• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Current Thoughts - Nextgen

OrtizTwelve

Don't ask how I know this but based on my research this is the trend I am seeing so far:

- XBOX Series consoles are selling at around 1/3 the rate of what PlayStation 5 is selling at. (Favoring PlayStation)

- General consumer interest is very high in both platforms but currently favors PlayStation buy about 3:1 (estimate)

- The "easiest" console to obtain given high demand and availability appears to be XBOX Series S

- You have a higher chance of obtaining both XBOX Series consoles relative to securing a PS5

- Shipments of XBOX Series X and Series S are about equal, shipments of PS5 disc and digital is about 70% disc, 30% digital

- PS5 digital is the hardest console to obtain right now, you have a better chance of obtaining a disc version

- The average time either PS5 shows as in stock before it says out of stock is around 2 to 3 minutes

- The average time either XBOX Series shows as in stock before it says out of stock is around 5 to 7 minutes

- On launch day with Target online order with store pickup -- XBOX Series consoles sold out within 10 to 15 minutes

- On launch day with Target online order with store pickup -- PS5 sold out in less than 3 to 5 minutes

Just my estimates. Also, I am an XBOX fan.

To summarize: If you're looking for a next gen console you have the highest chance of scoring either XBOX Series console, particularly the Series S, and if you want a PS5 you have a better shot of actually succeeding ordering a disc version as opposed to digital assuming they're both available online for ordering.

If you want XBOX Series ---- highest chance successfully ordering a Series S assuming both versions are available.

if you want PS5 ---- highest chance successfully ordering a DISC version assuming both versions are available.

Something to think about when they sell out rapidly online.

Last edited:
giphy.gif

Last edited:

Texas Pride

Banned
You got a better chance of getting the fucking Rona vaccine than finding a PS5. It's beyond ridiculous. Stores are getting 1 or 2 in and having people fight over it like it's the fucking hunger games. Sony in particular should be straight up fucking shamed.

Last edited:

OrtizTwelve

Just curious on how you came up with those figures.

Did you base everything off poles or did you have access to some sales figures?

Publicly available information using an average of stock checkers, time an item says in stock before it says sold out, and polls across various different websites. Took forever but I was bored and it gave me something to exercise my brain.

Publicly available information using an average of stock checkers, time an item says in stock before it says sold out, and polls across various different websites. Took forever but I was bored and it gave me something to exercise my brain.

Cool I was just curious how you came up with them.

Thank you.

Aceofspades

Banned
I know that PS5 is at worldwide sellout situation , and I have never seen demand like this ever in my 25 years of gaming. Lots of my non hardcore gamers were posting PS5 pictures on their Snapchat or Instagram , I never expected them to get it year 1 let alone Day 1.

Its crazy .

Last edited:
I know that PS5 is at worldwide sellout situation , and I have never seen demand like this ever in my 25 years of gaming. Lots of my non hardcore gamers were posting PS5 pictures on their Snapchat or Instagram , I never expected them to get it year 1 let alone Day 1.

Its crazy .

I had a harder time getting a PS2 back in the day.

No problem, I thought it would be interesting. I'm not trying to stir the pot. I explicitly stated I am an XBOX fan but currently PlayStation has a large advantage with consumer interest and mindshare.

Definitely don't doubt that. After an extremely successful generation with the PS4 Sony has a ton of mind share right now. That's something that's going to be extremely difficult for anyone to topple. As we can see how little impact the misinformation had on what people think about the PS5.

TheMan

if both consoles are selling out within minutes, then wouldn't any sales advantage held by PS5 be down purely to stock?

LectureMaster

Gold Member
Do we have the sales numbers for global or at least for US?

From what I have read the 3:1 ratio is only for Japan's first week sale. And you know Xbox isn't strongest in Japan

Last edited:

point decay

I bought a Series X, but never for a minute thought it would get anywhere near the PS5 sales numbers. Sony are on a different level by comparison. Ultimately it seems like a common sense take.

Last edited:

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
Actually based on my research the opposite is true. PS5 digital is the easiest console to get with the the XSX being sold 3 to 1 more than the PlayStation.

To summarize: If you're looking for a next gen console you have the highest chance of scoring either PS5 console, particularly the digital, and if you want a Xbox you have a better shot of actually succeeding ordering a Series X as opposed to Series S assuming they're both available online for ordering.

I personally compiled publicly available information using an average of stock checkers, time an item says in stock before it says sold out, and polls across various different websites.

Ten_Fold

Well I’m glad I got my ps5 from PlayStation direct so that’s cool. I think ratchet and clank, Kena, are the games I’m looking forward to next year. Demon souls is amazing.

So now we're basing figures on just what the Polish say? How about asking other countries too?

Typo. I meant polls and not poles.

But to be honest I would love to hear what the poles have to say about this. But unfortunately they are hard as wood and incapable of answering us. I have proof of this.

images

OrtizTwelve

I’m pretty sure PlayStation will keep its advantage this gen over Xbox like last gen. I think most people are locked in their respective platforms with digital purchases and everything.

however it all depends on that little $299 Series S which is the wild card. We will see a year from now how it’s going. I also wouldn’t be surprised if this time next year there’s some sort of price reduction on Xbox series consoles. Fall 2021 calling it $399 series x and $199 series s. Sony is a toss up they usually don’t have to drop their console prices to keep selling them.

Last edited:
Top Bottom