• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cyberpunk 2077 is a complete long term disaster, knocks down value of CD Projekt RED by a whopping 75%. No longer Poland's biggest game studio

Fbh

I have like 300 hours on PC and love the game but well deserved for what they did to console players. Game should never release on PS4/Xbox One.

Yeah, people always talk about releasing the game before it was ready but IMO the biggest issue with this whole project was their insistence on releasing a Ps4/Xb1 version that was probably never going to "be ready".
Just imagine all the time, money, manpower and probably cut features they had to waste trying to get this thing to run decently on last gen consoles....and in the end it was still a shit show.

The higher ups should have realized at some point in 2019 that the last gen version just wasn't working, then scrapped it and spent the next year polishing a Ps5/SSX/PC only release.
It would have still been buggy and it would have still been disappointing but the overall reaction would have probably been WAY milder than what they got. After all even with all its issues the majority of people I've hard about that played it on PC or on the patched next gen console version still enjoyed it.

I get that giving up on the massive Ps4/X1 install base would have been hard. But seeing at how things ended up going for them was it really worth it?

Last edited:

RespawnX

CD Projekt was completely overrated at stock market. GOG also didn‘t have a gut outcome. They are were they belong, considering their revenues and perspectives still valued pretty high.

Hari Seldon

Yeah it is a combo of them being way overvalued at peak and now undervalued as they still own the Witcher rights and that is a huge IP now with the Netflix series. Witcher 1 could also really use a remake.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
The higher ups should have realized at some point in 2019 that the last gen version just wasn't working, then scrapped it and spent the next year polishing a Ps5/SSX/PC only release.
It would have still been buggy and it would have still been disappointing but the overall reaction would have probably been WAY milder than what they got. After all even with all its issues the majority of people I've hard about that played it on PC or on the patched next gen console version still enjoyed it.

I get that giving up on the massive Ps4/X1 install base would have been hard. But seeing at how things ended up going for them was it really worth it?

Really? You really think the millions of people who were on last generation hardware would have said "Well, it sucks that I won't be able to play the game, but I totally understand and appreciate them not giving me a product that is inferior to the version on PC or current generation consoles."

CD Projekt was completely overrated at stock market. GOG also didn‘t have a gut outcome. They are were they belong, considering their revenues and perspectives still valued pretty high.

Exactly. Their value is back where it was before the ridiculous hype train of CP77 really kicked into gear (I think they are slightly above which makes sense). CP77 is still an excellent property and if they play their cards right is ripe ground for future development just on the current game itself (i.e. a GaaS type expansion that allows for a bespoke experience for players a la GTAO).

Aenima

Deserved. The game was rushed to meet a deadline, and thats what you deserve when you launch a game is such a poor state, and hide it fom the consumers untill launch day (Console versions). I love that Sony even delisted the game untill it got some patches.
CDPR will bounce back if they nail the launch of the next Witcher game. But my trust in the studio is gone. I will wait to see how well the game will be running, before deciding if they get my money or not.

CDPR went from one of my trusted studios, to no trust at all, just because of a "suit" dumb decision and some scummy media manipulation by only giving reviwers the PC version.

Last edited:

Fbh

Really? You really think the millions of people who were on last generation hardware would have said "Well, it sucks that I won't be able to play the game, but I totally understand and appreciate them not giving me a product that is inferior to the version on PC or current generation consoles."

There would have been backlash and complains......but to the point it ruined the reputation of their studio and knocked down the value of their company by 75%? No I don't think the backlash would have been that big, specially if they announced the move to next gen only like a year in advance.

And if anything I think it would have given the game longer legs and turned into one of those "must get" games for people picking up a next gen console, which would have been nice in a rather slow 2021 that lacked more "next gen" games. Instead they got retailers like Best Buy dumping their stock at $4.99 because no one wanted to buy it.

Doczu

It might be a good moment to buy some shares before they release.the next gen patch and announce W4. That might make them bounce back

People say it's hubris, but in a business you gotta make money. A project of this scale bleeds money every year it's not out (giving the number of highly skilled annual salaries on it), and it was in development for a long time, plus investor pressure.
But they miscalculated. The amount of money and reputation they lost in the long run probably exceeds the the amount it would have cost them if they let it bake for another two years. They caved to the pressure, internal or external.
15 mil is nothing to scoff at, but this will never have the legs Witcher 3 did, when it easily could have if it was a finished game that garnered continual hype and word of mouth for years on.

