• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Custom Cover Art - Minimalist, clean, or alternative box arts for your favorite games

Brofield

Has anyone made any covers for Wii U games yet?

I finally managed to track down a used copy of NFS: Most Wanted, but they didn't have the official sleeve, and I tried every google search I could think of to find one and print myself to no avail.

Would anyone be kind enough to make one for me? Minimalist or any other style would be great. Hell, I even have a vague idea of what I'd like, and if someone could direct me where I could find hi-res art assets to use, that'd be great.

Galdelico

I was wondering if there would be any interest in NeoGeo MVS custom shockbox-cover art.
I started doing a serie for a collector who seemed eager to box all his carts, but he quickly lost interest in it and now I'm stuck... Had fun doing the first ones, so if retro-GAF thinks they may be of some use I'd gladly put the ones I've done here and keep the work up (maybe according to specific requests?).

butman

This is my version one of my most anticipated games, Dark Souls II!
I done the Limited Edition version. I maded it dark and simple showing how your will feel in the game. Praise the sun!

iYNoycY.jpg

RedSwirl

I finally managed to track down a used copy of NFS: Most Wanted, but they didn't have the official sleeve, and I tried every google search I could think of to find one and print myself to no avail.

Would anyone be kind enough to make one for me? Minimalist or any other style would be great. Hell, I even have a vague idea of what I'd like, and if someone could direct me where I could find hi-res art assets to use, that'd be great.

Do we have a template?

This is my version one of my most anticipated games, Dark Souls II!
I done the Limited Edition version. I maded it dark and simple showing how your will feel in the game. Praise the sun!

iYNoycY.jpg

This is another one where I already like the official box art.

Phayze

Neo Member

Something like this? Click for the .zip with the full .png.

The template came from http://vgboxart.com, I think...

Brofield

Something like this? Click for the .zip with the full .png.

The template came from http://vgboxart.com, I think...

This actually exactly what I had in mind, and it is beautiful. Thank you.

Just for quick clarification. When printing this (or gamecube covers for that matter), so long as it's on A4 sized paper and centred, the number of pixels won't matter and the pictures will come out the right size? Or do I have to specify the image size when ordering? (gonna do this through Staples)

What template did you use for that? Maybe I could make it into a minimalist one.

A google search actually got me a post hidden deep in the middle of this thread here. It's the template I downloaded and it looks really good (despite the image link being dead, take my word for it).

Alright. Got a Wii U template for you guys.

wii-u-box-line-up.png

As you can see above, it includes:
  • The full package design with a white or yellow stripe.
  • Minimal design with blue bars only.
  • Extreme minimal design with only logos.
The full original design I modified comes from Preetard on Deviantart, awesome work.

Download the template: Here

Also, there's something a little weird I want to see if we can get fixed.

I tried to use the script converter for the Xbox 360 box for the Wii U box. I modified the template by changing the color of the box, but after I did that, some of the script was skipped and there is no shine on the front of the box. I assumed changing the color of an element wouldn't disrupt the script, but I guess it does.

Rengoku, if you're still around here, do you think you could help us out with a 3D Wii U box converter?

As we enter the twilight of this generation, I think I'm finally going to transition all my physical games into nicer, clear cases with this fancy artwork. Can't wait!

Also, we need to get some Vita love in this bitch!

Anyone have any covers for Shadow of the Colossus and GT4 on the PS2? These are the only games I'm missing boxes for and some good art would be great.

Zajora

This is probably too much work to be realistic, but wouldn't it be pretty awesome if there were thumbnails for all the covers in the OP?

Something like this..

jbgLNtiNuHcfaG.png

Afro Samurai

Alice: Madness Returns
ib0GivLXLB4VR4.png
iCgxmu3EtQvkw.png
jWs0O7YFyQDI0.png

Batman: Arkham City
ibvq9KR5fXywgK.png

Dark Souls:
iNgesS5hM18JY.png
ib0arzgyJBYUZQ.png
iwZk3HT7MFUAN.png
ibtOq2kCJhsxXM.png

ibkb70260VATb.png
iogT29Hj7y2Ea.png

Demon's Souls
iddKVqpX4iXtL.png
iqFdfDcWoRlg3.png
iiS2eP2ZwQhyE.png
i8Th4jHaCauQS.png

All images would be linked to their respective download link/full size, of course.

