• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CVG secret WiiU news follow-up Rumor: 3D Mario to launch by October

Looking forward to it, but if the NSMB line couldn't save the Wii U, I doubt this will.

I believe a 3D Mario would be more successful at selling Console's to Gamers then NSMBU. Especially when you consider the other games that would be hitting around the same time. If all of the games below hit by the end of the year and we see a price cut/more attractive bundles the overall system library looks way more appealing to Core Gamers and especially "the Nintendo Core/fans".

-The Wonderful 101
-3D Mario
-Mario Kart
-Wind Waker HD
-Yarn Yoshi
-Pikmin 3

You add that to the handful of games already out (NSMBU, Zombi U, Lego City U, etc....) and games that have been announced and that will be coming out shortly after the Holidays (Bayo2, Smash, X, Retro's Title, etc...) and it should definitely help the Wii U start to build some momentum up. At least more than NSMBU was able to do.

Unfortunately at this point, I'll believe it when I see it. I guess they may be trying to get it out before PS4/Nextbox launch.

jaosobno

Point the suicidal part.

Not having a big conference which is infinitely more noticable by the general public (AKA people-that-buy-their-games) than a small event/Nintendo direct. Specially with this year's big hitters being Sony's PS4 and Microsoft's NextBox. Their big conferences will probably completely overshadow such small events.

Nintendo needs to show some balls, not cower behind some small booth.

I hope this doesn't end up a generation of rushed games like the GameCube. Sunshine and Wind Waker being rushed made them both a lot worse.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
For me, the way they can top the Galaxy games is to make the next 3D Mario NOT a Galaxy game and more like 64 and Sunshine.

Mario 64 done right very well could do it, I find that game to be good, but extremely flawed. Didn't really like Sunshine though.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
I hope this doesn't end up a generation of rushed games like the GameCube. Sunshine and Wind Waker being rushed made them both a lot worse.

Panic Nintendo is the best Nintendo hurrrgghhhhh burrrgghhhh whuffffffffffffff~

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Possible, realistic Wii U lineup from August until the end of the year:

August- Pikmin 3, Splinter Cell, Wii U Party

September- Rayman Legends, W101, Wii Fit U

October- Mario Universe, Wind Waker HD, Arkham Origins, AC4

November- Watch Dogs, CoD, Mario Kart, maybe Retro's project?

Brownie Brown was restructured into a support studio as of April, so they could be providing leg-work to get Mario out on time. The hint is in their new name '1-UP Studio'.

Pachimari

Soon I won't be able to resist Wii U.

Miiverse is on smartphones, the loading times has been taken care of (?) and it got New Super Mario Bros. U, Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate and soon a 3D Mario, The Wonderful 101, Pikmin 3 and Wind Waker HD.

If I can sell my Wii I'll probably grab a Wii U.

Malvingt2

Oh wow, I forgot about Retro...

My wallet is not ready, I need to save money, it is beginning to look a very packed second half with what we know from Nintendo and 3rd party, no more no games meme.

Schnozberry

I would think they'd hold Retro's game off until December or January to give it some air.

We could also see Yarn Yoshi, X and probably some other unannounced games in the 1H of 2014.

Sendou

Why are people shocked and/or questioning this? Iwata said as much in the January Direct

Iwata said 3D Mario Wii U will be playable at E3. When was Mario Galaxy first playable and when was it released? When was Pikmin 3 first playable and when will it release?

August: Pikmin 3 / Wii Party U
September: The Wonderful 101 / Wii Fit U
October: Super Mario Universe / The Wind Waker HD
November: Mario Kart 8 / Retro's Game
December: Pokemon Stadium 3 / X

Bold = Japan only in 2013.

Believe.

Stadium 3, my heart will go on. :'(

We need a proper console Pokemon spin-off, I mean like Stadium and GS games, they're too small now (like 1/3 their previous size) to make another console game.

So hopefully they do finally bring back the Stadium folks for a 3rd (err, 4th if you count the ORIGINAL gimped Stadium) go.

NSMB games may sell more in the long run, but they're not what I would call system sellers (anymore). 3D Mario games on the other hand very much are.

BowieZ

Banned
I wonder if it will star Luigi and he has to rescue Mario?

It is the Year of Luigi after all?

SUPER LUIGI WORLD

Banned
Looking forward to it, but if the NSMB line couldn't save the Wii U, I doubt this will.
What? Seriously?

tumblr_mlmmrleL8o1qdo29qo2_400.gif

NotLiquid

I feel like that if it'd launch in October, it'd be revealed already. CVG also isn't a very trustworthy site, as they have deliberately misquoted people in the past.

How so? Nintendo revealed Mario & Luigi 4 merely a couple of months before release. We know there's going to be a 3D Mario and Mario Kart this year, and reveals in early June seems the most likely considering E3.

miksar

If they wanted to rush things Pikmin 3 would've been out a long time ago, but I think they earned their lessons.

