• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Custom Cover Art - Minimalist, clean, or alternative box arts for your favorite games

Doombear

Loving the little resurgence this topic has gotten over the last month or two. Keep em coming everyone! I haven't done many since my last batch, as I have been trying to create Blu Ray covers for my Korean Film collection instead, but I really love seeing what everyone is doing in here.

Seems like a good place as any other to post this.
QL9K8eG.jpg

Hi guys I'm new on GAF, but since last year I've been making Vita cover art in my spare time between design projects. I figured I'd post them for anyone who might enjoy.

wdqUZNX.jpg

Amazing.

wilflare

really need to print on glossy paper to get the intended effect :/
hmm does anyone have the template for the revised PS3 labels?

Renpatsu

I'm not so sure about this one.

It was hard enough finding a detailed image of Raiden illustrated by Ashley Wood, but the only one I could find only lent itself to a fairly straightforward composition.

Thoughts?

Griss

I'm not sure I've ever posted in here, but I love this thread and want to thank everyone who has made all these awesome covers.

Unfortunately the print shop near me had absolutely no idea what to do with them. :(

But I'm probably getting a new laptop tomorrow, probably a MacBook Pro, so are there any templates and tutorials for programs that aren't Photoshop? I don't see any in the OP. I'm sure I'd be rubbish at this but I'd love to give it a go.

Grief.exe

I'm not sure I've ever posted in here, but I love this thread and want to thank everyone who has made all these awesome covers.

Unfortunately the print shop near me had absolutely no idea what to do with them. :(

But I'm probably getting a new laptop tomorrow, probably a MacBook Pro, so are there any templates and tutorials for programs that aren't Photoshop? I don't see any in the OP. I'm sure I'd be rubbish at this but I'd love to give it a go.

I believe people use Gimp if they do not have access to Photoshop. Freeware application with a large amount of features.

Renpatsu

What specifically were they unsure about? I'd be surprised at any reputable print shop being confused as to what the job was were you to present them with the majority of these files.

Ambitious

On a Mac, Pixelmator is a great alternative for Photoshop. It's $29.99 on the Mac App Store. There are a bunch of tutorials on their website, and there's also a 30 day trial.

Griss

I believe people use Gimp if they do not have access to Photoshop. Freeware application with a large amount of features.

On a Mac, Pixelmator is a great alternative for Photoshop. It's $29.99 on the Mac App Store. There are a bunch of tutorials on their website, and there's also a 30 day trial.

Thanks for the suggestions. Do they use similar files types as Photoshop? Will the cover templates work? I'm sure I can start figuring it out on my own.

What specifically were they unsure about? I'd be surprised at any reputable print shop being confused as to what the job was were you to present them with the majority of these files.

They were unsure of the dimensions, what type of paper to use, everything. They'd never printed out DVD or Blu-ray covers before. I mean, it's a big place, with about 30 printers running full time, but they do mostly political posters, masters thesis binding etc. One guy coming in with a small job is not really what they do so much.

Grief.exe

They were unsure of the dimensions, what type of paper to use, everything. They'd never printed out DVD or Blu-ray covers before. I mean, it's a big place, with about 30 printers running full time, but they do mostly political posters, masters thesis binding etc. One guy coming in with a small job is not really what they do so much.

• The exact dimensions are 10.75"x7.187"
  • Glossy Paper
  • Generally have to print out in landscape
  • No resizing to fit the page

That is assuming Standard DVD IE PS2, PC, 360, etc. PS3 is 10.75"xx5.84"

Zajora

First time poster in this thread. Not really sure what the protocol is. I've made a cover for Ratched and Clank Nexus using the template and uploaded it to Mediafire. It can be found here: http://www.mediafire.com/view/0zhhc6br7kkw2r1/Ratchet-And-Clank-Into-The-Nexus.png

Should I PM the OP about adding it to the list/Dropbox?

The list in the OP was discontinued awhile back, but I did add it to the dropbox. (As well as all the covers posted over the last 5 or so pages)

I feel like Renpatsu should get a shoutout for so many great covers. I don't have a Vita (or, for that matter, any plans to get one) but if I did I would definitely use some of those covers.

Renpatsu

So in the end I pulled back from the brush script type and went with the official type. Small difference, but I think it feels more balanced than my first pass.

I feel like Renpatsu should get a shoutout for so many great covers. I don't have a Vita (or, for that matter, any plans to get one) but if I did I would definitely use some of those covers.

Hey, I really appreciate the shoutout. There's more coming down the line, that's a certainty (I'll make so many that you'll simply HAVE to get a Vita).

why would you use Ashley Wood art for the MGS collection..

Consider how much great Shinkawa cover art is already out there for people to pick and choose from. I wanted to try something different using another great artist.

Grief.exe

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings - Steam

Very cool, like the Steam logo as well.

I will say, when you print these out you are going to want your game logo on the spine to be as big as possible. I would recommend dropping the Assassin's of Kings and Enhanced Edition below your main logo. Increase the size of The Witcher 2 part and put Assassin's of Kings next to it.

The reason for this is the logos are difficult to see appropriately from a distance.

Very cool, like the Steam logo as well.

I will say, when you print these out you are going to want your game logo on the spine to be as big as possible. I would recommend dropping the Assassin's of Kings and Enhanced Edition below your main logo. Increase the size of The Witcher 2 part and put Assassin's of Kings next to it.

The reason for this is the logos are difficult to see appropriately from a distance.

Fixed! Thanks for the advice.

Son Of D

Bayonetta Wii U (click picture for full size):

I really just made this for myself after the announcement that Bayonetta 2 will include the first game as well. I knew that I'd get mildly irritated by just having Bayonetta 2 case by itself so this is just an aesthetic thing for me. I'm working on custom Bayonetta 2 and Bayonetta double pack cases as well so I'll upload those when ready.

