• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cyberpunk 2077: development in full swing

I'll say by the end of 2018. With that many people working on it, bearing in mind they started production before Witcher 3 came out, and were in full production during the development of the Witcher 3 DLC packs, that gives them a full 2.5 year dev cycle, not including all the time spent working on the game prior to May 2015, pre-production, some full production, etc. So if you combine it all together, end of 2018 would put the game at a minimum 3.5 year dev cycle, and bear in mind more people working on it than Witcher 3, a quicker turnaround is clearly a priority. And they won't announce a date and then disappoint people by delaying like they did with Witcher 3. They'll wait until they know for sure.

Flipyap

2 games and a whole saga of books. It's not idiotic. It's fucking disastrous.
Two games whose storylines weren't continued in the third one and a whole saga of books the vast majority of its audience didn't (and wasn't expected to) read.
It would be perfectly fine if the same story were to be told about a set of brand new characters, because that's exactly what they were to the majority of The Witcher 3's audience.

Existence of the book series is actually detrimental in this case because The Witcher 3 treats its ties to those so loosely, with so many parts not lining up, it feels like they forgot to reboot the books along the way and instead released a sequel to a loose adaptation that doesn't actually exist.
I've read the books and yet I had to relearn who most of its characters were when I played the games and by the end of the trilogy it became clear that the game series can't even take place in the same universe.

Gotta love the guys saying the controls in the Witcher 3 aren't

They are so fucking bad that they released a patch to fix them.

Even CDPR knew the controls were bad

boskee

Gotta love the guys saying the controls in the Witcher 3 aren't

They are so fucking bad that they released a patch to fix them.

Even CDPR knew the controls were bad

They added alternative controls, not "fixed" the original ones.

On a different note, people should remember, that CD Projekt Red is going to release TWO AAA titles in the next 5 years. 2019-2021 release of Cyberpunk 2077 is highly unlikely. I'm betting on 2018.

Tovarisc

Two games whose storylines weren't continued in the third one and a whole saga of books the vast majority of its audience didn't (and wasn't expected to) read.
It would be perfectly fine if the same story were to be told about a set of brand new characters, because that's exactly what they were to the majority of The Witcher 3's audience.

But Witcher 3 does directly continue story set by 1 and 2? Nilfgaard invasion is direct consequence from political events going back all the way into TW1, major part of TW2 story arcs. TW1 and 2 both deal with Geralt's amnesia and by end of TW2 he has his memories back, all of it. This leads to beginning of TW3 where he is chasing after / looking for Yen because he wants to reunite with her. Stuff surrounding Ciri is semi-new to players even when Wild Hunt stuff has been started already in TW1 and 2.

So yeah, TW3 continues a lots of threads from earlier games.

Edit: Also tons of stuff that I don't mention here, would need write a wall.

dr_rus

Next week?!

aa7EjUO.gif

Didn't Hearts of Stone kinda explain this? Or I guess rationalize it depending on how cynical you are?

It's set in an antiquity Nordic/Slavic setting. Which is kinda heavily populated by people of white complexion. Where nations are fairly self contained except when invaded or at war. There was a lot of ethnicities that weren't present in the game.

Plus the developers are Polish. It's kinda silly to both expect and hold them to expectations and ideals of American cultural norms with regards to ethnic representation in videogames.

I know they have fictional creatures and shit in there. That's that tired ass shit I always hear and I wonder if people really actual think about that shit when they say it. People of color are less realistic than the supernatural creatures in there. That Polish thing or Japanese thing people brought don't amount to shit especially when they're marketing their shit on a global front.

Didn't Hearts of Stone kinda explain this? Or I guess rationalize it depending on how cynical you are?

It's set in an antiquity Nordic/Slavic setting. Which is kinda heavily populated by people of white complexion. Where nations are fairly self contained except when invaded or at war. There was a lot of ethnicities that weren't present in the game.

Plus the developers are Polish. It's kinda silly to both expect and hold them to expectations and ideals of American cultural norms with regards to ethnic representation in videogames.

