• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cyberpunk 2077...next to be delayed? [confirmed]

Ferdimage

I'm ok with a delay, ease the month of April for me, too many good games that month.
How many months was it when Witcher 3 was delayed from its original date?

Last edited:

EDMIX

Likely.

They want more room to move units and a delay can get them more development time and a better release window. They need to get as many RPG fans on board and that could be hard with a FFVII remake release, so I expect a delay.

Banned
of course it's gonna be delayed... every freaking game gets delayed, it's very rare that a game like this (big, ambitious game that isn't part of an annualised IP) doesn't get delayed

at this point I already expect it for every game that announces a release date.
If they announce a game will come out in... say... March, In my mind I will instantly expect at least a 1 to 2 month delay, so they say March and I hear May... they say May and I'll hear July.

uhm... yeah...

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
I doubt it will get delayed. CD is more competent than SE.

tenor.gif

ruvikx

Banned
I doubt it will get delayed. CD is more competent than SE.

Despite the evident lololol aspect of this news, I just hope they're not now focusing on next gen systems (hyping a game on current gen & then telling people "buy next gen to experience the full awesomeness" would be low), likewise I'm not entirely convinced that's a good release window if it's still targeting current gen consoles. I have memories of a certain Grand Turismo 6 getting released on the ps3 around the time the ps4 released & it didn't sell so well. It just seems far too late & far too close to next gen.

ruvikx

Banned
This is probably consolles version fault.

They are probably studying black magic to make this game run decent on these old ass hardware.

This is just something which drives me mad, i.e. this "old ass hardware" (circa 2013 consoles) would have been seen as a godsend from heaven to the guys making Final Fantasy 12 or MGS4 back once upon a time. How about just target the hardware & stop aiming above what is currently possible? It seems crazy to me how developers design stuff which could run like crap on the hardware people have invested in. I'm not saying this is entirely the situation with Cyberpunk, but considering the ambitious reveal it seems logical to assume the same devs who struggled to get 2015 Witcher 3 to run properly on current gen would also struggle with their new game unless they dialled back their visual ambition.

ultrazilla

Need more time to retrofit this to the shitty old consoles.

And it will still run like arse on them come the 17th September.

Hope you guys like patches.

Hoping now that they'll consider a Nintendo Switch Pro port now.....

I'm not upset by this news. Plenty of awesome games to play and finish until then.

Solarstrike

The calculations and understanding required of the algorithms of space and time to know when a game will be delayed before the Creator of the game even announces it, is not only testament to one's passion for gaming but passion for the entire industry as well. I think the OP deserves a free month or two of Gold. Fucking nailed it. However, I think most can agree though, the game will be even better and at least attain 27fps in 4k with RTX ON.

Jaxcellent

This is great news, I was forced to choose between FF7 Remake and Cyberpunk, so now i will have more time to play, also, I hope they launch on Nextgen, kinda like a BOTW scenario but with a 3rd party game...

EDMIX

I mean...you thought a delay somehow points to a developer being not being"competent". Trust me....we didn't see EA launching BF4 on time as "competent" as it as loaded with bugs. A delay means something is wrong but at least they are trying to fix it Based on this logic, Square delays about a month, CDPR delays for several months..... who do you think has the bigger issues?

EDMIX

This is probably consolles version fault.

They are probably studying black magic to make this game run decent on these old ass hardware.

I doubt it. Why is everyone else able to create games and not them? So when someone has to delay a title this many times and then starts to remove features, I don't blame hardware, I question why they team didn't know this ALREADY when they started creating the game in the first place. This isn't this first time making a game this gen, this isn't the first open world game this gen...

Whats the issue exactly? What exactly are they trying to do that has never been done before that the hardware THEY ALREADY WORKED ON BEFORE is to blame? So I don't fault hardware for this, I fault the developer themselves. They knew for years what the systems could and couldn't do and based on what they are doing, I'm puzzled at what exactly they are having a hard time with as many, many...MANY open world games exist.

They removed buying apartments, never mind you can do this in GTA SA and VC.

They don't want to add 3rd person as a option, never mind you can swap it on Fallout and Elder Scrolls.....LAST GEN!

So its starting to sound like this is the team having trouble with doing stuff that has already been done vs the hardware. As you got to question how all the other open world games exist this gen, yet this team is having issues with 2004 features. Folks can tell me about the size and scope of the city, yet Ubisoft cranks out AC Origins, Odyssey and Ragnarok. Not the same games, but the reality is.....if the size is really giving them issues, how on earth are those other games even existing at all? So I'm still buying the game day 1, but I'm not ready to start blaming hardware on a developers issues, that clearly is not happening to all the other developers that have no issue releasing open world games this gen.

