• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CVG interviews Rockstar on GTA V: New details

Decent interview by CVG here guys, will add more as I go along. Some new details:
  • Gas tanks from cars can be shot and leak and cause a gas trail that can be ignited (useful against enemies like rolling them into a group and blowing it up)
  • Sticky bomb cars with TNT into enemies
  • Of the over 1000 car customization options, include bulletproof tires, engine tuning, roll cages, armor, turbos, strange sounding horns etc
  • These modifications can change the flow of a mission (bulletproof tires protects against bullets, more powerful armor against gangs/cops, etc)
  • Customized cars can end up impounded if left on the street; pay a fine to retrieve it
  • Less static melee fights, more of a free flowing system, lots of ways to approach enemies (behind, front, sides, etc) ,don't need to lock on
  • Hits are much more satisfying using melee weapons, great crunch to them
  • Destruction has been improved a lot
  • Much more advanced enemy AI, won't remain idle but will be dynamic and navigate the environment in combat to flank you
  • SWAT is very organized, focused, aggressive, gang members would be more gung ho
  • Your guns stay with you throughout the whole game, if you run out of ammo you don't lose it
  • Spent a lot of time on improving cover mechanics, much more responsive, jump over cover, move around, blind fire, much smoother

You can watch it here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=vBpTePVmdmg

Nibel

I respect Rockstar's abilities, but somehow this game seems to be way too ambitious for the current generation of consoles

Nonetheless, I'm pretty certain that they will deliver - sounds like GTA on steroids

Zep

Banned
I respect Rockstar's abilities, but somehow this game seems to be way too ambitious for the current generation of consoles

Nonetheless, I'm pretty certain that they will deliver - sounds like GTA on steroids

So did San Andreas, but they pulled it off. I think SA might have been too much for people at the time and they didn't see it through to the end.

sappyday

People probably thought SA was too ambitious especially after VC and 3.

BigDug13

Finally the car impounding features we have always wanted

Well this is their way of not making your custom cars disappear. Before, if you had to leave your vehicle for awhile and maybe you got into another couple vehicles, once you try to go back for your car it would be gone. Like gone gone.

Thrakier

Why don't they ask about the framerate? "Hey man we are a gaming magazine but we don't give a shit about how the game plays".

I wonder if we'll be able to do the mini-games in co-op now.

This game will only be complete when I can jack a nice car, crank up the stereo, pick my buddy up and engage in high speed jumps and escapes as smoke billows from the windows.

Sethos

Banned
Well this is their way of not making your custom cars disappear. Before, if you had to leave your vehicle for awhile and maybe you got into another couple vehicles, once you try to go back for your car it would be gone. Like gone gone.

That annoyed me so much in San Andreas. I think I customized a car like 2-3 times despite being a big lover of car customization. If you did customize a car and saved it, you wouldn't really use it for missions because a lot of missions meant running away from the vehicle you came in, riding another vehicle etc. So it would just be sitting in a garage taking up a spot and you could use it once and awhile when free-roaming.

Corsick

Will you be able to have bodyguards with your property like Vice City, or take allies around with you in cars like SA? Curious if you can move around in groups with AI and such.

Salsa

Gas tanks from cars can be shot and leak and cause a gas trail that can be ignited

tumblr_m1u5p7YPwY1qg6z0o.gif

That annoyed me so much in San Andreas. I think I customized a car like 2-3 times despite being a big lover of car customization. If you did customize a car and saved it, you wouldn't really use it for missions because a lot of missions meant running away from the vehicle you came in, riding another vehicle etc. So it would just be sitting in a garage taking up a spot and you could use it once and awhile when free-roaming.

That's always bugged me in these kinds of open world games like GTA or Saints Row. I have this custom car, I'll drive it around a bit, but then I'll drive to a mission, do the mission, and most of the time end up somewhere else completely, or I'm in a helicopter or some shit so screw the car. Or sometimes shit just breaks out in public like street gangs or cops show up and I gotta escape, I'll pull a grand theft auto and just choose any random car I see on the street. 2-3 missions/activities/free-roaming sessions later, that custom car is long gone.

Car customization is neat, but with the nature of the open-world game's missions and it's availability of free vehicles, keeping up your own personal ride is kinda a hassle. At least I'll be able to take it out of the impound when I want it.

I'm more concerned with the general driving mechanics and if they're still sailboats on wheels ala GTAIV, although the trailer doesn't seem to indicate that(although those might be because of his tricked-out custom car...hey, maybe I might wanna keep with my custom car this time around!)

