• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cyberpunk 2077 E3 impressions

MadYarpen

First articles I have seen:

No jaws dropped on the floor it seems this time, but I guess it was expected. I think it looks reads very good.

Replayability should be great, and RPG system looks quite deep actually, considering some stats can influence your dialogue options (thats from an interview with Milest Tost).

Cant wait, we should see the gameplay in August and then thats only 7 months

E: if you find something I'll update the OP.

Easy Allies' is the best, most detailed and most enthusiastic so far:

Secret message from the collector's edition trailer, re: when and why so late will we see the gameplay:

Secret Message from the CD Projekt Red

Finally, after months of preparation, we can share with you two big things we have been hard at work on — CP2077's cinematic story trailer and a brand new gameplay demo! Yes, yes, we know — for now, the demo is only available to the lucky ones who managed to get tickets to E3 and the rest of you will have to wait until gamescom or the public dev Q&A unveiling stream at PAX in August. Yeah, we can already feel the bashing you're gonna give us online :(. "Why are you not treating us fair", "why is the gameplay not being released right away?". The reason is we want to make the most out of the months of work we put into the demo and first showcase gameplay live at E3 and gamescom. Releasing gameplay right away would make the gamescom presentations pointless and would significantly limit our chance to build hype. Why do we need to build hype? To get more gamers interested in CP2077 and, hopefully, convince them to give it a go. We are putting our hearts and souls into making CP2077 a great game and we would like as many gamers as possible to find out about it and experience its amazing story. Also, hype can turn into sales (after all, we are not a charity), and good sales allow us to grow, take creative risks and deliver new, great games for you to enjoy.
And let’s not forget about one more super important announcement — the release date. Less than a year from now, on April 16th, 2020, you’ll finally be able to sink your teeth into Cyberpunk 2077.
As you probably noticed, we prepared 2 editions of the game. Why only two? Because when we pre-order ourselves, we don’t like to go to Wikipedia to compare content. We have a simple deal: there’s the standard edition, the one we think most gamers will choose, and a limited Collector’s Edition. While we're pretty proud of the CE, we'd like to turn your attention to that first one. Why? Because we have really maxed out the physical capacity of the box with goodies. We think this raises the bar for "standard" and we hope you'll think so, too. Also, since pre-orders are live, you might be wondering if there’s any point in placing an order now. Yes, if you want to give us some extra support. Pre-orders help us build anticipation — the more copies you pre-order, the more likely it is for us to get retail (both digital and physical) behind the game. Therefore, if you like what you see, we will appreciate you "voting yes" for CP2077 with a pre-order. If you are still hesitating though, we would rather you wait for more materials or reviews. Our goal is for you to truly enjoy CP2077 and not regret a pre-order.
Take care and looking forward to seeing you in Night City! CD PROJEKT RED team

Interview by the Doritos Pope with one of the Projekt leads: -

Keanu apparently recorded dialogue at CDP for 15 days and is the character with the most dialogue in the after (presumably) the Protagonist.

Also prepping early for the inevitable backlash (and taking full advantage of Valve's News Feed feature for those who pre-ordered 🤔 ) Rockpapershotgun is coming in less than impressed with the demo's gunplay as well as what they see as 'Problematic' aspects regarding racial representation when it comes to the shown street gangs in the game. : -

Maybe Matt Cox from middle-class England should try and get a 1-2-1 with Mike Pondsmith so he can tell him where his vision of a dystopian future has gone wrong :pie_eyeroll:

Interview with the Lead Quest Designer talking about the struggles with keeping Keanu's involvement under wraps and the manifold nature of the quests and the challenges of branching storylines in an open world with branching game-play as well: -

Game Informer had a bit on some of their initial impressions from having seen the CP2077 Demo at the beginning of their daily E3 podcast

I dare say once they've all had an opportunity to see it, there will likely be a more rounded discussion
Laymen Gaming gives their E3 Demo impressions: -
Short little interview on IGN where Keanu talks about getting involved in the project here: -

What is notable I think is that he basically only came on board about a year ago, which is interesting in the sense that the idea of Johnny Silverhand being in the game was a fairly recent development in terms of the overall project evolution.

