• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Customers Called 'Fat' on Restaurant Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ramblin

Banned
Satire of your comments aside, the flips side of this is accepting obesity will see it get even more of an issue than today.

What does piss me off if vanity sizing. In the past 10 years, I have gone from a Medium, to Small, to now sometimes even XS or XXS. Even though my body shape hasn't changed at all.

Even waist sizes are fucked. 30" should be thirty inches, not just another arbitrary size. I often have to find 28" waist jeans, to fit my 30" waist.

Life is tough.

braves01

Banned
Two things that would help the obesity problem:

1. Make rice our main carbohydrate in meals and make people use chopsticks to eat it. Will slow people down when eating.

2. Integrate fat shaming into Facebook and other social media so friends and family can let you know how fat you've gotten at any time.

Ra\/en

2. Integrate fat shaming into Facebook and other social media so friends and family can let you know how fat you've gotten at any time.

I'm not so sure that's a great idea.

Overweight/obese people avoid posting pictures of themselves on FB anyway. Most obese people i know on FB avoid body shots, and often have pictures of other things besides themselves in the profile. They obviously feel uncomfortable with their weight, and probably shouldnt' be publicly shamed for it.

Ponn

Banned

1. Make rice our main carbohydrate in meals and make people use chopsticks to eat it. Will slow people down when eating.

Hell, make it a requirement that anyone over a certain BMI is required to wear a watch they cannot remove. Every 30 minutes it goes off and insults the wearer loudly so everyone around can hear it.

CLEEK

I think that clothes above size 12 for woman and 34" trousers / 40" shirts for men should be banned. If you need clothing larger than this, you have to wear a plain Muumuu that has the work FAT printed all over it.

I think that clothes above size 12 for woman and 34" trousers / 40" shirts for men should be banned. If you need clothing larger than this, you have to wear a plain Muumuu that has the work FAT printed all over it.

The hell is this? I hope you're kidding but I can't tell anymore in this thread.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."

Rice is a much healthier grain than most, but it's not going to work magic.

The reason why Japan and China is thinner than the United States isn't because of eating lots of rice. It's what they put in it and eat with it. Over there it's much more plain, contains less salt, seasonings, sauces, sugars, and contains more vegetables, fish, and normal meat.

Americanized asian cuisine already proves this. See Panda Express.

The hell is this? I hope you're kidding but I can't tell anymore in this thread.

He's got to be joking. Fit, athletic men after a meal can exceed 34" waists.

Wuut? I'm a 15.75/40 and im pretty far from what anyone would call large.

Ponn

Banned

The scarlet letter.

Or hell lets go ahead and just take this to its full conclusion. We got the labeled gowns, now to make sure fat people aren't "infecting" and ruining everyone elses day we should collect them all into camps to.

MODS PLEASE DO SOMETHING. THIS SHIT IS VERY OFFENSIVE.

I can't believe this thread is allowed to go unchecked for as long as it has.

I don't wear muumuus with words on them. Only classy silk ones.

hGiNH.jpg

CLEEK

FYI - my post you're up in arms about was a joke, in response to the preceding posts that were obviously jokey ideas on how to combat obesity. The fact you viewed it as anything other than satire is the only worrying thing.

And as for this thread going unchecked. You will see that mods themselves have been contributing greatly to the debate.

FYI - my post you're up in arms about was a joke, in line with the other obviously jokey offensive ideas on how to combat obesity. The fact you viewed it as anything other than satire is the only worrying thing.

And as for this thread going unchecked. You will see that mods themselves have been contributing greatly to the debate.

It's hard to tell with the ugly things people have been allowed say in this thread over the past few days. I don't see you up on stage with a microphone, homie. How am I supposed to know who or what you are? Now I know that you're obviously George Carlin back from the dead, so I apologize for my earlier outburst. Obviously something is very wrong with me to make assumptions of your comment and not automatically know it was all a joke. A thousand times sorry.

CLEEK

It's hard to tell with the ugly things people have been allowed say in this thread over the past few days. I don't see you up on stage with a microphone, homie. How am I supposed to know who or what you are?

Well, you could have read my extensive input in this thread. From how I have very clearly stated that abuse of the over weight is unacceptable, to my considered views on the reason on why obesity is on the increase etc.

Or, you know, you could have just read the few posts above mine to see it was the continuation of a joke.