VoxPop

Awesome work guys. Is there a printer I could buy that could print these babies out without compromise? Or is that insanely expensive

Oh, this is one of those really nice threads I forgot to bookmark. I'm going to bookmark this now.

I like my old cases and covers and things. But this looks like a lot of fun. And I've been meaning to get into printing and things like that lately. These look really neat, everyone.

Yazuka

I'm sorry to ask this here if its now allowed please ignore this. But does anyone know where I can find the original covers to games? Preferably PS4 games, since I write some reviews from time to time and get promos. But I'd like to have a real cover for them and not just the cheap jewel case it comes in.
I'm looking for The Amazing Spider-Man 2 and Wolfenstein right now.

Zajora

I'm sorry to ask this here if its now allowed please ignore this. But does anyone know where I can find the original covers to games? Preferably PS4 games, since I write some reviews from time to time and get promos. But I'd like to have a real cover for them and not just the cheap jewel case it comes in.
I'm looking for The Amazing Spider-Man 2 and Wolfenstein right now.

The Cover Project is usually a good source for scanned covers, but their PS4 selection is looking pretty bare.

RedSwirl

What were those case dimensions for Blu-Ray again? I think since Xbox One cases are almost identical in size I'll try those, but I also need the exact pixel dimensions for each side and the spine, at 300ppi.

Edit: Has anyone tried taking the art out of a Blu-Ray box and slipping it into an Xbox One game case to see if it fits exactly?

Possum

Far Cry 4 (click picture for full size):

Huh. Looks like my proofs might be kinda messed up. I'll have to look into that.

RedSwirl

Far Cry 4 is done but I'd really like to hear back from an Xbox One owner to see if we finally have a template nailed down.

hurzelein

Ys: Oath of Felghana

It's a cover for the PSP-game in the dimensions of a Vita Box.

Honestly I don't think anyone (myelf included) will use this (because Vita boxes are pretty difficult to get a hold of), but hey..maybe helps to get the thread slowly going again :)

Couldn't really find an 3D-Vita template on the internet :(

Both front and back are just copy&paste artwork put together with a blend and some adjustements, nothing too special.

Honestly I don't think anyone (myelf included) will use this (because Vita boxes are pretty difficult to get a hold of), but hey..maybe helps to get the thread slowly going again :)

Both front and back are just copy&paste artwork put together with a blend and some adjustements, nothing too special.

It looks great :)

Renpatsu

I've also had difficulty finding a nice 3D-Vita template so what I've been using instead are custom objects in Imandix Cover Professional and swapping between a variation of '97x125x10mm with a 5mm frame' and '98x125x11mm with 3mm frame'.

Here's your cover using the latter.
Edit:
Hey thanks, nice 3D-template!

Can you export this in any way as a photoshop-project with shadow layers etc.? Or is this just internal in the programm you used? If it's not possible in photoshop I think I will try this programme of yours, looks interesting.
Unfortunately PSD export only outputs flattened bitmap file with transparency. I've been meaning to create an editable photoshop file, but it's not personally high on my list of my priorities.
If you do end up using Imandix it is quite a time saver for 3D mock ups of other case types so it comes recommended.
I guess you could work backwards by inputting a blank cover and exporting the transparent image into PS to manually create a 3D template, but that seems like a roundabout way to do it.

hurzelein

Here's your cover using the latter.

Hey thanks, nice 3D-template!

Can you export this in any way as a photoshop-project with shadow layers etc.? Or is this just internal in the programm you used? If it's not possible in photoshop I think I will try this programme of yours, looks interesting.

Son Of D

Kingdom Hearts 1.5HD Remix:

The dimensions should be correct. That 3D Box converter doesn't seem to work with Photoshop CS2. That or I'm doing something wrong.

Edit - added a custom cover ready for Kingdom Hearts 2.5 HD Remix as well:

I had to change the colour of the PS3 spine logo else it would be too dark to see due to the image used for the reverse. I did find a Birth By Sleep artwork that wasn't dark but instead it'd make the spine plain white.

So I'm about to pack away my Wii games indefinitely, so I was wondering if any of you knew about or have any awesome NTSC Wii Sports full-size DVD covers? Mine came in the sleeve and I printed out my own (it looks really crappy) and put it in a non-Wii case, and I'm going to fix that now. Also any covers for Link's Crossbow Training would be appreciated as well. ^_^

Since I'm a bit of a purist, I'd rather it be as close to the PAL versions as possible.

phanphare

Banned
Bayonetta Wii U (click picture for full size):

I really just made this for myself after the announcement that Bayonetta 2 will include the first game as well. I knew that I'd get mildly irritated by just having Bayonetta 2 case by itself so this is just an aesthetic thing for me. I'm working on custom Bayonetta 2 and Bayonetta double pack cases as well so I'll upload those when ready.

where did you guys find those bayonetta images? I was thinking about making a matching Bayo 1 and Bayo 2 cover

I couldn't find any promotional materials online or anything like that.

that reminds me, i have to remake mine as i lost my files. thanks for posting!

where did you guys find those bayonetta images? I was thinking about making a matching Bayo 1 and Bayo 2 cover

probably the nintendo e3 press site. if you wanna pm me your email i could send them to you. don't know if the were the same ones though.

I know this thread is for posting art for replacing current existing boxes, but I'd love to share a couple of fan-made ones I made; one is a platform switch, the other is for a non-existing game, I'm pretty proud of both. :)

That fine to post here?

they were too big to send through gmail so i uploaded them to my dropbox, plus added the other ones i downloaded from the site.

edit: might help if i added the link.

Top Bottom