Last edited:

Kadayi

Banned
Interview by the Doritos Pope with one of the Project leads: -

Keanu apparently recorded dialogue at CDP for 15 days and is the character with the most dialogue in the game after (presumably) the Protagonist.

Also prepping early for the inevitable backlash (and taking full advantage of Valve's News Feed feature for those who pre-ordered 🤔 ) Rockpapershotgun is coming in less than impressed with the demo's gunplay as well as what they see as 'Problematic' aspects regarding racial representation when it comes to the shown street gangs in the game. : -

Maybe Matt Cox from middle-class England should try and get a 1-2-1 with Mike Pondsmith so he can tell him where his vision of a dystopian future has gone wrong :pie_eyeroll:

Last edited:

Kadayi

Banned
Interview with the Lead Quest Designer talking about the struggles with keeping Keanu's involvement under wraps and the manifold nature of the quests and the challenges of branching storylines in an open world with branching game-play as well: -

Ramzy

I recall some weeks ago there was a rumour floating around about a 1hr gameplay demo, similar to the previous 48 minute demo we got. Is this not happening? I don't want to hear "gaming journalist" opinions on the game, I just want to see it.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
I recall some weeks ago there was a rumour floating around about a 1hr gameplay demo, similar to the previous 48 minute demo we got. Is this not happening? I don't want to hear "gaming journalist" opinions on the game, I just want to see it.

Behind closed doors only, for now.

Kadayi

Banned

They've already said they'll be releasing the demo footage at Gamescom (as stated earlier in the thread), as they want to use the time in between now and then to release a new build before showing it to the public proper.

Last edited:

Kadayi

Banned
Game Informer had a bit on some of their initial impressions from having seen the CP2077 Demo at the beginning of their daily E3 podcast

I dare say once they've all had an opportunity to see it, there will likely be a more rounded discussion

Boss Mog

Sony just won E3 for having a great interviewer. It's pretty refreshing to see a woman in games media that isn't pink haired or full of tattoos and piercings. She was pleasant and dressed professionally, but most importantly of all, she asked good questions.

Last edited:

Ivory Blood

This is very good news actually. about no jaws dropping. As some journalist said, paraphrasing here - 'In the previous year I was floored and unsure how we could possibly be able to play a game of that magnitude for real, but after what I saw today, I can actually see myself playing it'

Ivory Blood

Some new screens from CDPR. This looks absolutely breathtaking.

00Our3jAXDM.jpg

b0u4LohZrMs.jpg

YyPBrnYG1IY.jpg

Kadayi

Banned
Last edited:

Kadayi

Banned
Short little interview on IGN where Keanu talks about getting involved in the project here: -

What is notable I think is that he basically only came on board about a year ago, which is interesting in the sense that the idea of Johnny Silverhand being in the game was a fairly recent development in terms of the overall project evolution.

Last edited:

Ivory Blood

Some developers from CP2077 answer questions about the game in general on Cyberpunk Tumblr of all things. Why they felt they need to have a Tumblr I don't know, but oh well.

Their answers actually go pretty in depth with stuff like customisation, role-playing, guns, and lots of other things.

T_LVPL

Know it won’t get much love on here but i’ll be passing. Looks, sounds and plays like Mass Effect, and Fallout. and i hate those games. The storyline in these sorts of things are impossible to follow just endless technological talk and thousands of characters talking about random stuff in a gruff accent. I’m definitely still a JRPG guy, even after the masses have long moved onto WRPGs.

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
The city and the exploration seem really vibrant. I want to see more about how your powers can be used to interact with the environment and with NPCs. The interactivity of the world is what will make or break this game for me. I don't want a static city that merely houses a bunch of quests and dialogue trees. I want a cyberpunk playground.

Witcher 3 leaned too heavily on NPC interactions to make the world seem packed with content. Yes, there's a ton of quests and dialogue, but if you want to play around in the world just for the sake of playing around with the world, there aren't a ton of underlying mechanics with which you can fiddle. The best open-world games this gen (for me) were MGS5 and Breath of the Wild. They both offer playgrounds and a solid toolkit of toys, whereas Witcher gave me a quest-journal as thick as a dictionary.

somerset

Listening to peeps who saw the new gameplay footage, it seems the world is fine, but the gameplay stinks. Which sadly continues to confirm impressions given by how CDPR chooses to handle the PR.