JavyOO7

Next Mario has a tough hill to climb. Wonderful games with the last few 3D Mario's... Galaxy 1 and 2 and Super Mario 3D Land. Now that I think about it I wonder how EAD Tokyo is going to respond. They have to hope its a great game and hopes more folks end up nabbing the console to play their game. Tough hill to climb!

Shahadan

what's worrying isn't this christmas, it's what coming after that. 2014 is probably things like mario strikers/golf/tennis or Kirby Boring Land

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I would think they'd hold Retro's game off until December or January to give it some air.

We could also see Yarn Yoshi, X and probably some other unannounced games in the 1H of 2014.

X? Not outside Japan. Assuming it's 2014 there it will probably be 2015 rest of the world. Unless it comes at the very beginning of the year, or maybe this year in Japan, we might see it at the end of next year.

And for some perspective, X looked further along in it's reveal trailer than Xenoblade did during it's reveal, and Xenoblade came out a about a year after it was revealed (including a ~6 mo delay). It's also been about 3 years since Xenoblade came out in Japan, and that game had a 2.5-3 year dev cycle once they actually got started with the concept.

Shahadan

These are the only games people care about on Nintendo systems. Should be pretty obvious at this point.
That's not even true. They're just brilliant games everytime, I know that doesn't matter apparently, but that's the reason why people are buying them.
Not to mention 3D mario is not every year

NeonZ

3d mario, kart and price cut worked out well for the gamecube.... oh wait.

In the last few months, the Wii U hasn't even done GC numbers. Getting their own fanbase fully on board with the console would be an improvement over getting no one.

The team also worked on Super Mario 3D Land in the interim. It'd be a tight schedule.

Both Galaxy 2 and 3d land reused a bunch of Galaxy assets though.

Nintendo needs to show some balls, not cower behind some small booth.

After NSMBU's and Nintendo Land's failures to be system sellers, I think Nintendo realizes that they've got nothing to get the mainstream on board with the Wii U right now and that's why they won't do a conference. For now at least, they'll just try to get their own fanbase to pick up the console.

Pyrokai

I hope they just get released so the Nintendo complaining threads stop. Sheesh. I know the complaints are legit, but damn, do we need 3 threads a day about it?

Schnozberry

X? Not outside Japan. Assuming it's 2014 there it will probably be 2015 rest of the world. Unless it comes at the very beginning of the year, or maybe this year in Japan, we might see it at the end of next year.

And for some perspective, X looked further along in it's reveal trailer than Xenoblade did during it's reveal, and Xenoblade came out a about a year after it was revealed. It's also been about 3 years since Xenoblade came out in Japan, and that game had a 2.5-3 year dev cycle once they actually got started with the concept.

I'm actually thinking X for this year in Japan and 2014 for US and Europe.

Here's to hoping Retro is rebooting Metroid so I can spend half a year 100%-ing it (don't play as much now that I have a family) and I can move right on to X.

I'm more interetsing on Retro's new game but Galaxy was one of my top 5 games of last generation, so I'll looking for this (Unless the new Retro game is the Mario 3D ... in wich case the universe'll implode)

Effect

This could be a problem I think. Mario Kart being put here or forced here kills the sales of every other Wii U game released in that month and for December. For that reason alone I don't want it out in 2013. Rather that month be the following.

Watch_Dogs, Call of Duty, Retro's project, and a continued but lesser push for Mario and Zelda. I'm being biased here because at the moment I want Watch_Dogs to at least do well and CoD to have a chance of putting up some decent numbers. If Retro's game is the big game for that month from Nintendo then that means it's a purchase for a LOT of people. If we assume people would be willing to buy at least two games at once that kills the chances of Watch_Dogs and CoD if Mario Kart is released that month. That's an automatic buy for nearly all Wii U owners out of habit. For those that might buy three that leaves them picking between WD and CoD instead of them buying both of them along with Retro's game ideally.

In the last few months, the Wii U hasn't even done GC numbers. Getting their own fanbase fully on board with the console would be an improvement over getting no one.

What kept GC numbers so high was its price. I'm willing to bet it'd do far worse if it were priced like the PS2 was.

I mean the thing was only $100 a couple years after release. It dropped price and had tons of bundles by the time it was 6 months old (The age the Wii U is now)

We'll see if Nintendo does budget pricing for the Wii U soon as well.

Smellycat

No can be surprised by this news, right?? Iwata himself said that there will be a new 3D mario at E3 and it makes sense for them to launch it this year.

Hiltz

what's worrying isn't this christmas, it's what coming after that. 2014 is probably things like mario strikers/golf/tennis or Kirby Boring Land

Iwata said its current software schedule extends from mid-year 2013 to early 2014. Smash Bros 4 should out some time within the first half of 2013 if it sticks with a 2 1/2 years of development time. We obviously don't know yet if other titles such as Fire Emblem X Shin Megami, Bayonetta 2, X, Yoshi's Epic Yarn will be out by 2013 or 2014. Then there's Retro Studios game which probably won't be out until the second half of 2014.

Top Bottom