• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Custom Cover Art - Minimalist, clean, or alternative box arts for your favorite games

RedSwirl

enzo_gt said:
I meant the two pieces of SFIV art you used to make the covers, the Ryu/Sagat one and the other one.

It's from the artbook. I found a bunch of scans from a random Chinese forum. I'd just track down a rar of the artbook if I were you.

I know requests are getting heavy but if anyone has the time to do so could someone make a quick minimalist Quantum of Solace cover for ps3?

The effort is much appreciated.

No rush..

kuYuri

demosthenes said:
Unless someone has tried we don't know. I used office max. Don't try kinko's.

There's no Office Max near me for miles and there's a Staples right across the street from me. Staples is really my only bet for these.

Strider2K99 said:
There's no Office Max near me for miles and there's a Staples right across the street from me. Staples is really my only bet for these.
So throw a few on a thumb drive and go try it?

RussellXV

Made some adjustments to my MGS4 cover art. Most likely final. Studied some cover art from other video games. The back art is usually simple or just doesn't have any dominant figures. My previous back cover had too much art.

The cover art below is a perfect example. Thanks for this awesome cover RedSwirl.
2iuylg9.jpg

demosthenes said:
Unless someone has tried we don't know. I used office max. Don't try kinko's.

My local Staples pulled the "copyright" bullshit, but they would do it since the minimal templates don't usually have copyright notices on them. However, Office Max did a phenomenal job and was $0.40 a sheet cheapers.

The_Monk

I'm preparing to grab some of this awesome covers and send them to a store to print them for me.

I mean... there some seriously awesome covers. How awesome? Let me tell you, so awesome that give me the motivation to open the case and PLAY the game!

Will post them after having all done.

Ps: COD 4 MW1, MW2 and Black Ops have some awful covers... If someone wanna give them a shot would have my humble gratitude.

Again, thank you all, you have a great talent and taste.

Rengoku

alr1ghtstart said:
fyi, the 360 3D box script has a bug. It doesn't follow the horizontal resolution set at the start of the script.

I need abit more info, does it shrink the image at all? If it does, how many pixels is it off by? Is the width & height ratio correct at least? thx.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Rengoku said:
I need abit more info, does it shrink the image at all? If it does, how many pixels is it off by? Is the width & height ratio correct at least? thx.

i put 800 (default) and it came up 704x602. Source was 3242x2164. AR was correct.

Tattooth

I feel bad for tampering with Olly Moss' art with this one, but it think it makes for a very clean boxart.

mgviperman said:
Awesome, printing this out today

Very cool, would love to see the final product when it is done.

Deegon

Banned
Holy balls, that is some cover alright, Tattooth. So much awesome, now I'm so hoping you do one for DR2: Off the Record.

Edit: Oh I see, it's based on someone else artwork. Still, it's very good looking.

Canova

Banned
Thanks RedSwirl and 15RC, now I have 2 cool AC2 covers.

So anyone interested in making Bleach Soul Resurreccion and Mini Ninjas covers? c'mon give the niche titles some love.

also I always make prints and photos, so your effort won't go to waste ;P

RedSwirl said:
Kinda weird making an AC2 cover with Cezare on the front. Just sayin'.

that's ok, all AC characters look the same anyway

RedSwirl

Beats said:
I made one when the thread started. The link is on the first page but I don't think it's in the op.

http://www.mediafire.com/?e0hq20aus9ki5dx

let me know if it's okay.

Well. Shit has officially begun.

...though I will make one tiny alteration to that template.

drkOne said:
Can I have this without the PSN logos? Thanks in advance.

*sigh* I'd kept them on there because that's just how the format is. The PS3 and PSN logos are part of the same layer, but I guess I could try to separate them. I'm not making new 3D images for all of them though.

RedSwirl

I can say right now though that it's gonna be next to impossible to find high-res art for a lot of pre-current-gen games.

RedSwirl said:
Well. Shit has officially begun.

...though I will make one tiny alteration to that template.

*sigh* I'd kept them on there because that's just how the format is. The PS3 and PSN logos are part of the same layer, but I guess I could try to separate them. I'm not making new 3D images for all of them though.

In the PS3 combo template, they are on different layers, for certain.
Not sure if you're using an earlier "minimal only" PS3 template or something?

RedSwirl

Gamecube boxes are the same size as DVD cases right? If so the GC template is a little bit off. Might need to make a new 3D template specifically for it.

kunonabi

web.jpg

I heard this was done by a Gaffer, does anyone know who did it? I'd love to track down a hi res version of it.

Beats

RedSwirl said:
Gamecube boxes are the same size as DVD cases right? If so the GC template is a little bit off. Might need to make a new 3D template specifically for it.

Not exactly. If you compare a DVD cover with a Gamecube cover it turns out that the Gamecube cover is actually slightly bigger. The dimensions I got were from the Cover Project forums, but I haven't checked if they are exactly that size though. I'm guessing it's right.