But if it's easier to just come into a thread, read one post out of context, then SHOUT FOR THE MODS TO TAKE ACTION, more power to you, bro.

Well, you could have read my extensive input in this thread. From how I have very clearly stated that abuse of the over weight is unacceptable, to my considered views on the reason on why obesity is on the increase etc.

Or, you know, you could have just read the few posts above mine to see it was the continuation of a joke.

But if it's easier to just come into a thread, read one post out of context, then SHOUT FOR THE MODS TO TAKE ACTION, more power to you, bro.
I'm not the only one who was caught off guard by your comment, so it's not just me. I just really have a problem with the things that are being said here. I do apologize for jumping on you but your further shit wasn't needed either.

Chipopo

Banned

I can't believe this thread is allowed to go unchecked for as long as it has.

what do you do in real life if someone says something offensive? I'm not asking rhetorically. Do you run to the nearest police officer? I'm offended by how thin-skinned you are.

grumble

I'm not the only one who was caught off guard by your comment, so it's not just me. I just really have a problem with the things that are being said here. I do apologize for jumping on you but your further shit wasn't needed either.

Out of curiosity, has any of the anti-fat stuff in this thread contributed to you feeling pressure to lose weight and get healthy? Some people are saying that social pressure and a culture of unacceptable are helpful in making people make positive changes in their lives.

Sample size of one!

shira

huh? That's a lot of people

I'm not in favor of fat shaming or anything like that, but it really is alarming when you compare America to most other nations. Imagine being a foreigner who only sees Americans represented in movies where obese people rarely ever exist. Then you come to America and see what it's really like. At this point, I think the biggest priority should be installing a sense of healthy eating and exercising in children. A lot of the adult population are going to be set in their ways. We should be most critical of people overfeeding their kids bad food. There is a culture of fattening kids up. Not to the point of obesity, but a lot of parents seem to worry about having thin kids for some reason.

I'm not in favor of fat shaming or anything like that, but it really is alarming when you compare America to most other nations. Imagine being a foreigner who only sees Americans represented in movies where obese people rarely ever exist. Then you come to America and see what it's really like. At this point, I think the biggest priority should be installing a sense of healthy eating and exercising in children. A lot of the adult population are going to be set in their ways. We should be most critical of people overfeeding their kids bad food. There is a culture of fattening kids up. Not to the point of obesity, but a lot of parents seem to worry about having thin kids for some reason.
Other countries aren't less fat because they are individually shaming fat people. That's the point of the discussion in this thread.

Michelle Obama is doing good things with tact and sensitivity when it comes to childhood obesity.

frequency

It's going to be a hard thing to change in a country like USA.
There needs to be an effort to make healthy choices more accessible. There maybe even needs to be regulation on unhealthy food to make it less accessible.

It's stupid that something like McDonald's is not only the most convenient option, but also one of the cheaper options. Or when you go into a grocery store, that packaged processed junk is cheaper than fresh produce.

The way things are now it's easier and cheaper to eat poorly. I think that's a major contributor to weight gain.

I think in some cases, food advertisements (like for fast food places) should be scrutinized the same way cigarette advertisements were. And the whole "part of a balanced diet" thing needs to stop. I remember not too long ago when Nutella (which is basically chocolate spread) had commercials that made it seem like they were a healthier alternative to peanut butter.

And it concerns me that the Olympics and McDonald's would have a partnership.

There are so many examples of marketing poor choices as good choices. It's sick.

Other countries aren't less fat because they are individually shaming fat people. That's the point of the discussion in this thread.
Yes.

Why on earth is this thread still going?

Discussion.

what do you do in real life if someone says something offensive? I'm not asking rhetorically. Do you run to the nearest police officer? I'm offended by how thin-skinned you are.
I thought this community was above calling people out of their names. I thought this community's moderators took swift action to prevent disrespect from others. People are allowed to say that they feel that heavier people are less than a person. I came back after a day of hearing this stuff and a day later I was still hearing it and frankly, at that point I had enough. Turns out the guy was joking, I misunderstood and everyone is happy again. Thanks for chiming in though.

Out of curiosity, has any of the anti-fat stuff in this thread contributed to you feeling pressure to lose weight and get healthy? Some people are saying that social pressure and a culture of unacceptable are helpful in making people make positive changes in their lives.

Sample size of one!
I'm not overweight. I just hate bullies. I hate when people think they are better than others. And I can't believe the things that were posted here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom