• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cyberpunk 2077 Official Ray Tracing PC Requirements

VFXVeteran

Banned
dude I get you get a hard on for RT lighting. here's the thing tho, and I'm pretty sure we already had a conversation like this...

lighting looks pretty good in most games already.

reflections look like utter shit in most games.

so where would you dedicate the RT hardware towards? the thing that already looks pretty good, or the thing that looks like shit?
the one that might have small irregularities or the one that can completely fail depending on the angle of the camera?

at the moment RT performance is very limited, even on PC cards. so I say concentrate on Reflections first because these need it more than shadows, AO or GI.

If you can't see the failure in lighting, then I don't know what to tell you. You guys loved Demon Souls for 2 things done differently to the game. Just 2. 1) Higher res textures and 2) Dynamic shadow on his internal light source. Both of those things were missing in the Dark Souls franchise.

Lighting is extremely important. If you ever get a chance to take a look at Crysis REmake on "Can it Run Crysis" mode, check out how a real forest is supposed to look with RT GI instead of painted in occlusion on the roots of grass that don't change according to the illumination around the area (like every other game to date).

All I can say is I hope you guys will finally soon see what I have seen for this many years. DF did a video on Control and it's RT lighting with complete comparisons and the difference is jarring.

Last edited:

Redefine07

So Xbox One/X and PS4/Pro will run this game at lower that low settings ? I feel kinda bad with my GPU (RX570 4GB VRAM QQ) but I don't want to get a new one this year no stock here on RTX3070 I will wait for 3060/Ti since I play at 1080p still xD I like this monitor when I upgrade I'll go for 1440p 144hz or so.

Last edited:

alucard0712_rus

Gold Member
Those are with or without DLSS?
Edit: Well, fuck! Those requirements with DLSS! :messenger_face_screaming:

The minimum GPU for Ray Tracing, at 1920x1080, is the GeForce RTX 2060. Gamers will explore Night City with Medium Ray Tracing Preset powered by DLSS.

At 2560x1440, we recommend a GeForce RTX 3070 or GeForce RTX 2080 Ti. Ray tracing is taken to Ultra, which greatly increases the fidelity of the aforementioned effects, and the distance at which they are visible, while DLSS provides boosted frame rates with uncompromised image quality. And with rasterized settings also being cranked to Ultra, GeForce RTX 3070 and 2080 Ti gamers receive an incredible experience at the highest detail levels, unmatched by any other platform.

Last edited:

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
i'm glad i have a 144hz gsync monitor :) it's gonna be tough to get to and stay at 60fps in this game. i remember playing Witcher 3 with recommended hardware and i was getting ~1080p 40-60fps. i'm expecting similar performance but at least i'll not have to deal with stuttering/screen tearing and maybe with DLSS at 1080p it won't look so bad on my 1440p screen.

TheKratos

This game is the reason I'm waiting before upgrading to 30xx. If my 2080ti holds up, I'm skipping this gen (untill my fingers get itchy lol).

sendit

Console game focus more on art for it's visuals.. not big tech. What do you not get? I always believe in power because I know it takes power to get to where we all want to be! You can't approach film quality by 'hacking' your way through this.

DLSS says hi.

Dampf

Those are with or without DLSS?
Edit: Well, fuck! Those requirements with DLSS! :messenger_face_screaming:

The minimum GPU for Ray Tracing, at 1920x1080, is the GeForce RTX 2060. Gamers will explore Night City with Medium Ray Tracing Preset powered by DLSS.

At 2560x1440, we recommend a GeForce RTX 3070 or GeForce RTX 2080 Ti. Ray tracing is taken to Ultra, which greatly increases the fidelity of the aforementioned effects, and the distance at which they are visible, while DLSS provides boosted frame rates with uncompromised image quality. And with rasterized settings also being cranked to Ultra, GeForce RTX 3070 and 2080 Ti gamers receive an incredible experience at the highest detail levels, unmatched by any other platform.
That doesn't mean much without the target framerate. It's likely the text is not directly refering to the spec sheet. I think the spec sheet is for 30 FPS, but DLSS gets you to 60, that makes the most sense.

Last edited:

evanft

Someone asked them on Twitter if the specs had 60fps as target. This was their answer :

"Probably depends heavily on DLSS settings.

If DLSS is factored in the graph, I say “likely.”

If not, then it’s close. Just my guess"

So basically, 60fps only with DLSS.

LMAO. Literally right under their user name my guy:

The most excruciating #Cyberpunk2077 countdown on the Internet is not affiliated with
@CDPROJEKTRED

Madflavor

That doesn't mean much without the target framerate. It's likely the text is not directly refering to the spec sheet. I think the spec sheet is for 30 FPS, but DLSS gets you to 60, that makes the most sense.

That makes sense to me to. If a 2060 can't run the game on Ultra at 45-60fps on a 1440p, with RTX turned off and DLSS enabled, then what the fuck. Especially considering how much time they've spent working on and optimizing its performance.

alucard0712_rus

Gold Member
Maybe.
I'm defenetely playing 1440p on Ultra+Ultra RT. 2070S.

Dampf

Maybe.
I'm defenetely playing 1440p on Ultra+Ultra RT. 2070S.
Ultra is a huge waste of resources in most cases, as it doesn't increase visual fidelity that much. Play it at medium RT (if the effects are all on that is) and on High, with some sliders to maximum, like LOD and shadow draw distance. That will get you the best visual to performance ratio.

Last edited:

Ascend

At first I didn't like the art style, but this looks very good. In some scenes the RT seems to be a bit low res. Likely it would be too demanding otherwise. Not that I think alternate solutions would be better though.

VFXVeteran

Banned
DLSS says hi.

Right. And that's required. Even in film we can't use brute force sampling to get rid of noise. We have to use a solution like DLSS even for 1 frame.

I was mainly talking about light probes and crap like that.

Last edited:

RedVIper

Banned
Those CPU requirements can't be accurate.

Why does high require a 3200g and Ultra require a 3600 that's a huge jump.

regawdless

Banned
I'll lock down to whatever gives me the best FPS with 4k + DLSS + Ultra everything.

Depends on the DLSS implementation. In WD Legion for example, the raytraced reflections become very low res because they don't upscale like the rest of the image. Making me not use DLSS, because I only need it if I want raytracing. But when it makes the raytraced reflections ugly, then there is no point in doing it for me.

VFXVeteran

Banned
Depends on the DLSS implementation. In WD Legion for example, the raytraced reflections become very low res because they don't upscale like the rest of the image. Making me not use DLSS, because I only need it if I want raytracing. But when it makes the raytraced reflections ugly, then there is no point in doing it for me.

ALL of RT will render the scene at a much lower res than the actual final rendered frame. There is no way that any GPU is capable of rendering RT at full res (4k). We are still several generations from that. So the lighting will be more subtle to you (and less noisy) but it's still rendered at low res.

VFXVeteran

Banned
With my i7-5820K, I was experiencing an 8% bottleneck in the Boundary Ray Tracing benchmark.

Yea, 8% isn't very significant for me. Most of the games will top at 60FPS. Maybe if I had a faster CPU, I could push 60FPS more with games like AC:V but it seems that's not sustainable even on the highest end CPUs.. it all depends on the game and how much they offload the GPU. At this point, upgrading the CPU will probably be required 3x as longer than a GPU. The games are very GPU limited these days and it'll get even worse as devs push things to the card.

regawdless

Banned
ALL of RT will render the scene at a much lower res than the actual final rendered frame. There is no way that any GPU is capable of rendering RT at full res (4k). We are still several generations from that. So the lighting will be more subtle to you (and less noisy) but it's still rendered at low res.

Of course, but I mean that in WD Legion, when you go from native 1440p to 1440p DLSS, the reflections become way more low res and the quality becomes really bad.

VFXVeteran

Banned
Of course, but I mean that in WD Legion, when you go from native 1440p to 1440p DLSS, the reflections become way more low res and the quality becomes really bad.

Oh right. I am looking at things from 4k always. I've never rendered at 1440p with my GPUs for years. I made my 2080Ti render 4k/30 to keep 4k visuals.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Strange they didn't include any of the new AMD cards within the RT requirements. Seems like the software isn't ready yet.

alucard0712_rus

Gold Member
Thats what Im always talking about when it comes to DLSS. With RT thats a lot of noise if you use it with DLSS.

mr.dilya

Banned
Curious to see if I can get 60-75fps @1080p with 2700x and 5700xt at high/medium settings since ray tracing is out of the question. Guess we’ll find out in 3 weeks.

Last edited:

Dampf

Well RT reflections can't be reconstructed by DLSS currently, because they lack motion vectors.

I do think it's a mistake to couple RT rendering resolution to DLSS e.g. native rendering resolution like its in Fortnite and Watch Dogs, as it makes it look like lower res RT reflections are the fault of DLSS, and AMD does not use DLSS as well so they have no chance of adjusting the RT reflections.

It's always recommended to couple screen percentage to the target res and let users decide via RT options how high res they are. So Ultra could be at 70%, High at 50, Medium to 35 and Low to 25% screen percentage.

Last edited:

sendit

Right. And that's required. Even in film we can't use brute force sampling to get rid of noise. We have to use a solution like DLSS even for 1 frame.

I was mainly talking about light probes and crap like that.

What I’m trying to say is that DLSS frees up graphical bandwidth of running at a lower resolution other than native. Also if we are talking about filmic quality, we are locking frame rates at 24 FPS which frees up even more graphical bandwidth.

Also: https://developer.nvidia.com/optix-denoiser

I honestly think we are going to see some amazing things going forward with machine learning/AI based solutions. Brute forcing with more power has become stagnate in a sense that we aren’t seeing exponential growth.

llien

On vs off in motion (OP would be much better with RT off pics next to RT On, else it is something vs god knows what)

(video mostly sucks)

(somewhat better)

Last edited:

mr.dilya

Banned
On vs off in motion (OP would be much better with RT off pics next to RT On, else it is something vs god knows what)

(video mostly sucks)

(somewhat better)

is this accurate? Aside from that desert scene I really didn’t see a substantial boost in visuals with ray tracing on.

llien

is this accurate? Aside from that desert scene I really didn’t see a substantial boost in visuals with ray tracing on.

I don't know how accurate that is (didn't listen to reviewers either, just watched videos).
Scene in the desert was impressive on RT side, shinier sculpture was too.
The flamethrower not being shown in non RT version was simply BS, it's just devs didn't bother including it.

Inside garage scene, non-RT looked better to me (perhaps authors messed up labeling?)
E.g. ray traced side here is... on the left:

BQ5l4be.png

Here RTX is.... OFF?

IzKMyxO.png

This one is weird, "Microwave in Use" label doesn't have the same size.
Blurred on the left (again that DLSS TAA crap???).

rQSNcLt.png

Overall, quite in line with my expectations to be honest.
You cannot expect game developers to invest major effort into something only a tiny share of the customers would see.
Odds could have been different, had it also been enabled on consoles.

Last edited:

Murr

Can play on High for now. I wanted to upgrade my build this year, but with all the shortages i delayed it to 2021. Not really a fan of paying a 30-50% markup on everything.
At least i can can enjoy the improvements after i build my next PC.

Top Bottom