Since the images are so small I don't think there'd be that much of a loading issue. That's also why I didn't use the 3D box versions, since I think those would be harder to see

Anyway, what do you think?

vvise

I find the 3D image is pretty important to get an accurate feel of what the cover actually looks like. Plenty of times I feel I created something nice but once it's folded the balance gets really thrown off. This is the case with a lot of would be nice boxart in this thread.

Not to pick on anyone but use this cover for an example, it looks excellent in this picture. Go ahead and print it. You'll see once it's on the case.

It is excellent if you pull the heads apart to balance them properly each on their own half but without the 3D it isn't apparent right away.

That's just my opinion.

Zajora

I find the 3D image is pretty important to get an accurate feel of what the cover actually looks like. Plenty of times I feel I created something nice but once it's folded the balance gets really thrown off. This is the case with a lot of would be nice boxart in this thread.

Not to pick on anyone but use this cover for an example, it looks excellent in this picture. Go ahead and print it. You'll see once it's on the case.

It is excellent if you pull the heads apart to balance them properly each on their own half but without the 3D it isn't apparent right away.

That's just my opinion.

So, for comparison..
iElIllCtB3Xp4.png

iIujiRY4cdYdx.png

iC9WrUi6qNwA8.png

Just wanted to see how it'd look without a reflection.

Hmm. Kind of hard to say what's better.

Talked with Zajora about finally getting this thread back on track, especially with PS4/XB1 around the corner. Does anyone else want to lend a hand? I'm away right now on vacation but will be back next week to discuss.

It will eventually lead to a new thread.

Zajora

Talked with Zajora about finally getting this thread back on track, especially with PS4/XB1 around the corner. Does anyone else want to lend a hand? I'm away right now on vacation but will be back next week to discuss.

You (or someone else) wouldn't happen to have saved a copy of all of the covers, would you? I've been going down the list in the OP and so many great covers have lost their hosting. :(

Also, do you know when you stopped adding new images to the OP, or approximately what page?

I think there should definitely be thumbnails in the OP, and I think the thumbnails should link directly to the image. Mediafire doesn't seem to be the perfect host, considering how many of the covers have been taken down, not to mention the multistep process required to download the image. An image host like Minus or even Dropbox seems like a better alternative because they let you link directly to the image itself.

I have some other ideas as well, but those can wait. ;p

Gui_PT

You mean keeping the list of covers updated and whatnot? I'd like to help with that.

Zajora

Well, I think I managed to save a copy of all the covers that haven't lost their hosting, both from the OP and the ones added in the last ~20 pages.

It comes to a total of 1163 files (753 PS3, 214 X360, 78 Wii, and small amounts for the rest) and 3.63GB, which means that Minus's 10GB free allotment would work fine for hosting them.

The only issue is that loading 1163 files, even small ones, will probably be something of a problem. I really hope there is some solution though, since I think being able to see a thumbnail (even a small one) is important to choosing the covers.

I also saved the photos of the printed covers that I saw while looking for the covers, so the"finished products" section can be expanded. :)

Edit: Decided to try Dropbox, since that way it'd be easier to manage a collaborative folder. I also renamed all the images to the name of the game they represent, which took a lot longer than I expected (Especially because I don't recognize many of them :p)

While I was doing it I kind of felt like making some covers, so..

Okami.jpgsmall.png
The%20Legend%20of%20Zelda%20-%20Skyward%20Sword%20(1).pngsmall.png
The%20Legend%20of%20Zelda%20-%20Twilight%20Princess%20(2).jpgsmall.png

Super%20Smash%20Bros%20Brawl.jpgsmall.png
Super%20Smash%20Bros%20Brawl.pngsmall.png
Super%20Smash%20Bros%20Brawl%20(2).pngsmall.png

..and Wii U!
The%20Legend%20of%20Zelda%20-%20The%20Wind%20Waker.jpgsmall.png

I know the Zelda ones are a bit similar to some existing covers, but I wanted the titles to be consistent.