Bulletstorm (PS3) Trifecta:

I couldn't decide where to put the front logo.
I'm thinking if I use this one (and don't make an alt), I'm going to use the one without a logo.

RedSwirl

Beats said:
Not exactly. If you compare a DVD cover with a Gamecube cover it turns out that the Gamecube cover is actually slightly bigger. The dimensions I got were from the Cover Project forums, but I haven't checked if they are exactly that size though. I'm guessing it's right.
Okay. As soon as somebody comes up with a Cube 3D, I'll post what I've made so far.

As for the PSN symbol, I must still be using an old version of the template. I might remove the symbols from some of them, but that's a lot of re-uploading on my part. Maybe I'd e-mail each one to someone requesting or willing to host them,

Himself said:
This is excellent. Can I ask where you got the source art from? Concept art for the game? Badass.
Sorry for the late reply, was on a trip to NYC for a couple days.

I actually just googled the game name and found a wallpaper of that, there were others as well, pretty sure they're official art.

Sinthetic

I'm seriously crap at doing stuff like this, but that "Example" ICO Collection cover is going to be printed out for use when I get the game. I love it.

Rengoku, just a heads up, I pimped your cover for ICO/SotC in the thread about the reversible cover. :)

--

Coming soon: Maybe an attempt at Just Cause 2, maybe SSF4, maybe another Bulletstorm (though I think I'm using one of the 3 I posted for myself).

Didn't bother with spine text yet, as these are just futzing around with random artwork pairings I found for Street Fighter:

ssf4.1auqe.png

ssf4.2au4z.png

Thoughts so far:
(1) I like the one with the gold background for some reason -- moving that to the front might work... I think it's the official Euro cover art maybe?
(2) I need to re-find the SF artwork of Ken/Ryu/Akuma that I took my avatar from.
(3) Maybe the Shinkiro (?) artwork would look better on the back? I'm sad that it cut Cammy off.
(4) I still kind of want to use Cody's official artwork for something, but I don't know that people would like it, since it wouldn't have a large number of the roster like the 2nd version up there does.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
corrosivefrost said:
Didn't bother with spine text yet, as these are just futzing around with random artwork pairings I found for Street Fighter:

http://www.abload.de/img/ssf4.1auqe.png[IMG]
[IMG]http://www.abload.de/img/ssf4.2au4z.png[IMG]

Thoughts so far:
(1) I like the one with the gold background for some reason -- moving that to the front might work... I think it's the official Euro cover art maybe?
(2) I need to re-find the SF artwork of Ken/Ryu/Akuma that I took my avatar from.
(3) Maybe the Shinkiro (?) artwork would look better on the back? I'm sad that it cut Cammy off.
(4) I still kind of want to use Cody's official artwork for something, but I don't know that people would like it, since it wouldn't have a large number of the roster like the 2nd version up there does.[/QUOTE]
The gold background one looks better because it unifies the front/side/back a lot better than the white does, because of the golden tinge in the front of the cover's artwork as well. I don't like the SSFIV logo very much, but I can't suggest any better alternatives for the placement of it. Overall I like your second one much better.

Also I had the art from your avatar somewhere but after sifting through a few folders, I can't seem to find it.

RedSwirl

corrosivefrost said:

ssf4.1auqe.png

ssf4.2au4z.png

Thoughts so far:
(4) I still kind of want to use Cody's official artwork for something, but I don't know that people would like it, since it wouldn't have a large number of the roster like the 2nd version up there does.
If you want I could try to find the place again where I got all that SF4 art. You're probably just better off tracking down a rar of the art book.

Still, feels weird to me - using art that already was the official box art for another game (SF Anniversary).

Anyway, still waiting for someone to try to make a 3D art and script for the Gamecube template. I've got Cube covers ready and on standby.

Rengoku

Sigh, I've been so busy with work, I haven't had much time to work on any 3D template scripts let alone custom covers. But its great to see this thread alive and well :)

RedSwirl said:
Anyway, still waiting for someone to try to make a 3D art and script for the Gamecube template. I've got Cube covers ready and on standby.

The Gamecube case I believe is very similar to a regular DVD cover so you can actually use the PC 3d box script (version 2) on your covers. With the new version of the script it will compensate for any resolution or aspect ratio discrepancy.

corrosivefrost said:
Rengoku, just a heads up, I pimped your cover for ICO/SotC in the thread about the reversible cover. :)

lol, thanks

RedSwirl

Rengoku said:
Sigh, I've been so busy with work, I haven't had much time to work on any 3D template scripts let alone custom covers. But its great to see this thread alive and well :)

The Gamecube case I believe is very similar to a regular DVD cover so you can actually use the PC 3d box script (version 2) on your covers. With the new version of the script it will compensate for any resolution or aspect ratio discrepancy.

I already tried the PC template and it didn't work. Can't find this PC-specific version 2 script you're talking about (I've just been using the 360 script).

Might not be able to post mine for a while anyway since my internet has been crap for the last couple days.

Top Bottom