Got dwarves, elves, and mutants but can't have minorities because it's not realistic lol fuck outta here

Tovarisc

Got dwarves, elves, and mutants but can't have minorities because it's not realistic lol fuck outta here

Realism wasn't his argument and you know that. HoS explains why people of color aren't really heading all the way into the North where TW3 takes place and within that fantasy world it makes sense. God forbid fantasy worlds have logic and rules to them. Does people also bash LOTR, D&D campaigns etc for not having every skin color represented or just accept that those worlds have their own "rules" and structures?

Aselith

Realism wasn't his argument and you know that. HoS explains why people of color aren't really heading all the way into the North where TW3 takes place and within that fantasy world it makes sense. God forbid fantasy worlds have logic and rules to them. Does people also bash LOTR, D&D campaigns etc for not having every skin color represented or just accept that those worlds have their own "rules" and structures?

Lord of the Rings is racist af. You know that right?

I know they have fictional creatures and shit in there. That's that tired ass shit I always hear and I wonder if people really actual think about that shit when they say it. People of color are less realistic than the supernatural creatures in there. That Polish thing or Japanese thing people brought don't amount to shit especially when they're marketing their shit on a global front.
The supernatural creatures are more or less environmental hazards. People of color aren't in the region because of the massive war and upheaval happening. If they were there, they'd be getting burned alive and tortured like the elves and dwarves, so being foreigners, they choose to stay away. It may not be the most satisfying or novel reason, but I'm not sure how anyone could attempt mental gymnastics to connect the two.

And game inspired and made by people from a group that's historically oppressed is a "Polish thing?" Christ, the Poles can't get a break.

Tovarisc

Lord of the Rings is racist af. You know that right?

So? You can be racist towards people without needing them to have different skin tone. Been ages since I have read LOTR books, but if I remember right it's basically all white world with different sizes and races of white. Witcher games and books also deal with things like racism, many just seem to ignore it because it isn't white on black etc. racism.

Aselith

So? You can be racist towards people without needing them to have different skin tone. Been ages since I have read LOTR books, but if I remember right it's basically all white world with different sizes and races of white. Witcher games and books also deal with things like racism, many just seem to ignore it because it isn't white on black etc. racism.

No, it's all white except the men that served Sauron are all dark skinned. So he thought to include them but as the corrupt races. It's a very bad choice as an example.

I'll say by the end of 2018. With that many people working on it, bearing in mind they started production before Witcher 3 came out, and were in full production during the development of the Witcher 3 DLC packs, that gives them a full 2.5 year dev cycle, not including all the time spent working on the game prior to May 2015, pre-production, some full production, etc. So if you combine it all together, end of 2018 would put the game at a minimum 3.5 year dev cycle, and bear in mind more people working on it than Witcher 3, a quicker turnaround is clearly a priority. And they won't announce a date and then disappoint people by delaying like they did with Witcher 3. They'll wait until they know for sure.

Wasn't the game revealed in early 2013, meaning at the very least it's been in development since 2012, possibly even earlier?

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Idk maybe the fact that controlling Geralt inside a building felt like steering an ocean liner (they finally patched the game to not have auto-center camera which helped a lot) doesn't really fill me with confidence they can do a TPS.

I guess we'll see though.

Bigrx1

Banned
im super confused by people hating on the witcher 3, winner of over 800 awards

Pretty much 3 people:

1. Gameplay first people, who have always hated it.

2. The people who want to look cool. It's always the thing to do to look cool by bashing something else that is highly acclaimed from the recent past. Makes you look even superior to that (in your head anyway).

3. People salty their game didn't win as many GOTYs as Witcher 3 - Fallout 4 fans, MGSV fans, Bloodborne fans (which is a high GAF concentration)

DemWalls

And I even put some effort into it...

They added alternative controls, not "fixed" the original ones.

On a different note, people should remember, that CD Projekt Red is going to release TWO AAA titles in the next 5 years. 2019-2021 release of Cyberpunk 2077 is highly unlikely. I'm betting on 2018.

True, but I still remember when, at the end of 2011 if I'm not mistaken, they announced 2 "AAA+" games for 2014-2015, and we all know how it ended. I know CDP is a completely different company nowadays (at least in terms of size), but honestly I wouldn't be surprised if Cyberpunk is delayed a few months into 2019 and the other project ends up releasing later than 2021.

boskee

Another small update from the CEO:

- 300 people working on Cyberpunk already, development started "a long time ago"
- he stressed that there's still "a lot of work left, a lot", because "it's an extremely ambitious project"
- CDPR knows the release date, but they won't reveal it at this point

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A28aDDckjw0

Zolo

- 300 people working on Cyberpunk already, development started "a long time ago"
- he stressed that there's still "a lot of work left, a lot", because "it's an extremely ambitious project"

They don't know the release date if they still have a lot of work left.....which is why you wouldn't mention it.