I don't even want to know how many times I've edited this post!

Anyway, I couldn't find a 3DS box converter (I guess Rengoku isn't making them anymore) so I wanted to try making my own.

Harder than I expected, but this was my result...

The%20Legend%20of%20Zelda%20-%20A%20Link%20Between%20Worlds.jpgsmall.png

The actual cover didn't turn out that well, since that's the only piece of art for the game. Oh well.

I'm having a bit of trouble getting the box converting actions to work smoothly. I think I might have to use a script for it, but I don't know Javascript! :(

That's probably why Rengoku started using scripts instead of actions in his second version of the converters.

I've been thinking of how we could use thumbnails without having too long of a loading time, but I can't think of a good one. Splitting it up over different pages might work, but that'd be a little awkward. Maybe the best solution will be one that is basically a link to a preview of the cover beside a link to the full view, but that feels so pointless - if you've got to click a link just to see it, you might as well just click the one you'd need to print it off.

Some form of off-site gallery would probably be the best solution, but that comes with its own problems.

Anyway, I've been using the box converter on some of the covers made by other people that I've backed up. So many amazing covers :0

Xenoblade%20(2).pngsmall.png
The%20Last%20Story%20(3).pngsmall.png

RedDeadRedemptionPS3_Cover.pngsmall.png
Ico%20and%20Shadow%20of%20the%20Colossus%20(2).jpgsmall.png

Far%20Cry%203%20(2).jpgsmall.png
Dark%20Souls%20(3).jpgsmall.png

Mario%20Kart%207.pngsmall.png
Monster%20Hunter%203%20Ultimate%20(2).pngsmall.png

Kingdom%20Hearts%20Re%20Coded.pngsmall.png
Mario%20and%20Luigi%20Bowser%27s%20Inside%20Story.pngsmall.png

Za - I sent you a PM and will wait to chat with you there for most stuff.

By chance do you have a list of covers w/ broken links?

If not I will go through the list and try to contact the original creators to upload me a file.

edit: And your links above are broken.

Zajora

Za - I sent you a PM and will wait to chat with you there for most stuff.

By chance do you have a list of covers w/ broken links?

If not I will go through the list and try to contact the original creators to upload me a file.

edit: And your links above are broken.

Really? They all show up fine for me. Do you mean the thumbnails aren't working, or the images they link to?

Edit: Oh, wow. Tried a different browser and they're all broken. Alright, give me a minute. :p

Edit again: There, I think I fixed them all. Not linking to the full images now though, too much work.

Anyway, unfortunately I didn't make a list of the broken links, but there were quite a number of them. :\

On a related note, does anyone know where to get empty DS cases? I've gotten an itch to put all of my GBA cartridges into DS cases and do/find art for them, but I need cases to store them.

Zajora

On a related note, does anyone know where to get empty DS cases? I've gotten an itch to put all of my GBA cartridges into DS cases and do/find art for them, but I need cases to store them.

Well, you can buy them on ebay at least. I'm pretty sure there was a site that sold them in groups of 50 for something like $25, but I can't remember what it was. :\

Also, it looks like Nintendo sells them on their store. Actually, it looks like those ones don't have a GBA slot. :<

Oh, found what I was originally talking about, Shop4Tech.

Well, you can buy them on ebay at least. I'm pretty sure there was a site that sold them in groups of 50 for something like $25, but I can't remember what it was. :\

Also, it looks like Nintendo sells them on their store. Actually, it looks like those ones don't have a GBA slot. :<

Oh, found what I was originally talking about, Shop4Tech.

Thanks for digging those out! I'll probably decide between officially buying from Nintendo and buying from Shop4Tech tonight. I'm not too worried about the new cases not holding GBA cartridges since all of my current ones do (so I can shift over).

Then I can let my OCD ride as I create cover art for all of my GBA games (should I thank you or curse you for allowing that to happen?)

