• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cutlery firm makes blunt knives to stop stabbings

hariseldon

Gold Member
Aug 22, 2018

Cutlery firm makes blunt knives to stop stabbings

Kitchen knives with a rounded end that cannot be used to stab people go on sale today and have been described as a game changer in the campaign against knife crime.

The Assure range by Viners, a cutlery firm founded in Sheffield in 1908, was created after the number of knife-related killings reached its highest level since 1946: 285 deaths in England and Wales in the year to March 2018.

The knives go on sale at Dunelm and will cost between £3.99 and £5.99. Viners is also in talks with supermarkets.

Research suggests that 94 per cent of the weapons used in stabbings are kitchen knives. There were 43,516 knife crimes in the 12 months to March last year.

In 2005 Mike Beckett, who spent 30 years as an A&E consultant, was one of the authors of an article in the BMJ calling for a change in the design and sale of pointed knives. The article said that most kitchen work could be done using a blunt, round-nose knife and another which, while sharp, was short enough to make it less deadly as a weapon.

“You can hack away at someone with a sharp edge of a blade but you will find it very hard to kill someone,” he said. “But with one lunge and a blow to the chest, abdomen or neck from a pointed end of a long knife it will go in up to the hilt and do significant damage.”

The government has reclassified kitchen knives as an offensive weapon and retailers including Asda and Tesco have stopped selling single knives.

John Crichton, vice-president of the Royal College of Psychiatrists, said that the knives were a game changer, adding: “With anti-stab knives, impulsive, unthought-through arguments that get out of hand will not have those instances of death.”

The introduction of anti-stab kitchen knives was a form of “situational crime prevention” where you reduce crime by taking away the opportunity to do something harmful, he added.

“In the 1960s when coal gas was replaced by natural gas it took away an easy means of taking one’s life and there was a substantial fall in the number of suicides. They were deflected from that course of action and they didn’t turn to other means,” Dr Crichton said.

Alex Stevens, a professor of criminology at Kent University, said reducing the availability of pointed knives would “go some way to reducing the lethality of the violence we are currently experiencing in this country”.

“People determined to use knives in violence will go off to get others but a lot of lethal violence happens in the home and in the heat of the moment without prior planning,” he said.

“A major barrier [to change] is social attitudes. People haven’t woken up to the idea that pointed knives are dangerous and not necessary. We are culturally attached to a knife having a point but the reason knives have points is that hundreds of years ago we didn’t have forks and so we would stab our food to eat it. We don’t do that anymore but we are still attached to the idea that they have a point.”

Cravis

Gold Member
Aug 18, 2006
“Game changer in the campaign against knife crime.”

Hahaha. Better be careful, they’re going to go after rocks next! I can see the headline a year from now....

“Revolutionary soft rock that is a game changer in the campaign against rock crime”

badblue

Nov 25, 2012
Edmonton
“You can hack away at someone with a sharp edge of a blade but you will find it very hard to kill someone,”
My google searches this morning are interesting....learning is fun but makes you look like a serial killer in training.

Anyways, "Pioneering research into stabbing has revealed that the forces required to stab someone are frighteningly low.

Aisling Ní Annaidh, engineering lecturer at University College Dublin, has developed a formula to calculate the minimum force needed for a blade or implement to penetrate bare skin in a stabbing incident.

“My research showed that the force required to stab bare skin is surprisingly low,” said Dr Ní Annaidh. “It’s in the order of 10 to 20 newtons, which corresponds to the weight of a bag of flour of 1 to 2 kilos in your hand. That’s really not very much,."

If you can stab someone with more then 2-4 pounds of pressure that knife is going to go into whoever you are stabbing.. All this bunt tip does is make accidental stabbings less likely and make this brand the last choice in intentional stabbings. Does nothing about slashing, which can be more fatal if the attacker knows where to slash since survival chances with a single stab (blade left in body) are not too bad. Bleeding out is what kills you.

Neat marketing ploy, but that's all it is.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: autoduelist

Gashtronomy

Apr 19, 2019
Make knives ceramic.

They can't cut you, but do cut cardboard, meat and veg.

