• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cyberpunk 2020 creator to SJW’s - Who the (bleep) do YOU think you are...

bobone

I hope the game lives up to everyone's expectations.
This kind of mentality makes me more optimistic than I was a week ago.
Artistic endeavors should be 100% the creation of the individual, not influenced by other peoples nonsense.

I'll never understand why videogames have such a disproportionately high number of SJW's running around. My other hobbies and work never present any of these people at all.

Cosmogony

Much as I love Mike, his tone, his straightforwardness, his willingness to face the mob, some of what he wrote is dangerously close to stating only black people have the legitimacy to discuss the problems black people face. It's far left logic, applied in this case to deliver a non-far left wing message.

The validity of an argument does not depend upon the person making it. Just because it's Mike saying it, it's not automatically true, nor automatically false. The same would apply to any other black person, white person or trans person passing comment on these issues.

If truth is the ultimate goal and rationality the way to get there, anybody, African Americans, Asians, Eskimos, they all have the ability to put forward rational arguments, all competing in the open marketplace of ideas, all equally subject to scrutiny and all given a shot.

There's also irony in here. Mods of the other forum were quick to point out this is Mike's opinion and that there are other black people who have a different take. This had never occurred to them till now. Before it was convenient to let hang in the air the ideia all black people, all tarns people or all gay people think alike. I suppose this counts as progress.

But the point still holds.

It is categorically false that only black people have the ability and the legitimacy to talk about problems they face at large. The same would be true regarding any other community.

Arguments stand or fall on their merits, not on who happens to be making them.
And that's it.

Last edited by a moderator:

mcjmetroid

The new demo walkthrough thing they showed at E3 had you killing 2 black gangs. No one had a problem with the first gameplay walkthrough where you killed a load of white people of course.

Ya I was expecting something like this alright. Best thing to do is ignore them though. Say nothing.

Bryank75

Banned
Much as I love Mike, his tone, his straightforwardness, his willingness to face the mob, some of what he wrote is dangerously on the fence of stating only black people have the legitimacy to discuss the problems black people face. It's far left-wing logic applied to deliver a non-far left wing message.

The validity of an argument does not depend upon the person making it. Just because it is Mike saying it, it's not automatically true, nor automatically false. The same would apply to any other black person, white person, trans person passing comment on these issues.

If truth is the ultimate goal and rationality the way to get there, anybody, African Americans, Asians, Eskimos, they all have the ability to put forward rational arguments, all competing in the open marketplace of ideas.

There's also irony in here. Mods of the other forum were quick to point out this is Mike's opinion and that there are other black people who have a different take. This had never occurred to them till now. Before it was convenient to let hang in the air the ideia all black people, all tarns people, all gay people think the same. I suppose this is progress.

It is categorically false that only black people have the ability and the legitimacy to talk about problems they face at large. The same would be true regarding any other community.

And that's it.
Yes that is true but it’s also an issue that white, college educated white males with zero life experience seem to be the loudest and most vocal “representation” for blacks and minorities.... that’s not right, IMO.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Much as I love Mike, his tone, his straightforwardness, his willingness to face the mob, some of what he wrote is dangerously on the fence of stating only black people have the legitimacy to discuss the problems black people face. It's far left-wing logic applied to deliver a non-far left wing message.

The validity of an argument does not depend upon the person making it. Just because it is Mike saying it, it's not automatically true, nor automatically false. The same would apply to any other black person, white person, trans person passing comment on these issues.

If truth is the ultimate goal and rationality the way to get there, anybody, African Americans, Asians, Eskimos, they all have the ability to put forward rational arguments, all competing in the open marketplace of ideas.

There's also irony in here. Mods of the other forum were quick to point out this is Mike's opinion and that there are other black people who have a different take. This had never occurred to them till now. Before it was convenient to let hang in the air the ideia all black people, all tarns people, all gay people think the same. I suppose this is progress.