Zajora

Thanks for digging those out! I'll probably decide between officially buying from Nintendo and buying from Shop4Tech tonight. I'm not too worried about the new cases not holding GBA cartridges since all of my current ones do (so I can shift over).

Then I can let my OCD ride as I create cover art for all of my GBA games (should I thank you or curse you for allowing that to happen?)

Couldn't you just use The Cover Project's covers?

In Other News:

I made some DS covers!

The%20Legend%20of%20Zelda%20-%20Spirit%20Tracks.pngsmall.png
The%20Legend%20of%20Zelda%20-%20Phantom%20Hourglass.jpgsmall.png

I also re-did the box converter as well, as you can see.

Also made these:

Lost%20Odyssey.jpgsmall.png
Lost%20Odyssey%20%282%29.jpgsmall.png

There's basically no Lost Odyssey art out there, or at least, none I could find. :<

I don't know how many people are interested in re-doing/fixing up this thread, but in any case, I'll talk about it here anyway. I've made a dropbox with all the covers that didn't have broken links, and sorted them so each system has a subfolder for printable versions and the 3D box thumbnails. This seems like a better solution (a centralized backup) as opposed to them being hosted all over the place, with many of them ending up as broken links. The only issue is that dropbox starts out at 2GB of space. I've got up to 3.88GB, but 3.7GB of that is already used, and I haven't even made 3D previews for most of the covers. Long story short, if anyone wants to sign up for dropbox or to help me out, if they sign up using THIS link, they'll add an extra 500MB of space to the account. :)

Recently picked up Wet used on kijiji. Gave the cover some love :)

nice, any chance for an xbox version?

I don't know how many people are interested in re-doing/fixing up this thread, but in any case, I'll talk about it here anyway. I've made a dropbox with all the covers that didn't have broken links, and sorted them so each system has a subfolder for printable versions and the 3D box thumbnails. This seems like a better solution (a centralized backup) as opposed to them being hosted all over the place, with many of them ending up as broken links. The only issue is that dropbox starts out at 2GB of space. I've got up to 3.88GB, but 3.7GB of that is already used, and I haven't even made 3D previews for most of the covers. Long story short, if anyone wants to sign up for dropbox or to help me out, if they sign up using THIS link, they'll add an extra 500MB of space to the account. :)
signed up. hopefully we can get this place reorganized/reindexed.

Zajora

signed up. hopefully we can get this place reorganized/reindexed.

Awesome, thank you. This puts it at 4.38GB total space, with 3.6GB used thanks to some compression I did earlier. :)

I probably should have linked this earlier, but here is a link the public folder of the Dropbox.

Eventually it'll have the templates and customized box converter PSDs I've been making, as well as 3D previews for every one of the large (print size) covers.

If you spot a mislabelled image, an image in the wrong folder, or an image I forgot to add, please let me know.

Oh, and all the covers I've made are in there as well, if anybody cares. I didn't link to them directly because I've been changing the names and such quite frequently.

On that note, I don't advise anyone directly link to the files for awhile, since the structure/naming is likely to change.

Also, made some new covers (Can you find the theme? My avatar is a hint)

The%20Legend%20of%20Zelda%20-%20Ocarina%20of%20TIme%20(2).jpgsmall.png
The%20Legend%20of%20Zelda%20-%20Ocarina%20of%20TIme%20(3).jpgsmall.png
The%20Legend%20of%20Zelda%20-%20Ocarina%20of%20TIme.jpgsmall.png

The%20Legend%20of%20Zelda%20-%20Majora's%20Mask%203D.jpgsmall.png

Not very happy with how MM's turned out, but oh well.

Cody_L

Neo Member
I nearly forgot about this thread. I just wanted to say I love all these custom covers and want to thank all the talented people who've made them.

I'd like to share what I've made, these were done a while ago and I feel they're no where near as good as most of the ones posted.
Anywho...

Sports Champions
(PSN logo on the back has been removed on the actual cover)

GT5

GT5
(This is one I was just playing around with. Any Butler fans out there?)

Keep up the great work people!

Zajora

That's beautiful. I'd totally put it over my Last Story Box.