How do games like GTA and Watchdogs function? The answer is that their worlds are simply devices for *cartoon* arcade action- because with an action game the action elements *must* be *king*. CDPR doesn't even have the game design experience to know this.

So Cyberpunk seems ass-backwards. A *real* world built for reality, not action fun. Which in an *adventure* game would be just great, but an *adventure* game ain't gonna earn the wonga that would keep CDPR in business.

I loved Witcher 3, but is showed a mass of conceptual design limitations that were only overcome by a constant narrative and cut-scenes that kept that narrative flowing.

Cyberpunk is not Witcher 3, and that's its prob. Instead Cyberpunk is an RPG where heavy action is to the forefront in a desperate attempt to win the key gaming audience. But twice skilled game journos have noted the action just isn't good.

Gamers mostly have no idea what a "game loop" is, and how hard it is to ensure the game loop is fun. Cyberpunk was always way out of CDPR's comfort zone, as proven by how long they worked on the game before making any real progess at all.

They wanted to do something 'amazing'- the graveyard word for so many ambitious devs. They should have hard copied the template of Witcher 3 instead, with a single protaganist following a single story experience (with some of the faux branching).

I gotta say I think Watchdogs 3 is really gonna wrongfoot CDPR, as Ubisoft schools the upstart at real innovation in an open world game. CDPR has taken a king's ransom from the Polish government in the name of open world breakthroughs, but has shown nothing in this direction.

We are too close to when Cyberpunk will release vs its dev period to imagine any startling changes now. E3 wouldn't have been so heavy on the CGI cut-scenes if CDPR had anything better to show.

It would be the best thing in the world if CDPR proved me wrong. But having been tracking games from announcement to release from the *very* beginning of this biz, I've witnessed so many other disappointments that had all the same red flags.

The only difference today is that things like really good cut-scenes, or perhaps really good gun play (see Rage 2) can compensate to some small degree for a host of other let-downs, and allow a flawed game to offer some value.

Yeah, I like them as well. They are focusing on the right stuff.

For sure, they are my favourite group / company for reviews, previews and gaming news (been a fan since the good old GameTrailers days) because they genuinely still love playing games, not just getting clicks and views for stupid controversy.

I was already sold on Cyberpunk anyway but they have me even more hyped now.

Kadayi

Banned
Listening to peeps who saw the new gameplay footage, it seems the world is fine, but the gameplay stinks.

You've got some sources on this? Or should we assume shit when wrong for CDP once the accused Fabians got involved? 🤔 Because nothing I've seen or read so far supports your assertions regarding the game. All the impressions beyond the 'Problematic' contingent of usual suspects have been nothing but high praise for both the world building and the intricacies of the game's systems. This is an RPG first and foremost, not an out and out twitch shooter after all.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Listening to peeps who saw the new gameplay footage, it seems the world is fine, but the gameplay stinks. Which sadly continues to confirm impressions given by how CDPR chooses to handle the PR.

How do games like GTA and Watchdogs function? The answer is that their worlds are simply devices for *cartoon* arcade action- because with an action game the action elements *must* be *king*. CDPR doesn't even have the game design experience to know this.

So Cyberpunk seems ass-backwards. A *real* world built for reality, not action fun. Which in an *adventure* game would be just great, but an *adventure* game ain't gonna earn the wonga that would keep CDPR in business.

I loved Witcher 3, but is showed a mass of conceptual design limitations that were only overcome by a constant narrative and cut-scenes that kept that narrative flowing.

Cyberpunk is not Witcher 3, and that's its prob. Instead Cyberpunk is an RPG where heavy action is to the forefront in a desperate attempt to win the key gaming audience. But twice skilled game journos have noted the action just isn't good.

Gamers mostly have no idea what a "game loop" is, and how hard it is to ensure the game loop is fun. Cyberpunk was always way out of CDPR's comfort zone, as proven by how long they worked on the game before making any real progess at all.

They wanted to do something 'amazing'- the graveyard word for so many ambitious devs. They should have hard copied the template of Witcher 3 instead, with a single protaganist following a single story experience (with some of the faux branching).

I gotta say I think Watchdogs 3 is really gonna wrongfoot CDPR, as Ubisoft schools the upstart at real innovation in an open world game. CDPR has taken a king's ransom from the Polish government in the name of open world breakthroughs, but has shown nothing in this direction.