And that's it.
Anyone can discuss anything they want, but ultimately if we are talking about the rights or portrayal of a specific group of people, it's up to that group to decide how they feel about it.

checkcola

You know, I have never really bought into the hype of this game, but I think I'll get it. I've been Switch-crazy lately, so this will give me a reason to use my PS4, this and FF7Remake.

BigBooper

I hope people don't go parading this quote around all over the SJW internet to rub their faces in it.

Maybe Mike would like that or maybe he wouldn't, but it's enough to me that he said it and made clear what he thinks. There's no reason to attract the SJW lynch mob to go after him.

VertigoOA

Banned
Fight forever. Fuck em. This game is gonna be huge and they’ll cry non stop.

My boy Geralt loved pussy. Nailed every chick in the witcher he could; and not to forget a few visits to the local brothels.

Let them eat themselves away as they are. They have been losing badly for a couple of years now.

GreyHorace

Really hope Mike doesn'tback down from his stance. If you haven't noticed, many in the tabletop gaming world have capitulated to the SJW mob. In particular Wizards of the Coast.

On the other hand, all the outrage Cy2077 is getting is just encouraging more people to buy it. Kind of like what happened with Kingdom Come Deliverance, the Streisand Effect in action.

Owari

Was genuinely hyped for this game until Keanu showed up. Now I want the receipts. Gameplay footage is required before I care, they can play into the anti-SJW thing all they want, I need to see gameplay footage for the first time in the half decade this shit has been hyped.

Hendrick's

I hope people don't go parading this quote around all over the SJW internet to rub their faces in it.

Maybe Mike would like that or maybe he wouldn't, but it's enough to me that he said it and made clear what he thinks. There's no reason to attract the SJW lynch mob to go after him.
It's time we stand up to those assholes actually.

joe_zazen

Yes that is true but it’s also an issue that white, college educated white males with zero life experience seem to be the loudest and most vocal “representation” for blacks and minorities.... that’s not right, IMO.

You speak the truth.

Also, historically in America, laws were made by only white men, courts entirely staffed by white men, and enforced by white male cops, including in communities that were almost completely non-white. It created a lot of justified anger and it did not work. E.g., Los Angeles policing was borderline evil until Rodney King and the riots caused a rethink. Basically, hiring members of the communities being policed and de-emphasising para-military nature of the force (us vs them, they are the enemy) made the city safer and happier.

Not considering ethnicity may sound good in theory, but irl, if you want results, it has to be part of the equation. And that includes deliberately hiring and including representatives of minorities when it comes to creating and enforcing laws that affect them. Maybe one day we will be at the point where people don't see race ( it is a fictional construct after-all), but that day isn't today.

Last edited:

klosos

Fair play to him , i bet lots of other creators/writers would love to tell narcissistic little cretins to go jog on.

BruceCM

I wish he would have followed that up with "5) And WHO THE FUCK IS Anita Sarkeesian?"
He didn't do so because he'd never heard of her.... Maybe? :p
Here's the previously released gameplay video: Apparently, the stuff from E3 will appear soon, as well :D

Last edited:
Reactions: Isa

BigBooper

It's time we stand up to those assholes actually.
Yes, you're absolutely right. But is it time that we force someone to stand up to them just because he made a post on a message board full of like minded people?

If he chose to go at them directly, I'd back that 100%. That's not what he did.

Hendrick's

Yes, you're absolutely right. But is it time that we force someone to stand up to them just because he made a post on a message board full of like minded people?

If he chose to go at them directly, I'd back that 100%. That's not what he did.
I agree with that. I mean, I think he was going against them directly, but it's his call on how far he takes it.

GreyHorace

Not considering ethnicity may sound good in theory, but irl, if you want results, it has to be part of the equation. And that includes deliberately hiring and including representatives of minorities when it comes to creating and enforcing laws that affect them. Maybe one day we will be at the point where people don't see race ( it is a fictional construct after-all), but that day isn't today.
Law enforcement and videogame development are two different things. I agree that the inclusion of ethnic minorities in the business of making and enforcing laws is nothing but a good thing.

But videogames? Or any other creative endeavour for that matter? What great benefit is there that minorities should be included?

Bryank75

Banned
You speak the truth.

