• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cyberpunk 2077 delayed because of current gen consoles, new source claims

Bkdk

Just release the PC version earlier, they should talk with Nvidia and make it a ampere optimized game and use CP2077 as a game that comes with all high end ampere cards. Many people will be looking to build a PC now and it will sell loads.

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
We now literally have an example of last gen consoles sapping resources and causing delays to a high profile title, but we will still have these armchair idiots going "hur dur cross gen pro-consumer, something something anti-consumer".

I wish I had less power to work with - said no developer ever.

We now literally have an example of last gen consoles sapping resources and causing delays to a high profile title, but we will still have these armchair idiots going "hur dur cross gen pro-consumer, something something anti-consumer".

I wish I had less power to work with - said no developer ever.

In business, and especially in relationships, nothing is that simple!

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
And people are happy with Microsoft's decision to carry the OG Xbox One through to next gen? Honestly, Xbox Fanboys support the dumbest decisions.

giphy.gif

Tell 'em! Never understood how people thought current gen systems wouldn't hold back next-gen games.

Ascend

Funny how I see multiple people arguing that maintaining maximum compatibility across console generations is a bad thing... I guess it's real easy to find a scapegoat to blame and direct your anger towards. Somehow the consumer having more choice/options is bad. Go figure. Hating on the Xbox is popular I guess.
To me, it's a very good thing that you don't immediately need a new console to play the launch games, which more often than not are far away from the new hardware's potential anyway.

Game delays are not rare nowadays, and this is no different. If you're salty because you have to wait longer for a game to be released, that's your problem. You're not going to die if you wait a few months. Deal with it.

people acting like Series X having no exclusives is a good thing, are out to fucking lunch.

this is proof that its a very shitty approach to next gen.

I think it's a disaster, not for X sales as the casuals will still buy, but to gamers that want to see boundaries being pushed (gameplay and graphics/physics) next gen.

We've had almost 8 years of games constrained by netbook CPUs and HDD. It means on XsX you'll be served more of the same mediocrity but at higher resolutions/fps. Fuck that.

xrnzaaas

That's too bad. I would rather CDPR prioritized fps over high resolution!
Unfortunately it's the state of the whole industry right now. Sony & Microsoft started heavily promoting 4K when Pro and X came out instead of also focusing on perfectly stable 60fps in 1080p. At least with some console games you have the built-on option to choose between higher framerate or image quality.

GHG

Gold Member
Tell 'em! Never understood how people thought current gen systems wouldn't hold back next-gen games.

"Scaling" supposedly.

And that's said without them realising the average 2019 mobile phone has a more powerful CPU than the jaguar cores in the base consoles.

Scaling on the PC is entirely different. You give everyone a bunch of options and to those with lower end hardware you simply say "good luck". With consoles they can't do that and need to get their hands dirty to make things work... At 30fps.

But even still, you won't find any AA/AAA game released in the last 4 years or so that has a minimum CPU requirement as low as the jaguar CPU on consoles. Current day low-mid range PC hardware is still far more capable than the current gen base hardware units. It's just that very few want to game at 30fps under 1080p.

So a lot of the time when you hear people on the PC saying a game doesn't run well, that "not running well" is still far better than whatever these consoles are producing which more often than not is sub 30fps and sub 1080p.

Last edited:

vkbest

I won't be surprised if CDPR comes out and says they're scrapping the current gen versions in favor of next gen.

yes, CDPR surely prefer scrapping 150 millions consoles, for around 6-10 millions Sony and Microsoft will sell in 2020 holidays. lol

this game is delaying because CDPR didn't want to do crunch

Last edited:

Journey

Banned
And people are happy with Microsoft's decision to carry the OG Xbox One through to next gen? Honestly, Xbox Fanboys support the dumbest decisions.

giphy.gif

Nice moving of the goal posts, this has no effect on how Cyberpunk is going to look or perform on the PC or next gen consoles, in fact in means the opposite, the fact that it runs like shit on Xbox One means it wasn't the target console, it also means that POWER DOES MATTER! those crying about Xbox One now will be crying about PS5 next gen if it is in fact underpowered by 30% as rumors suggest lmao.