Just to clarify, I didn't make that cover. That second part of my post was just showing good looking covers made by other people with the customized box converters I made.

And yes, I do think it looks pretty fantastic. The Last Story has a lot of great art floating around.

Here are the other Last Story covers, if you're curious:

The%20Last%20Story%20(2).pngsmall.png
The%20Last%20Story%20(4).pngsmall.png
The%20Last%20Story.pngsmall.png

You can find the printable sizes in the Custom Covers/Wii/Large folder in the Dropbox

(Make sure you're viewing the actual full size, which should be 3225 pixels wide)

DedValve

Banned
This thread is amazing. I'm bookmarking and heading to staples tomorrow, think they do gloss paper prints like this?

Any Dragons Dogma Dark Arisen or Left 4 Dead? It'd also be pretty amusing to have one of The Last of Us with all the 10's and the citizen kane comment on the boxart lol.

Zajora

This thread is amazing. I'm bookmarking and heading to staples tomorrow, think they do gloss paper prints like this?

Any Dragons Dogma Dark Arisen or Left 4 Dead? It'd also be pretty amusing to have one of The Last of Us with all the 10's and the citizen kane comment on the boxart lol.

It's actually not totally necessary to use glossy paper. It'd probably look better, but probably not by as much as you'd think. I would assume they do offer it, but it might vary by area. You could just to look on their website/call your particular store and find out what kind of paper they offer.

I don't think there are any covers for the Dark Arisen expansion, just the original Dragon's Dogma. Apparently there weren't any Left 4 Dead covers, or at least I couldn't find when I was backing them up.

Here are some of the Dragon's Dogma and The Last of Us covers:

Dragon's%20Dogma%20(3).jpgsmall.png
Dragon's%20Dogma.jpgsmall.png
Dragon's%20Dogma.pngsmall.png

THE%20LAST%20OF%20US.pngsmall.png
The%20Last%20of%20Us.jpgsmall.png
The%20Last%20of%20Us%20(2).jpgsmall.png

(Un)fortunately there were no covers with "all the 10's" ;p

..and of course, printable versions in the Custom Covers/PS3/Large folder in the Dropbox

DedValve

Banned
It's actually not totally necessary to use glossy paper. It'd probably look better, but probably not by as much as you'd think. I would assume they do offer it, but it might vary by area. You could just to look on their website/call your particular store and find out what kind of paper they offer.

I don't think there are any covers for the Dark Arisen expansion, just the original Dragon's Dogma. Apparently there weren't any Left 4 Dead covers, or at least I couldn't find when I was backing them up.

Here are some of the Dragon's Dogma and The Last of Us covers:

Dragon's%20Dogma%20(3).jpgsmall.png
Dragon's%20Dogma.pngsmall.png

THE%20LAST%20OF%20US.pngsmall.png
The%20Last%20of%20Us.jpgsmall.png
The%20Last%20of%20Us%20(2).jpgsmall.png

(Un)fortunately there were no covers with "all the 10's" ;p

..and of course, printable versions in the Custom Covers/PS3/Large folder in the Dropbox

UGGGGGHHH All those dragons dogma ones. ALL OF THEM. How am I supposed to decide?

I think I might go with the middle one but UUUUGHGGHGH their all too amazing. Do they come in the 360 version?

Also the middle boxart for the last of us is heartbreaking, it reminds me that I finished the game :(

I'm definately gonna wait for someone to do the 10/10 ones just for the lols. The backside can be filled with the Polygon review just for more lols.

now i'm tempted for FFXIII Japanese Cultural Expert Edition

So quick question I drag these photos into photoshop then print? I have all the CS4 programs and no idea how to use it. EDIT: Also what paper would you suggest? Any random paper or should I spring extra for glossy?

Zajora

UGGGGGHHH All those dragons dogma ones. ALL OF THEM. How am I supposed to decide?

I think I might go with the middle one but UUUUGHGGHGH their all too amazing. Do they come in the 360 version?