They screwed their company up because of greed …

america GIF

Guilty_AI

15 mil is nothing to scoff at, but this will never have the legs Witcher 3 did
It already has legs tho. It surpassed 18 million sales as of april this year, whenever it gets a discount on steam or gog it starts topping charts.

Regardless of tumultuous launch or CDPR reputation, this is a one-of-a-kind game that looks cool, people will naturally be curious about it.

Last edited:
They just have to re-release Witcher 3 for next gen (like Rockstar does), and touch-up Witcher 2 while they're at it.

Witcher 1 is harder to do, basically remake from the ground up, that one.

It already has legs tho. It surpassed 18 million sales as of april this year, whenever it gets a discount on steam or gog it starts topping charts.

Regardless of tumultuous launch or CDPR reputation, this is a one-of-a-kind game that looks cool, people will naturally be curious about it.
Compared to what I'm guessing is way more sales, way faster, at less of a discount, had it been what it was suppose to.

Guilty_AI

Compared to what I'm guessing is way more sales, way faster, at less of a discount, had it been what it was suppose to.
Even The Witcher 3 didn't sell that fast, and a lot of it occured during considerable sales too.
If you're thinking Rockstar numbers then that was never going to happen even if it released to critical acclaim.

Woggleman

Even The Witcher 3 didn't sell that fast, and a lot of it occured during considerable sales too.
If you're thinking Rockstar numbers then that was never going to happen even if it released to critical acclaim.
With the anticipation if this game actually did live up to the hype the sales would have been in Rockstar territory.

Guilty_AI

With the anticipation if this game actually did live up to the hype the sales would have been in Rockstar territory.
The mindshare rockstar have isn't normal, its really hard to find anything you can compare it to.
The level of hype surrounding CP felt more like around Bethesda levels, and it is indeed living up to it. Skyrim sold around 20 mil in two years and CP2077 seems to be in a similar path.

Raonak

Banned
Man I'm still salty over the fact they included the unplayable opening montage as part of the trailer. Misleading as fuck.

SJRB

Gold Member
iu

The stupid greedy motherfuckers in management ruined what potentially was one of the most amazing videogame achievements in history, and forever sullying an otherwise incredible IP.

And for what? Their company name, once held in the utmost highest regard, is tarnished. An IP that had the potential to carry them the next 25 years forever ruined. I feel bad for the devs in the trenches who spent like 10 years crunching on this, only for management to have it released in a half-baked state destroying all those years of hard work.

A catastrophic disaster, and I can only hope those morons learnt their lesson. I mean, how stupid must they be, seriously? What the hell did they expect was gonna happen when they released this game in the state it was in?

It boggles the mind.

Last edited:

Stuart360

You do have to wonder if it was possible to go back in time, would they go back and wipe the game from existence, i think they would. You also have to wonder how the devs feel themselves about the game, and the fact they are still having to work on a game that has destroyed the company to an extent, reputation and financial wise.

Also i watcheda vid yesterday of a 3080ti dropping under 100fps at 1080p Ultra with RT OFF. Fuck this pos game.

Last edited:

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
There would have been backlash and complains......but to the point it ruined the reputation of their studio and knocked down the value of their company by 75%? No I don't think the backlash would have been that big, specially if they announced the move to next gen only like a year in advance.

And if anything I think it would have given the game longer legs and turned into one of those "must get" games for people picking up a next gen console, which would have been nice in a rather slow 2021 that lacked more "next gen" games. Instead they got retailers like Best Buy dumping their stock at $4.99 because no one wanted to buy it.

The only thing I can find related to CP77 and BB is them selling disc copies of the game for 10 dollars. . .eight months after release. They are currently at 30 bucks.

EDIT: I take that back. Apparently the game was 4.99 for a VERY limited amounted of time. . .back in April of this year so well over a year after launch. That's quite a bit of distance between launch. Like I've said in this thread, if there's ANY market analyst willing to say that CP77 was a financial failure for CDPR, I'm just not seeing it. Best Buy unloading dubious stock on hand isn't really a sign of that.

As for the game "ruining the reputation" of CDPR. . .also not seeing it. For people who are being honest with their criticism, this is a case of a developer trying to please the entire market, not that they lack the technical skills to deliver a good product. They, and the board that likely pushed the last generation versions through, deserve all the criticism in the world for both not putting their foot down regarding the last generation versions and for not being honest with consumers before the game was released. Does that mean I'm not going to purchase CP77 dlc or TW4 immediately on release? Of course not. Because I know they can deliver a (fairly) stable (ish) product on hardware that meets the demand.