CONGRATULATIONS!
opt1199729547yfr9-gif.1311308

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
Nice moving of the goal posts, this has no effect on how Cyberpunk is going to look or perform on the PC or next gen consoles, in fact in means the opposite, the fact that it runs like shit on Xbox One means it wasn't the target console, it also means that POWER DOES MATTER! those crying about Xbox One now will be crying about PS5 next gen if it is in fact underpowered by 30% as rumors suggest lmao.

CONGRATULATIONS!
opt1199729547yfr9-gif.1311308

Ok so now you think Microsoft will be happy to release games that chug along on the base Xbox One while the Series X is completely fine? Enjoy your games designed around 6 year old jaguar cores I guess.

In my view CDPR are doing the right thing here in not compromising the vision of their game to suit some shitty underpowered and outdated hardware. They are paying the price now if the reason for the delay is true, but they should just have the balls to come out and delay only that version or cancel it all together.

GymWolf

To the surprise of no one, other than the One X the current gen offerings are an embarrassment spec wise.
One X still has a shitty jaguar laptop cpu, so no...
Open world of this scope with a shitload of things on screen needs decent cpus to work well, i can assure you that cdproject is sweating to port the game even on the most powerfull console right now.

Going by what the Xbox top brass guy said, Xbox Series X will still be getting games that have to be released on the ancient relic that is the XB1 in 2021.

Who would have thought at XB1's release, exlusives 9yrs in the future would still have to run on it. It's a shocking decision by MS.

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

But they promised no crunch for this game, some months ago.

They've said a lot of things that they've since changed their tune too. They have also said that the delay was not because of next gen consoles, which I personally think is bullshit. Hence, I will not be surprised if they make Cyberpunk a launch game for PS5 and XSX.

I agree that ignoring a 150 million user base is flat out stupid, and most likely won't happen, but it's clear that this game has grown immensely in scope during these last years and current gen hardware is holding back their vision.

Last edited:

Lone Wolf

This game has been in development since the current gen released, so I find it difficult to believe that now they are a hinderance. This is on CDPR

Last edited:

vkbest

One X still has a shitty jaguar laptop cpu, so no...
Open world of this scope with a shitload of things on screen needs decent cpus to work well, i can assure you that cdproject is sweating to port the game even on the most powerfull console right now.

Jaguar is shitty CPU for today standard but is not a laptop CPU you are talking about. In fact, using all cores is more powerful than some i3 (2 cores) people had 3 years ago, the problem, is few developers are using > 4 cores in an efficient way

You are mixing Jaguar from consoles (8 cores vs 2-4 cores on laptop, and 2x cache on consoles)

GymWolf

So devs don't have problems with next gen titles on switch but with this gen titles with this gen consoles 🤔
Yeah, right now current gen games with good graphics like wolfenstein or witcher looks like absolute shit on switch but i'm sure there is absolutely no problem to port nextgen games on the same hardware :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
They probably make this port with their hands behind the back...

You people need to stop being so naive with all the things devs spit out of their mouth...

Ascend

And meanwhile, The Witcher 3 was ported to the Switch. And despite the Xbox One CPU being just slightly faster than the PS4 one, it's definitely the Xbox One that is the problem.... :pie_thinking:

ethomaz

Banned
"Scaling" supposedly.

And that's said without them realising the average 2019 mobile phone has a more powerful CPU than the jaguar cores in the base consoles.

Scaling on the PC is entirely different. You give everyone a bunch of options and to those with lower end hardware you simply say "good luck". With consoles they can't do that and need to get their hands dirty to make things work... At 30fps.

But even still, you won't find any AA/AAA game released in the last 4 years or so that has a minimum CPU requirement as low as the jaguar CPU on consoles. Current day low-mid range PC hardware is still far more capable than the current gen base hardware units. It's just that very few want to game at 30fps under 1080p.