Also the middle boxart for the last of us is heartbreaking, it reminds me that I finished the game :(

I'm definately gonna wait for someone to do the 10/10 ones just for the lols. The backside can be filled with the Polygon review just for more lols.

now i'm tempted for FFXIII Japanese Cultural Expert Edition

So quick question I drag these photos into photoshop then print? I have all the CS4 programs and no idea how to use it.

Unfortunately, there's only one X360 Dragon's Dogma cover. PS3 is a little over-represented in this thread, :p

You don't actually need Photoshop to print these. As long as they aren't scaled, they should come out at the correct size based on their resolution (300 DPI).

Some printers can't print close enough to the edges of the page to print the covers, however, which may cause you some difficulty. If your printer supports it you should ensure you're enabling "Minimize Margins" or equivalent. (This is only really an issue if you're using letter-size paper. A4 or Legal size should be fine)

If you have glossy paper, that would probably lead to the best results.

In other news, I made some Pikmin 3 covers using that art Weng posted. It's like they were all perfectly suited to boxart!

Pikmin%203.jpgsmall.png
Pikmin%203%20(1).jpgsmall.png
Pikmin%203%20(2).jpgsmall.png
Pikmin%203%20(3).jpgsmall.png

Pikmin%203%20(4).jpgsmall.png
Pikmin%203%20(5).jpgsmall.png
Pikmin%203%20(6).jpgsmall.png
Pikmin%203%20(7).jpgsmall.png

I think #6 is my favourite.

Zajora

So excuse my total ignorance, I'm trying my hardest to keep up. I just save the image (like the 360 one you posted) and print?

You need to get the full size version. I've created a Dropbox for storing these custom covers, and I believe I've just about backed up all the covers posted in this thread.

Here is a link to the X360 Dragon's Dogma cover.

When you're printing it, make sure you don't have any scaling options enabled, so no "scale media" or "fit to frame" or anything like that. :)

przemekszulim

Neo Member
First of all - THANK YOU Zajora for all of your hard work. It is great idea to collect and upload in one and organized place all of these fantastic covers :)

It will be good step to put credits to the authors - we all now how these days everyone is trying to enforce their copyright to their own work and to fight with violations. And I will support them. Because I'm graphic designer and I know how sad is that moment when someone steals your work just because it was published somewhere for good people.

Keep up guys, you are making a great piece of work :)

off topic:
It's actually not totally necessary to use glossy paper. It'd probably look better

It will look MUCH BETTER - i would say it will look like HD compared to SD :)

Zajora

It will be good step to put credits to the authors - we all now how these days everyone is trying to enforce their copyright to their own work and to fight with violations. And I will support them. Because I'm graphic designer and I know how sad is that moment when someone steals your work just because it was published somewhere for good people.

The only issue is that doing so would mean going through about 1200 covers and finding authors for each one, and then tagging them appropriately. Ideally I suppose I would've done that when I was saving them, but unfortunately I didn't think it'd be worthwhile at the time.

In the future, I'd like to have a solution that lends itself to viewing the covers as a gallery, something like VG Box Art's setup. If that ever happens, it'd probably be easier to sort out a way to tag them with their authors in a collaborative fashion. It's maybe a bit unlikely we'll ever have such a comprehensive solution, but I'd like to think it might happen someday.

Anyway, made some more covers!

Mario%20Kart%20Wii.jpgsmall.png
Mario%20Kart%20Wii%20(1).jpgsmall.png

Fandangox

Just to clarify, I didn't make that cover. That second part of my post was just showing good looking covers made by other people with the customized box converters I made.

And yes, I do think it looks pretty fantastic. The Last Story has a lot of great art floating around.

Here are the other Last Story covers, if you're curious:

The%20Last%20Story%20(2).pngsmall.png
The%20Last%20Story%20(4).pngsmall.png
The%20Last%20Story.pngsmall.png

You can find the printable sizes in the Custom Covers/Wii/Large folder in the Dropbox

(Make sure you're viewing the actual full size, which should be 3225 pixels wide)

wow wow wow those are all pretty good, I am going to have a hard time deciding. Also thanks for the dropbox link.

Top Bottom