We are too close to when Cyberpunk will release vs its dev period to imagine any startling changes now. E3 wouldn't have been so heavy on the CGI cut-scenes if CDPR had anything better to show.

It would be the best thing in the world if CDPR proved me wrong. But having been tracking games from announcement to release from the *very* beginning of this biz, I've witnessed so many other disappointments that had all the same red flags.

The only difference today is that things like really good cut-scenes, or perhaps really good gun play (see Rage 2) can compensate to some small degree for a host of other let-downs, and allow a flawed game to offer some value.
Hey look at this, the troll is back with his anti CDR agenda again. So glad they are doing the opposite of everything you say here. I’m very curious to learn your agenda.

It’s very curious how you are constantly ignoring the positive feedback coming in from multiple sources also.

Last edited:

scalman

Wonder is that demo has only one path for now because if not they could show one choices now and other choises on gamescom so it would still be hype.
If ifs not just action game wow thats best news for me where yoy need to make choices not just follow orders.
Day one anyway for me. And what people say about it its just what people say it doesnt matter much, if game wants be rasist let it be rasist .

Last edited:

Ivory Blood

Some good info here. The game is getting almost universally positive press reactions.

What the heck? The game is still a long way off and they are already revving up the outrage machine?

Game journalism these days is fueled purely by witch-hunting and hate mongering. It's sad really. After all the complaining about Witcher's white cast, CDPR are employing a vast array of ethnically diverse characters. Some of them even speak real Creole, ffs! But now that's still not good enough, because some of these minority characters aren't all goody two-shoes in a dystopian cyberpunk setting where most everybody is a shady f*ck!

At first they were outraged about a lack of diversity, now they are outraged about the wrong kind of diversity. There's simply no pleasing these people and no matter what you do, they will find a way to create outrage for attention clicks. The Witcher 3 was one of the best written video games ever and I'm pretty sure Cyberpunk 2077 will also be up there. This is getting beyond silly.

These supposed games journalists don't want well written games, they don't want an engaging story, they want safe, bland and non-offensive content as deep as a puddle. How frikkin' dumb do you have to be to expect a dystopian cyberpunk game to be that kind of safe entertainment?

Skyr

I know not everyone likes YoungYea, but just listening to Mike speak is a treat in itself. Plus some interesting lore tidbits and insight into making Cyberpunk 2077 possible.

Very cool.

Would be pretty awesome if Mike would stream his playthrough on twitch.
I mean how cool would it be to watch the creator of the universe play through it?

Kadayi

Banned
What the heck? The game is still a long way off and they are already revving up the outrage machine

I know it's a complete joke. I pre-ordered the game on Steam and in the games news feed that shitty article and one from PCGamer about the 'problematic Trans character' are right at the top. Valve needs to reassess whether there's any point having these sites syndicated on their platform if all they're going to do is just write shitty ill-considered clickbait to garner attention.

Ivory Blood

I know it's a complete joke. I pre-ordered the game on Steam and in the games news feed that shitty article and one from PCGamer about the 'problematic Trans character' are right at the top. Valve needs to reassess whether there's any point having these sites syndicated on their platform if all they're going to do is just write shitty ill-considered clickbait to garner attention.
I already pre-ordered on Steam too. But really, don't worry about the flies buzzing. Despite those articles being front and center, majority of customers don't give a single care about that idiocy - Cyberpunk is a top seller for 4 days straight already, and will continue to be so for the foreseeable future.

Kadayi

Banned
I already pre-ordered on Steam too. But really, don't worry about the flies buzzing. Despite those articles being front and center, majority of customers don't give a single care about that idiocy - Cyberpunk is a top seller for 4 days straight already, and will continue to be so for the foreseeable future.

True, I don't think 99.99% of gamers give a shit about this stuff, but the problem is these agenda fuelled fucknuggets have free access to spread their inept opinions about any game going to a global audience, without any checks and balances in place. They might not have any impact on CP2077, but not all developers necessarily have such certainty. It's more the overview which is the point of concern.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
What the heck? The game is still a long way off and they are already revving up the outrage machine?