So a lot of the time when you hear people on the PC saying a game doesn't run well, that "not running well" is still far better than whatever these consoles are producing which more often than not is sub 30fps and sub 1080p.
Not just that scaling on PC is limited to a minimum hardware too to allow devs to slowly progress in the use of new technologies found with new hardware.

The minimum increase every year until you reach a point that a feature is already in all hardware of your range and you can freely use that feature without do any conditional operation.

I want to see more bold developers like Crytek in the past with Crysis that pushed PC development progress way faster than it usually does year after year.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Jaguar is shitty CPU for today standard but is not a laptop CPU you are talking about. In fact, using all cores is more powerful than some i3 (2 cores) people had 3 years ago, the problem, is few developers are using > 4 cores in an efficient way

You are mixing Jaguar from consoles (8 cores vs 2-4 cores on laptop, and 2x cache on consoles)
Ok my point is that It's the same cpu for all the console, xone x has a better clock if i remember well, still and ultra shitty cpu to work with for a gigantic game like cyberpunk in 2020.

Performance are not only gpu related especially on open world game with a lot of noc, ia, and ambiental destruction if the old trailers are still valid...
People on pc with far better cpus are gonna sweat like crazy to get good performance with this game...

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
People on pc with far better cpus are gonna sweat like crazy to get good performance with this game...
Just to add... In PC game workload have to enter in the priority scheduler of the OS to use the CPU... so a lot of variables interfere in the performance like the own OS, background process, apps opened, multiples tasks, etc etc etc.
That is how most PC users play games.
Of course more hardcore PC gamers will set Affinity and Priority and reserve cores just to the game processes... not allowing the OS schedule to use them for others tasks that helps a lot but there is the OS schedulers yet working in background that are not found on consoles.

In consoles the CPUs cores available to games are basically free to games only... you have these CPU-cores only for your game tasks.

Last edited:

GymWolf

I won't be surprised if CDPR comes out and says they're scrapping the current gen versions in favor of next gen.
Gaf becoming a woke site with brap and matt as a chief captains with bleached hairs is far more possible than cdproject ignoring hundreds of milions current gen consoles...

GymWolf

Just to add... In PC game workload have to enter in the priority scheduler of the OS to use the CPU... so a lot of variables interfere in the performance like the own OS, background process, apps opened, multiples tasks, etc etc etc.
That is how most PC users play games.
Of course more hardware PC gamers will set Affinity and Priority and reserve cores just to the game processes... not allowing the OS schedule to use them for others tasks that helps a lot but there is the OS schedulers yet working in background that are not found on consoles.

In consoles the CPUs cores available to games are basically free to games only... you have these CPU-cores only for your game tasks.
If task manager is right, my cpu is occupied by OS and shit by 3% of usage during gaming, not really a great percentage...

Isn't the pc smart enough to convoy all the power in the right place while gaming??
Of course is more occupied than console, but not by that much (if you have a clean pc where everything work perfectly)

Journey

Banned
Going by what the Xbox top brass guy said, Xbox Series X will still be getting games that have to be released on the ancient relic that is the XB1 in 2021.

Who would have thought at XB1's release, exlusives 9yrs in the future would still have to run on it. It's a shocking decision by MS.

And a good decision if you ask a gamer that is not quite ready to move up the chain. It's good for the brand and will affect a game's visuals about as much as the Nintendo Switch affected the way The Witcher 3 looks on PC... oh wait!... it didn't affect it at all, so what is this about? concern trolls trying to find a problem that doesn't exist.

Last edited:

xrnzaaas

This game has been in development since the current gen released, so I find it difficult to believe that now they are a hinderance. This is on CDPR
Current gen consoles have struggled for a few years now. A lot of triple A games suck on consoles compared to a decent PC in terms of performance and image quality. CD Projekt isn't the only company dealing with severe console limitations. Of course some devs tend to handle this issue better (like through "smart" downgrades), some worse.

And a good decision if you ask a gamer that is not quite ready to move up the chain. It's good for the brand and will affect a game's visuals about as much as the Nintendo Switch affected the way The Witcher 3 looks on PC... oh wait!...