Also, historically in America, laws were made by only white men, courts entirely staffed by white men, and enforced by white male cops, including in communities that were almost completely non-white. It created a lot of justified anger and it did not work. E.g., Los Angeles policing was borderline evil until Rodney King and the riots caused a rethink. Basically, hiring members of the communities being policed and de-emphasising para-military nature of the force (us vs them, they are the enemy) made the city safer and happier.

I have very limited experience of this because I live in Ireland and police (gardai) are not armed, my closest friends are from Uganda and Nigeria and they seem to do quite well. It helps that we never had slavery here, I guess. My wife is Brazilian though and has experienced some bigotry, an old woman telling her to go back to her country...

Bwahaha

Neo Member
lol Epic! I hope they put Anita in the game and have a quest where they just absolutely shit on her, that would be hilarious.

But videogames? Or any other creative endeavour for that matter? What great benefit is there that minorities should be included?
Exactly, as long as they deliver believable characters that the majority straight white audience can relate to, I don't care what skin color/gender the developer has.

Cosmogony

You speak the truth.

Currently, there is no negative discrimination against black people under US law. None whatsoever. I do understand the temptation some people might feel, faced with having no real arguments, to evoke the old Jim Crow days. But the present is dramatically different, unequivocally for the better, and any insinuation that it isn't only invites laughter.

People who make claims about systemic racism must first define their terms, which they hardly ever do, and then present evidence. Again, somehow, they just can't be bothered to do that. Evidence, it just burns their hands.

Not considering ethnicity may sound good in theory,

It's not a theory. It's epistemology, that which has allowed mankind to move forward in terms of knowledge like never before. You want to throw that away, revert back to the days of anecdotal evidence, because, well, at the moment it's convenient for you. Standards will not be lowered just because you seem unable or unwilling to meet them.

but irl, if you want results,

Yes and different people want different results. For example, there's a section of the political spectrum that will stop at nothing to try to bend reality in an attempt to have it behave the way they, in their utter brilliancy, think it should behave. To achieve this, they're ready and willing to encroach upon the freedom of others without a care in the world.

I, on the other hand, want maximal freedom for everyone to live their lives as they choose, provided they don't trespass upon the freedom of others.

Notice the difference?

it has to be part of the equation.

Asserted, but not shown, therefore dismissed.

And that includes deliberately hiring and including representatives of minorities

And here we have it.
The Orwellian notion that minorities have "representatives". Do millions and millions and millions of people think the same just because they're gay, Hispanic, asexual or trans? This is the totalitarian bent showing it's face, If you're a member of a minority, apparently you let go of your individuality. You have to think like the group, you have to subscribe to the approved Party line.

And these representative's, who exactly elected them? Ah, no one did! They were appointed because of their activism. Voice volume. Great criterion.

No one in his right mind would ever suggest arbitrary majorities, say, straight people, think alike. It's just patently absurd. The absurdity is not rendered any less absurd when applied to minorities.

when it comes to creating and enforcing laws that affect them. Maybe one day we will be at the point where people don't see race ( it is a fictional construct after-all), but that day isn't today.

You've contradicted yourself there, but I will let you figure out for yourself.

Cosmogony

Anyone can discuss anything they want, but ultimately if we are talking about the rights or portrayal of a specific group of people, it's up to that group to decide how they feel about it.

The right to portrayal?
Pfff.
Please show it exists.
No one has any right to portrayal if it trespasses upon the freedom of others. If anyone wants to be portrayed, they can write a book themselves. They hold no rights over the work of others.

And the "group" does what? Say you wanted to learn how gay people would prefer to be represented. How would you go about it, nationally? Run a national poll? And how would you decide, simple majority, qualified majority, absolute consensus? And if a significant portion of gay people didn't take part, would you still consider the results valid?

And then what, would creators be bound to this Gay-approved portrayal?
If they happened to disagree, would they face any sanctions?

I'm interested in the details you have obviously thought about.

Some people are giving it their best to move us one step closer to a totalitarian society. But, thank goodness, it's all with the best intentions.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom