• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cyberpunk 2077 Angry Review

iQuasarLV

/AngryJoe
47 minutes of AJ ranting about the bugs on a system by system basis. Ugg. Why even this late. He just bided his time and gathered a consensus of the internets social media views and put it in a review. He barely touched on anything beyond the bugs. When he did he got rubber banded right back to the bugs.

112 hours into the game and I have experienced exactly 3 serious bugs that required me to restart, 5 quest bugs that required me to reload, and a plethora of graphical glitches that did nothing more than smirk (t-pose npcs, ass V in cars/bikes). As far as AJ reviews go its a 4/10 in terms of actually trying. He phoned this one in.
//AngryJoe

As for the rest, I gotta say that conversations are a social contract between two individuals. If you post / tweet / update / status / open your mouth you are expected to abide by the rules and mores of the society you are interacting with. If you mention you dislike something @ another individual, someone is going to ask WHY. You are expected to offer an answer. It can be as stupid as "because I just do," or "I found X to be better than this and it is just a waste of time in my eyes."
Just because it is a virtual environment does not absolve you of your responsibility to conduct yourself properly in the eyes of the society of which you are interacting.

For Quentin, I found Django, Inglorious Bastards, and Reservoir Dogs of equal caliber to Pulp Fiction. When people break out PF as his best, I am going to immediately assume you mean when he was a breakout mainstream hit, and not his best in terms of his work catalog. You know because not everyone finds PF to their liking and thus not his best work. Hell I hear people say Kill Bill vol 1 was some of his best. I even heard once that Deathproof was (*shudder*). People's *best work is marred in the eyes of the opinion holder. This is why the proverb Beauty is in the eye of the beholder exists, or one mans trash is another man's treasure. Using subjective content to base an objective viewpoint is a bad starting point.

Some people up in here are being pretty open minded about the whole "give me your opinion, but expand upon it." school of thought. Because if you are just posting to get points or response clicks or your daily one-sided input, why aren't you on Reddit / Twitter / Facebook looking for empty devoid responses? Forums are not an echo chamber, and going to war over people asking why or expand or explain yourself is just indicative of poor thought process. If you are going to offer and opinion on something take the time to reinforce it with evidence. Otherwise as someone else said you got a straw man argument, and your credibility is out the window. This also goes to the source that you need to address the context of the comment and not the perceived argument that no one else has any idea where you are coming from. It is as though all 18 years of social engagement and command of the English language in public schooling goes out the window when we get on these damn machines.

Now we come full circle. This is why this AJ review is trash. There is no reinforcement of opinion. There is no collaboration of facts. There is no breakdown of opinion. Just one man ranting for 47 minutes and beating that dead horse while stoking the flame in an attempt to relight the fires of YouTube outrage. It was a hit piece instead of a thought out rant of a review.

Mozzarella

yeah but like Quentin, his poor efforts are better than than majority of directors better efforts.

and that's even easier to identify in the gaming landscape

I think the same applies here as far quest writing. CDPR writing for quests still has more detail and advance in it than the other open world RPG's on the market...so why would those open world RPGS not get this scrutiny?

oh because we're comparing Quentin to his other works, and not the majority of film. The film is mediocre for a "Quentin film". so we score it based upon that you expect and anticipate more from quentin.

more egregious here, because there are less amazing ambitious games in history than there are great films. so it's even easier to identify comparison.
This is off-topic but i actually think Tarantino is one of the most overrated directors of all time, i cant stand him and most of his films i find to be awful. But i loved Pulp Fiction and i thought Reservoir Dogs was also good.
I used him as an example because it was an easy one to make my point. I like Anime called Legend of the Galactic Heroes, its one of the best anime shows ever according to many fans too, now the director of this glorious show made a series called Arslan Senki and according to the many of his fanbase that one was mediocre anime show. That was my point, CDPR have created a game of gen caliber game with Witcher 3 and its two DLC. Now after 5 years they made Cyberpunk, according to gaming community and journalists..etc It seems the new game Cyberpunk didnt manage to top their previous work Witcher 3. Its also not unreasonable for them in the future to make a bad game. Even talented people can do bad job sometimes. Though i dont think Cyberpunk is bad, far from it but to me its in the 3or4/5 territory when im rating games. Whereas Witcher 3 manage to reach higher.
I agree their Quest writing is the best in the industry as of now, or maybe one of the best because i didnt play all games :messenger_tears_of_joy:

the witcher 3 did some things better. some things worse. you can prefer one game over the other but both are similar in production value and quality. and it's not a surprise because the same people made both games. i work in the film industry and a lot of people say that tarantino's peak was inglorious basterds because people have different opinions. but in any case. the general consensus is that tarantino films are great and he's talented. that is the opposite of what's happening here because the hyperbole here is nothing like that.

the equivalent would be people discussing once upon a time in hollywood and saying "oh tarantino is done. this movie is a piece of crap everything is mediocre. dialogues. plot. performances. pacing" of course some people can say that. and to those people i would say "what are you talking about? yes it might not be pulp fiction but the movie is still really good compared to other films"
True, but i think Witcher 3 did more things better than Cyberpunk, and your example of Inglorious Bastards doesnt do anything for my main point, because if you look at ratings, general consensus is Pulp Ficiton is his best work. But that doesnt mater, yes people like Tarantino, strangely i dont like him at all.
But yeah your second part..i disagree totally. People can claim that Tarantino made a shitty film like Death Proof, people say its awful lol. So clearly even directors that people view as talented can do bad things. But i say it again i dont think Cyberpunk is a bad game.

I think the things Cyberpunk did better was few actually, it was graphics because its new and they make use of ray-tracing. I think traversal over the map is also better, the variety of weapons is better, the gunplay in it is better than the swordplay in witcher.
Other than that, well nothing else imo. Witcher 3 did better: Main Quests, Side Quests, More choices that affect the endings, side quests effect endings and have interesting outcomes for example you may do one thing in a side quest and later in some other region you see its consequence there, Characters, Enemy Variety and Boss fights, Gwent mini-game, I liked the music more, Skill tree is better in Witcher 3, in Cyberpunk you can without investing in hacking be a good hacker, in Witcher 3 if you dont invest in combat tree you will do little damage, though both skill trees needed better work, even A.I of npc is better :messenger_tears_of_joy:.
And things both games are equal in quality imo is art direction and open world exploration. Although i have to point out that exploring the world of Witcher 3 can sometimes get you neat references and interesting side quests, whereas Cyberpunk it has those but really few from what i have seen so far, it was the vending machine and the talking gun, didnt see much otherwise, but you can find legendary items that are worth using so i can make an argument for equal score here as well.

But one final note you are missing here: Witcher 3 was not built over years and years of insane hype, it didnt have the amount of followers Cyberpunk had, they didnt release tons of episodes and hype videos with weird marketing that gives the customer an illusion of quality, like that video about Styles, that fucking video im salty about, they gave us those 4 different styles and when i visit a clothing shop all i get is the same ugly junk. Also 5 years later people generally expect high quality not going downhill.
So with these things in mind i can see why someone who liked Witcher 3 may say Cyberpunk is disappointing, its reasonable, i have no idea why you keep bringing it up in every discussion, because frankly if you dig deep enough into it, its actually a bad defense tactic, i can defend cyberpunk in a much better ways that saying "but witcher 3! had that"
(Django Unchained is a *fantastic* film)
I didnt like it the moment it went into crazy action. Had a great premise and then it went downhill.
Pulp Fiction is his best because it was original, fun with great flow of dialogue and great acting, the plot twists are good as well and i liked the characters. Uma scene with Travolta was fantastic. But thats offtopic.

Dude gave Skyrim a 10/10. He's been a toothless, pandering hack with merch to sell for over a decade.

Game has the same issue as what the witcher had, endless dialogue. It really kills the game.
So, like every game they've ever released and why many people have loved CDPR for nearly 15 years? Click the yellow dialogue. Blue is there if you want to know more. Weird complaint though...it's like me complaining about all the cutscenes in a Naughty Dog game or CS:GO having too much shooting.

SJRB

Gold Member
Kinda late to the party with this one.. Who even cares about a review at this point?

Not to mention all the talk about bugs; everyone and their mom has seen or experienced them over the last 5 weeks.

Didnt take long until the usual suspect from Era to show up

kbO4FH7.jpg

It's amazing how people like this exist. I can't see myself doing this.

Fallout New Vegas is better than Cyberpunk

The only thing you can get out of that statement is that the person views Fallout in higher regard than Cyberpunk for whatever reason, could be they don't like the Cyberpunk setting, could be they think the characters and diologue is boring. It's not a black and white statement, so what information are you even supposed to be extracting from that?
Honestly, its a vetting system to see if i should write off the conversation or not depending on the game they list lol

For example if it was skyrim, then mentally i'd check out. Id probably entertain the conversation for sport maybe, but mentally I wouldnt care anymore. The person already told me what they were about. We already value different things lol its like a trump/Biden vote. Religious vs non religious etc.

Fallout new vegas isnt AS bad because it has better quest and rpg systems than skyrim, but it does tell me that if the person prefers it overall as a game, then they probably still prefer the more interactive open world of that bethesda style, and clearly dont really even give much credence to the obvious gameplay improvements that something like cyberpunk has.

So it gives me an idea of what they prioritize. It would also explain the complaints that i dont seem to give a fuck about, but they do. Like NPC interaction for example. If youre coming from a...bethesda rockstar mindset then yeah, you're gonna try to force this game to be that.

Like im guessing you feel its a better overall game correct? Then cool, i have an idea of what you're willing to disregard in order to say that lol

Alebrije

Video is fun, specially the cool kids table....

Review is fine...its Joe's style but basically the cops AI, the NPCs AI, work that way in the game...that kills immersion and that hurts a lot an RPG game.

So if you bypass Joe's rants the core problems exposed are real for a lot of players.

He plays on PC no? PC players here seemed to say it was only the console versions that were broken...

I believe he does. He's also an idiot. He's the kind of PC player who screams about "unoptimized trash!" yet ignores or refuses to update their gpu drivers or clean their dirty ass PC.

This is off-topic but i actually think Tarantino is one of the most overrated directors of all time, i cant stand him and most of his films i find to be awful. But i loved Pulp Fiction and i thought Reservoir Dogs was also good.
I used him as an example because it was an easy one to make my point. I like Anime called Legend of the Galactic Heroes, its one of the best anime shows ever according to many fans too, now the director of this glorious show made a series called Arslan Senki and according to the many of his fanbase that one was mediocre anime show. That was my point, CDPR have created a game of gen caliber game with Witcher 3 and its two DLC. Now after 5 years they made Cyberpunk, according to gaming community and journalists..etc It seems the new game Cyberpunk didnt manage to top their previous work Witcher 3. Its also not unreasonable for them in the future to make a bad game. Even talented people can do bad job sometimes. Though i dont think Cyberpunk is bad, far from it but to me its in the 3or4/5 territory when im rating games. Whereas Witcher 3 manage to reach higher.
I agree their Quest writing is the best in the industry as of now, or maybe one of the best because i didnt play all games :messenger_tears_of_joy:
Lol i dont care about quentin much either, i mean they are good films but...yeah just imagine i mean any great director.

And I think with games its a bit different, but even with great directors there is a thing...even in one of their more mediocre works, thats going to be in that film that indicates its still was helmed by someone who is slightly more capable than most.

Some people didnt like the irishman as much as goodfellas, yet you still can tell the technique bejind it was masterful and that it was helmed by scorsese.

Same with game developers, even if say naughtydog made a new IP that wasnt as good as uncharted 2 or tlou. theres still guaranteed to be things that ND will do within that game that will exceed most of its competitors. So in a way, elements of talent almost always persist

Been following the man even before he was on youtube. Never seen him say any racist shit, but that is how these people are. Trying to search for racist bogeymen even in places they don't exist.
The word has lost it's meaning.

Energy can be better spent playing video games. Or curing cancer, I dunno. Anything but this pathetic excuse of an existence.

If AngryJoe isn't your cup of tea, why even.

The word has lost it's meaning.

Energy can be better spent playing video games. Or curing cancer, I dunno. Anything but this pathetic excuse of an existence.

If AngryJoe isn't your cup of tea, why even.
People just love to hate, makes themselves feel better to tear others down. Internet loves negativity. I like Joe for the most part, has his flaws in personality and content sometimes but respect his stance against BS in the games industry. He is very Biased to CDPR so I respect him giving tough love here.

Kenpachii

Dude gave Skyrim a 10/10. He's been a toothless, pandering hack with merch to sell for over a decade.

So, like every game they've ever released and why many people have loved CDPR for nearly 15 years? Click the yellow dialogue. Blue is there if you want to know more. Weird complaint though...it's like me complaining about all the cutscenes in a Naughty Dog game or CS:GO having too much shooting.

It's all about balance. Pure gameplay games are fine like counterstrike because that's what i play games. the same as pure dialogue content is also fine because that's why u watch movies for. With games u can have dialogue in it but when it becomes to extreme it kills the game completely to the point u just start doing other shit when its rolling or u have no clue anymore what the hell u are doing because u skip all of it just to make it end.

Its'bad game design. It gets even worse that no matter what u choose in the dialogue it always ends the same it seems, it feels like nothing really matters for shit in the time i played it. While with games like divinity 2 dialogue is present but it doesn't prevent the gameplay attached towards it, its short and everything matters and everybody's experience is always different because of it.

The balance is off, witcher 3 balance was also off and frnakly the game could have been massively improved upon but because its there first real open world game u can look through it and say well its a good start. With there last DLC they improved this drastically and it really felt like a good balance.

Cyberpunk however its completely off to the point its hard to get through it unless u are really into some b tier acting and endless story's.

U can like it, i don't.

They had all the time they needed to finally solve this and actually move forwards with it but failed hard. The game is at this stage for me nothing more then a benchmark.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Been following the man even before he was on youtube. Never seen him say any racist shit, but that is how these people are. Trying to search for racist bogeymen even in places they don't exist.

He actually exposed the EA censorship of "White Man" in the text chat in BF5, yet the rest didn't seem bothered with that outrageous racism from EA.

He actually exposed the EA censorship of "White Man" in the text chat in BF5, yet the rest didn't seem bothered with that outrageous racism from EA.
Ehh I will actually give them the benefit of the doubt on that one. BFV had some weird words banned that made no sense. Joe is also of Hispanic origin. So technically they are hating on a minority :messenger_tears_of_joy:

So much time spent complaining about bugs. I get it, but after every other review already doing the same thing it’s hard to get through this one weeks later. I skimmed past a lot of it. Some of the footage he used is even the same YouTube bug clips we’ve seen used over and over in a dozen other reviews. I know he puts a lot more effort into his reviews then most, but this isn’t really a good watch this late.
You should watch BeatEmUps review then. He hardly talks about the bugs, it's the best review I've seen.

luffie

People hating Joe talking about bugs is weird man, bugs is a thing.

People who also says "i didn't experience bugs..." are also weird man, as if your experience is the only objective one. Joe literally streamed his playthrough and experience the bugs, but people still complained that he complained about bugs, smh.

At the end of the day he is honest about his own review and that's what matters. Don't agree about his review? Fine, but don't go about talking as if his bugs experience is non existent and it's all just playing to the "base".

I truly enjoy CP2077, but with it's unpolished state and a myriad of other issues, I don't feel like playing it anymore, ended it once, and uninstalled it. I'd probably replay it again next year if cdpr has dlc, and expansions out. Meanwhile Witcher 3 was played and replayed for a very long time, because it didn't feel like it's missing a lot of features and content like CP2077. So i get it when he says he doesn't feel like playing it.

FrankWza

Django, Inglorious Bastards, and Reservoir Dogs of equal caliber to Pulp Fiction
Pulp and IB are masterpieces. The rest of his movies are good to great but those 2 are perfect. Especially pulp fiction. when you consider the influence it had on movies in general. From indies to copycats it’s his most influential movie and the one he’ll be known for and that’s saying a lot.
I think people hate on him because it’s his persona that is annoying. It’s old news and he had to come in and say his piece in his costume to put a stamp on it.

sncvsrtoip

I have feeling that AngryJoe first read players comment on metacritic and then score games accordingly to this comments

Last edited:

Kadayi

Banned
I"m really looking forward to playing this even with all the controvery. Just not in my budget currently. I can't wait though. I've heard great things mostly for PC.

And I had kind of forgot angry joe. I need to get back into watching him.

Having a blast with it, but I'd say maybe wait for the 1.1 & 1.2 patches to drop (the first of which should land next week) as that should iron out a lot of the issues.

People who also says "i didn't experience bugs..." are also weird man, as if your experience is the only objective one. Joe literally streamed his playthrough and experience the bugs, but people still complained that he complained about bugs, smh.

At the end of the day he is honest about his own review and that's what matters. Don't agree about his review? Fine, but don't go about talking as if his bugs experience is non existent and it's all just playing to the "base".

I truly enjoy CP2077, but with it's unpolished state and a myriad of other issues, I don't feel like playing it anymore, ended it once, and uninstalled it. I'd probably replay it again next year if cdpr has dlc, and expansions out. Meanwhile Witcher 3 was played and replayed for a very long time, because it didn't feel like it's missing a lot of features and content like CP2077. So i get it when he says he doesn't feel like playing it.
The thing is people are focusing too much on the bugs. This game is a disappointment without the bugs. I actually believe CDPR released the game with the bugs to drift the narrative, because if there weren't any bugs people would be talking about all the promises they made.

Top Bottom