A gamer that's 'not quite ready' ? What, they will have had 8 FKING YEARS mang. 8 years by the time XseX lands. No I'm sorry that's ridiculous. 5 years was enough already, things move on, progress is made.

Jag CPUs were old in 2014 let alone by 2021.

Lone Wolf

Current gen consoles have struggled for a few years now. A lot of triple A games suck on consoles compared to a decent PC in terms of performance and image quality. CD Projekt isn't the only company dealing with severe console limitations. Of course some devs tend to handle this issue better (like through "smart" downgrades), some worse.
Yeah good point I agree with you. Perhaps this game should have targeted PC and Next gen only.

xrnzaaas

Yeah good point I agree with you. Perhaps this game should have targeted PC and Next gen only.
This is definitely a tough case for CDPR. Dropping current gen consoles is out of the question for a huge game like Cyberpunk, because you can't make big profit off PC and early next-gen sales. On the other hand the game screams that it's too much for the current generation to handle. I dunno, maybe the studio should've been a little bit less ambitious from the start knowing that it would be very likely that the game would still launch during this generation.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
This is all on CD project. They have a history of downgrading and yet they designed the first demo on a 1080Ti at 1080p and 30 fps. That thing is over 10 tflops and around 8x more powerful than the PS4 and they thought they could get it to run on a 1.3 tflops console with jaguar CPUs?

Of course not. they knew this and didnt care. if they had any principles they wouldnt have promised to launch this on current gen consoles. this shouldve been targeted for next gen consoles as soon as they realized that they couldnt get their gameplay demo to run over 1080p 30 fps on a 1080ti.

greedy fucks will downgrade both versions and launch it on current gen consoles where it will run worse than control and look nothing like the original reveal.

Fake

Speaking in a podcast, which you can watch below, Niespielak says that the original Xbox One console is not powerful enough to run the game properly and apparently, Cyberpunk 2077 performance on the console is "extremely unsatisfactory".
Borys' sources confirmed that if "this problem with Xbox has not been solved by January 2020, the release date must be postponed."

I guess D dark10x deserves a totally mention because he and his team already pointed that many times:

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Funny how I see multiple people arguing that maintaining maximum compatibility across console generations is a bad thing... I guess it's real easy to find a scapegoat to blame and direct your anger towards. Somehow the consumer having more choice/options is bad. Go figure. Hating on the Xbox is popular I guess.
To me, it's a very good thing that you don't immediately need a new console to play the launch games, which more often than not are far away from the new hardware's potential anyway.

Game delays are not rare nowadays, and this is no different. If you're salty because you have to wait longer for a game to be released, that's your problem. You're not going to die if you wait a few months. Deal with it.

YES! We need to strip consumers of some options. Don't be this entitled. At some point consumers will need to buy something new, to play the new games. Xbox One and PS4 can't be supported forever.

A gamer that's 'not quite ready' ? What, they will have had 8 FKING YEARS mang. 8 years by the time XseX lands. No I'm sorry that's ridiculous. 5 years was enough already, things move on, progress is made.

Jag CPUs were old in 2014 let alone by 2021.

I've never understood people that talk about videogames on an internet forum would care about "those" types of gamers. Those people aren't like us. If you've waited 8 years to buy a PS4 or Xbox One, then you don't deserve to play Cyberpunk 2077.

MilkyJoe

Cross-gen game confirmed

But muh PS5 exclusives...

giphy.gif

You know it's only MS exclusives?

The reason PCDR probably want this on current consoles and not a next gen launch title is somewhere to the tune of 160 million potential customers at launch, paying $60, over a handful of million customers at $60 and then $30 or less to the late adopters over the next few years. They've only been working on it for the entire gen, they probably want some sort of return on the investment.

MS can port all their 1st party games down to last gen as they did this gen with Forza Horizon 2. Same game, vastly different IQ. And being as they are both x86 that porting will be much easier. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
Top Bottom