Some Nobody

I know they have fictional creatures and shit in there. That's that tired ass shit I always hear and I wonder if people really actual think about that shit when they say it. People of color are less realistic than the supernatural creatures in there.

Accurate. Fantasy worlds can, and should, have people of all races in them.

That Polish thing or Japanese thing people brought don't amount to shit especially when they're marketing their shit on a global front.

Garbage. I don't expect people from homogeneous countries to do this. When Americans make a fantasy world with no black or asian people, it's absurd--you're literally pretending people you see every day don't exist. But if 99% of your country is one race, then now I'm asking you to write about something you literally AREN'T seeing. Doesn't matter who they sell their games to.

They don't know the release date if they still have a lot of work left.....which is why you wouldn't mention it.

Accurate. They have a "targeted" release date in mind, but go ask GG how targets work out.

This is my most anticipated WRPG of all time. Well this and Kingdom Come Deliverance.

I really hope they deliver. I loved TW2 but havent played 3 yet. I expect great things from 2077.

So happy for a cyberpunk world from them. I feel Deus Ex HR and MD have let me down tbh. I think they are good, but not incredible.

Parapraxis

This is my most anticipated WRPG of all time. Well this and Kingdom Come Deliverance.

I really hope they deliver. I loved TW2 but havent played 3 yet. I expect great things from 2077.

So happy for a cyberpunk world from them. I feel Deus Ex HR and MD have let me down tbh. I think they are good, but not incredible.

My god, what are you waiting for!!!???

I'd rather they stick to third person. Do they have experience with FPS games? New stuff like that is what has the potential to be janky and not as good. IMO at least.
Blizzard's first (released) FPS was Overwatch.

Also, it's not like after three games, The Witcher series shows complete mastery over the third-person genre or something. The combat's the most flawed aspect of the games, with movement in The Witcher III being sluggish until it was somewhat improved with an alternative control system in the options, and even then, attempting to control a horse is a horrible experience.

First-person is arguably easier to get right than third-person.

My guess is late 2018. I can wait. The Witcher 3 is one of the greatest games of all time, so I want them to take all the time they need with this one. It's my most anticipated game in existence though!

LogicStep

Blizzard's first (released) FPS was Overwatch.

Also, it's not like after three games, The Witcher series shows complete mastery over the third-person genre or something. The combat's the most flawed aspect of the games, with movement in The Witcher III being sluggish until it was somewhat improved with an alternative control system in the options, and even then, attempting to control a horse is a horrible experience.

First-person is arguably easier to get right than third-person.
True, point taken. Still, I just hope they put in all the time and work that's needed.

Stiler

I hope the soundtrack has some good licensed songs too, a lot of classic 80's songs, from the EBM scene to the gothic rock era.

Things like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCg4i1f_oDY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8n6k8QcU3k
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gg9buWTwCcI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bctJH0G-4Z4

Bauhaus, Sisters of Mercy, etc. I'd love to see that in the game.

Then there's the EMB era of the 80's, Front 242 mainly,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4oFcaVY8iQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1cRGVaJF7Y

Also as a fan of the Heavy Metal movies (both of them) I think their soundtracks are right up the alley of Cyberpunk.

Some notable examples I remember:

MDFMK - Missing Time:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Au5RCy7aJI&list=PL529998D1BA782201&index=3

Monster Magnet - Silver Future:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vei1uOPhOak&list=PL529998D1BA782201&index=2

Blue Oyster Cult - Veteran of the Psychic Wars:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGi-sOTS5zA&index=4&list=PL37390DB39985A5A3

GrizzNKev

Banned
I have some information regarding this game from someone I met who is working on the soundtrack. He showed me the email from cd project and everything. He's a well known musician and a regular where I work.
How do I go about.... releasing some of this info?

You'd be better off not sharing it if you don't want to endanger that guy's job.

Top Bottom