• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cyberpunk 2077 E3 impressions

vpance

How much has Witcher 3 sold? Can't imagine how many millions they're going to sell of 2077 with all the GOTY editions and stuff over the next few years.

lukilladog

I predict CP77 to sell 50 mil :messenger_open_mouth:

pc, ps4, xb1, ps5, xb4

Any reasoning behind this prediction?. Because I don´t see it, sci-fi rpg´s are not that popular compared to fantasy/medieval rgp´s, it´s not an establshed franchise as the Witcher, some people are gonna hold up waiting for the next gen version, outside of shooters 1st person games aren´t big sellers, CDPR doesn´t have massive marketing budgets, CDPR isn´t Rockstar famous, etc, etc. I think it will take them a year to break 10 million.

The hottest of takes:

Yes! The more exposure of any kind = more sales! Even if it's coming from pansies

giphy.gif

Last edited:
Any reasoning behind this prediction?. Because I don´t see it, sci-fi rpg´s are not that popular compared to fantasy/medieval rgp´s, it´s not an establshed franchise as the Witcher, some people are gonna hold up waiting for the next gen version, outside of shooters 1st person games aren´t big sellers, CDPR doesn´t have massive marketing budgets, CDPR isn´t Rockstar famous, etc, etc. I think it will take them a year to break 10 million.
There are like hundreds of quality fantasy/medieval rpg's on the market - I'm sick of it. Witcher series never had such a big following before TW3 and what do you know most of those hardcore medieval fantasy lovers hated/were complaining about open world setting before TW3 launch but low and behold it sold multiple times more copies than TW1 and 2 combined.

How many quality sci-fi/fantasy games are out there ..3 maybe 5 in total? compared to 100s of decent medieval/fantasy games. Gamers been waiting and are so THIRSTY for some great sci-fi mega hit. The hype for CP77 is there you can almost feel it in the morning fog, you can definitely smell it in the middle of the day in the heat in Delhi, oh wait that might not be the hype that sm..

Kadayi

Banned
I feel like the threads drifting off somewhat, but I did see this youtube with a fairly eloquent rebuttal of both the RPS article & the Transgender exploitation angle: -

Apparently, RPS have closed the comments on their clickbait article, though a fair few people got digs in about how lacking in diversity the RPS writing staff is beforehand (you can have an RPS writer of any colour you like as long as they're white). :messenger_grinning_squinting: I dare say they'll purge the wrong-thinking posts soon enough though.

Last edited:
Interview with the Lead Quest Designer talking about the struggles with keeping Keanu's involvement under wraps and the manifold nature of the quests and the challenges of branching storylines in an open world with branching game-play as well: -

The thing that excites me the most about this is how clearly excited the interviewee was about the game he’s working on. That can only be a good sign in my mind.

Kadayi

Banned
Easy Allies has a neat interview with the UI designer who walks about the game design and goes into some details

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
cyberpunk will definitely sell better than Witcher 3.

1. the overall quality will be better. this is their 4th major video game (not counting witcher adventure or gwent). each witcher game was a huge improvement upon the last. cyberpunk will be on a whole other level compared to Witcher 3.

2. it has a wider appeal. i've seen a lot of people not wanting to play witcher because it's not got guns, cars, you ride horses, it's set in a medieval like setting, has magic, witches, and monsters. cyberpunk is the opposite pretty much. guns, cars, set in the future, no magic. a futuristic dystopian setting is gonna really help.

3. will be a much deeper RPG than witcher. it's of course based on a pen & paper rpg whereas witcher is just based on a series of books. cyberpunk has way more freedom. yes there will be characters that will have been in the p&p rpg but it's an RPG. you can be anyone you want. in witcher you had to be geralt.

4. it will have an 80's feel to it. sure it's set in 2077 but cyberpunk as a genre is heavily influenced by the 80's.

5. it'll be releasing in 2020 which is looking to be the last year for the current gen of consoles. more people will own a ps4 or xbox one in 2020 compared to 2015 which is closer to the start than the end of this generation. also it's likely it'll be updated for next gen.

6. keanu. not many video games have major celebrities. off the top of my head the only other upcoming game that has celebrities would be Death Stranding. Keanu is in a whole other league compared to the likes of Mads Mikkelsen, Norman Reedus, Guillermo Del Toro, and Léa Seydoux.

Meanwhile, Mike Pondsmith, an actual black person and creator of Cyberpunk, has seen the demo beforehand and approved of it.
he's obviously oppressing himself!

Last edited:
Top Bottom