• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cuphead out September 29th for $19.99 (XB1/Windows 10 and Steam)

Permanently A

H5Z5OKv.gif

this gif just sent me on a long ass tangent discovering christian churches in india and mixtape jokes

I've been waiting for this game FOR YEARS

however the $20 price tag (great because I'm cheap) has me worried this game won't be longer than 30 minutes

Lazaro

Also coming to Linux and Mac although not immediately from what I understand.

But this a definitely a title I would get via XPA but a gog version is also tempting.

Apt101

Cool, it feels like it's been in development for a long time - maybe they just previewed it earlier than most do.

Anyway, looks like the game to play / watch a stream of while stoned.

Kei-

If I own this through on Win10 store for the play anywhere functionality, am I able to play co-op with steam owners as well?

gfxtwin

It's mostly animating everything on "ones", which means there's a uniquely drawn frame for all 24fps of animation. Pretty much all Other animation is done on "twos" or "threes" to reduce the work load. Additionally, every frame is hand drawn and inked to maintain a sufficient level of roughness that gets polished out of modern animation.

You also have to do ridiculous stuff like animating every single frame of a rotating object, rather than relying on a single frame and rotating it in engine.

For the actual characters, we mimic the "rubber hose" look of the era, which is all the noodley arms and legs. The characters also generally bounce to an unheard beat instead of standing still.

Hand painting the backgrounds helps too.

Definitely mentioned some stuff I wasn't aware of. Thanks for putting in so much work to make a game that looks unlike any other, and perfectly captures the feel of the old popeye and disney cartoons I grew up on as a small child (that freaked me the hell out sometimes tbh). You guys are peers among the animators of those old timey cartoons as far as I'm concerned, and went above and beyond what I ever would've expected for a game with this visual style. Digging what I've seen of the the Contra-esque gameplay as well! Can't wait to play it in Sept.

Drey1082

My opinion that this is an ultimate wait and see game. It most definitely could be amazing, but to pre-order based on what we've seen so far, I don't know.

I played cuphead at sdcc 2015, it's been a long time coming

Was always a fan of the boss rush concept, could have added levels later or as an expansion but eh

GetLucky

So GAF, I'm not very tech savvy but I'd love to play this game. Would it run on a Surface Pro 3? And is there an easy way to hook up a Switch Pro Controller? Thanks!

cakely

Steam? Wow. I was expecting this to be a Windows 10 store exclusive.

Also, $20 bucks is a great price, I'll be picking this up on the Xbox One come September.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
In for the Steam version. Really curious about how this one will turn out. Nice price too.

Ultimadrago

Teeth, I was just talking to my friend about how crazy it is that this game is only $20. I don't know the full length, but knowing the animation process and seeing the content from past videos, it already looked like a title I would have been more than willing to pay more for.

Usually the case is that I see a smaller studio's game, I think it looks like a neat concept worth pursuing and the price tag potentially takes me back a bit (usually $40 or more). Obviously, some have proven this caution more incorrect than others. So why and how only $20?

Everything about this looks amazing but there is one thing that worries me, the jump looks weird, I can't quite put my finger on it but there is something about it that seems kind of imprecise

Reversed

IMO they should go aggressively with all the merchandising possibilities since the game looks aesthetically cool.

I'd buy a couple shirts of it.

Blindy

Day one and getting it for the XB1. Will be juggling this and Danganronpa 3 all in the same week, good mix.

Will there be online co op or strictly local?

Top Bottom