• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cyberpunk 2077 achieves massive success with 1 million+ playerbase

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Yeah I know. I'm a console player though

MenacingDazzlingCaterpillar-size_restricted.gif

op22

What the fuck!? Everyone is committing suicide!?
I need to look into this extraordinary build, Friend.
Yep. I didn't think I would ever see a move more personally beloved than Ryu's high kick causing opponents to vomit. Yet here I am in awe. People who think there's no such thing as dystopias without elite police departments enforcing law and order to maximum extent for all humans despite social status should look into it too.

Last edited:

Freeman76

I really hope they stick with this game. The world is amazing, almost second to none, but there is no point exploring it as they havent filled it with stuff to find.

If it had Yakuza levels of side activities, things to grind, hidden secrets etc it would be amazing. They made this outstanding world and put very little actual content in it, which is strange to me. I hope the expansion takes place in the current world but opens up new interiors, adds car customisation and tuning, maybe some new activities etc. Weave the story into whats already there and flesh the world out better. The design is breathtaking I just want more to do

ClosBSAS

No. It's because having a competent police/crime system would make the game feel more dynamic and interactive and would make for a more immersion game. There are supposed to be police in this world right? So why would wanting this system to work well not be valid?
Sure, if u wanna go shoot down police then go play GTA. The police is in the game, it's just not meant to be shot at like you want to. It's such a simple concept to understand yet ppl want to shoot the police to have "immersion". Go play an open world sandbox then my man. Cyberpunk ain't for you.

GymWolf

I think i'm done with the game until they patch an ultra hard mode, exploring and doing sidequest has no meaning when i'm a god on earth with zero challenge at all after 15-20 hours in a 50-100 hours game.

The game would be MUCH better if it wasn't an absolute cake walk that defeat the purpose of finding upgrades and shit.

Spaceman292

Banned
A horror masterpiece. It deserves a billion+ playerbase. People who thought murders and tortures streamed live on social media would never happen are in for a surprise. Future generations will be referencing this game to understand the effects of Elon Musk's and other scientists' ambitions like modern generations reference Orwell and Vonnegut.

LwI61aa.png

VUu7Eh9.gif
Making people burst into flames just by staring at them intently will always be fun

lefty1117

Gold Member
Yeah there are some QoL sort of things missing, like a repair shop for your car, car wash etc. But overall it's a lot of fun and a good foundation to build upon. I'm hoping for a sequel at some point a few years from now.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Too Late Grandhotelabc GIF by ABC Network

Brand already ruined
CDPR's brand will never be what it was, it's true. They were known as the company that always put their fans first and over delivered on promises. They won't ever be that again.

But Cyberpunk is a good game and a lot of people love it. If they make a sequel people will buy it. They just probably won't preorder it.

Roni

Gold Member
CDPR's brand will never be what it was, it's true. They were known as the company that always put their fans first and over delivered on promises. They won't ever be that again.

But Cyberpunk is a good game and a lot of people love it. If they make a sequel people will buy it. They just probably won't preorder it.
Witcher 3 had a good amount of problems at launch, if it didn't, CDPR wouldn't have worked so hard to remake inventory, character movement and other core things in the game...

Reactions: Isa

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Witcher 3 had a good amount of problems at launch, if it didn't, CDPR wouldn't have worked so hard to remake inventory, character movement and other core things in the game...
Witcher 1 and 2 as well. All had relaunches with a ton of improvements. But the last gen versions of Cyberpunk were on a different level and definitely damaged the brand.

I’ll never forgive them for changing the opening menu image and music from the bombastic to a lame little campfire crackling away.

GooseMan69

For real. The last gen versions Cyberpunk were especially bad, but I can’t believe people were surprised at the bugs and general lack of polish. The Witcher 3 was a jankfest.

Reactions: Isa

Drizzlehell

Banned
It's funny how so many people still hold grudges over this game 2 years later but at the same time are either quick to forget or just be wilfully ignorant of similar stunts that companies such as EA, Activision, or Ubisoft pull on a regular basis.

Not really making an argument against or in favor of this game, I just find this selective behavior fascinating.

ReBurn

Gold Member
It's funny how so many people still hold grudges over this game 2 years later but at the same time are either quick to forget or just be wilfully ignorant of similar stunts that companies such as EA, Activision, or Ubisoft pull on a regular basis.