On top of that, you can easily fashion the end like a hook, so stabbing someone is made almost impossible.

Or

Have a look at the root cause of knife crime; Black gang culture.

Gashtronomy

Apr 19, 2019
Magic. I have a bit of experience with blades and when I was introduced to the ceramic blade, I was blown away.

A normal Stanley knife blade will slice through you without much pressure, but the ceramic blade? I had to apply A LOT of force and it barely broke the skin. Though it did slice the fuck out of a cardboard box.

Cybrwzrd

Anime waifu panty shots are basically the same thing as paintings of the french baroque masters, if you think about it.
Sep 29, 2014
Magic. I have a bit of experience with blades and when I was introduced to the ceramic blade, I was blown away.

A normal Stanley knife blade will slice through you without much pressure, but the ceramic blade? I had to apply A LOT of force and it barely broke the skin. Though it did slice the fuck out of a cardboard box.
If a knife can't cut a person, then how can you use it to cut raw meat?

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Rorschach's Journal

hariseldon

Gold Member
Aug 22, 2018
Yeah that's not going to work.

I bought an expensive new bread knife and you only had to look at the fucking thing and your hands started bleeding.

PS wouldn't Stabby McStabberson just buy a regular knife? Who are these fucking idiots?
I once did a really stupid thing. I was slicing a bread roll with a big fuckoff bread knife and like an idiot held it the wrong way and ended up slicing pretty deep into the tissue on my finger.. blood pouring out of that mother fucker, skin and flesh flapping about like you wouldn't believe. It scared the shit out of me. The finger still has the scar.

MilkyJoe

Jan 29, 2014
I once did a really stupid thing. I was slicing a bread roll with a big fuckoff bread knife and like an idiot held it the wrong way and ended up slicing pretty deep into the tissue on my finger.. blood pouring out of that mother fucker, skin and flesh flapping about like you wouldn't believe. It scared the shit out of me. The finger still has the scar.
YIKES............

I fucking hate using knives in the kitchen

cryptoadam

... and he cannot lie
Feb 21, 2018
If they work as good as regular knives then this is an improvement. Its safer at work and st home against kitchen mishaps.

If it cant cut shit then its basically a butter knife.

Woo-Fu

incest on the subway
Jan 2, 2007
When are they going to start removing fingers so you can't make a fist?
After they stop picking their noses, for life.

These people are fucking idiots. Anybody with a piece of metal and something harder than that piece of metal can make a stabbing implement. Heck, they can do it with wood, plastic, stone, even hair. The world is filled with materials that your average human can turn into weapons. That's why we have zoos instead of live in them. Tool making, adaptability, we're at the apex for a reason.

Better get rid of all the pencils, we're going crayons with a legal max length of half an inch from here on out boys.

The problem isn't all of the objects that can be turned into weapons. The problem is all the fucking crazy people. Start doing something about the crazy people.

Last edited:

Teletraan1

May 17, 2012
Canada
After they stop picking their noses, for life.

These people are fucking idiots. Anybody with a piece of metal and something harder than that piece of metal can make a stabbing implement. Heck, they can do it with wood.

Better get rid of all the pencils, we're going crayons with a legal max length of half an inch from here on out boys.
Exactly. It will just be the equivalent to prison shivs. Anything that you can gather to form a stabbing weapon. Think of what can be gathered under complete incarceration. Now extrapolate to free society. Stop trying to remove the tools of evil people and go after the evil people.

Reactions: slugbahr

wordslaughter

Apr 17, 2019
It really is comical at this point, because I know people are actually serious about this kind of thing, and can't seem to see how silly, not only this is, but how silly it makes gun control in America seem.

It's like they want to put all the problem into inanimate objects when the actual problem is having people who want to kill. As long as you have people who want to kill they'll simply use whatever tool is handy.

If there are a lot of guns, they'll use guns. If there are no guns, they'll use "zombie knives" like in the UK.

The kind of people who would use a blunted knife are NOT the same people who are looking to kill someone with a knife, so it's completely pointless. Even IF you blunted every single knife in the world it's trivial to sharpen the point back or just make a new knife yourself from scratch.