. . .like I get that people are disappointed in CDPR as a company given their previous relationship with fans, but the mythologizing of this entire saga is something else.

Fools idol

Banned
Not gonna lie I made a lot of money selling it short when I saw how bad the reviews where for CBP2077.

They invested a lot of time and money into it, it went wrong, the stock was going to go down. I actually made 6 figures from a leveraged short.

Stock market has crashed globally, it doesn't mean it's all because of CP2077 even if it's a big factor.
The market has not fallen nearly as much as CDPR stock has. Their stock also states falling while the rest of the market was rising in 2021. Let's not ignore the facts

Crayon

They might have been able to cut the last gen versions part way through. Given what kind of legs the game should have,they could have positioned it as the definitive next gen game and still made the date. Attach rate with new consoles would be good.

iQuasarLV

Ellery Ellery Pelta88 Pelta88

Do you have fancy comparison tools to show the history of CDPR over the last two years versus their index? Nasdaq shows a delayed but similar trend against your arguments. I do not day trade, so I am grasping here. However, the current state of the world economy looks to be taking the same trend as CDPR.

This articles highlighting this one company seem to be stoking individual flames instead of looking at the brushfire.

Pelta88

I iQuasarLV No need for fancy comparisons. It's charted. Their decline started in september 20 when they first showed actual gameplay. They rallied shortly after but the gig was up at that point and people started shorting CDPR driving the stock price down.

Ellery

Ellery Ellery Pelta88 Pelta88

Do you have fancy comparison tools to show the history of CDPR over the last two years versus their index? Nasdaq shows a delayed but similar trend against your arguments. I do not day trade, so I am grasping here. However, the current state of the world economy looks to be taking the same trend as CDPR.

This articles highlighting this one company seem to be stoking individual flames instead of looking at the brushfire.

Can you bring me up to speed again I can't follow right now what my arguments were and what speaks against them.

Other than that I don't disagree that the (Nasdaq e.g. / or MSCI WORLD etc.) might show similar trends in the future. You talk about delayed so that would imply that the Nasdaq does next what CDPROJEKTRED did. And that means crashing -75% from ATH. I have no idea if that happens. But if it indeed does happen then we would have funny correlation but no causation? Hard to tell

I am actually really not sure what we are actually arguing here about. CD Projekt RED had hyped and didn't deliver and the chart kinda reflects like. All the players at the markets that were responsible for that ? We can only speculate

Amiga

Price was super inflated. closer to normal price now for a studio with just 2 AAA games in a decade.

ZehDon

Gold Member
You do have to wonder if it was possible to go back in time, would they go back and wipe the game from existence, i think they would. You also have to wonder how the devs feel themselves about the game, and the fact they are still having to work on a game that has destroyed the company to an extent, reputation and financial wise.

Also i watcheda vid yesterday of a 3080ti dropping under 100fps at 1080p Ultra with RT OFF. Fuck this pos game.
Holy cow - the hyperbole in this thread is insane.

Last edited:
I can't think of a better scarlet letter for companies to wear after rushing something to the market that's clearly not ready and for others to consider when they want to do the same thing. But c'mon, who am I kidding?

EDMIX

I'll never understand how they thought it was a good idea to release this 2 years before it was completed

True, but I don't even know if its really 2 years, the fact that the game still has all those functions missing tells me it had no business even being announced when it did. 2 years later and we are still left with game with 2001 AI. So who knows when this game was really suppose to actually release.

Stuart360

Holy cow - the hyperbole in this thread is insane.
Whats hyperbole?, their reputation is in tatters with a lot of gamers, and as the article says they have lost a big chunk of worth with this game.
As for the 3080ti vid, i'll try and find it.

EDIT.

3:40-5:45 is the 1080p Ultra no RT section.
It actually drops into the 90's in large parts of the city, the 80's even at times.
This is a 4k card we are talking about here, and the 2nd most powerful card you can buy.

Last edited:

Ansphn

One of the biggest blunders in gaming history imo. After the good will and trust they built from the Witcher then the hyped global appeal of the Witcher show, CDP was one of the top gaming companies in the world in good will and trust. Then they went and hyped Cyberpunk to high heavens just to release what they did. Till this day, it made no sense why they did all that.

Last edited:

Doczu

W4 was already announced and was confirmed to utilize UE5. Where have you been?
Bah, meant before they show it. When the real hype train starts rolling (again). Gamers have short memories, W4 will wash the bad memories away, unless they somehow fuck that up.
But that would literally be the final nail in the coffin for their growth.

Top Bottom