Jb

Man, this might indeed completely overshadow the release of the XB1/PS4. Even Watch DOgs and AC4, which I'm psyched for, are going to have a hard time following this act.

I hope that cars having gas in them means that it will be an actual resource mechanic. I still think it would be cool if every car had a fuel gauge and could potentially run out of gas. It would give you yet another way to spend money and give purpose to gas stations in the world. I doubt it will be in, but you never know.

zma1013

So what happens when we easily flip our car and it explodes. Do we lose it forever and have to re-customize everything or what? My gripe with San Andreas was that there was no point to tricking out your car when it had the lifespan of a fruit fly.

I need to hear more about the blimps. I plan to hold knife-fight competitions on top of explosive covered blimps where after 2 minutes, I detonate the bombs, no matter what.

Mr Swine

Banned
So what happens when we easily flip our car and it explodes. Do we lose it forever and have to re-customize everything or what? My gripe with San Andreas was that there was no point to tricking out your car when it had the lifespan of a fruit fly.

I guess you will save the customizations and each time you destroy the car you have to find the exact same model and rebuy everything in one fellow swoop

sunnz

In GTA IV a car going upside down won't make it explode, ever. It will just stay upside down.

This means you can get out of the car, get into a nearby car and juts ram your car until it is in the correct position.

...but did they fix the driving?

You mean make the driving more easier and capable for people like you, who didn't understand the concept of breaking or turning properly? or didn't expect cars to have weight to them?

Ehh, hard to say but it seems like you are in luck, the driving does seem to be more simple and arcade like.

( Yes, I do love the IV physics and how they changed an open world game, sad to see them not be improved on, just dumbed down)

Sean

Banned
Sounds cool but who knows whether these will actually make the final release.

There was an enormous amount of features cut from GTAIV. I remember previews saying K-9 dogs would chase you, and Niko could climb up telephone poles, ride on the bus, call limos. And that Niko would have an MP3 player and you could buy new music from a record store in the game, and probably dozens of other things I'm forgetting.

Sounds cool but who knows whether these will actually make the final release.

There was an enormous amount of features cut from GTAIV. I remember previews saying K-9 dogs would chase you, and Niko could climb up telephone poles, ride on the bus, call limos. And that Niko would have an MP3 player and you could buy new music from a record store in the game, and probably dozens of other things I'm forgetting.

How long before release were those details mentioned? Even if they were meant to be in the game at some point, we're two months out from V's release.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
So the gun system is like Red Dead Redemption? I dearly hope so; that was an excellent system.

fader

its like they took away when they went to San Andreas -> GTA4 and are putting stuff back into GTA5 and adding more.. *sniff*

UrbanRats

That's always bugged me in these kinds of open world games like GTA or Saints Row. I have this custom car, I'll drive it around a bit, but then I'll drive to a mission, do the mission, and most of the time end up somewhere else completely, or I'm in a helicopter or some shit so screw the car. Or sometimes shit just breaks out in public like street gangs or cops show up and I gotta escape, I'll pull a grand theft auto and just choose any random car I see on the street. 2-3 missions/activities/free-roaming sessions later, that custom car is long gone.

Car customization is neat, but with the nature of the open-world game's missions and it's availability of free vehicles, keeping up your own personal ride is kinda a hassle. At least I'll be able to take it out of the impound when I want it.

I'm more concerned with the general driving mechanics and if they're still sailboats on wheels ala GTAIV, although the trailer doesn't seem to indicate that(although those might be because of his tricked-out custom car...hey, maybe I might wanna keep with my custom car this time around!)
In Saint's Row you always have ALL your custom vehicles in your garage, at all times, even if you blow up a thousand of them.

ampere

Yeah it might sound like a mean feature, but it's a way to get cars back when there was no way previously.

Sounds awesome.

Is there any information on which is the lead platform for GTA V?

No mention of lead platform that I have seen. They did say the gameplay trailer yesterday was from the PS3 version.

Brick

You mean make the driving more easier and capable for people like you, who didn't understand the concept of breaking or turning properly? or didn't expect cars to have weight to them?

Ehh, hard to say but it seems like you are in luck, the driving does seem to be more simple and arcade like.

Why, in a series that treats most everything from combat to its characters with such levity and absurdity, should the driving model be closer to Gran Turismo than it is to Rockstars own Midnight Club?

I'm mainly complaining because I want another Midnight Club.

Top Bottom