Even IF you could somehow get rid of guns and knives, then killings with explosives would become a thing, or poison, or strangulation or throwing people of out windows. You could kill just as many people with bombs and poison as you can with a gun... maybe more.

Aug 29, 2018
Bartow, Florida, USA
I will admit in all the time I spent as a cook, I've never used a 10" chefs knife for point work, but I have occasionally knicked myself with the tip before though. I honestly wouldn't mind having a rounded good quality chefs knife for personal use.

Paring, utility, fillet, santoku, cleaver, etc. on the other hand can fuck right off with a blunt tip.

JBat

May 17, 2019
As an American, the knife hysteria is kind of cute. I have this knife

It can still murder the hell out of you. It's a great knife but for me it can't replace a classic chef's knife with a point and my 3in pairing knife can be deadly too. If you have the desire to do something planned or impulsive you will find a way.

Feb 25, 2013
Good lord, are that many people over there stabbing each other in their kitchens out of the blue that they really need to start making knives like this? Something in the water?

oatmeal

Jun 17, 2007
I went to dinner with my wife shortly after moving to the USA, and when our food came we didn't have any utensils on the table. As we were both former waiters, we often called it 'cutlery'. We asked the waiter if we could get some cutlery and he stared at me like I was retarded.

I looked at my wife for reassurance that I was saying the word right (since I had to shed my horrible Canadian accent) and she stared back at me befuddled.

Anyway, I had to end up saying fork and knife because the idiot couldn't surmise what I meant by cutlery.

Fucking millennials.

Afro Republican

GAF>INTERNET>GAF, BITCHES
Aug 24, 2016
What about those that buy knives through the cooking event loopholes? Every family should only have one knife and it won't be one of those metal military knives but those school lunch plastic knives, which is as effective at defending your family as an 1845 musket.

Assault knives need to be banned and we will have red flag laws just because.

Nov 13, 2016
Seems like a fine way to distinguish your brand from the competition. Most people probably won't use the pointy end anyway, so why have it?

I don't believe for a second it's going to prevent stabbings though. You can stab someone with a screwdriver, a piece of broken glass or even a knitting needle if you really wanted to. People who want to stab others will find ways to get that done regardless.

desertdroog

Aug 12, 2008
What in the absolute FUCK are you doing ol' Blighty? You can't spell that without the UK.

Alan Rickman was ahead of the game.

Reactions: slugbahr

Doc Honk

Oct 21, 2014
What a misguided load of shit.

If people want to stab each other, "blunt knives" is going to do diddly squat to stop them.

A pointy stick will be just as effective.
Or a Biro. Or a chopstick. Or strangulation with a phone charger cable. The list goes on. Also the knife in the OP's pic looks like it could still be quite dangerous in the wrong hands...?

Kreios

Oct 5, 2010
U.S.
Determination brings innovation in the face of adversity

in other-words, maybe raccoon in a bag or other creative killings will start happen instead.

Last edited:

slugbahr

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2019
The edge of a circle
My google searches this morning are interesting....learning is fun but makes you look like a serial killer in training.

Anyways, "Pioneering research into stabbing has revealed that the forces required to stab someone are frighteningly low.

Aisling Ní Annaidh, engineering lecturer at University College Dublin, has developed a formula to calculate the minimum force needed for a blade or implement to penetrate bare skin in a stabbing incident.

“My research showed that the force required to stab bare skin is surprisingly low,” said Dr Ní Annaidh. “It’s in the order of 10 to 20 newtons, which corresponds to the weight of a bag of flour of 1 to 2 kilos in your hand. That’s really not very much,."

If you can stab someone with more then 2-4 pounds of pressure that knife is going to go into whoever you are stabbing.. All this bunt tip does is make accidental stabbings less likely and make this brand the last choice in intentional stabbings. Does nothing about slashing, which can be more fatal if the attacker knows where to slash since survival chances with a single stab (blade left in body) are not too bad. Bleeding out is what kills you.

Neat marketing ploy, but that's all it is.
badblue
serial killer in training