S Slings and Arrows lol I still got that 20% Amazon discount on pre-orders! THEY GONE PAY WHAT DAY OWE DOE!
Ribi Ribi Though I don't think its vaperware, I worry about the delay. I'm ok with it for them to make it as good as they can, but seeing how they already are removing features, this tells me maybe this team isn't as good as folks suggest. Its not saying hardware may not be some issue, simply that they already knew about hardware as this isn't their first game on it. If they don't know how to do those things, all it tells me is that this team just isn't as good as folks try to claim. All I see from this is Deus Ex with cars. If that is a MASSIVE issue for this team, that alone worries me as they are not even doing anything that different or new to open worlds to be having this issue.

So I'm sure it will come out, how much will be downgraded and removed is another story. Will they even tell us is another story, remember Witcher 3? Game went from realistic looking to cartoony over night.

Last edited:

GymWolf

I doubt it. Why is everyone else able to create games and not them? So when someone has to delay a title this many times and then starts to remove features, I don't blame hardware, I question why they team didn't know this ALREADY when they started creating the game in the first place. This isn't this first time making a game this gen, this isn't the first open world game this gen...

Whats the issue exactly? What exactly are they trying to do that has never been done before that the hardware THEY ALREADY WORKED ON BEFORE is to blame? So I don't fault hardware for this, I fault the developer themselves. They knew for years what the systems could and couldn't do and based on what they are doing, I'm puzzled at what exactly they are having a hard time with as many, many...MANY open world games exist.

They removed buying apartments, never mind you can do this in GTA SA and VC.

They don't want to add 3rd person as a option, never mind you can swap it on Fallout and Elder Scrolls.....LAST GEN!

So its starting to sound like this is the team having trouble with doing stuff that has already been done vs the hardware. As you got to question how all the other open world games exist this gen, yet this team is having issues with 2004 features. Folks can tell me about the size and scope of the city, yet Ubisoft cranks out AC Origins, Odyssey and Ragnarok. Not the same games, but the reality is.....if the size is really giving them issues, how on earth are those other games even existing at all? So I'm still buying the game day 1, but I'm not ready to start blaming hardware on a developers issues, that clearly is not happening to all the other developers that have no issue releasing open world games this gen.

S Slings and Arrows lol I still got that 20% Amazon discount on pre-orders! THEY GONE PAY WHAT DAY OWE DOE!
Ribi Ribi Though I don't think its vaperware, I worry about the delay. I'm ok with it for them to make it as good as they can, but seeing how they already are removing features, this tells me maybe this team isn't as good as folks suggest. Its not saying hardware may not be some issue, simply that they already knew about hardware as this isn't their first game on it. If they don't know how to do those things, all it tells me is that this team just isn't as good as folks try to claim. All I see from this is Deus Ex with cars. If that is a MASSIVE issue for this team, that alone worries me as they are not even doing anything that different or new to open worlds to be having this issue.

So I'm sure it will come out, how much will be downgraded and removed is another story. Will they even tell us is another story, remember Witcher 3? Game went from realistic looking to cartoony over night.
what can i say? they are ambitious with their projects but they still have to learn how to scale down for lesser hardware before ever creating a game.

next gen can't come soon enough for games of this scope.

EDMIX

what can i say? they are ambitious with their projects but they still have to learn how to scale down for lesser hardware before ever creating a game.

next gen can't come soon enough for games of this scope.

With what feature? Its not the first open world game with cars. So I see nothing to claim its "ambitious" as to why they are having issues as they are not even doing anything that hasn't even been done this gen. Have you see the damn size of AC Odyssey, Breath of The Wild Dying Light 2 etc? So until someone actually CITES A REAL FEATURE thats happening in this game that is some huge first, give me a size that is the biggest, give me a count of the number of buildings that is the largest in such a game etc as its sounding to me like they can't create a open world game with cars, never mind that open world games with cars exist no issue this gen.

Is 3rd person being a option ambitious too? When they removed buying apartments....was that just too ambitious too? So when they have issues with 2004 features, I have to start worrying here. In this respect, I'm not going to blame the hardware, CDPR knew what hardware they where working on several years ago, at this point the fault is on the teams if they were unaware of what they hardware could do, as other teams are making open world games with cars and not scratching their heads at 2004 features and how to make them work. This is more and more starting to sound like a "them" issue and not a real issue with the hardware itself as why on earth are other open world games being made on current gen hardware without such issues?

Don't you think its weird everyone else is able to know the hardware they are working on and develop accordingly? Until they give a real feature that is a first, new, the largest or most count of something, its sounding like they are just having issues with making a bigger Deus Ex.... That doesn't sound like anything ground breaking to me.

ultrazilla

Hoping this means they may have considered the feedback aka backlash from not having a proper third-person view option and
it's a least *part* of the delay.