Game journalism these days is fueled purely by witch-hunting and hate mongering. It's sad really. After all the complaining about Witcher's white cast, CDPR are employing a vast array of ethnically diverse characters. Some of them even speak real Creole, ffs! But now that's still not good enough, because some of these minority characters aren't all goody two-shoes in a dystopian cyberpunk setting where most everybody is a shady f*ck!

At first they were outraged about a lack of diversity, now they are outraged about the wrong kind of diversity. There's simply no pleasing these people and no matter what you do, they will find a way to create outrage for attention clicks. The Witcher 3 was one of the best written video games ever and I'm pretty sure Cyberpunk 2077 will also be up there. This is getting beyond silly.

These supposed games journalists don't want well written games, they don't want an engaging story, they want safe, bland and non-offensive content as deep as a puddle. How frikkin' dumb do you have to be to expect a dystopian cyberpunk game to be that kind of safe entertainment?
They don't want those ideas going mainstream unless they have a stranglehold over how the themes are interpreted. Since CDPR is "problematic", they must poison the well against them.

Good luck getting gamers to turn down the biggest cyberpunk-genre game in years, though.

I could be mistaken, but I think the outrage on this one is greatly overstepping its bound in terms of what the general audience will accept. I sense a GamerGate 2.0 on the horizon.

Ivory Blood

They don't want those ideas going mainstream unless they have a stranglehold over how the themes are interpreted. Since CDPR is "problematic", they must poison the well against them.

Good luck getting gamers to turn down the biggest cyberpunk-genre game in years, though.

I could be mistaken, but I think the outrage on this one is greatly overstepping its bound in terms of what the general audience will accept. I sense a GamerGate 2.0 on the horizon.
I agree with you. This game might be the thing that will finally throw it all down. It's the biggest divisive gaming topic in years, and the reactions of general public are all in its favour.

The insane sjw are already tearing themselves apart, trying to rationalize something they invented in their own heads - and even then like half of them are calling the others crazy. It's almost funny.

The problem is that through this syndication system, these articles stick to the game like flies to cow dung. Sure, Cyberpunk 2077 is too big of a franchise to be really harmed by this fake outrage, but smaller developers certainly aren't. It creates a chilling effect for other developers who want nothing to do with this bullcrap and are afraid the mob might turn on them. It's not a fertile ground for creative freedom and merely stifles developers in their creative process.

Most gamers won't be affected by this, but still I don't want to see games stigmatized like that. When I'm browsing the steam catalog, I want to be informed about the game itself, not if it commits wrongthink and is unfit for consumption for my fragile mind. I'm really sick and tired of these soy latte macchiato sipping San Francisco social justice hipster zealots dictating what I'm allowed to play.

Let's hope the social justice crusaders keep upping up the ante so that regular Joe consumers finally see how frikkin' deranged these people are. I'd be much less hostile towards these articles if gaming outlets would provide some sort of a balanced counter-view. I find it hard to believe that the whole PC GAMER staff would stand behind that opinionated article. If I'm wrong about my assumption, then things are much worse than I expected because it would be indicative of them actively cultivating homogeneous group-think.

Cosmogony

I agree with you. This game might be the thing that will finally throw it all down. It's the biggest divisive gaming topic in years, and the reactions of general public are all in its favour.

The insane sjw are already tearing themselves apart, trying to rationalize something they invented in their own heads - and even then like half of them are calling the others crazy. It's almost funny.

The success of the game.

If Cyberpunk outsells TW3 by a factor of two or even three, if it reaches landmark sales figures, the message will have been crystal clear. The core audience doesn't give a rat's ass about the irrational screeching, about the Moscow-trial kind of performance art. That in and of itself will be the sobering uppercut delivered against Resetera's histrionics.

Ivory Blood

The success of the game.

If Cyberpunk outsells TW3 by a factor of two or even three, if it reaches landmark sales figures, the message will have been crystal clear. The core audience doesn't give a rat's ass about the irrational screeching, about the Moscow-trial kind of performance art. That in and of itself will be the sobering uppercut delivered against Resetera's histrionics.
Marcin Iwiński said that pre-orders for Cyberpunk are already ahead of the Witcher 3 by a mile. This game is gonna sell big,

All I see lately on the internet is talk about Cyberpunk and Keanu. Hell, I even read about CP2077 in a newspaper of all things.

Top Bottom