers never intended a gimmick to be in the game which trivializes most of the fights. Thats why its getting patched. Its better to get used to life without it now.

Justinh

Can someone explain the "Super Meter" rating to me? It's starting to really get on my nerves.

I know I've gotten 6/6 a lot of times, but thinking back, right now I'm not sure what I did to get them or what exactly it is that it's looking for.

I've been replaying the theatre boss a lot today trying to get the rest of the As I need for Isle III: and if I hoard my meter and not use anything so it's full, I get 0/6. If I try to use 6 meter by using an EX move and a super at the end I'll get 0/6. I just finished up a run where I used a super earlier than I would like in the fight, built it back up to full, and I got... 1/6.

Anustart

Can someone explain the "Super Meter" rating to me? It's starting to really get on my nerves.

I know I've gotten 6/6 a lot of times, but thinking back, right now I'm not sure what I did to get them or what exactly it is that it's looking for.

I've been replaying the theatre boss a lot today trying to get the rest of the As I need for Isle III: and if I hoard my meter and not use anything so it's full, I get 0/6. If I try to use 6 meter by using an EX move and a super at the end I'll get 0/6. I just finished up a run where I used a super earlier than I would like in the fight, built it back up to full, and I got... 1/6.

You have to use 6 cards worth of EX during the stage.

ScOULaris

Here's the problem with the Charge shot - at this point, it is universally the best weapon in every situation. That is not the way it's supposed to be. Each weapon should have its own situational use.

The goal is to have the charge shot be situationally the best weapon but not universally the best weapon. The goal is to make you want to switch out your weapon depending on which boss or level you are on.

Due to the design of most bosses, the only general weakness of the Charge shot is when there are a ton of fast moving enemies on the screen at once that you have to clear out, which rarely happens.

Additionally, it allows you "package" or "save" damage during invincible portions/transitions, which no other weapons can, and its base level of damage is too high anyway. Being able to crush a boss within 45 seconds with the charge shot alone, while the next fastest weapon taking 1:20 means it's broken, flat out.

I agree with all of this, of course, but I'm still curious to know how this wasn't apparent during development. Why did this not become clear until post-release?

PSqueak

Banned
Finally made it to the casino, Island 3 Bosses were quite a ride
Fuck Dr. Kahl's Robot! Also, Sally Stageplay is the most hilarious boss in the game, lost it at the final fantasy parody.

In concept i like the idea of King Dice's fight
A mini game with a gauntlet of weak bosses
with the exception of
The drinks, which i just can't avoid their attacks and the horse who is easy but the foreground gets too much in the way
, also it's a bit of a problem that the space between each retry and you fighting the actual King Dice makes it hard to learn his pattern.

Funnily enough after seeing so many here complain about
the monkey
, i encountered a weird glitch in which
he died instantly after making the first match
so for a moment i thought all the complaints were sarcasm.

I agree with all of this, of course, but I'm still curious to know how this wasn't apparent during development. Why did this not become clear until post-release?

Im gonna guess because the final public obsess over ultimate optimization more than the devs, personally i have found a lot of bosses
like the phantom express
to be much more easier to kill with the Spread only than go charge shot, but thats because i (and many people and the devs) don't think in speed runner terms.

DukeBobby

Sigh... I dunno, maybe it's something with this specific boss right now or something, because like I said I made a point to try exactly that (in two different ways) and I got 0/6 and 1/6.

I think that boss might be a bit bugged. I used about 10 EX attacks and ended up with 4/6. I still managed to get an A with that score, though.

Justinh

Finally made it to the casino, Island 3 Bosses were quite a ride
Fuck Dr. Kahl's Robot!

and the horse who is easy but the foreground gets too much in the way
Funnily enough after seeing so many here complain about
the monkey
, i encountered a weird glitch in which
he died instantly after making the first match
so for a moment i thought all the complaints were sarcasm.

I agree with the first two spoilers lol. I hated that first guy. I still hate him, and I'm not looking forward to hating him again for an A, lol.

I had that same glitch with
the monkey. It was right after a glitch I had where when I matched ALL the cards, nothing happened and he just floated around forever. I had to retry which was really, really annoying since I had to start back at the beginning again. It felt good to see him just piss off when I got only one match the second time I faced him. Luckily, I was shrunk down when he left so I got the P-26 achievement too.

I think that boss might be a bit bugged. I used about 10 EX attacks and ended up with 4/6. I still managed to get an A with that score, though.

Hmmm, at least it's not just me, I guess. Thanks

Who is doing that? Because if youre referring to me my point was never telling people how to play the game as much as it was pointing out that the developers never intended a gimmick to be in the game which trivializes most of the fights. Thats why its getting patched. Its better to get used to life without it now.

I'm not calling anyone in particular out, but you do seem to have thrown yourself into that group.

Top Bottom