GymWolf

With what feature? Its not the first open world game with cars. So I see nothing to claim its "ambitious" as to why they are having issues as they are not even doing anything that hasn't even been done this gen. Have you see the damn size of AC Odyssey, Breath of The Wild Dying Light 2 etc? So until someone actually CITES A REAL FEATURE thats happening in this game that is some huge first, give me a size that is the biggest, give me a count of the number of buildings that is the largest in such a game etc as its sounding to me like they can't create a open world game with cars, never mind that open world games with cars exist no issue this gen.

Is 3rd person being a option ambitious too? When they removed buying apartments....was that just too ambitious too? So when they have issues with 2004 features, I have to start worrying here. In this respect, I'm not going to blame the hardware, CDPR knew what hardware they where working on several years ago, at this point the fault is on the teams if they were unaware of what they hardware could do, as other teams are making open world games with cars and not scratching their heads at 2004 features and how to make them work. This is more and more starting to sound like a "them" issue and not a real issue with the hardware itself as why on earth are other open world games being made on current gen hardware without such issues?

Don't you think its weird everyone else is able to know the hardware they are working on and develop accordingly? Until they give a real feature that is a first, new, the largest or most count of something, its sounding like they are just having issues with making a bigger Deus Ex.... That doesn't sound like anything ground breaking to me.
AC odissey is big but it's a copypaste of origins, with a lot of copypaste forts to conquer, 90% of linear quest, and a shitload of half-baked features, but it's not even close to what cyberpunk is trying to achieve from what we saw in the trailers.

and zelda has a good physics mechanics and it's big, but it's not that complicated as a game and his quest are ridiculous, also almost no story.
and a lot of areas are very little dense.

i'll give you dying light 2 because he looks freaking fantastic.

they are big games but cyberpunk looks more stratified.

i mean, have you asked yourself why a shitload of people are fucking their brains out for this game?

yeah you have a point, cdproject are pretty shitty at dealing with console hardware, but the fact remains that these are old ass hardware and for big games like this one, is not a simple task to work with.

Last edited:

EDMIX

AC odissey is big but it's a copypaste of origins

Nope. 2 completely different worlds.

not even close to what cyberpunk is trying to achieve

And what is that exactly? Like...literally what features are you talking about?

they are big games but cyberpunk looks more stratified.

Hitman 1 and 2 this gen have massive NPCs and huge open worlds and 2 em exist this gen..... The point I'm making is simple, what they are doing isn't new, the issue they are having other teams are clearly not having to the same level which tells me its not solely the hardware but the team itself. Hitman 2 shouldn't even exist by that same logic btw. Yet...it does.

old ass hardware and for big games like this one, is not a simple task to work with.

Its not, by no means, but open world games with lots of NPCs, cars etc exist this gen none the less. I've yet to see anything and many are not even giving 1 feature to argue is new, hasn't been done or being done the most to really argue whats happening with this game. As of right now, its just a bigger Deus Ex with cars. That doesn't sound like anything impossible as for all we know, that is exactly what Square will do for Deus Ex in the future as it already has a big world, they'd just make it bigger....but making it bigger and adding cars isn't some revolutionary feat even remotely.

i mean, have you asked yourself why a shitload of people are fucking their brains out for this game?

Thats nice...people are free to be hype about a game, but its nothing more then people being hype about what they WANT it to be vs what it 100% factually is. its why many on here are even having a hard time giving any objective features that would answer the issues going on with this game. I'm not trying to get hype based on what I want it to be as suppose to being hype about factually what they told us it actually is.

Could Ubisoft not say this about delaying Origin "Egypt is massive - full of stories, content and places to visit, but due to the sheer scale and complexity of it all" etc Odyssey "Greece is massive - full of stories, content and places to visit, but due to the sheer scale and complexity of it all" etc or how about even Square with Deus ex lol be like "Prague is massive - full of stories, content and places to visit, but due to the sheer scale and complexity of it all" etc So none of that tells us any feature that is soooooooo different that some how makes it seem as if the hardware is solely to blame. Others make open world games and clearly do so with understanding the limitations of the hardware they are working on.

I fault the team for this. This isn't the first open world game ever made with cars to really make it seem as if this team is making some brand new concept thus is having issues. Bigger Deus Ex with cars until feature notice imho.

johntown

Banned
Well this sucks. I went from having too much to play in Spring to almost nothing.

Well I guess it will be Metro Exodus, Borderlands 3 or Doom Eternal because I doubt Elden Ring will release in the spring either.

Top Bottom