Not really making an argument against or in favor of this game, I just find this selective behavior fascinating.
I don't think anyone forgot them. The difference has been that most of those games were pretty much left to die and the creators moved on to other games. People panned games like Assassins Creed Unity and WWE 2K20 for being the bugfests they were and despite getting patches to fix some stuff people just didn't care enough about them to keep talking about them since newer games took their place.

Then look at No Man's Sky. It was also a game that was not what was promised when it released. But Hello Games eventually turned it into something good. It got the same treatment as Cyberpunk did in the press and on social media, and people were just as upset and demanding refunds. NMS and Cyberpunk both released before they were finished and weren't what was promised, but their developers stuck with them. Mainly because they had to. Unlike EA, Ubisoft or Activision neither Hello Games nor CDPR really had any other games in the queue set to release to offset the cost of a flop. So they had to stick with these games and make them successful.

Last edited:

Drizzlehell

Banned
I don't think anyone forgot them. The difference has been that most of those games were pretty much left to die and the creators moved on to other games. People panned games like Assassins Creed Unity and WWE 2K20 for being the bugfests they were and despite getting patches to fix some stuff people just didn't care enough about them to keep talking about them since newer games took their place.

Then look at No Man's Sky. It was also a game that was not what was promised when it released. But Hello Games eventually turned it into something good. It got the same treatment as Cyberpunk did in the press and on social media, and people were just as upset and demanding refunds. NMS and Cyberpunk both released before they were finished and weren't what was promised, but their developers stuck with them. Mainly because they had to. Unlike EA, Ubisoft or Activision neither Hello Games nor CDPR really had any other games in the queue set to release to offset the cost of a flop. So they had to stick with these games and make them successful.
Yeah, but that's more of an argument on the state of the company. CP was successful even despite the backlash so I doubt it they would have to fold the company if they decided to abandon this disaster and just on to the next project. Maybe their reputation would suffer and their next game wouldn't be as hyped or people would be more cautious, but they would definitely survive as a company.

Although I think you make a good point about CDPR sticking with the game and wanting to fix it but probably not because they had to but because they actually give a shit and want to make amends. Which ironically makes the failure of this game to alive in everyone's minds. If they'd do what Ubisft did with AC Unity and distanced themselves from it by quickly releasing a follow up game that was better, then I'm almost certain that everyone would get over Cyberpunk very quickly.

I also can't help but wonder if the reaction to CP wasn't so strong because after The Witcher 3, CDPR became this poster boy for good industry practices for triple-A games, as a shining example of a "good guy" developer/publisher. To wax poetic: a fall from grace is more painful when you're put on such a high pedestal.

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
Yeah, but that's more of an argument on the state of the company. CP was successful even despite the backlash so I doubt it they would have to fold the company if they decided to abandon this disaster and just on to the next project. Maybe their reputation would suffer and their next game wouldn't be as hyped or people would be more cautious, but they would definitely survive as a company.

Although I think you make a good point about CDPR sticking with the game and wanting to fix it but probably not because they had to but because they actually give a shit and want to make amends. Which ironically makes the failure of this game to alive in everyone's minds. If they'd do what Ubisft did with AC Unity and distanced themselves from it by quickly releasing a follow up game that was better, then I'm almost certain that everyone would get over Cyberpunk very quickly.

I also can't help but wonder if the reaction to CP wasn't so strong because after The Witcher 3, CDPR became this poster boy for good industry practices for triple-A games, as a shining example of a "good guy" developer/publisher. To wax poetic: a fall from grace is more painful when you're put on such a high pedestal.
The difference between CDPR and Ubisoft is that CDPR doesn't have the ability to quickly move on from a failure. What other game could CDPR have quickly moved on to?

Ubisoft already had AC Syndicate in the pipeline and on track to launch in 12 months as well as a dozen other games across the stack in their release pipeline over the next few months. If Cyberpunk would have completely failed then what else did CDPR have to fall back on? Witcher 3 next gen patch that still hasn't released? Witcher 4 that's probably still years away?

CDPR had to fix Cyberpunk because if they didn't it probably would have killed the company. CDPR had to support Witcher 3 the way they did because if they didn't it probably would have killed their company. CDPR has to be good guy CDPR because they're not big enough to be asshole EA or Activision.

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
Gotta admit the Edgerunners show was fucking awesome and re-sparked my interest in the game too. Man I'm loving it now, they really made it better this game is cool

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I just finished watching Edgerunner and DAMN fine show, I’m not surprised the game is selling more because of it.

Top Bottom